ADVERTISEMENT

visiting columbia-any advice?

Walk around Horseshoe at USC.
Walk around State Capitol building - see holes Sherman’s cannons put in side next to Assembly St/see African-American memorial on Sumter St side
Walk through Trinity Episcopal cemetary
Main St area - Cola Museum of Art (Matisse exhibit)/Mast General
Walk around Williams-Brice
Walk at Riverfront Canal

Lunch: Mr. Friendly’s ($) or Rockaway’s (near Willy B.)
Afternoon wine at Lula Drake or bourbon at Bourbon
Dinner: in Vista area. Motor Supply ($), burger at any number of good places, Oyster Bar (not Pearlz), then game

Reactions: cockgun
Since you have probably traveled to other states besides your own, you will find Columbia safe as other cities.

I would hit the museum if you still have time today. Too cold for river walk and zoo. Plenty of great lunch spots nearby on the viata...twisted spur and grill marks are good..

I would hit the vista for dinner and drinks. It will be packed so you may need dinner reservations most places. Personally, I would try Cola's around 6:30. Enjoy dinner and start walking towards the Colonial Center. There are a ton of bars on the way that you can have a drink as you descend toward the arena. Hickory tavern, pearlz and flying sauce are on the way. Non stop it is a 10 min walk.

Unless USC wins, it will be dead after the game so walk back up towards the vista to where you parked at Cola's (off gervais...usually $10) and head on back to hotel.

I looked it up....13 murders in Columbia and 16 murders in charleston last year. Looked like almost all were domestic or gang related off the grid. the Vista shooting last year landed everyone in jail and it was people from out of town.....that bar is closed down anyway. In other words, the likelihood of you getting mugged, shot or raped is about zero. This will be my 150th game and I have never been afraid for myself or wife. It sure as hell ain't NYC, DC, Memphis, parts of Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, Richmond, Birmingham, most of Florida or God forbid St. Louis.

National Geographic Traveler just released its top 29 small cities in America.

Columbia is one of them. Sorry to disappoint some of you.

If you question the methodology, Greenville and Charleston also made the list.
Greenville creeps me out.

5450039845_5022b1a0c2.jpg

Greenville creeps me out.

5450039845_5022b1a0c2.jpg

There you go, another idiot statement against one of the nicest cities in South Carolina. Why would Greenville creep anybody out. It is a good size modern city with plenty of well defined restaurants and quality of life. So many weird people on this site anymore, obviously not many with any culture. This is just another stupid opinion that means nothing. Too bad their is no toilet paper for his mouth.

I am from Columbia. It is kind of sad to see jokes on a gamecock board about crime , gangs etc. Columbia really needs to get its act together. But the truth is,there is not much to do in Columbia and it has traveled downhill in my opinion.

Riverbanks zoo if you have kids and it’s not freezing cold.
OH please....you are completely full of orange taint. There is plenty to do in Columbia. The crime and gangs are no worse in Columbia than any city of comparable size.

There you go, another idiot statement against one of the nicest cities in South Carolina. Why would Greenville creep anybody out. It is a good size modern city with plenty of well defined restaurants and quality of life. So many weird people on this site anymore, obviously not many with any culture. This is just another stupid opinion that means nothing. Too bad their is no toilet paper for his mouth.
I'll tell you why, Big Fella. It reminds me of the Utopian train set town that is just a little too perfect. Everything is crisp, clean and soulless, but I bet you $1,000,000 that they have a bunch of gays and minorities chained up beneath the city running on treadmills and being whipped to generate power for everybody else. C'mon, launch some more insults my way. Maybe even a mean direct message if you're really feeling spunky.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
I'll tell you why, Big Fella. It reminds me of the Utopian train set town that is just a little too perfect. Everything is crisp, clean and soulless, but I bet you $1,000,000 that they have a bunch of gays and minorities chained up beneath the city running on treadmills and being whipped to generate power for everybody else. C'mon, launch some more insults my way. Maybe even a mean direct message if you're really feeling spunky.

I don't have to launch anymore insults. I think you did a pretty good job of showing people what you are!

I don't have to launch anymore insults. I think you did a pretty good job of showing people what you are!
The Internet may not be the right place for you. Believe me, I'm a good guy, the goodest guy you'll ever interview.

OH please....you are completely full of orange taint. There is plenty to do in Columbia. The crime and gangs are no worse in Columbia than any city of comparable size.
I was gone from Columbia for 13 years. Before I left, there was no way in Hades I would walk on Main Street, even during the day. Now it's really nice. Great places to grab a bite for lunch, and it's much more active at night as well. You see many more people taking advantage of Main Street than they were before I left.

It used to be on the corner of St. Andrews & Broad River (Now a CVS). Most recently the Zorbas in Chapin, had a close delivery/copy of the old recipe.

I thought Fat Buddies II put Herb's Chicken on their menu. It's gone as well, though.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04

You have something against Greenville too?

Wtf are you talking about? Greenville is the best place to live in SC. It’s a shame you spout drivel.

You have something against Greenville too?
Too? What other city have I mentioned other than an actual Columbia suggestion to the OP in my first post in this thread?

Yes, Greenville is just a little too homogenized for me. It's a nice and pretty city, but it's not my bag. My parents live there and love it, and I am happy for them.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
Wtf are you talking about? Greenville is the best place to live in SC. It’s a shame you spout drivel.
People have opinions. They always have and always will. Better to come to grips with that fact.

That was funny

I am from Columbia. It is kind of sad to see jokes on a gamecock board about crime , gangs etc. Columbia really needs to get its act together. But the truth is,there is not much to do in Columbia and it has traveled downhill in my opinion.

Riverbanks zoo if you have kids and it’s not freezing cold.

I moved back to the midlands after being in the Lowcountry for 25 years.
The Columbia of today is light years ahead of what it was 25 years ago. Especially the Vista.
The restaurant scene has improved dramatically.

“Go to Charleston they say.” It’s a fantastic place. But it’s got to warts too. There’s just as many if not more flack jacket areas there as Columbia.

Let’s face every major metro has their issues.

I didnt answer this thread yet because i honestly don’t know where to begin... Columbia is an amazing town, and the only other place I’d want to live besides where I am now, which is home, born and raised.

I’ve lived in Los Angeles (South Bay beaches), Dallas metroplex, Chicago, Oklahoma City, Portland OR, Phoenix, Denver, and Washington DC, and there is no better place.

Will wrap my head around actual suggestions tomorrow but have a great time in the best place.

I'd rather live in Columbia or Greenville than Charleston, just my opinion

-Current Greenville/Former Columbia resident

I'd rather live in Columbia or Greenville than Charleston, just my opinion

-Current Greenville/Former Columbia resident
Charleston is a manic place with all the traffic and tourism, but it's a world class city. I'm from Columbia, BTW. I like Columbia a lot.

Best chicken and coldest beer in the whole state. It was a hangout for the police officers while we were at the academy. Many years ago.

Yeah..those big, thick, frozen mugs..full of Michelob draft...and the chicken..Herb had a way of frying it beyond the usual golden brown to a dark nutty brown without overcooking..always juicy and tender..unique..the best..

I thought Fat Buddies II put Herb's Chicken on their menu. It's gone as well, though.

Used to see Herb and his wife at Fat Buddies in Chapin after Herb sold his place and moved to the Lake! His place was GREAT back in the day, excellent fried chicken, catfish stew, and COLD BEER.

Herb's had two large white breasts on the menu and the coldest 14oz mug of beer in Columbia. Herb and his wife are both deceased now. That part of Columbia SUCKS now, ruined by gangs and other dipshits. Very sad!

Not much in life can beat 2 large white breasts.

Once again, your total ignorance rears its ugly head. Always trying to be the class clown, you fail to consider the facts. I don't know where you live and really don't care, but your continuing to run down Columbia is just wrong and only lends credence to those schools that recruit against us. I have attached a recent survey which shows Columbia and, its surrounding area, in a much more positive light than your childish manifestations. Since it does not contain pictures, I can only hope that you seek help in trying to digest it.

https://www.niche.com/places-to-live/search/safest-places/s/south-carolina/

Last edited:
Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Once again, your total ignorance rears its ugly head. Always trying to be the class clown, you fail to consider the facts. I don't know where you live and really don't care, but your continuing to run down Columbia is just wrong and only lends credence to those schools that recruit against us. I have attached a recent survey which shows Columbia and, its surrounding area, in a much more positive light than your childish manifestations. Since it does not contain pictures, I can only hope that you seek help in trying to digest it.

https://www.niche.com/places-to-live/search/safest-places/s/south-carolina/

Sorry. Went to Carolina. Still spend more time than I'd like there. Call 'em as I see 'em.

We took über to 5-points when Frank & the Flying Thornwell's danced on the gators in the elite 8, My best older buddy and me dancing around with the student body. Yesterday we just watched it in Irmo, but broke out the good Bourbon when we did it again. Gators are all mouth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT