ADVERTISEMENT

This would never happen at Clemson. Ever.

I read about it a while back. I thought it got shot down. Not sure why they would want it to be there?

I want to take some ashes out of my charcoal grill, name it Clem Clemson, and bury it there.

My uncle was a very wealthy cardiologist who died about a year ago. We knew his family would create a spectacle for his funeral and they did. At graveside was this huge red heart located at the head of the casket. When the service was over, doors to the big red heart opened and the casket was pushed inside. The doors were then closed, sealing the doctor in the beautiful heart forever. All the doctors seated in a special area near me were in awe. One of them began to smile. I turned and asked what was funny. He replied that he was just thinking about his own funeral. “What do you do?” I asked. He smiled again and said,“I’m a gynecologist “.

When I first read this headline I thought it was an attempt by USC to copy clemson's "graveyard" of teams they had beaten in big games (which they copied from FSU). That's the only way I think this could be a stupider idea.

Cemetery Hill (where actual dead people are buried, not the road victories vs ranked teams one) is located right behind the home (South) stands of Death Valley in Clemson. Fans park and tailgate all around it. The last time I was there in 2012, people walked right through it and had set beer cans, cups, etc on the gravestones. I found it creepy and disrespectful myself.

I agree with an earlier post, the developer is trying to extort cash from USC. He and his partners are probably not even fans of USC.

My question is how did they buy such an odd lot piece of property, and how did USC let this tiny piece go unpurchased?

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
This guy is a fraud. He's been asking the University to buy him out for 10x want the land is worth and the University said hell no. That's a fact. Don't let this clown fool you. He's not in it for the "experience" ... he thought he could get a big money grab, and now he's stuck with it.

My uncle was a very wealthy cardiologist who died about a year ago. We knew his family would create a spectacle for his funeral and they did. At graveside was this huge red heart located at the head of the casket. When the service was over, doors to the big red heart opened and the casket was pushed inside. The doors were then closed, sealing the doctor in the beautiful heart forever. All the doctors seated in a special area near me were in awe. One of them began to smile. I turned and asked what was funny. He replied that he was just thinking about his own funeral. “What do you do?” I asked. He smiled again and said,“I’m a gynecologist “.
Best story I've read in awhile.

So now he's going to invest more capital into a piece of property he does not want and increase the value of it for a product his potential customers will resent?

I ran into an engineer from Georgia Tech a year ago that worked for a company that built Gamecock Park and renovated the fair grounds. He said there was a single parcel of land large enough to park an RV that they had to curve the fencing around since the land owner would not sell it. The only request the owner had was they provide a water and electricity hook up to that site and they did. Wonder if this is the same guy?

It clearly an extortion attempt, buy the property or we put a cemetery by your stadium
Exactly, the guy was like "what could I threaten to build that will FORCE USC to buy me out at three times what I paid for it"

I don't see the problem? Certainly not the weirdest thing I've heard of in regards to being an SEC level football fan

I wonder if he's approached IPTAY and let us make an offer...?

Now that's funny. If he did, my guess is that iptay wouldnt pay much - the return in terms of CU success would be negligible - but it might get someone at SC off dead center. I dont know much about that little plot, or what he paid for it, but it seems to me that if he put a nice tricked out RV tailgater on it he would have buyers lined up.

Or maybe he legitimately thinks he can get $1500 a pop for internment boxes and make a killing. My guess is not. The idea sounds great - heck, people retire back to their college towns (which to me is just silly) - but when it comes to death people shy away from things that look even a tiny bit icky. The idea is to be a part of something, not separate, and if this becomes worse than separate, no market. If I was in USC admin i would squash him with negative pub.

Well we do have a cemetary on the hill behind the South stands. However you can only get planted there now if you teach at the school for more than 20 years I think.

Frank Howard and his wife are buried there. He bought plots in that cemetery back in the 50's and often commented on how he would always be able to hear fans cheer on his Tigers. The area is very wooded now, but you can easily see that it's definitely a place 'occupied' by the dearly departed.

I checked out google maps and there are LOTS of colleges and universities near campuses and/or football stadiums, however most were already there when stadiums were built nearby or the colleges expanded. For example, one of the largest cemeteries in Oregon is right next to the campus - it appears to be as large as the 'O' campus!

Frank Howard and his wife are buried there. He bought plots in that cemetery back in the 50's and often commented on how he would always be able to hear fans cheer on his Tigers. The area is very wooded now, but you can easily see that it's definitely a place 'occupied' by the dearly departed.

I checked out google maps and there are LOTS of colleges and universities near campuses and/or football stadiums, however most were already there when stadiums were built nearby or the colleges expanded. For example, one of the largest cemeteries in Oregon is right next to the campus - it appears to be as large as the 'O' campus!
Setzler Stadium at Newberry College sits rights beside a huge cemetery. One end zone backs up to Cemetery Road.

Whit grew up in Forest Acres, went to school in Columbia all of his life, including Carolina. He is both a long time Member and Sponsor of this website in fact. The owner of that parcel never came to an agreement with the University. Whit put a deal together. The market will decide if his idea is a wise one, not a bunch of loudmouthed conspiracy theorists.

Whit grew up in Forest Acres, went to school in Columbia all of his life, including Carolina. He is both a long time Member and Sponsor of this website in fact. The owner of that parcel never came to an agreement with the University. Whit put a deal together. The market will decide if his idea is a wise one, not a bunch of loudmouthed conspiracy theorists.

Some more info: per Richland County's Tax Appraisal website. The 'land', 4/100's of an acre, was last purchased on 2/15/2017 for $820,000 with an appraised value of $2,500 per tax records.The owner is shown as Gamecock Vista. LLC, of Fripp Island, SC.

Imo. the real issue is WHERE will the alternate site be located? With only .004 acres and, considering parking restrictions and setback requirements, there's not much (if any) room for putting ANYTHING on the piece of property at issue. IF the alternate location is on National Guard Road, okay, I guess, but WHERE?

Btw, the plan drawings on the P&C website are not bad at all - I just don't want the thing to appear too obtrusive.

Last edited:
Some more info: per Richland County's Tax Appraisal website the 'land', 4/100's of an acre, was last purchased on 2/15/2017 for $820,000 with an appraised value of $2,500 per tax records.The owner is shown as Gamecock Vista. LLC, of Fripp Island, SC.

Imo. the real issue is WHERE will the alternate site be located? With only .004 acres and, considering parking restrictions and setback requirements, there's not much (if any) room for putting ANYTHING on the piece of property at issue. IF the alternate location is on National Guard Road, okay, I guess, but WHERE?

Btw, the plan drawings on the P&C website are not bad at all - I just don't want the thing to appear too obtrusive.
A parcel that small almost seems like a surveying error or a land description error on a prior deed. No way that a parcel that small could have intentionally been cut out. Have people been paying taxes on a parcel that small throughout the years?

For all the close by tailgaters, at least if you get really loud and obnoxious, you won't have to worry about the neighbors complaining. :)

Reactions: rogue cock
Google earth shows even mighty Alabama has a cemetery next door.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT