ADVERTISEMENT

UGA Commit bought Ford Raptor today.

GamecockJL

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2015
I’m sure his family is very well off and can afford a graduation gift of 60-70k.

I'm sure his family fortunes have nothing to do with him signing with Jawja. His parents bought him that Raptor for Christmas!

Reactions: ansoncock
Maybe the family does have $$$. Hilinski's parents bought a house near Columbia. I doubt he'll drive a 10 year old Accord.

The NCAA does not police like they did years ago. Too much money to be made now by all concerned with college football. The only major football program that was recently under investigation is Baylor, rape scandal. There are about 130 FBS schools and only one is in trouble with the NCAA.

Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil.

modern-description-of-hear-no-evil-see-no-evil-speak-no-evil0.jpg

Dude they can borrow on the equity of their California home and buy a nice spread here. Why do you think so many folks from the Northeast and West Coast buy retirement homes in South Carolina. Prime real estate is a steal in South Carolina when compared to other areas of our nation.
Then I guess a family could possibly afford a truck. That was my point. The truck is not exactly a recruiting violation smoking gun.

"Standard tuition for one year of boarding at IMG Academy is $68,500 plus a team sport competition and training gear fee that ranges from $3,750-$4,250 depending on the sport. A single semester costs$39,400."

If they can afford for him to go to IMG I think they can afford a Ford Raptor for their son's graduation present.

"Standard tuition for one year of boarding at IMG Academy is $68,500 plus a team sport competition and training gear fee that ranges from $3,750-$4,250 depending on the sport. A single semester costs$39,400."

If they can afford for him to go to IMG I think they can afford a Ford Raptor for their son's graduation present.
They get full ride scholarships at IMG.

Reactions: daytonabeach4usc
I’m sure his family is very well off and can afford a graduation gift of 60-70k.
I have no first-hand knowledge of this particular situation, and therefore can't say if there's anything shady going on. However, fans get carried away with this stuff and don't realize several basic realities:
  1. It's not that hard for a recruit's family to make a new car payment when they won't have to spend a dime on the kid's college education, especially if they'll be saving money on food, clothes, and even spending money (via a stipend), the moment he goes off to school. In fact, check the parking lot outside just about ANY college athletic dorm and this is the kind of thing you'll find, including USC.
  2. If it's a lease, the monthly payments could be as low as $400.
  3. 70% of the kids on most college campuses have cars, including those who also have to pay for tuition, room, and board.
  4. It's not at all uncommon for families to reward their child athletes with lavish gifts, especially when they suspect the same or a lot more may be coming their way when the kid eventually goes pro.
  5. If a booster bought a recruit a luxury item like a car, that would be one of the easiest things to prove, because all you have to do is follow the payment trail. Therefore, it's not smart and is generally not the way programs tend to offer illegal inducements these days.
So, maybe there's something shady with this particular situation, but new cars for college kids that will have no expenses and could even eventually land a pro contract is not uncommon or implausible at all.

I have no first-hand knowledge of this particular situation, and therefore can't say if there's anything shady going on. However, fans get carried away with this stuff and don't realize several basic realities:
  1. It's not that hard for a recruit's family to make a new car payment when they won't have to spend a dime on the kid's college education, especially if they'll be saving money on food, clothes, and even spending money (via a stipend), the moment he goes off to school. In fact, check the parking lot outside just about ANY college athletic dorm and this is the kind of thing you'll find, including USC.
  3. 70% of the kids on most college campuses have cars, including those who also have to pay for tuition, room, and board.
  4. It's not at all uncommon for families to reward their child athletes with lavish gifts, especially when they suspect the same or a lot more may be coming their way when the kid eventually goes pro.
  5. If a booster bought a recruit a luxury item like a car, that would be one of the easiest things to prove, because all you have to do is follow the payment trail. Therefore, it's not smart and is generally not the way programs tend to offer illegal inducements these days.
So, maybe there's something shady with this particular situation, but new cars for college kids that will have no expenses and could even eventually land a pro contract is not uncommon or implausible at all.

Not to mention a lot of dealerships will be very “Accommodating” with their financing options when they have a kid who will be a millionaire in 3 years standing in the show room . Happens all the time . Ching Ching

Reactions: DawgDaddy
The same usual suspects here pecking away 24/7 defending everyone not named Carolina would be the FIRST ones raising total hell bitching to the end of the earth if that was Zacch Pickens.

If you think we aren’t or any major university isn’t then I got some water front property in the Sahara desert to sell ya’ . Some just do it better than others .
Clemson was giving new cars in the 70’s. Dayum how long will it take us

On your 1st point, I disagree.

Most families dont have a year of tuition saved in the bank for their child to use. Most families are using partial scholarships in combination with loans for a child to go to college.

So the idea that getting a scholarship means they can now use the $45,000 they had saved for tuition on a vehicle is pretty ridiculous.

As a dad of a current high school senior who has attended numerous “how to pay for college” sessions in the last 2 months at our local high school and even one at USC, I have yet to meet any family with tens of thousands sitting there waiting to be used for tuition or anything else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT