ADVERTISEMENT

The State newspaper slams Hilinski Hope

With all due respect king, this is above winning or losing.
It should be perhaps, but it really isn't and it never is when losing sets in. You don't suppose this article would have been written had we won, do you? The correlation is inescapable. We are on our way to a calamitous season. Don't spend too much emotional energy on this article because the worst might be yet to come. The worst probably is yet to come. I would say we are on course for Both Hilinski and Bentley to transfer and for Doty to possibly decommit.

The state issued an apology to the school and Ryan’s family, claim the Hope connection was unintentional... Something about editors in Charlotte? Dumb...

The state issued an apology to the school and Ryan’s family, claim the Hope connection was unintentional... Something about editors in Charlotte? Dumb...
Not defending the headline or excusing what happened, but newspapers have been cutting staff and consolidating into a central location (Charlotte for Columbia; Louisville for Greenville, etc.) for the past decade or more. Several newspapers are edited and/or designed daily by someone who quite often has never been in the communities the newspapers serve. They have no connection. It's just assembly line work they do for consumers they never see and never interact with regarding topics they don't have the same "feel" for that their audience does.

I can get over the annoyance of that company (the state paper) hiring children to stand in the middle of busy intersections selling their papers on weekends..... and placing salesmen in grocery stores to hustle shoppers into buying a subscription... You basically have to fight them off with a stick to be able to shop as they chase you around. That’s what they do in Columbia. it’s SO annoying. But now they are condoning suicide. WooooOw! What a shitty company.

And THE STATE PAPER already writes Hilinski off as a failure? The guy is a FRESHMAN QB who made some rookie mistakes in his first SEC away game. Who cares!!! Fans haven’t given up on Hilinski like the State Paper thinks we should. Again, what a crappy news agency. Want to make an apology? then make a positive difference for once by making a MAJOR donation to Hilinski’s suicide prevention campaign.

Last edited:

I don't buy that for one minute. These "journalists" (cough communists) know exactly what they are doing. They're doing it all over the country daily, hourly, by the minute. It's not an accident.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
It should be perhaps, but it really isn't and it never is when losing sets in. You don't suppose this article would have been written had we won, do you? The correlation is inescapable. We are on our way to a calamitous season. Don't spend too much emotional energy on this article because the worst might be yet to come. The worst probably is yet to come. I would say we are on course for Both Hilinski and Bentley to transfer and for Doty to possibly decommit.
No, no they wont. They have character and will fight on like they should. You on the other hand.......................

Reactions: jackrabbit slim
Those dirtbags at The State have always had it in for this University. We have a similar left-wing rag paper here in Atlanta but they do manage to support the local sports teams.

superfluous, redundant, but consistent with your style of posting

your Hilinski and Doty comments are uncalled for, "king"

Rants against The State are well deserved by them.

Now, if you really want to see them go away, call or send messages to the advertisers in the newspaper with your complaints. That will actually make something positive happen besides the suits in Charlotte continuing to carry on as usual.

Well, Beth Phibbs distorted the headline horribly. It's a lot more straightforward than that and it has nothing to do with a foundation of mental health or any other nonsense she is spewing. There is a very simple version of the headline that isn't offensive:
  • After the Alabama game, Gamecocks were filled with hope and expectations were raised.(and with good reason)
  • After the Missouri game it is clear that Hilinski is still a true freshman and the level of hope for this season needs to be tempered.
Ultimately USC should have great hope in the future promise of Hilinski. He has great potential. He's just not the immediate savior that some hoped.

Shut up with that lame excuse of a justification.

GOCOCKS! BEATKY!

Reactions: FORKCOCK
I was on Facebook a couple hours ago and their apology already had 800+ comments from Pissed off fans. They are feeling extreme heat and rightfully so.

Great statement by the school. **** The state paper forever. I cannot wait until they shut down. Their death can't come soon enough.

No, no they wont. They have character and will fight on like they should. You on the other hand.......................
I've been fighting my whole life. As for your retort: could be, could be not. And what I wrote was not presented as any more than conjecture, as you very well know. Those eventualities all happening are unlikely, but not beyond the realm of possibility.

I've been fighting my whole life. As for your retort: could be, could be not. And what I wrote was not presented as any more than conjecture, as you very well know. Those eventualities all happening are unlikely, but not beyond the realm of possibility.
Its possible that you my never post here again, but unlikely.

For Christ's sake...then do something about it...tired of hearing about a damn newspaper for years

Reactions: CQCKnFIRE
I don't think they were taking a swipe at the recent publicity about the Hilinski family and their struggles. Think it was purely a catchy sounding little headline totally about the deflation of the Hilinski balloon after a decent showing against Bama. Move on.

Hoping that headline did not cause the family pain. That said, there is no way any journalist would mock a charitable endeavor, especially one devoted to a critical mental health issue. Fault them all you will for being stupid and not knowing about the team they cover. That's fair. Hopefully, good comes from the bad. If this debacle did one thing, it raised awareness of Hilinski's Hope and its mission. Maybe someone out there who needs it will get help. Maybe someone out there who learns about it will donate. Lots of people on here suggesting that others should open their wallets. Let's all do it. I'm in.

Last edited:
Hoping that headline did not cause the family pain. That said, there is no way any journalist would mock a charitable endeavor, especially one devoted to a critical mental health error. Fault them all you will for being stupid and not knowing about the team they cover. That's fair. Hopefully, good comes from the bad. If this debacle did one thing, it raised awareness of Hilinski's Hope and its mission. Maybe someone out there who needs it will get help. Maybe someone out there who learns about it will donate. Lots of people on here suggesting that others should open their wallets. Let's all do it. I'm in.
Any insinuation or claim from them of ignorance is an absolute insult to the intelligence of us all. THEY ARE A NEWSPAPER. THE NEWS IS THEIR BUSINESS. How, on this earth, can they claim to not. Know. About. Hilinski's Hope and what it represents?!???! This is a horrendous look by the state (not that it shocks me), not matter how you (not you specifically, 'you' here in general terms) spin it.

Well, Beth Phibbs distorted the headline horribly. It's a lot more straightforward than that and it has nothing to do with a foundation of mental health or any other nonsense she is spewing. There is a very simple version of the headline that isn't offensive:
  • After the Alabama game, Gamecocks were filled with hope and expectations were raised.(and with good reason)
  • After the Missouri game it is clear that Hilinski is still a true freshman and the level of hope for this season needs to be tempered.
Ultimately USC should have great hope in the future promise of Hilinski. He has great potential. He's just not the immediate savior that some hoped.

Beth Phibbs is that you?

Nice excuse!

Reactions: 92Pony
Any insinuation or claim from them of ignorance is an absolute insult to the intelligence of us all. THEY ARE A NEWSPAPER. THE NEWS IS THEIR BUSINESS. How, on this earth, can they claim to not. Know. About. Hilinski's Hope and what it represents?!???! This is a horrendous look by the state (not that it shocks me), not matter how you (not you specifically, 'you' here in general terms) spin it.

With all of the silly crap I see on this Board, suggesting someone made a most unfortunate error could never insult the so-called "intelligence" of the "fans" here. It was a massive error. If intentional, then obviously heads should roll. I just don't have it in me to assume anyone would be that evil. I know the State has not been good to the Gamecocks, but still . . . .

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT