ADVERTISEMENT

The numbers don’t lie. Muschamp won more his

Mar 12, 2016
first three years than Spurrier, 22-21. Muschamp has gone to more bowls in his first three years than Spurrier, 3-2. Am I saying Muschamp is a better coach than Spurrier? Obviously, I’m not at this point. But what I am saying is when I step back and look at the big picture, I’m ok with Muschamp at this point and I support him. Hopefully he will continue to fix this program and make it a winner. It may take some time, and I’ll willing to be patient as long as we are headed in the right direction. And yes, for the record, I respect and appreciate Spurrier. I don’t like how he left in the middle of the season, but I do like the good things he accomplished while he was here.

The way we were prepared for the Clemson game showed me that he can coach his players to play loose in big games and start fast and keep it up for 4 quarters. I was wondering if he'd ever figure it out and he did, against the taters of all teams.

I think the big difference here is that Spurrier was obviously just getting started (or at least had a prior record of winning to grant leeway). We're not sure if this is Champ's ceiling.

No arguing the facts. More wins in his first 3 years than any Carolina coach ever. Considering how thoroughly our program got flushed in 2014-2015 and the rise of Clemson (and, to a lesser extent, Georgia) during that time, it's even more impressive.

He's got a few bogeymen to beat. More wins against top 25 teams, snapping the streak against UK, and beating Clemson are the big 3. At least we now know that we can do some good things on offense.

People forget how long Spurrier was here before he did anything of substance. His early years were terrible. Muschamp has improved us significantly in a short amount of time.

Hmmm... pump the brakes chief . Spurrier beat Florida and UT his first season . Something that never happened at SC . Spurrier went to back to back bowl games his first two seasons , that had only happen once before . He also beat two top ten teams ... Kentucky and Ole Miss in his first few years . He wasn’t lighting the world on fire but he definitely wasn’t terrible or not doing anything of substance . Not discounting what Muschamp is doing but call it like it is .

Hmmm... pump the brakes chief . Spurrier beat Florida and UT his first season . Something that never happened at SC . Spurrier went to back to back bowl games his first two seasons , that had only happen once before . He also beat two top ten teams ... Kentucky and Ole Miss in his first few years . He wasn’t lighting the world on fire but he definitely wasn’t terrible or not doing anything of substance . Not discounting what Muschamp is doing but call it like it is .
Everything you said is correct, but I think the passage of time has given a little context to those facts. The early win against Tennessee was exciting, especially being at Neyland. That Tennessee team finished 5-6. The Florida team Spurrier beat his first year was better, finishing 9-4, but far from the teams that finished 13-1 and won National Championships.
The Top 10 wins against Kentucky and Ole Miss: Kentucky rose to Top 10 status with a 5-0 start that features wins against Eastern Kentucky, Kent State, and Florida Atlantic. They would finish the season 8-5 with a losing record in conference. Ole Miss finished 9-4, and just 4-4 in conference. Also, those wins came in years 4 and 5.

Years 1-3 for Spurrier went 7-5, 8-5, and 6-6 with no bowl game, following a late season collapse that lead to 5 straight losses to finish the season.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
I’m sorry, try as you might, muschamp is not spurrier and no matter the harping of the op we all know it. The absolute “egg laying “ in a handful of games each year has not endeared me to muschamp. Can that be remedied? Yup. Time for a top 15 recruiting class and start getting some top 25 wins.

Everything you said is correct, but I think the passage of time has given a little context to those facts. The early win against Tennessee was exciting, especially being at Neyland. That Tennessee team finished 5-6. The Florida team Spurrier beat his first year was better, finishing 9-4, but far from the teams that finished 13-1 and won National Championships.
The Top 10 wins against Kentucky and Ole Miss: Kentucky rose to Top 10 status with a 5-0 start that features wins against Eastern Kentucky, Kent State, and Florida Atlantic. They would finish the season 8-5 with a losing record in conference. Ole Miss finished 9-4, and just 4-4 in conference. Also, those wins came in years 4 and 5.

Years 1-3 for Spurrier went 7-5, 8-5, and 6-6 with no bowl game, following a late season collapse that lead to 5 straight losses to finish the season.

I agree with every point you make . However he did do things in his first few seasons that had never happened at USC before . In his second year he beat UGA and Clemson . Year 3 was complete disaster but that team was ranked in the top 10 before the wheels came off against Vandy . I think more than anything people actually gave a damn about USC . Before Spurrier it was a miracle to find a televised USC game and as soon as he arrived we were on ESPN every weekend . Not arguing any of your points Btw , your dead on . Just responding to the previous post that Spurrier had done nothing significant in his first few years .

He's been very effective at beating the teams we're supposed to beat.

And yet no top 25 wins. Hmmm

What are you talking about? Mizzou is top 25 this year. Michigan was top 25 last year. UT the year before. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, just not their own facts.

Reactions: PC31

You nailed it, Lord Snow.

Reactions: Jon Snow
What are you talking about? Mizzou is top 25 this year. Michigan was top 25 last year. UT the year before. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, just not their own facts.

Might want to check on the Michigan was ranked last year fact.

UT was #22 and on a major downward spiral which included coach firing.

Incorrect. Butch Jones did not get fired until last year. They beat Nebraska in a bowl game the season we beat them.

I was wrong. It was NC State who was top 25.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...s-2017-official-committee-poll-for-final-week

Mizzou did break into the Top 25 after a second half surge.

The lack of a "surge" in the 1st half of Mizzou's season might have to do with playing Bama, UGA, Kentucky and USC.

But we played them without Bentley anyway. We stole that game with superior coaching.

first three years than Spurrier, 22-21. Muschamp has gone to more bowls in his first three years than Spurrier, 3-2. Am I saying Muschamp is a better coach than Spurrier? Obviously, I’m not at this point. But what I am saying is when I step back and look at the big picture, I’m ok with Muschamp at this point and I support him. Hopefully he will continue to fix this program and make it a winner. It may take some time, and I’ll willing to be patient as long as we are headed in the right direction. And yes, for the record, I respect and appreciate Spurrier. I don’t like how he left in the middle of the season, but I do like the good things he accomplished while he was here.
People forget when spurrier got here Georgia had just won the Sec the previous year. Then Florida then Tennessee won east Back then the east was the best side of the conference

Btw .. I really wanted to say “You know Nothing Jon Snow”. but you actually do so it wouldn’t be as cool !!

Reactions: Jon Snow
Seems like Spurrier let the John Hunt situation drag on a lot longer than the Muschamp Roper situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT