ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Brando reporting ND to join ACC

if you look at a map both college station, TX and Columbia, MO both fall into the South Eastern portion of the US when you look at the Geographic center of the Lower 48......
ef the acc and nd

Reactions: fightingcock103
IF ND does join the ACC for football, will the ACC try to bring in another team to round them out at 16 teams? I know UCONN was the subject of the article. But I wouldn't overlook Penn State. It would be absolutely unreal if the ACC could pull that off.

I just cant see Penn St leaving the BIG. Just way to much money, although they could essentially play several teams in the NE from their independent days, I doubt that would be enough reason to leave. Also, there may be a exit penalty from leaving the conference.
I can see how the ACC if this rumor is indeed true trying to expand to 16. Then at that point is where dominoes would probably start to fall.

Reactions: rogue cock
Well now. Apparently Mr. Brando is totally off base, or the AD from ND is playing the denial card, while back door negotiations take place.
I'm thinking TB was totally off on this one. So much for his credibility

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/5/16/15648086/notre-dame-join-acc-football
Beat me to it. According to ND's AD, this entire report and speculation was fake news.

By the way, any assumption that adding Notre Dame would open the door for UConn or some other team to become the 16th member are likely false. ND is already a full member of the ACC for all other sports and division alignment and scheduling are not an issue. In fact, baseball is the ONLY sport besides football that even uses divisions and, since Syracuse doesn't field a baseball team, they are actually already balanced and wouldn't want another team. Plus, the ACC wants to eliminate divisions and just play 1 vs. 2 in their championship game anyway. So, there's a very strong possibility that if they ever did manage to land ND for football, they could stop right there and not go to 16.

Beat me to it. According to ND's AD, this entire report and speculation was fake news.

By the way, any assumption that adding Notre Dame would open the door for UConn or some other team to become the 16th member are likely false. ND is already a full member of the ACC for all other sports and division alignment and scheduling are not an issue. In fact, baseball is the ONLY sport besides football that even uses divisions and, since Syracuse doesn't field a baseball team, they are actually already balanced and wouldn't want another team. Plus, the ACC wants to eliminate divisions and just play 1 vs. 2 in their championship game anyway. So, there's a very strong possibility that if they ever did manage to land ND for football, they could stop right there and not go to 16.

The alignment issue isn't that simple. NCAA rules require that a conference playing a CCG split into 2 divisions, and play a round robin. Having unbalanced divisions causes a lot of scheduling problems. To solve the problem, you either have to get a waiver from the NCAA to drop the round robin, or have an unbalanced schedule for half the conference.

The conference also doesn't want to drop the divisions and just play 1 vs 2. That's just something fans started saying. Plus, they would have to clear that with ESPN, which prefers divisional alignments.

In other words, it wouldn't be practical to expand to just 15. You need 16.

The alignment issue isn't that simple. NCAA rules require that a conference playing a CCG split into 2 divisions, and play a round robin. Having unbalanced divisions causes a lot of scheduling problems. To solve the problem, you either have to get a waiver from the NCAA to drop the round robin, or have an unbalanced schedule for half the conference.

The conference also doesn't want to drop the divisions and just play 1 vs 2. That's just something fans started saying. Plus, they would have to clear that with ESPN, which prefers divisional alignments.

In other words, it wouldn't be practical to expand to just 15. You need 16.

This is yet another reason why the ND deal is so stupid for the ACC unless there is some unknown agreement for future football inclusion. If the conference wanted to expand to 16 teams, and ND doesn't join in football, all the other sports will have to go to 17 team.

This is yet another reason why the ND deal is so stupid for the ACC unless there is some unknown agreement for future football inclusion. If the conference wanted to expand to 16 teams, and ND doesn't join in football, all the other sports will have to go to 17 team.

But that's the thing. There isn't any reason for the conference to expand to 16 if Notre Dame isn't joining. There are only two reasons for the ACC to expand to 16: 1) Bring in Notre Dame for monetary gain, 2) The rest of the conferences are expanding to 16. In the case of #2, Notre Dame would pretty much have to find a home at that point anyway.

Aside from that, the scheduling problems I mentioned exist regardless of Notre Dame joining. They exist for anyone.

Last edited:
I just cant see Penn St leaving the BIG. Just way to much money, although they could essentially play several teams in the NE from their independent days, I doubt that would be enough reason to leave. Also, there may be a exit penalty from leaving the conference.
I can see how the ACC if this rumor is indeed true trying to expand to 16. Then at that point is where dominoes would probably start to fall.
Penn State ain't leaving the B1G - forever.

A sign that the TV money bubble is bursting. NBC must not be re-upping their offer for Notre Dame football. There is no other reason for Notre Dame to want to join a conference in football other than being able to make more money that way.
BINGO!! We have a winner.

If ND joins, the Acc will go to 16 because ND will likely get a huge say in the 16th member. That would likely be Navy. I doubt they join but they must join the ACC if they join a conference between now and 2037.

Penn State ain't leaving the B1G - forever.
Why would Penn state join a conference that Maryland left over $$$?

I think poorly of the ACC for working that deal to allow ND to join and retain football independence. ND should have joined the "new" Big East (not the AAC), since the new BE does not sponsor DI FB.

^ Except the acc affords ND to compete in basketball (one of the best conferences), and their Olympic Sports programs - women's basketball, baseball, w/m soccer, lacrosse, field hockey - sports that no other conference aligns more with the sports they emphasize/thrive in. Only hockey isn't acc sanctioned and they have BC as a natural rival in that sport.

IF ND does join the ACC for football, will the ACC try to bring in another team to round them out at 16 teams? I know UCONN was the subject of the article. But I wouldn't overlook Penn State. It would be absolutely unreal if the ACC could pull that off.
Yeah, that would be awesome and Penn State always kinda has seemed like a weird fit in the B1G. I guess now they're settling in but they were always kinda more of an 'eastern' school than midwest. Once upon a time perhaps, but I think that ship has sailed.

The Big XII falling apart seems to be inevitable and that's where I think #16 would come from. I'd personally prefer WVU. Some people this Texas is a possibility, but I'd think they'd go out west before coming east. WVU is in the footprint. Has a strong athletic profile and tradition. Good fan base. History, culture and/or proximity with most of the preeminent schools in conference (Miami, FSU, Pitt, Va Tech, UVA, Louisville, Clemson).

I have seen people float Navy or UConn too. UConn maybe. Hell, even Navy, maybe, if it got ND in full time but that'd just kinda seem almost counter productive.

^ Except the acc affords ND to compete in basketball (one of the best conferences), and their Olympic Sports programs - women's basketball, baseball, w/m soccer, lacrosse, field hockey - sports that no other conference aligns more with the sports they emphasize/thrive in. Only hockey isn't acc sanctioned and they have BC as a natural rival in that sport.
The "old" Big East sponsored baseball, yet Miami competed as an independent. Could you imagine a dozen years ago Miami telling the ACC that they'll join but wanted to retain their baseball independence (not that they would have, but it's the principle of the situation)?

ACC should have held firm. If a member school sponsors a sport at the D1 level and the league sponsors that same sport at the D1 level, It's a requirement for the school for it's team to compete for the championship. That's a major reason why Tulane left the SEC - they were getting beat up badly on the gridiron. They asked the SEC for "relief," but none was given. Their final SEC football game was a 62-0 blowout at the hands of LSU in the fall of 1965.

If the SEC sponsored men's soccer, we'd be competing in the SEC. With only two members sponsoring the sport (us and UK), we and the Wildcats compete in CUSA soccer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT