ADVERTISEMENT

USC Radio

Too bad - I like Todd and Tommy. Nice to have alums who are homers and don`t pretend not to be. Guess some of you would have rather had Charlie "kiss and hug the ones you love" Mac stay around. Sure Mike would have been great but we know that story. Todd and Tommy are true Gamecocks - don`t listen if you don`t like them. Guess OP liked hearing "there`s orange in the end zone." At least we never have had anyone like Will Merritt either.

Todd Ellis doesn't get bogged down with minor details such as how many yards were gained on a play. He'll also get excited about a big tackle by a USC defender and you eventually find out it was 5 or 10 yards down field. I'm just thankful all the games are televised so I can see what's really happening. Otherwise, I'd try to find the opposing team's radio broadcast. Yes, Todd is that bad, even though I'm sure he loves USC. I don't have a problem with Tommy Suggs as the "color" guy. You have no doubt who he's pulling for, but he doesn't mind saying he disagrees with Carolina's play calls, defensive approaches, showboating, etc. He was a senior when I was a freshman .... and he beat Uno Who all three varsity seasons.

Reactions: king ward
When a team is near midfield, Ellis will announce the yard marker but won’t tell you what side of the field.

I’ve lost count how many times he’ll scream about a diving catch at the 43 with me thinking we are on the opponent 43 only to find out it’s a 3 yard gain to our own 43.

He just sucks.

Todd Ellis doesn't get bogged down with minor details such as how many yards were gained on a play. He'll also get excited about a big tackle by a USC defender and you eventually find out it was 5 or 10 yards down field. I'm just thankful all the games are televised so I can see what's really happening. Otherwise, I'd try to find the opposing team's radio broadcast. Yes, Todd is that bad, even though I'm sure he loves USC. I don't have a problem with Tommy Suggs as the "color" guy. You have no doubt who he's pulling for, but he doesn't mind saying he disagrees with Carolina's play calls, defensive approaches, showboating, etc. He was a senior when I was a freshman .... and he beat Uno Who all three varsity seasons.

Reactions: fire ant
Todd sounds like a 3 pack a day ole Uncle Charlie screaming at the tv after Thanksgiving dinner.

Tommy interrupts Todd 30 times a game, and after big plays starts celebrating or talking before Todd has finished giving his version of the play by play call (a rookie mistake that even most high school play by play announcers wouldn’t put up with)

Too bad - I like Todd and Tommy. Nice to have alums who are homers and don`t pretend not to be. Guess some of you would have rather had Charlie "kiss and hug the ones you love" Mac stay around. Sure Mike would have been great but we know that story. Todd and Tommy are true Gamecocks - don`t listen if you don`t like them. Guess OP liked hearing "there`s orange in the end zone." At least we never have had anyone like Will Merritt either.

I turned on the game while riding home from my Saturday golf game. I had to travel about four miles - in traffic, stopping once and slowing for several turns. So the trip probably took me 10 minutes. I never heard the score between the golf course and my house.

I wish Todd wouldn't get so excited. When he does he quits relaying information. My Grandpa lost his vision when he had a Brain tumor removed. For people that our blind when something big happens he makes you wait to long to relay the information. He has got better over the years.

Nope, should be Mike Morgan.

I like Mike Morgan. I’d take him. I just thought Andy did such a nice job with baseball. You could tell he studied opponents, our history, and knew our team. Plus his call after Merrifeld’s single to right in Omaha, and “back to back for the Garnet and Black” will stick with Carolina fans forever. Those two moments. He shined with monologue etc that was memorable.

Folks complained about his accent, but by the same token worshiped Bob Fulton with a heavy Philadelphia accent. You can’t win.

I like Mike Morgan. I’d take him. I just thought Andy did such a nice job with baseball. You could tell he studied opponents, our history, and knew our team. Plus his call after Merrifeld’s single to right in Omaha, and “back to back for the Garnet and Black” will stick with Carolina fans forever. Those two moments. He shined with monologue etc that was memorable.

Folks complained about his accent, but by the same token worshiped Bob Fulton with a heavy Philadelphia accent. You can’t win.

Andy had a ton of legendary calls for the baseball team.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
I rather have a homer calling our games than someone who is neutral...

You can have someone who's passionate and enthusiastic about your team, but who also gives a clear, accurate call of the game. Case in point:

Andy had a ton of legendary calls for the baseball team.

Point being, you don't have to sacrifice accuracy at the expense of having a "homer" as your broadcaster.

You can have someone who's passionate and enthusiastic about your team, but who also gives a clear, accurate call of the game. Case in point:

Point being, you don't have to sacrifice accuracy at the expense of having a "homer" as your broadcaster.

You never hear Bob Fulton call a baseball game????

"It's a long fly ball to the outfield and the catcher has it for out #1..."

or "Fly ball over the 1st base line... When it was actually a ground ball on the 3rd base side...

We took a radio to the game and heckled Bob though-out the game...

We don't listen to him. Well, unless we absolutely have to. You taters had a good radio announcer until you let your AD fire him. Everyone knows AD's at Clemson don't have any power, I never understood why the powers that be let that stand. Really pissed off your fans. He wasn't Jim Phillips but he was close.

I think it was a Dabo move. I am not sure why he wanted it done, but is was certainly a step backwards from Pete Yannity.

I think it was a Dabo move. I am not sure why he wanted it done, but is was certainly a step backwards from Pete Yannity.
Yannity says "those" too much. By way of example- "and the Georgia Bulldogs in those silver britches" , or "Wake Forest comes out of the tunnel in those white jerseys".

Bob Fulton was only a "voice" not a good play by play announcer

Maybe so. Or maybe you don't know good play-by-play.

Got to admit Bob's become a legend in my mind, so I'd hate to think that's just because I didn't know good announcing when I heard it.

So while I’ve watched many USC games on TV, yesterday was the first time I’ve listened on the radio for a while (driving to Conway). My question is how do you guys listen to Ellis? I appreciate his enthusiasm but he makes any play over 5 yds sound like your about to score a TD. It’s exhausting. You can never get a feel for the rhythm of the game. Ours isn’t much better, his voice strains at anything more than a whisper. Lastly, good win yesterday. Please stick with Bentley.
Have to agree with you. Love his enthusiasm, but he really struugles with the English language and with conveying what is actually happening on the field during a play.

The really good play-by-play announcers paint a picture that the listener can visualize.

I rather have a homer calling our games than someone who is neutral...

The really good play-by-play announcers paint a picture that the listener can visualize.[/QUOTE]
I understand that people relate to things differently.
I understand that Todd gets things wrong and is not as polished as some would like.
But to say that he doesn't paint a picture that the listener can visualize - that I disagree with.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT