ADVERTISEMENT

WBB GAMETHREAD: # 2 Stanford vs # 1 Gamecocks

I missed this game because my son is playing in a Christmas tournament. However, it seems like the game was similar to the Final Four game. Stanford jumping us early and us making adjustments and fighting back late. Fortunately, it went our way this time. I was worried about this game because Stanford neutralizes our size. They force us to become more guard reliant. I heard Henny came through again just like she did in the Final Four game.

Vol fans complaining about the officiating. Hello, have they forgotten about how this game ended last year? Don't want to hear it.
Oh wow you weren't kidding. They seem awfully salty about this. I mean any overlooked calls here was basically nothing compared to the final four game with legit consequences. I'm sure any USC fan would have much preferred to get some beneficial calls in April rather than tonight.

We didn’t look like number 1 in the first half, but dang we sure showed why we’re number 1 in the second half!
Stanford only scored 19 points in the 2nd half.

We were down 13 to UCONN in the 1st half and we won by 16.

You would think all of our fans would understand by now that Dawn is outstanding at making defensive adjustments.

Oh wow you weren't kidding. They seem awfully salty about this. I mean any overlooked calls here was basically nothing compared to the final four game with legit consequences. I'm sure any USC fan would have much preferred to get some beneficial calls in April rather than tonight.
The Boneyard thread about our game is pretty entertaining as well.

Life at the top I guess

No. 1 South Carolina Gets Final Four Revenge Over No. 2 Stanford, 65-61

The Final Four battle back in March carried over its same intensity into tonight's rematch. But tonight, South Carolina walks away victorious this time around, 65-61, protecting its No. 1 throne and undefeated record. The Gamecocks are now 6-0 over ranked opponents in the 2021-22 season.

Destanni Henderson was the hero for South Carolina in the second half. South Carolina's floor general carried the momentum on both ends of the floor she created in the third into the final frame. Henderson finished with 17 points and seven assists and steals.

Stanford was plagued with 20 turnovers, while South Carolina scored 26 points off of its mistakes, including 10 massive blocks.

How can so many of you posters look to find fault in everything about Gamecock athletics? Some of you "fans" have apparently not seen this team play much this year. I honestly felt quite comfortable at halftime. Did you watch the UConn game? Very similar. Stanford played the best game they could possibly play in the first half. It is very difficult to keep that up for a full game. Dawn made the adjustments necessary to get us back in the game. Might not have pulled it out on the road but the crowd made a huge difference tonight. Great win by the girls and we are still #1! Please let that sink in for a moment.....

Just got back from the CLA!!! OMG.

First off fams were fantastic!! Never gave up and cheered their voices away. I know!

Reffing was horrid BUT we got out muscled, hustled and toughed in the first half. They killed it from 3 and that just opened up the back door.

We were out rebounded by 6 in the first half but finished the game even 40-40 but beat them by 8 on O rebounds. We ratched up our intensity and toughness underneath.

Henny absolutely exposed their pg weakness!! 7 steals(13 for the team) and countless other great plays. We force 20 yes 20 turnovers and only committed 7!!! BY GAWD she is the fastest player in the country with the ball in her hands, her head is always up to see court.

The inbounds play with 4 seconds was brilliant, and Stanford went absolutely brain dead.

How can so many of you posters look to find fault in everything about Gamecock athletics? Some of you "fans" have apparently not seen this team play much this year. I honestly felt quite comfortable at halftime. Did you watch the UConn game? Very similar. Stanford played the best game they could possibly play in the first half. It is very difficult to keep that up for a full game. Dawn made the adjustments necessary to get us back in the game. Might not have pulled it out on the road but the crowd made a huge difference tonight. Great win by the girls and we are still #1! Please let that sink in for a moment.....
Yes, you're right. I watched all the video I could find on Stanford and they have not hit from the 3 all year like they did in the 1st half. They missed so many open shots against Texas that they were hitting in the first half tonight. They were very impressive.

And, like you, I felt strangely not discouraged at half. I wouldn't say I was confident enough to call the comeback, but I did feel like we would get back in it. They faded against the defensive pressure of Texas, S Florida and Tennessee in the 2nd halves of those games.

Just got back from the CLA!!! OMG.

First off fams were fantastic!! Never gave up and cheered their voices away. I know!

Reffing was horrid BUT we got out muscled, hustled and toughed in the first half. They killed it from 3 and that just opened up the back door.

We were out rebounded by 6 in the first half but finished the game even 40-40 but beat them by 8 on O rebounds. We ratched up our intensity and toughness underneath.

Henny absolutely exposed their pg weakness!! 7 steals(13 for the team) and countless other great plays. We force 20 yes 20 turnovers and only committed 7!!! BY GAWD she is the fastest player in the country with the ball in her hands, her head is always up to see court.

The inbounds play with 4 seconds was brilliant, and Stanford went absolutely brain dead.
Have we been outrebounded in a game since Boston stepped on campus? I know we were killed on the boards when Baylor eliminated Carolina in the tournament in 2019, but I don't recall another game since (we were even with Stanford tonight and UT last season)

Have we been outrebounded in a game since Boston stepped on campus? I know we were killed on the boards when Baylor eliminated Carolina in the tournament in 2019, but I don't recall another game since (we were even with Stanford tonight and UT last season)
Yes we have. None last year but A&M in ‘19-20 and I think 2 other times

Reactions: DarkCock
Yikes, not very well spoken and somewhat inattentive. Was looking at what I presume was the stat sheet like it contained the nuclear launch codes and needed her approval
I had the same impression. She had to be there and, being the cerebral type, she was intent on studying the stat sheet. They needed one more microphone if the young woman on the left was going to speak. It was an obligatory appearance but the coach seemed generous in praising our team while hopeful regarding hers.

Reactions: RoosterBooster1
Thank God for Destanni Henderson.

Henny did her thing tonight, although, I think she should've shot the ball more

Saxton as always is a stalwart around the rim with her rebounds and gritty play.

Double- double 'B' is always awake.

Staley needs to play Littleton more. Her adjustment of bigger guard and less Zia helped swing this game around.

Aimhere....sheessh!!!!

Great dub - on to the next. 7 turnovers, 13 steals, 10 blocks.....what you are talking about.

Non-conference revenge tour complete

Does anyone know what's up with Leelee? She was not at the game.

Last edited:
"If she could have waited one game, I would have been happy. She was a one-person press out there."

Reactions: rogue cock
Thank God for Destanni Henderson.

Henny did her thing tonight, although, I think she should've shot the ball more

Saxton as always is a stalwart around the rim with her rebounds and gritty play.

Double- double 'B' is always awake.

Staley needs to play Littleton more. Her adjustment of bigger guard and less Zia helped swing this game around.

Aimhere....sheessh!!!!

Great dub - on to the next. 7 turnovers, 13 steals, 10 blocks.....what you are talking about.

Does anyone know what's up with Leelee? She was not at the game.
"She should've shot the ball more." I've been saying that since her freshman year. She has such a point guard mentality that I think it doesn't come natural to her. We had to be down 18 before she would take over the game. I don't know if she realizes how good she is.

Lele was in protocol. I assume COVID related.

Agree about Littleton. Amihere and Zia just didn't seem to be sure what do with the ball and unfortunately made the wrong decision most of the time tonight. Great to have depth, isn't it?

"She should've shot the ball more." I've been saying that since her freshman year. She has such a point guard mentality that I think it doesn't come natural to her. We had to be down 18 before she would take over the game. I don't know if she realizes how good she is.

Agree about Littleton. Amihere and Zia just didn't seem to be sure what do with the ball and unfortunately made the wrong decision most of the time tonight. Great to have depth, isn't it?
Yes, having depth is good. And Littleton at the PG spot should be the focus moving forward or even mins at the SG spot. Aimhere is just beyond terrible when she wants to be.

Henny was a scorer in high school, but I think growing up around TY who was a pass first PG might've altered her mindset a little. As long as she knows she can take over a game this will help going forward. In the end she has to remember that she's a senior now and WNBA scouts are looking for shooters.

Sucks for Lele.

They're jealous that we're the lead dog in the SEC now.

well he aint wrong
Oh really now. Tell me the recruit that Dawn passed on that was really going to come here? Remember we recruit Paige Bueckers level players here at South Carolina if you are going to play. You really think Dawn Staley didn’t recruit Paige Bueckers?

Zia is just in a massive slump. Against Duke she was 1-12 before hitting a three that helped put us back in full control but then missed a few more times.
Ami bête, I am not sure. I really really want her to do well and I want to see what we all heard so much about. At times we have seen that athleticism and ability and looks of dominance. However we see more times where she is very indecisive in what to do . Sometimes she tries to make a good play and it’s wrong time and decision then other times it looks as if a perfect play is there and she doesn’t know what to do. I am waiting for that light to come on and stay on. If that happens and Cooke comes out of her slump there will be no one able to stop us

Oh really now. Tell me the recruit that Dawn passed on that was really going to come here? Remember we recruit Paige Bueckers level players here at South Carolina if you are going to play. You really think Dawn Staley didn’t recruit Paige Bueckers?
This conversation was hashed and rehashed months ago. No one except CDS knows who she has offered. If she offers a player, it is up to them to come or go elsewhere. You would think almost every player would want to come here. Winning tradition, big time atmosphere, Hall of fame coach who gets players to the show. It’s hard to argue with Dawn’s success.

Reactions: uscedge21
I found this outstanding analysis of last night's game from the Stanford board. I love this level of discussion and feel like the WBB threads on here are the closest we come to it on FGF. Of course, we still have to put with the idiots whose analysis of the 1st half was "we need more whyte girls." But, whatever. There's always going to be a few.

Anyway, this Stanford commentator really nails it:

I think the reason we have poor third quarters is that the opponent's defense figures out how to play against our offense by then. For those of us who watch our offense all the time we can forget that it is unique and hard to defend against--no amount of practice can really prepare opponents for the pace of what we do. By the time they have played against it for a half they figure it out--provided they have the kind of players who can disrupt it. Both Tennessee and South Carolina keyed their third quarter breakouts by shutting down our offense for long stretches--something neither could do in the first half. If our offense were based more purely on physical talent there would be little difference between the 1st and the 2nd halves, but since it is dependent on a scheme, the opponent learns in the first half how to deal with the scheme in the second.

We scored more points in EACH of the first two quarters than we scored in the entirely of the second half. Our offense can be "disrupted" in a way that suddenly reversed success, quite clearly. Where can one obtain the +/- for this game? I suspect it will be quite revealing about who was in and who was out during our good and poor phases.

We also shot the lights out in the first quarter. It was unrealistic to assume that could continue. And one of the great advantages of shooting lights out is that rebounds are not necessary and the opponent can't fast break. Once we started missing it allowed South Carolina to do things it couldn't do before.

I agree that Belibi and Prechtel looked much better on the floor than Brink today--really for the trip. I also agree that Henderson was their key to success. Interestingly, Cooke scored 25 against us in the semis and was held to 4 today--so we did some things well on defense.

I am not disappointed to lose a close game to the #1 team on the road--but I am disappointed to blow such a big lead. It was the biggest comeback in the history of South Carolina basketball. I think we are at the point where the coaches need to think carefully about what can be done to even out our performance. These long offensive droughts need to be reduced.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT