ADVERTISEMENT

USC Radio

ClemDent

Nov 27, 2017
Lowcountry
So while I’ve watched many USC games on TV, yesterday was the first time I’ve listened on the radio for a while (driving to Conway). My question is how do you guys listen to Ellis? I appreciate his enthusiasm but he makes any play over 5 yds sound like your about to score a TD. It’s exhausting. You can never get a feel for the rhythm of the game. Ours isn’t much better, his voice strains at anything more than a whisper. Lastly, good win yesterday. Please stick with Bentley.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaimcock
We don't listen to him. Well, unless we absolutely have to. You taters had a good radio announcer until you let your AD fire him. Everyone knows AD's at Clemson don't have any power, I never understood why the powers that be let that stand. Really pissed off your fans. He wasn't Jim Phillips but he was close.

Reactions: ClemDent
We don't listen to him. Well, unless we absolutely have to. You taters had a good radio announcer until you let your AD fire him. Everyone knows AD's at Clemson don't have any power, I never understood why the powers that be let that stand. Really pissed off your fans. He wasn't Jim Phillips but he was close.

Hell, most of us STILL PREFER Mike Morgan over Ellis!!

Pete Yanity ?

Reactions: hapcock
Don Munson is no prize, but we admit Todd Ellis is an abomination.
Together, our state produces some of the worst radio in the country.
Maybe Don will rip people off with a pyramid scam soon.

yesterday during the delay, 107.5 briefly switched over to the Ole Miss broadcast since there was nothing going on in Columbia and their play by play guy sounded like an actual professional.

No strained voice, no screaming into the microphone, painting a complete picture of the game without over the top statements, with a clear professional sounding voice - it was enjoyable.

Then our game got back on track and Todd Ellis was back in the booth with the 4 decade plus color commentator Tommy Suggs stepping all over him to cheer on nice play calls (a color commentator should never be heard cheering or celebrating over the actual play by play guy's play call. Tommy does it routinely. ).

Reactions: boatingsportscock
So while I’ve watched many USC games on TV, yesterday was the first time I’ve listened on the radio for a while (driving to Conway). My question is how do you guys listen to Ellis? I appreciate his enthusiasm but he makes any play over 5 yds sound like your about to score a TD. It’s exhausting. You can never get a feel for the rhythm of the game. Ours isn’t much better, his voice strains at anything more than a whisper. Lastly, good win yesterday. Please stick with Bentley.
Sorry you put yourself through that. Usually a six pack before game time helps if that is your only option

Reactions: DaTater3.0

Surprised you picked it up on radio.

Surprised you picked it up on radio.

Ain't that the truth?

yesterday during the delay, 107.5 briefly switched over to the Ole Miss broadcast since there was nothing going on in Columbia and their play by play guy sounded like an actual professional.

No strained voice, no screaming into the microphone, painting a complete picture of the game without over the top statements, with a clear professional sounding voice - it was enjoyable.

South Carolina does have a football announcer who paints a complete picture, with a clear, professional sounding voice, who gets hyped at big moments without being over the top. Unfortunately they let him leave for Georgia Tech.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I got not fight with Ellis. And agree with above that Fulton IN HIS PRIME was very good. I never thought Jim Phillips was good forClemz. I know they loved him, but I thought his voice was annoying (as Is Yannity), and routinely blamed Clemz loses on the officials.

I didn't care for Mike Morgan. He and Tommy Moody were so negative calling games, it might as well have been a funeral play by play.

I thought the,ole miss announcers were dry. They sounded like they were trading recipes.

Troy Aikman and Tony Romo were top NFL quarterbacks.

Kirk Herbstreit was a star QB at Ohio State.

All are respected network color commentators.

None are qualified to do play by play.

Our announcer is an inept rank amateur.

Zero improvement since day one.

Would be a sideline reporter, at best, anywhere else.

Go Cocks!

I love Suggs. He seems to be more brutally honest the older he gets, which is refreshing. Ellis is just a square peg trying to get in a round hole. Munson at Clemson is a joke. But he is Dabo's butt boy, so I suppose Dabo had the power to run a professional out of the booth for someone with only the experience of Byrnes football on their resume. And folks seemed to love Phillips and Fulton. But I think it was more folks just getting comfortable with hearing their voice for years. You could listen to either of them for great periods of time and not have a clue as to the time left. Mike Morgan always just made too much sense. Too bad that USC ignored his talents and let him get away

Troy Aikman and Tony Romo were top NFL quarterbacks.

Kirk Herbstreit was a star QB at Ohio State.

All are respected network color commentators.

None are qualified to do play by play.

Our announcer is an inept rank amateur.

Zero improvement since day one.

Would be a sideline reporter, at best, anywhere else.

Go Cocks!
That's home run post right there. I remember also when Monday Night Football (ABC) dumped Keith Jackson after one year to put Frank Gifford in the play-by-play chair - to act as a sort of buffer between Don Meredith and Howard Cosell. He became minimally competent, but he was in no way the equal of Keith Jackson, or any professional play-by-play man. In elevating Ellis, and carrying him this long, we have gone against what has already been proven inadvisable.

Bob Fulton was only a "voice" not a good play by play announcer
I don't know how old you are, but I'm old enough to remember pretty much his entire career in Columbia (two stints - he went to Ga. Tech for a couple of seasons and was brought back). Throughout the 1960s (the part of the decade he was here) and 1970s, even into the 1980s, he was a good a play-by-play man as you could want. He was on top of the action and was good at giving the score and time remaining often. In fact, early on, he worked without a color man, using only Johnny Evans and sometimes Homer Fesperman to give some statistics. Bob was sharp as a tack, but he stayed at it too long - way too long - and lost a lot of his acuity.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT