ADVERTISEMENT

This was Missouri for God's sake

rockingamecock

Aug 28, 2001
Soda City
Missouri . . . and they made us look like a damn high school team. A total embarrassment. Home for the holidays . . . yet again.

We had one job to do: run the ball against the next to last run defense in the entire nation.
Except I think they figured some things out since the DL coach was fired and replaced. A week ago they held UGA to 67 yards rushing in the first half. The reason our numbers were so bad is that multiple times a game we would have nobody playing a gap and someone would run for 70 yards. Hell, it even happened against SE Missouri State (they scored 28 points on us despite having not scored a TD against us in the history of the series - 4 prior meetings)

It was the kind of thing that should have been easier to fix, but it appears they finally got it done.

Reactions: vacock#
Except I think they figured some things out since the DL coach was fired and replaced. A week ago they held UGA to 67 yards rushing in the first half. The reason our numbers were so bad is that multiple times a game we would have nobody playing a gap and someone would run for 70 yards. Hell, it even happened against SE Missouri State (they scored 28 points on us despite having not scored a TD against us in the history of the series - 4 prior meetings)

It was the kind of thing that should have been easier to fix, but it appears they finally got it done.
Not playing a gap is nothing but not thinking. It doesn’t take strength or quickness but a working brain.

Whether people want to admit it or not this is a total rebuild.

There are changes on the offensive side of the ball that must be made this off season.

I’m actually encouraged by the fact that we have won 5 games and had 2 more (Missouri and Kentucky) that were one possession games. If we get competence on the offensive side of the ball, we have a chance to push for 8 wins next season. Seriously.

• Haha
Reactions: alaskagamecock
Sucks to admit it I know, but your thread title is exactly what Florida fans were saying last Sunday morning. 2010-13 is long past now. Nobody sees Carolina as a contender or even a threat anymore.

Sucks to admit it I know, but your thread title is exactly what Florida fans were saying last Sunday morning. 2010-13 is long past now. Nobody sees Carolina as a contender or even a threat anymore.
I'm sure Missouri viewed this game as winnable for them. I'll go further, not only winnable, but they probably expected to win. They probably view their program as superior to ours on an annual basis.

There are changes on the offensive side of the ball that must be made this off season.

I’m actually encouraged by the fact that we have won 5 games and had 2 more (Missouri and Kentucky) that were one possession games. If we get competence on the offensive side of the ball, we have a chance to push for 8 wins next season. Seriously.
If you want to look at it like that …ECU and Vandy were one possession games we could have lost

Reactions: Pauliecock

Sadly though, we lose a fair amount on defense after this year.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I'm sure Missouri viewed this game as winnable for them. I'll go further, not only winnable, but they probably expected to win. They probably view their program as superior to ours on an annual basis.
Of course they expected to win and I guarantee you they view their program as superior to ours. Hell, when is the last time we beat them and had the Mayor’s Cup in our possession?

There MUST be changes in the coaching staff after the season. And I don't mean rearranging the chairs. If we lose the next 2, Beamer must take his time, after the Clemson game, to bring in competent coaches who know what they are doing. Bring in coaches who have produced. We are badly in need of new blood on the coaching staff.

If you want to look at it like that …ECU and Vandy were one possession games we could have lost
Well that’s true but you are what you are. We are a couple of possessions away from bottoming out and having 3 wins.

However you have to give credit to the staff for finding a way to win those games….especially if you want to lay blame when they lose those games.

There MUST be changes in the coaching staff after the season. And I don't mean rearranging the chairs. If we lose the next 2, Beamer must take his time, after the Clemson game, to bring in competent coaches who know what they are doing. Bring in coaches who have produced. We are badly in need of new blood on the coaching staff.

Beamer is a coach in training. There aren't many establised coordinators who want to work for someone like that. So he has to take risks with "up and comers".

We had one job to do: run the ball against the next to last run defense in the entire nation.
WRONG! I laughed at the posters earlier in the week who thought the same thing. They all thought based upon the run game they saw vs UF, with 2 RB's rushing for over 100 yards each, and the much improved OL play, that we would simply line up and impose our will on Missouri's lowly ranked defense.

I wondered if any of them bothered to do any research prior to making such asinine predictions. IF they had, they would have known that the Missouri coaching staff had made several changes to their defense prior to the UGa - changes designed to stop the running game. That was priority #1 for them. And, they did just that, at least for the first half vs UGa.

Of course even worse than what our fans were predicting, was the fact that our OC was an obliviot who also failed to do any research and devised game plan that was eerily similar to the ones in our first 8 games of the season - not the one vs UF.

He played right into Missouri's hands. They had ZERO problem stopping our run game. There was absolutely no way Missouri was going to let us beat them running the ball.

I honestly didn't know what to think. Based on USC destroying Florida and Mizzou's terrible run D for most of the year, I expected to lose. I'm sure Gamecock fans are familiar with the feeling of waiting for the next kick in the nuts. Sure we had good run D against UGA, but they threw at will, so maybe they just took what was there. I didn't know Florida started to mail it in.

I think the program we brought into the SEC was a very good one. The protests in 2015 killed our recruiting and cost us a good coach. Barry Odom followed Pinkel and found Tyler Badie, but you aren't going to build a winning team on all hidden talent that other teams don't see. I'm not sure we are in a hugely different situation. I do see a significant uptick in our recruiting that I hope shows on the field.

I actually see Carolina as probably the team most like us in the SEC. You have a location advantage in recruiting, but we have the only P5 team in our state, so I think that evens out. Both of us have shown flashes, but also gone through extended down periods. I think we both should have some concerns about impact of NIL on future recruiting compared to other SEC teams, but we definitely benefit from the SEC brand even if we are still thought of as outsiders.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT