ADVERTISEMENT

Two South Carolina womens teams playing for SEC titles today.......

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
......and baseball loses another SEC series. Ray Tanner has allowed us to become the university of womens sports.

GO COCKS!!!

Ray's response: have you seen the new football facility? Even has a barbershop.

......and baseball loses another SEC series. Ray Tanner has allowed us to become the university of womens sports.

GO COCKS!!!

Don't you ever get tired of complaining about how successful our women's teams are? I get that you don't like Tanner and that you think our football, baseball and MBB teams suck, but why does that regularly have to be paired with backhanded jabs at our women's programs?

Don't you ever get tired of complaining about how successful our women's teams are? I get that you don't like Tanner and that you think our football, baseball and MBB teams suck, but why does that regularly have to be paired with backhanded jabs at our women's programs?

I don't 'jab' at the women's programs. Imo they serve a very important role in the university's efforts to put our name and missions forward to the general public, thus enhancing USC's state, regional and national reputation. However, the men's top programs are the programs that bring in the money and the greater media attention. Our AD needs to work on this area.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
I don't 'jab' at the women's programs. Imo they serve a very important role in the university's efforts to put our name and missions forward to the general public, thus enhancing USC's state, regional and national reputation. However, the men's top programs are the programs that bring in the money and the greater media attention. Our AD needs to work on this area.

If you really don't think that the comment "Ray Tanner has allowed us to become the university of womens sports" is a backhanded jab at our women's teams, then there's not much else I can say. Again, complain about Ray / Will / Frank / Mark / etc. all you want - I get it. But I don't understand why that dissatisfaction needs to be linked in any way to the success of our women's teams. I've only been on this forum for 2 months and am dumbfounded that this has come up in multiple threads....

If you really don't think that the comment "Ray Tanner has allowed us to become the university of womens sports" is a backhanded jab at our women's teams, then there's not much else I can say. Again, complain about Ray / Will / Frank / Mark / etc. all you want - I get it. But I don't understand why that dissatisfaction needs to be linked in any way to the success of our women's teams. I've only been on this forum for 2 months and am dumbfounded that this has come up in multiple threads....

Look dont put words in my mouth. I LOVE our ladies teams and am thrilled at how successful they are and think they are hugely important to our overall athletic program. So lets leave that there.

What i DO have a problem with is our current AD overseeing a time when South Carolina has become largely irrelevant in mens sports. I expect excellence across the board. Our football team had 3 consecutive 11 win seasons then bust. Our baseball program was the elite program in the entire nation and we are currently at the bottom of our league. Your deflecting from Tanner will not change that.

I point to our womens success to also point to how lame our mens programs are. Its not ok and Ray Tanner is at the top. And as an alum, University and athletic donor and fan I get to have those opinions.

Look dont put words in my mouth. I LOVE our ladies teams and am thrilled at how successful they are and think they are hugely important to our overall athletic program. So lets leave that there.

What i DO have a problem with is our current AD overseeing a time when South Carolina has become largely irrelevant in mens sports. I expect excellence across the board. Our football team had 3 consecutive 11 win seasons then bust. Our baseball program was the elite program in the entire nation and we are currently at the bottom of our league. Your deflecting from Tanner will not change that.

I point to our womens success to also point to how lame our mens programs are. Its not ok and Ray Tanner is at the top. And as an alum, University and athletic donor and fan I get to have those opinions.

1. I didn't put words in your mouth; I actually quoted you word for word.
2. I didn't deflect from Ray Tanner; you literally said that he has allowed us to "become the university of womens sports." I then responded by saying that you can complain about him (or others) all you want and I get it. Do you even know what deflecting means?
3. Of course you get an opinion - did I say that you don't? (hint: no). BTW, you get that opinion whether you're an alum, donor and fan, or not. As I said, I get your frustration with the state of most men's sports here, but why do you even need to bring women's sports into it? The answer is: you don't. The men's teams are "lame" in your opinion irrespective of what the women are doing. You can write about it all you want in about a dozen other threads right now, so why start a new one dragging the women's golf and tennis teams into it. I (and others) are simply tired of thinly (or not so thinly) veiled insults aimed at our women's sports programs, which are doing very well right now. As a Gamecock fan, I can actually like and support all of our sports while recognizing the overarching economic impact of building and maintaining a successful football team.

Two South Carolina womens teams playing for SEC titles today.......
Well, we blew it in one of our opportunities, so there's that for the detractors of women's athletics. I myself thought it was tragic. I myself was p!$$ed off about it.

Tell this ^^^^ to someone who pissed in your Cheerios - it wasn't me. I support women's athletica, but success in that area (women's sports) does NOT pay the light bill. Ray or his successor has got to get the show on the road. We have been slapped silly by our rivals up the road for the past 5 years - worse case of 'Big 3 sports' losses in my memory, and I've followed this program (USC) since the mid-50's.

Reactions: king ward

Tell this ^^^^ to someone who pissed in your Cheerios - it wasn't me. I support women's athletica, but success in that area (women's sports) does NOT pay the light bill. Ray or his successor has got to get the show on the road. We have been slapped silly by our rivals up the road for the past 5 years - worse case of 'Big 3 sports' losses in my memory, and I've followed this program (USC) since the mid-50's.

Why so angry? Since you've called my previous post "^^^^", I'm trying to figure out exactly what part of it you actually disagree with. My comments to both you and USC2 have supported your prerogative to have issues with Ray and the state of the men's programs. In my last post, I also acknowledged the greater economic importance of football; as a former D1 athlete in a non-revenue sport, I'm very familiar with and respectful of that significance. Throughout my comments, I've only maintained that people's dissatisfaction with our men's programs can be made without having to start threads that bring in our women's programs in a way that many people on this forum view as being derogatory. No one pissed in my Cheerios; I simply thought people could have civil discussions on FGF.

Well, we blew it in one of our opportunities, so there's that for the detractors of women's athletics. I myself thought it was tragic. I myself was p!$$ed off about it.
Speaks volumes about you that you choose to lament in that loss rather than post in this thread about how great it is that they were in that spot to begin with or about the team that won.

Speaks volumes about you that you choose to lament in that loss rather than post in this thread about how great it is that they were in that spot to begin with or about the team that won.
Lots of people get in that spot. Winning makes all the difference. "Many are called but few are chosen."

Lots of people get in that spot. Winning makes all the difference. "Many are called but few are chosen."
Lol lots get in that spot...just as many win. For every second place finish, there's a first place finish. Another of South Carolina's teams won the same day, yet this is the one you choose to post about in this thread. Again, it speaks volumes. Enjoy your misery.

Why so angry? Since you've called my previous post "^^^^", I'm trying to figure out exactly what part of it you actually disagree with. My comments to both you and USC2 have supported your prerogative to have issues with Ray and the state of the men's programs. In my last post, I also acknowledged the greater economic importance of football; as a former D1 athlete in a non-revenue sport, I'm very familiar with and respectful of that significance. Throughout my comments, I've only maintained that people's dissatisfaction with our men's programs can be made without having to start threads that bring in our women's programs in a way that many people on this forum view as being derogatory. No one pissed in my Cheerios; I simply thought people could have civil discussions on FGF.

Again, I take issue with your categorizing me as someone who doesn't support our womens programs. You can take issue with my opinions but don't question that. Nothing could be further from the truth. I am holding up the womens sucess as an example that it can be done at USC and should be the expectation on the mens side. The mens teams are underachieving and that has mostly been a hallmark of the Ray Tanner era as AD. Again Tanner has been at the helm as our football team went from 3 straight 11 win seasons to a team probably no one in the SEC fears playing as well as the transition of our baseball team from the elite program in the country to one of the worst in our league. Instead of wordsmithing my opions, deal with those facts.

GO COCKS!!! men and women!

Lol lots get in that spot...just as many win. For every second place finish, there's a first place finish. Another of South Carolina's teams won the same day, yet this is the one you choose to post about in this thread. Again, it speaks volumes. Enjoy your misery.
Only half of those that get in position to win actually do it. I've had a bracing day - positively bracing!

be prepared....we have some really whiny fans here that dont like ray, dont like champ and dont like frank and nothing will change that

be prepared....we have some really whiny fans here that dont like ray, dont like champ and dont like frank and nothing will change that

Loved Ray as a baseball coach.

As an AD, the men's teams, save the FF run, have dropped off the face of the earth.

I like FM, hope he gets things going.

Muschamp, we'll see. Getting curb stomped by Virginia with Deebo standing on the sidelines was not good. Not good at all.

Loved Ray as a baseball coach.

As an AD, the men's teams, save the FF run, have dropped off the face of the earth.

I like FM, hope he gets things going.

Muschamp, we'll see. Getting curb stomped by Virginia with Deebo standing on the sidelines was not good. Not good at all.
Wonderful synopsis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT