ADVERTISEMENT

We didn’t get any of the top 5 in state players

I thought we would grab a couple of those
Three of them didn't even return our calls until Sneed started within the last month or so of the regular season but by then he had his heart set on Notre Dame and when they promoted the DC to HC we lost our last best hope. Kinda hard to capitalize on an opportunity you're not given. We'll be fine with what we got this year and we'll have more chances next year.

We got one of the best QB available and TE that plays like Jared Cook from the portal. How many teams can say that
I don't think he was knocking Beamer, but he's right that it's a loss, but Beamer can't do anything if most those guys made their minds up about us before he got the job and that does hurt us, no two ways about it. Sneed would get major minutes year one here, and you're better off building with multi-year starters from instate than constantly chasing stop gaps in the portal. We'll have better luck recruiting next year because that crop is picking up for us. There is only so much in state, our path to sustained success goes through winning that back from Clemson. I believe Beamer is the guy to do it

Reactions: heavycock
Beamer has to do better in state. Our class this year is about where it usually is and lost out on a top receiver in state we needed. Hopefully Beamer can close the deal in state next recruiting cycle. I agree with the poster that stated it's hard to build consistency in a program with one year wonders, but it is what it is for now.

Blabo has 12-13 years on Beamer. If this happens next year, then we may have an issue in-state.
This is BS. Clemson doesn't WANT any "top" SC players...they've shown that over the past 5-6 years in recruiting. This is first year they've actually taken multiple top 5 in state guys. They've turned their back on the kids in state for the most part.
Yes, they went from regional to national recruiting the last 5-6 years....but the downside of that is they aren't dancing with the ones that brung them. I try to point this out as much as possible.

OUR (Carolina's) real issue is....WE didn't get the top instate guys last year, and we didn't get them this year. We also weren't 3rd or 4th best in NC which is another region/state I think we have to mine hard. We always have to pull out of GA too. So Beamer and company need to notch it up big time in state.

Last edited:
This is BS. Clemson doesn't WANT any "top" SC players...they've shown that over the past 5-6 years in recruiting. This is first year they've actually taken multiple top 5 in state guys. They've turned their back on the kids in state for the most part.
Yes, they went from regional to national recruiting the last 5-6 years....but the downside of that is they aren't dancing with the ones that brung them. I try to point this out as much as possible.

OUR (Carolina's) real issue is....WE didn't get the top instate guys last year, and we didn't get them this year. We also weren't 3rd or 4th best in NC which is another region/state I think we have to mine hard. We always have to pull out of GA too. So Beamer and company need to notch it up big time in state.
Well, your argument does not hold water this year. Dabo may have disregarded instate talent in the past, but he damn sure cleaned up in 2022. Beamer is climbing an uphill battle. I think Beamer will get his as his tenure here grows. Not arguing, just my observations.

That sucks. Ideally every player in SC would grow up wanting to play with the Block C on their helmet, similar to how Nebraska has it

Losing out on several top 5 players to Clemson is to be expected as long as we are un competitive on the field against them each and every year.

What I hope doesn't happen, is some
Top 20 players that we didn't really recruit and could of had, end up being mis evaluated by us and help beat us and become all conference and NFL picks st some random school like Missouri.

Last edited:
One year removed from going 2-8 and firing the entire staff....that's the bottom of a steep hill.

Hope we saved some spots for a few more portals.

Well, your argument does not hold water this year. Dabo may have disregarded instate talent in the past, but he damn sure cleaned up in 2022. Beamer is climbing an uphill battle. I think Beamer will get his as his tenure here grows. Not arguing, just my observations.
He did but all of those kids weren’t their primary targets. They slow played some and flat didn’t offer others until they found out the guys they really wanted weren’t coming. Those guys still picked Clemson knowing that they were backup plans.

The only thing that is going to change this is success on the field and it isn’t just wins and losses. Out of the 21 guys we have committed 2/3 are defensive players. You aren’t going to attract a lot of offensive guys with the 115th ranked offense and until something gives there you aren’t going to see recruiting momentum pick up.

How many players from this state are good enough to recruit? Not that many to concentrate on.

Shane could have helped himself by not going out there and getting skunked like a Muschamp team in the last game. Just a thought.

Shane could have helped himself by not going out there and getting skunked like a Muschamp team in the last game. Just a thought.
Had nothing to do with the higher profile guys not returning calls.

That comes from winning a total of six games in two years. Those guys already had their minds made up.

Reactions: QC Cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT