ADVERTISEMENT

Wait til Next Year

^^^Just another Gamecock fan that makes excuses for mediocrity.

Let's see here........Eric Hymen left USC 9 years ago. Ray Tanner has been USC AD for the past 9 years. Frank Martin has been the USC basketball coach for the last 9 years. And you still cant find responsibility in Ray Tanner for the condition of this current program in 2021????

Here is the thing about ADs. They cut their reputation not just on the hires they make but the firings they execute. Hiring is not an exact science. Any of us who have done it a lot of it know you win some, you lose some. The secret to a strong executive in the staffing part of their job is how they handle the hiring misses. Who takes action to correct course and who lets the underperforming stay around too long and pull the whole group further down. Any logical person knows which side Ray Tanner is on.
“Does something need to be done about basketball? Absolutely!”
I wouldn’t call that accepting mediocrity but calling for change.

Tell me, would you have fired Frank Martin after the 2020 season based on his and the team’s performance?

Not that how i feel is relevant but I actually feel sad that such a large % of our fanbase is ok with mediocrity. Indeed, defends mediocrity.

Ok Mr. McFeely, let me explain something to you. Nobody is ok with mediocrity. There are different ideas of how to achieve greatness. Your way is not the only way no matter how strongly you feel about it.

“Does something need to be done about basketball? Absolutely!”
I wouldn’t call that accepting mediocrity but calling for change.

Tell me, would you have fired Frank Martin after the 2020 season based on his and the team’s performance?

Well I am not paid millions of dollars to make these decisions but I think I would have pulled the plug after the 18/19 season. We were two years removed from the Final Four, should have been seeing dividends from that run in recruiting and talent level and that was simply not happening. Two very mediocre years post Final Four with no rankings, no post season. We were seeing serious signs at that point that, for whatever reason, today's young players don't buy in to Martin's style/system.

So, you said something needs to be done about Carolina basketball. What do you think that something is?

Not sure how many folks realize it but this could be the worst record for a Carolina basketball team in 62 years.......since 1959. And this from a team that Martin himself said he liked very much going into the season.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Well I am not paid millions of dollars to make these decisions but I think I would have pulled the plug after the 18/19 season. We were two years removed from the Final Four, should have been seeing dividends from that run in recruiting and talent level and that was simply not happening. Two very mediocre years post Final Four with no rankings, no post season. We were seeing serious signs at that point that, for whatever reason, today's young players don't buy in to Martin's style/system.

So, you said something needs to be done about Carolina basketball. What do you think that something is?

Not sure how many folks realize it but this could be the worst record for a Carolina basketball team in 62 years.......since 1959. And this from a team that Martin himself said he liked very much going into the season.
Oh so you would have fired Frank Martin after going 11-7 in the SEC and when AJ, Keyshawn, and Jermaine were freshmen?

Not that how i feel is relevant but I actually feel sad that such a large % of our fanbase is ok with mediocrity. Indeed, defends mediocrity. If you can ever once provide evidence that endless negativity here changes anything, 'llI be the first to acknowledge your point.

3 more games to go and it'll be 2 straight years without even watching a game for me.

You'd fire a coach 2 years removed from a Final Four? WOW!!! I wasn't a FM fan when he was hired, but I'm also not stupid enough to call for his firing 2 years after a Final Four. If we had done that, we'd be lucky to get Horn...much less anyone worth a damn. You'd be shopping the HS and AAU circuits for a coach.

Reactions: NMB Dave
Eric Hyman hired Frank Martin. Martin then goes to the final four under Tanner's watch and every AD out there would have extended his contract and gave him a raise for that. Martin gets a COVID pass for this year but I think next year has to be judgement time for Martin and Tanner on men's basketball.

The writing is in the wall. Open your eyes. Next year, the year after that, and the year even after that won’t matter. Martin cannot recruit players to play his style of BB. He is OK as a coach. Ray is clueless. What a sorry mix.

Reactions: Sumptacock
Oh so you would have fired Frank Martin after going 11-7 in the SEC and when AJ, Keyshawn, and Jermaine were freshmen?
They were part of the same class but Couisnard did not play as a freshman. But your point is well taken. That was a lot of potential talent - then you add Leveque, Frink, Hannibal and McCreary and you have to be thinking tournament.

Even with just 5 wins Frank should get another year to straighten this out. But if we have another losing season next year then a change has to be made.

Please don't advocate for any coaching changes until we see Ray retire. It can only get worse.

Wasn’t Martin hired by Hyman? I don’t blame Ray for the current state of our basketball program. Does something need to be done about basketball? Absolutely! But last year we weren’t terrible. MBB had some dumb losses, but they beat clemson, beat Kentucky, and had a winning record in conference.
This year the team just tanked

Good point. Your high expectations are comforting.

Find me one AD...just ONE....who hasn't made a bad hire. As I previously noted, you have no clue what all the responsibilities of the AD are.....go volunteer in one if you really want to know.

Thank you rogue ... This is Ray.

Not that how i feel is relevant but I actually feel sad that such a large % of our fanbase is ok with mediocrity. Indeed, defends mediocrity.

Mediocrity is not only accepted, it is celebrated. The defense of these under-performing million dollar coaches is stupefying. Meanwhile the same posters will beat up on the players and protect the coaches.

They were part of the same class but Couisnard did not play as a freshman. But your point is well taken. That was a lot of potential talent - then you add Leveque, Frink, Hannibal and McCreary and you have to be thinking tournament.

Even with just 5 wins Frank should get another year to straighten this out. But if we have another losing season next year then a change has to be made.
Another year. 😂

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
Mediocrity is not only accepted, it is celebrated. The defense of these under-performing million dollar coaches is stupefying. Meanwhile the same posters will beat up on the players and protect the coaches.

I agree. And not only the defense of the coaching mediocrity but the blind defense of the athletic director that oversees and is ultimately accountable for it all is mind blowing.

You'd fire a coach 2 years removed from a Final Four? WOW!!! I wasn't a FM fan when he was hired, but I'm also not stupid enough to call for his firing 2 years after a Final Four. If we had done that, we'd be lucky to get Horn...much less anyone worth a damn. You'd be shopping the HS and AAU circuits for a coach.

Yes. And any AD that would have made that decision would have been proven correct over time. How many years later are we now and no top 25 rankings, no post-season tournaments. the fanbase in total apathy. The program is in bad shape. Bad.

Yes. And any AD that would have made that decision would have been proven correct over time. How many years later are we now and no top 25 rankings, no post-season tournaments. the fanbase in total apathy. The program is in bad shape. Bad.

Sounds like hindsight to me.

Your last paragraph, are we really that bad? I can't imagine a team being worse than tha 1998-99 outfit(8-21, 3-13 imagine how bad the record would've been without BJ).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT