ADVERTISEMENT

This team really needs a hitting coach.

Well, I knew that would happen after I posted. Keep it up and we won't need another hitting coach.

What is our Opponents' BA and our Opp ERA? those are the stats I would be more interested it. I get the feeling we have some fans "freaking out" because SEC season is coming up and they don't wan to turn into what basketball season turned into, but that is going overboard imo.

combined record of those teams, 14-31. we should be obliterating these guys, at least every other game but our hitting is pathetic.

would you pumpers be happy with a 7-0 shutout of furman in football, cause thats basically the equivalent of what were doing in baseball right now.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Anyone can fall victim to a slump, but an entire team? C'mon! This is not a good hitting team so far. Against quality SEC teams, I'd prefer not to just depend on pitching and less than stellar fielding. What happened to Chad's "awesome" freshman class? If those guys are riding the pine behind sophomores and juniors who aren't hitting their weight, how many of them may look around for opportunities elsewhere?

Let me preface this by saying Im not a hardcore baseball guy. But I am astue at making decent observations now and again. My kid goes to a baseball power house in Ardrey Kell here in Charlotte. My kid plays football, but has a bunch of friends playing baseball. I know for a fact there are some damn good hiiters cut, because they couldn't pitch at all. From what I see, pitching is at a bigger premium with these coaches than hitting. Especially the kids that can play the field, hit some, and pitch. Seems to me it's Holbrook's strategy. I dunno. I dont get that....Give me O any day.....with good pitching.

Originally posted by gamecock_07:
combined record of those teams, 14-31. we should be obliterating these guys, at least every other game but our hitting is pathetic.

would you pumpers be happy with a 7-0 shutout of furman in football, cause thats basically the equivalent of what were doing in baseball right now.
Yeah, okay. Those teams aren't that good, but that is called "taking care of business." At least it used to be.

we'll be fine. pitching and defense will get to another regional like last year. holbrook keeps his job. all is well.

I HOPE we'll be "fine", but unless we start hitting better (I, too, think we need a coach specifically for hitting) our championship days are in the past. Sad to say but I believe to be true. We HAVE to hit better against better teams. Maybe our hitting will come around and, hopefully, it will, but I don't think we can depend on pitching & defense to carry us IF that's the plan! JMHO!!

scifi, carolina doesnt settle for just getting to a regional. a super regional is acceptable.with the cws as an added bonus, but only making a regional is a disappointment.

rooster, 'getting it done' would mean not having to eek out games against what should be an undermanned team because we cant scratch across a few more runs. if we were playing top notch teams and only winning by a run or two I'd be a lot less critical, but we're not, and we're.struggling in a bad way.

go read almost any article that Holbrook provides a quote in, he mentions his own disappointment in hitting multiple times. Its not us overreacting here.

During our NC seasons, wasn't our motto "win anyway"? We are currently 13-3. While we definitely need to start hitting a lot better, the bottom line is, we are winning. That is all that matters. We don't receive style points for having a higher batting average.

The offense is putting too much pressure on the defense and pitching to be PERFECT.

Our approach at the plate sucks along with hitting skills.

Best hitting coach in the country is teaching kids in the upstate everyday!!!! He's just a phone call away but our "College" coaches think they know it all and wouldn't dare stoop so low to reach out for help! One phone call and 4 or 5 sessions with the right coach could fix a lot of the problems we have at the plate.

The phone call will NEVER be made, but it's that's all it would take.

We haven't hit well at all for the last 5yrs. In 2010 and 2011 INCREDIBLE pitching and defense carried us to two championships, and in 2012, they got us dang close. The last two years, pitching and defense has fallen off a little and that same lackluster plate-performance began costing dearly. If things don't change, 2015 will be more of '13 and '14 - falling short and rumblings of 'what could have been'.

Who was it that beat us out in 2013? ASU? Those guys could HIT! Go get their hitting coach and pay the man!!

rooster, 'getting it done' would mean not having to eek out games against what should be an undermanned team because we cant scratch across a few more runs. if we were playing top notch teams and only winning by a run or two I'd be a lot less critical, but we're not, and we're.struggling in a bad way.

go read almost any article that Holbrook provides a quote in, he mentions his own disappointment in hitting multiple times. Its not us overreacting here.
It's not eeking out. It's shutting out. When you build a team like this you plan to to win a lot of 3-0, 4-1, 3-2 games no matter who you play. Sorry if that bothers you.

Originally posted by 92Pony:
We haven't hit well at all for the last 5yrs. In 2010 and 2011 INCREDIBLE pitching and defense carried us to two championships, and in 2012, they got us dang close. The last two years, pitching and defense has fallen off a little and that same lackluster plate-performance began costing dearly. If things don't change, 2015 will be more of '13 and '14 - falling short and rumblings of 'what could have been'.

Who was it that beat us out in 2013? ASU? Those guys could HIT! Go get their hitting coach and pay the man!!
We lost to Arizona, not Az State.

Holbrook and his "hitting" coaches are too arrogant to seek help. Hitting is as much mental as it is physical.

Originally posted by umdterpcock:

Holbrook and his "hitting" coaches are too arrogant to seek help. Hitting is as much mental as it is physical.
I knew it was one or the other. My memory is worse than our bats.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by 92Pony:

Originally posted by umdterpcock:

I knew it was one or the other. My memory is worse than our bats.
wink.r191677.gif
My memory is bad too! Too many beers ago it was better. But I do know hitting enough to know our bats don't scar many teams.

Originally posted by ReadR00ster:

It's not eeking out. It's shutting out. When you build a team like this you plan to to win a lot of 3-0, 4-1, 3-2 games no matter who you play. Sorry if that bothers you.
dude, it most definitely is eeking it out when the teams that we're doing it against have a 1-9 or 2-8 record and it's their bullpen/4th/5th guy in the rotation on the mound.

when we play a 2nd rate team from a 2nd rate conference, 9 times out of 10 we shouldnt have to worry about squandering a late lead and getting into all these save situations. those are normal and legitimate expectations for national championship caliber program.

hats off to our pitchers, they are doing a great job, but our hitters aren't even close to pulling their weight even against the softer portion of our schedule.

This post was edited on 3/11 2:19 PM by gamecock_07

While you're at it.... how about a 3rd base coach. We need to hire coaches based on coaching credentials and not who they know (or who their daddy knows)

Originally posted by pdt3001985:

Every team we play during the week starts their best. Our players will be fine.
is that why penn state started a guy who hadn't pitched yet this season on tuesday and then tossed in a guy who'd only thrown one inning to keep them in the game?

what about tonight, donmoyer hadnt pitched yet this year either, fortunately we roughed him up.

its cocky to think all teams save their aces for us these days, because we're so focused on defense and pitching apparently everyone has a punchers chance of knocking us off with a lucky two run homer.

*definitely please with the output tonight, this should be a more common result than the normal 4-2 games we see vs lesser teams.*

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT