ADVERTISEMENT

WBB: Hayes sisters enter transfer portal

I have a friend who just recently retired from MSU athletic department. His VERY guarded comment was, “Vic is not the nice guy everyone thinks he is. I saw him in action his entire tenure.” Then he just shook his head
I have heard the same and it goes way beyond his "bad cop" to Johnnie's "good cop." He is not the good ol' boy he portrays.

Reactions: winloseortie
Duke basketball will be interesting next year. I think they will have decent talent, but Lawson is still relatively unknown as a coach.

Duke basketball will be interesting next year. I think they will have decent talent, but Lawson is still relatively unknown as a coach.
They only had one recruit in the incoming class, Lee Volker. She is a three* just outside of the top 100.
So in essence the transfers are their recruiting class. I think a good season for them is to finish in the top Half of the ACC

Reactions: Gamekem
I predict Jordan Lewis to Baylor. Thought it would have already happened. The longer she waits maybe LSU has a shot.

I predict Jordan Lewis to Baylor. Thought it would have already happened. The longer she waits maybe LSU has a shot.
Neither of those teams make sense to me. Baylor got Texas Tech transfer Chrislyn Carr, a PG who averaged 18 ppg. LSU returns All SEC PG Khayla Pointer with an extra year of eligibility

Reactions: gamecockblack
How sweet is this? Tryouts are in Columbia and Dawn will be the coach. Maybe our ladies could do a little recruiting. lol

Wonder why no UCONN players accepted an invitation. Hmmm

Last edited:
She has to hit the recruiting trail first though. Their depleted. But, I'm sure her resume will help to attract folks.
That was my unstated point.
Her first year she is just stuck with a roster.
Second year, clean house, invite every transfer and Juco you can to join a hopefully decent recruiting class.
Third year rinse and repeat. If she knows her stuff and is lucky it would still be a miracle to be .500 in conference

Well you called it. I did not think she would go there. We appear to be the only top team that did not get a ring chasing transfer. Dawn recruited us out of that strategy
I believe Baylor had some crazy number like 9 spots open at one point. I would be shocked if Mulkey can cobble together a championship team with that many transfers. They'll be good, of course. Just not national champs.

And, yes, Dawn's recruiting has been excellent these last few years. Keeping Lele is more a luxury than a necessity.

Reactions: Goody101
Well you called it. I did not think she would go there. We appear to be the only top team that did not get a ring chasing transfer. Dawn recruited us out of that strategy
I hope that subsequent events never chase us into that strategy. I disdain what's going on. I say "disdain" in order to remain on the proper side of politeness. That applies to all the big college sports.

I hope that subsequent events never chase us into that strategy. I disdain what's going on. I say "disdain" in order to remain on the proper side of politeness. That applies to all the big college sports.
Many thoughts

We don’t win a national championship without transfers Alisha Gray and Kaela Davis. So I am not willing to use blanket statements about transfers.
The last four who transferred out from USC: Aarion Bradshaw, Bianca Jackson, Haley Troup, and La’Dhazia Williams all did so out of frustration. All were buried on the bench and all four became starters as soon as they were eligible. Hooray for them.

The portal is both blessing and curse. It gives the player more freedom and power over their own career. That is a good thing. We can change jobs for a better opportunity whenever we want, why not them?

You also see that the majority of players transferring are going down a level. That is a benefit to player and coach. Player gets PT and coaches get to dump non productive players and upgrade their roster

But there is a long shadow side.
Under handed recruiting will basically never stop.

Players are in danger of never confronting and overcoming difficulties..... instead “i’ll transfer.”

We will eventually see a group of players “collude” to all transfer to form a super team.

Roster turnover can reek havoc on a program’s continuity. The game will move to more and more coach driven not institution driven. This is great for us with DS. The flip side is Nikki McCray-Pinson, she inherited an excellent roster to extend a budding dynasty. Poof, her second year will only have two players from when she arrived.
Syracuse has 11 players in the transfer portal WTH

Last edited:
Many thoughts

We don’t win a national championship without transfers Alisha Gray and Kaela Davis. So I am not willing to use blanket statements about transfers.
The last four who transferred out from USC: Aarion Bradshaw, Bianca Jackson, Haley Troup, and La’Dhazia Williams all did so out of frustration. All were buried on the bench and all four became starters as soon as they were eligible. Hooray for them.

The portal is both blessing and curse. It gives the player more freedom and power over their own career. That is a good thing. We can change jobs for a better opportunity whenever we want, why not them?

You also see that the majority of players transferring are going down a level. That is a benefit to player and coach. Player gets PT and coaches get to dump non productive players and upgrade their roster

Players are in danger of never confronting and overcoming difficulties..... instead “i’ll transfer.”

We will eventually see a group of players “collude” to all transfer to form a super team.

Roster turnover can reek havoc on a program’s continuity. The game will move to more and more coach driven not institution driven. This is great for us with DS. The flip side is Nikki McCray-Pinson, she inherited an excellent roster to extend a budding dynasty. Poof, her second year will only have two players from when she arrived.
In the end, I doubt this transfer portal as it works now will really give players more "freedom and power." Imagine being a player who waited your turn to start and now a player is transferring in who's going to take your starting spot. Now you're forced to transfer, if you want more playing time. But maybe you don't want to transfer. Either way I doubt you would feel like the transfer portal was a benefit to you.

I also think the transfer portal, as it stands now, gives coaches more cover to run off unwanted players.

Hopefully the NCAA will restore sanity and return to the pre-COVID transfer rules. As someone who has a kid who plays club ball, which is constant roster turmoil, I can say we really shouldn't want college ball to turn into club ball. Trust me.

In the end, I doubt this transfer portal as it works now will really give players more "freedom and power." Imagine being a player who waited your turn to start and now a player is transferring in who's going to take your starting spot. Now you're forced to transfer, if you want more playing time. But maybe you don't want to transfer. Either way I doubt you would feel like the transfer portal was a benefit to you.

I also think the transfer portal, as it stands now, gives coaches more cover to run off unwanted players.

Hopefully the NCAA will restore sanity and return to the pre-COVID transfer rules. As someone who has a kid who plays club ball, which is constant roster turmoil, I can say we really shouldn't want college ball to turn into club ball. Trust me.
Its almost to late for that. AAU has basically taken over as it is. They push kids to certain schools based on apparel ties and other things they can get out of it. This is all creating these problems now. AAU is destroying the game of basketball. They will rule over NCAA if not already doing it behind the scenes. I know there are transfers in other sports but basketball is out of hand.

Make that 12 winloseortie. Kamilla Cardoso transferring out of Syracuse

Something funky is going over there.

Word on the street is she's looking at uconn or Auburn. Hope she chooses the SEC school, she's from Tenn. But, don't be surprise if goes to Kentucky either. A few of her high school teammates are there.

Last edited:
Make that 12 winloseortie. Kamilla Cardoso transferring out of Syracuse

Something funky is going over there.

Word on the street is she's looking at uconn or Auburn. Hope she chooses the SEC school, she's from Tenn. But, don't be surprise if goes to Kentucky either. A few of her high school teammates are there.
UCONN already has Ododa-Nelson and got the center from Ohio St, Dorka Juhazs, who was 1st team Big 10. They also have 6’5” Amari Deberry as an incoming Fr.
Cardoso is a great talent but that would a logjam. She would transform UK

Hillsman must be radioactive at Syracuse but I have heard no rumblings about anything

UCONN already has Ododa-Nelson and got the center from Ohio St, Dorka Juhazs, who was 1st team Big 10. They also have 6’5” Amari Deberry as an incoming Fr.
Cardoso is a great talent but that would a logjam. She would transform UK

Hillsman must be radioactive at Syracuse but I have heard no rumblings about anything
I like Aaliyah Edwards out of all of them (well, I haven't seen Deberry). Hopefully she'll transfer if UCONN adds another big.

Many thoughts

I never said that there is no place for transfers. I differentiate between the system that brought Gray and Davis here and what is happening now. This is carte blanche. It is also counter-educational and anti-developmental in terms of maturity and character. And it is chaotic. How can all that be good?

The NCAA is not going to restore sanity to anything. The NCAA will mess it up even more so than it is - like AAU does, at least the big-time AAU.

11 strong at the spring game. It's nice to be spared all the chaos. Wish I could say the same about the men's team.

Sources tell @TheNextHoops
that Baylor center Hannah Gusters has entered the transfer portal and has asked that other schools not contact her, indicating that she already knows where she is transferring too.

She was the second-ranked center in the 2020 high school class.

Sources tell @TheNextHoops
that Baylor center Hannah Gusters has entered the transfer portal and has asked that other schools not contact her, indicating that she already knows where she is transferring too.

She was the second-ranked center in the 2020 high school class.
Well the first shoe has dropped in the Mulkey, LSU and Baylor recruiting saga.

Gusters who was a top recruit but played very limited minutes(second fewest minutes of anyone on the roster) at Baylor has committed to LSU

Well the first shoe has dropped in the Mulkey, LSU and Baylor recruiting saga.

Gusters who was a top recruit but played very limited minutes(second fewest minutes of anyone on the roster) at Baylor has committed to LSU
Yeah, I saw that the other day.

& 6'9 Mulkey is heading to Washington as a grad transfer

Moon Ursin (5-6 point guard, Destrehan, LA) has reentered the portal as a grad xfer; she had signed with LSU WBB in June as a grad xfer from Baylor

Should've stayed where you was at. Keeping following Skeletor

Reactions: DarkCock
Moon Ursin (5-6 point guard, Destrehan, LA) has reentered the portal as a grad xfer; she had signed with LSU WBB in June as a grad xfer from Baylor

Some are speculating it could have something to do with the effects of Hurricane Ida. She's from Louisiana and we don't know what havoc that may have caused to her family and home. I hoping that theory is not the case.

Vandy's coach is desperate right now. Cancelling the season probably saved her job. Otherwise it would have been a winless season. It's also close to home for the sisters. If Vandy believes they're too good to take them, they should probably just drop WBB. Of course, the sisters might now want to go there. We'll see.
Vandy admissions requires an IQ.

Been looking and don’t see anything, brother can you spare me a link?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT