ADVERTISEMENT

The Best Trick Plays in College Football

Thigh Man

Jan 14, 2014
I just happened to watch a video clip on 'The Best Trick Plays in College Football' and while I'm not an advocate, it never hurts to have one or two tricks up your sleeve, in case you need one and the timing is right, with the right players involved.

To be honest, the clip became a bit tedious as it was about 25 minutes long and the vast majority involved either Flea Flickers (the QB hands off to a RB, who then either flips the ball back to the QB who then passes to a wide open receiver down field or, the RB passes the ball to the QB who has continued down field as an eligible receiver) or, what I'll call Double Passes (I know, actually a cross field lateral and then the forward pass). One actually had two across field laterals and then the forward pass.

However, four grabbed my attention. #1 & #2 were virtually identical. The ball was on the right hash mark. At the snap, the left tackle blocked no one and immediately ran towards the left sideline. The QB handed off to a WR, giving the appearance of a Jet Sweep to the right. The WR stopped & then threw a cross field lateral to the wide open left tackle.

In #3, the team initially lined up on the right hash mark in a regular formation. Prior to the snap, everyone, except the snapper & QB shifted to the far left sideline & lined up. The snapper was now at the end of line and an eligible receiver. A little 6 yard dump pass and the uncovered , untouched snapper was gone.

#4, my favorite, could probably only be pulled off by Boise State with their Smurf Blue Field and Smurf Blue Uniforms. After the opposing team scored, one of Boise's return men went into the corner of the end zone and laid face down. He didn't move a muscle until after the kick returner caught the ball and headed up field. You got it right. Another cross field lateral
and you never saw another player from either team in the replay. All 4 plays went for TD's.

When they work, you're a genius ... when they don't, you're looking for work.

#4, my favorite, could probably only be pulled off by Boise State with their Smurf Blue Field and Smurf Blue Uniforms. After the opposing team scored, one of Boise's return men went into the corner of the end zone and laid face down. He didn't move a muscle until after the kick returner caught the ball and headed up field. You got it right. Another cross field lateral
and you never saw another player from either team in the replay. All 4 plays went for TD's.

This was my favorite play, but note that they outlawed this last year. If a player voluntarily lays on the ground he is presumed injured, so if he receives the ball it immediately becomes a dead ball play.

"OU didn’t, losing to Texas 48-45, but attempted by taking a page out of TCU's playbook. Sooners receiver Marquise Brown laid down in the end zone on the kickoff, but was removed before the play started.

Why? Two weeks before that TCU did a similar stunt against Ohio State with Jalen Reagor laying down in the end zone.

It turns out, according to a report in the Austin American-Statesman, NCAA secretary-rules editor Steve Shaw sent out a reminder of the interpretation of the rule to officials after the TCU-Ohio State game.

Players are not allowed to lay down and “hide” in the end zone (or anywhere on the field). If they do, they must be treated as an injured player and removed from the game for one play.

Once the ball is kicked, players could lay down but that would likely take out the element of surprise on the trick play.

Still, TCU almost pulled it off against Ohio State.

Ohio State had taken a 26-21 lead in the third quarter and, on the ensuing kickoff, Reagor disguised himself in the end zone. Returner KaVontae Turpin received the ball and tossed it to Reagor, who raced down the sidelines for a would-be touchdown.

But Turpin’s pass went forward and an illegal forward pass penalty wiped out a momentum-changing play.

After the game, TCU coach Gary Patterson explained the play.

“I was upset because we had a touchdown,” Patterson said.“We told him [Turpin] not to throw it forward and he [Reagor] wasn’t supposed to lay down in the end zone before we started the kickoff for heaven’s sake.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article219832650.html

Reactions: Thigh Man
It was not a trick play but how about the fair catch that wasn't this past season?

Pretty neat!
While watching that North Texas/Arkansas play, I came across another clip of shall we say, NFL Mental Lapses.... Pretty darn funny, especially for the Pros.

Run a Fake punt after the intentional delay of game. I have never seen it done, but I think it would work. The other team is sure to relax after the penalty.

Reactions: DrMickey
Was it Toby Cates to Reggie Richardson on the crossfield lateral vs. Clemson in (?) 92’
That was amazing!

I’m not sure who caught the pass, but it was thrown by our friend Brandon Bennett. I talked with him about it once, and he was either going to pass the ball or catch the pass, depending on where it was kicked.

I haven’t been to a lot of games at Clemson (only 3), but I was at that one and it was sweet. It was still close at the half so that was an awesome play. It was on the kickoff opening the second half.

A bit of trivia: That was the old voice of the Gamecocks Bob Fulton’s last regular season game. He was given an award on the field, and he was in the elevator back to the press box for the 2nd half kickoff and he missed the play. Pretty funny.

Reactions: Gaimcock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT