ADVERTISEMENT

was told by a friend who is usually right that...

What would Pearson Phowler, a kid in his 20s who never played football, know about hiring a football coach? He was in high school when Beamer was in Columbia.

Been said Beamer has friends in the media that are campaigning hard for him
Totally agree. But Jay and Tommy have been singing his praises too. I don't get it.

Yeah, he clearly makes the most sense. I have made a complete 180 on Beamer though... I am probably mostly curious to see what he can do if given a shot which is a risky reason to hire a guy, but fortunately for us all I am not the AD!!

Wonder if Beamer would come to Columbia as an assistant for Napier?Maybe OC/Recruiting Cord. AHC

11-3 last year, I think he beat one ranked team. His offenses have broken multiple ULL records.

Only negatives there- He has not won the conference and has not beaten App St.

Prior to his Hc stint- he was fired by Dabo which gives them a clear leverage point over him as long as he recruits against cu.
Thank you, good summary.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
All Tanner has talked about since Sunday is getting an offensive minded coach here. Beamer has never been an OC. Sure, he works for Lincoln Riley, but what is his offensive experience?
He has coached TEs, RBs and is currently “assistant head coach- offense” at Oklahoma... a team that has scored 124 points over the past two weeks- over 200 over the past 4 games.

Wonder if Beamer would come to Columbia as an assistant for Napier?Maybe OC/Recruiting Cord. AHC
I don’t think a lateral position move from Oklahoma to here would really be to his benefit. Unless he just wants to get back here that bad, I kind of doubt it TBH, but who knows! The better question is would Napier want that?

Because they have been right so many times...they should go with the opposite and pick Napier
Wouldn't this cause the USC paradox? By doing the opposite of what they originally decided, that means they have made a decision, so they should do the opposite of that.

If Beamer is the guy, he’s the guy. I hope he has a plan to hire one heck of a proven staff to surround him. I’d rather have Napier or Chadwell, but I’m not the guy making the offer/hire. Of course, I believed against belief and hoped against hope that Muschamp could generate wins here. It just wasn’t to be. I’d love to have Fickell here. He has Cincinnati on a roll . They’re beating their opponents unmercifully!

If Beamer is the guy, he’s the guy. I hope he has a plan to hire one heck of a proven staff to surround him. I’d rather have Napier or Chadwell, but I’m not the guy making the offer/hire. Of course, I believed against belief and hoped against hope that Muschamp could generate wins here. It just wasn’t to be. I’d love to have Fickell here. He has Cincinnati on a roll . They’re beating their opponents unmercifully!
Totally agree.

Reactions: Bear_Rooster
He has coached TEs, RBs and is currently “assistant head coach- offense” at Oklahoma... a team that has scored 124 points over the past two weeks- over 200 over the past 4 games.
I don't see how that qualifies him as an offensive coach. He is not a coordinator and he doesn't call plays. That title also carries administrative duties.

He might make a good CEO type Head Coach, but he is not an "offensive minded" coach in the sense that most people think of it.

I am totally comfortable with- and downright excited about either option... Napier was my first choice but Beamer has grown on me in the past few days! I literally thought it was a joke to consider him at first until I reviewed his resume since leaving here. Fans are clueless for the most part when it comes to this stuff. They cannot analyze beyond a coach’s recent W-L record. You have to take the whole picture into account especially with a guy like Beamer... Name recognition and all that is fine/ whatever that amounts to, AHC experience at two big time programs is solid experience... but the fact he is the only candidate who can say “I KNOW HOW TO WIN AND RECRUIT WELL AT USC” gives him an advantage over everyone in my eyes. Unless we bring back SOS, there is almost nobody we could hire who can really say that... We all saw the changes to our recruiting success (and eventually to our on field success as a result of that drop off) soon after he left. Part of that was dearth of local talent, part was simply that the guys recruiting for us after him were not Beamer!
Who did Beamer bring in here. And what did he win? I know Spurrier named Jay Graham recruiting coordinator on Friday then took it back on Monday. Later asked both of them to look around. Setting things up for Jr., or trying to is when our recruiting went downhill. Then after Whammy was hired, we didn’t recruit a defensive lineman worth a flip after Clowney. Then when Lawing had to leave in a hurry, that was the final straw. Just curious on Beamer. I really haven’t kept up. Don’t won’t him as our coach so he will probably win in a landslide. What happened to all the people wanting reading of Ray. Personally, I’m shocked he is getting another shot at the apple. No, it’s the garnet way I guess.

You know Ray is intrigued with Beamer and his bloodline being an old ACC guy. That may be a worse hire than Muschamp. Ray outdoing himself.

Who did Beamer bring in here. And what did he win? I know Spurrier named Jay Graham recruiting coordinator on Friday then took it back on Monday. Later asked both of them to look around. Setting things up for Jr., or trying to is when our recruiting went downhill. Then after Whammy was hired, we didn’t recruit a defensive lineman worth a flip after Clowney. Then when Lawing had to leave in a hurry, that was the final straw. Just curious on Beamer. I really haven’t kept up. Don’t won’t him as our coach so he will probably win in a landslide. What happened to all the people wanting reading of Ray. Personally, I’m shocked he is getting another shot at the apple. No, it’s the garnet way I guess.
Who did he bring in? Gilmore, Jeffrey, Shaw, Latti, Swearinger, Holloman, Sanders, Cann, Quarrls... Basically the entire core of players that made us a winner.

What did he win? Well obviously giving one man credit for winning is not accurate. But he brought in the PLAYERS who won the SEC East while he was here in 09, then won the first of our 11 win seasons when he was here in 2010, and again the players he recruited won 11 games the two seasons after he left as well.

I am not trying to give Beamer all the credit for our success or even imply he was a bigger part than he was BUT I am saying that he was part of the staff that built us into a winner and we did not get dramatically better until he was given a bigger role here. We did not dominate in state recruiting until he became recruiting coordinator and recruiting fell off soon after he left. Could all of those things be a coincidence? Sure.. is that likely or even reasonable to propose? No. He helped make us into a winner. He helped build THIS program.. So anyone implying he has no experience building a program like ours is just flat wrong- he is literally the only coach being considered who can say he HELOED BUILD THIS PROGRAM INTO A WINNER. At the very least he had a front row seat, and clearly he had a direct hand in making the changes that caused us to be successful. He deserves all the interviews, all the smoke, all the positive push from the press... He is not being raised by so many right now because he is friendly or because his name is Beamer. He is getting all of this discussion for our job because he is a serious candidate with 20 years of coaching experience and he has earned his shot.

Reactions: Joe MorrisonLives
Napier was WR coach when Kiffen was OC at alabama. I think he probably learned a lot. I read a couple of articles at SI articles on Napier and he is modeling his program the same way as Saban

Mooch also modeled his program after Saban and you see how it turned out. Maybe Napier has been more flexible, incorporated his ideas and that is why his winning at Louisiana.

Yep, Shane Beamer would be a total USC move...I honestly can't believe he's being seriously considered.

Keep in mind that I think Jimmy Sexton is repping all these guys so he's got to make sure they are all in the press equally.

Reactions: cadcock
I don't see how that qualifies him as an offensive coach. He is not a coordinator and he doesn't call plays. That title also carries administrative duties.

He might make a good CEO type Head Coach, but he is not an "offensive minded" coach in the sense that most people think of it.
Ok, well... You’re wrong. He has 20 years of coaching experience and is directly involved in the most prolific offense in the big 12. He coaches H-backs there today and implementation of that position in their offense is one of the biggest changes Riley made when he took over. He is an offensive minded coach who has also coached D and STs, so be knows all three facets of the game and he is a world class recruiter and evaluator of talent. He is more than qualified to be considered for a HC position. Whether he called plays or not is truly irrelevant as 99% of HCs let their OC do that.

Beamer wasn't on anyone's wish list last year with all the openings. What has he done this year to stand out all of a sudden?
Do you know he wasn’t on any lists? Is that published info? Hugh Freeze wasn’t either. What has he done? Had one winning season? In the Sunbelt? Give the man a crown!

Look- I have said from the jump NAPIER is the smart hire. He is my top candidate. I am defending Beamer because he has earned his shot, he is a SC guy and he knows how to RECRUIT AND WIN HERE. Everyone spouting off about his lack of experience is wrong. He has 20 years under his belt and has been ASSISTANT HC at two universities with more prominent programs than our own. He was not on the list for serious consideration here when Spurrier left but even THEN his name came up. Since then he has coached at Oklahoma, as the AHC over their offense which has been basically the most prolific offense in CFB during that time. He deserves his shot. I still think we hire Napier, he deserves his shot too but if we go with Shane we should all understand it was not some idiotic move born from some love for his name or the fact Tanner once.. Coached in ACC?? What? Those responses are made up and completely irresponsible.

Reactions: sclawman77
Do you know he wasn’t on any lists? Is that published info? Hugh Freeze wasn’t either. What has he done? Had one winning season? In the Sunbelt? Give the man a crown!

Look- I have said from the jump NAPIER is the smart hire. He is my top candidate. I am defending Beamer because he has earned his shot, he is a SC guy and he knows how to RECRUIT AND WIN HERE. Everyone spouting off about his lack of experience is wrong. He has 20 years under his belt and has been ASSISTANT HC at two universities with more prominent programs than our own. He was not on the list for serious consideration here when Spurrier left but even THEN his name came up. Since then he has coached at Oklahoma, as the AHC over their offense which has been basically the most prolific offense in CFB during that time. He deserves his shot. I still think we hire Napier, he deserves his shot too but if we go with Shane we should all understand it was not some idiotic move born from some love for his name or the fact Tanner once.. Coached in ACC?? What? Those responses are made up and completely irresponsible.
Tanner loves ACC guys or with ACC backgrounds. It's just a fact. Holbrook, Kingston. I'm not making that up. I'm not trashing him. Just pointing it out. ACC is his roots.

Ray Tanner didn't think Lincoln Riley was experienced enough as the OC for Oklahoma...but we're talking about hiring an assistant from Oklahoma?

Sounds about right.

Tanner loves ACC guys or with ACC backgrounds. It's just a fact. Holbrook, Kingston. I'm not making that up. I'm not trashing him. Just pointing it out. ACC is his roots.

Honest question, do you just make up things you think are facts? Kingston is not an ACC guy, he was at Miami for a year, when they were in the Big East.

Reactions: rogue cock
Why did he come for two interviews? All caps doesn't make this true.

I am sure he was interested in the job, then Stoops and Oklahoma squashed it with promises of him taking over there, which happened.

BTW the all caps doesn't make it the truth, the fact that it is the truth makes it true.

Reactions: rogue cock
I am sure he was interested in the job, then Stoops and Oklahoma squashed it with promises of him taking over there, which happened.

BTW the all caps doesn't make it the truth, the fact that it is the truth makes it true.
You have no idea what was said and what was promised. This is speculation, not fact. We know two facts: He interviewed. He was not offered.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT