ADVERTISEMENT

Well, are we every going to hear anything about Thornwell ?

jeff2001

Apr 5, 2003
I've heard over and over the suspension would be over by UGA ?

It's none of our business. We'll know the suspension is over when he suits up.
Well, I would say to that this is big time power 5 sports. Go play for Presbyterian, That team in orange walked off our court with a win. So I think the fans should know what happened

Reactions: Cock-Vader
Well, I would say to that this is big time power 5 sports. Go play for Presbyterian, That team in orange walked off our court with a win. So I think the fans should know what happened
If that would change the outcome, I'd be in there with you. We've already had that discussion so I'll be at quits on this one, Happy New Year to you and your family.

some of you fans are so naive...the only reason this is being kept quiet is to protect the Administration from the wrath of the fans...in other words they knew how much this would hurt the season...they want everybody mad at Thornwell and not their draconian rules...Rules they lacked the common sense to waive..If this were an academic issue or an NCAA issue the truth would have leaked weeks ago...This is that ole '2nd pot you miss 1/4 the season rule'..Our President and AD lack the guts to tell the fans they tanked the whole basketball season because Thornwell failed his second pot test...This stinks to high hell...Doing this kind of damage to the growth of the program due to a silly draconian protocol is unthinkable to me...Yes ST broke a rule and should be punished..But 6 games is waaay over the top...This punishes teamates and the fans...There is not one other power 5 school that would do this...That's why we will not be told anything official

Reactions: 92Pony
As to why someone is suspended, I agree.

However, barring last minute injuries, I think a fan has a right to know who is eligible to play BEFORE that fan purchases four tickets and drives 100 miles to attend a game.
Very well stated. That would be the most equitable thing for the school to do. It probably falls somewhat short of a fan's right. There's seldom a game played in which someone is unable to participate for medical, academic, personal, or disciplinary reasons. People come anyway. The school appreciates your money regardless.

It's absurd. If I don't hear something soon myself, I know I won't be going to anymore games this season. I think this is Bullschidt.

Reactions: lawcalcock
None of our business to give anymore money.. I talked to Dodie Anderson about it at a restaurant. She's about done giving millions and the BS that goes on

If it was t Thornwell it would be losing 3 straight to uga or something else.

some of you fans are so naive...the only reason this is being kept quiet is to protect the Administration from the wrath of the fans...in other words they knew how much this would hurt the season...they want everybody mad at Thornwell and not their draconian rules...Rules they lacked the common sense to waive..If this were an academic issue or an NCAA issue the truth would have leaked weeks ago...This is that ole '2nd pot you miss 1/4 the season rule'..Our President and AD lack the guts to tell the fans they tanked the whole basketball season because Thornwell failed his second pot test...This stinks to high hell...Doing this kind of damage to the growth of the program due to a silly draconian protocol is unthinkable to me...Yes ST broke a rule and should be punished..But 6 games is waaay over the top...This punishes teamates and the fans...There is not one other power 5 school that would do this...That's why we will not be told anything official
You have no idea what you are talking about. There isn't a shred of truth in your post. If anything, the opposite is true. The admin is going overboard to help a young man that has more support amongst them than most. This is a classic example of real leaders being willing to "interpret" a certain situation and not be bound by "draconian protocol". Lay off our admin when you have no idea what the truth is and if you think Pres Pastides and Ray Tanner lack guts.... that level of ignorance speaks for itself.
If this was any other player at almost any other school he would be gone and there are players no longer with the team for situations that would be considered less grevious. Period.

None of our business to give anymore money.. I talked to Dodie Anderson about it at a restaurant. She's about done giving millions and the BS that goes on

Dodie Anderson who has given millions of dollars in the past through all the trials and tribulations, drugs, steroids, cheating, missue of funds, arrest of student athletes on felony charges within the USC athletic program is now , all of a sudden going to stop donating because in 2016 a guard on the basketball team made a mistake

If she never gives another dime to USC, it aint because of a basketball players 6 game suspension ...get real!!

You have no idea what you are talking about. There isn't a shred of truth in your post. If anything, the opposite is true. The admin is going overboard to help a young man that has more support amongst them than most. This is a classic example of real leaders being willing to "interpret" a certain situation and not be bound by "draconian protocol". Lay off our admin when you have no idea what the truth is and if you think Pres Pastides and Ray Tanner lack guts.... that level of ignorance speaks for itself.
If this was any other player at almost any other school he would be gone and there are players no longer with the team for situations that would be considered less grevious. Period.

If you know so much, why not tell us what the violation is?? Your claim is full of crap...Frank Martin himself said the violation was "nothing serious"...So maybe you should write him and suggest he doesn't know what he is talking about...Any idiot knows a star player has to commit a very serious infraction to get booted from a power5 program...No i don't know what happened...I know what the University has said and has not said...I guess you know more...So man up and spill or stop pretending because you don't want fans speaking the truth about how shabby this thing has been handled by our Administration..Obviously something is being hidden..If it's nothing serious as CFM said, they certainly are not protecting the player...My deductions could be wrong...I don't know...But it's certainly logical considering the legal citation back in May

Reactions: 92Pony
Wondering if we can have Don Henley's Dirty Laundry play whenever a thread about Thornwell is viewed?

Go Gamecocks!

Tanner is the one holding Thornwell out. Martin let the fans know that last week for a reason.

Suffice to say that Martin ain't happy.

If this is an old draconian rule, then it's fair to say that ST knew of it, and yet he still made the decision to break it. Life is about choices - in this case both on and off the court. At the end of the day, our university should offer more than just a good basketball team or athletic program. As an alumn, USC helped me become a man. What message does it send to ST if we keep slapping him on the wrist because some fans (who are being just as selfish as he was) want to win some basketball games?

Hopefully, ST will learn from this. Not only has it cost himself and his team, but it could cost him a chance to continue playing basketball. But if he wasn't punished, what else could be at risk?

Reactions: classof95#
If this is an old draconian rule, then it's fair to say that ST knew of it, and yet he still made the decision to break it. Life is about choices - in this case both on and off the court. At the end of the day, our university should offer more than just a good basketball team or athletic program. As an alumn, USC helped me become a man. What message does it send to ST if we keep slapping him on the wrist because some fans (who are being just as selfish as he was) want to win some basketball games?

Hopefully, ST will learn from this. Not only has it cost himself and his team, but it could cost him a chance to continue playing basketball. But if he wasn't punished, what else could be at risk?
Who said he shouldn't be punished. The comments are that the punishment should fit the crime and it is hard to believe he did something that warrants a 5-6 game suspension but apparently no other sanctions.

My problem is the conflicting messages. "The infraction is nothing serious." Suspension lasted six games. That screams moderately serious to me.

Reactions: whythis28
This is starting to smell like Hyman's feud with Garcia.

Does this mean Mrs. Hyman will teach Sindarius manners?
Does this mean we won't take the band to the NIT this year?
Does Frank Martin have a "warchest of credibility" on these matters?
What would Darin Horn do?

Some posters maybe sad he is back... they seem to like to wallow in misery

My problem is the conflicting messages. "The infraction is nothing serious." Suspension lasted six games. That screams moderately serious to me.

Exactly the point....3 resume games lost due to "nothing serious"... Is our Administration committed to winning...there is still no word on what "nothing serious" was..I know it's none of our business...But it is our business to know if our Administration believes protocol is more important than winning...If i am not mistaken this was STs first suspension..

If you know so much, why not tell us what the violation is?? Your claim is full of crap...Frank Martin himself said the violation was "nothing serious"...So maybe you should write him and suggest he doesn't know what he is talking about...Any idiot knows a star player has to commit a very serious infraction to get booted from a power5 program...No i don't know what happened...I know what the University has said and has not said...I guess you know more...So man up and spill or stop pretending because you don't want fans speaking the truth about how shabby this thing has been handled by our Administration..Obviously something is being hidden..If it's nothing serious as CFM said, they certainly are not protecting the player...My deductions could be wrong...I don't know...But it's certainly logical considering the legal citation back in May
Well what do you know? You didn't happen to catch Frank's comments today, did you?
A few highlights......
"I (not anyone else) hate to have to suspend a kid". -the addition is mine.
"Sin made mistakes. I (not anyone else) trust him, and if I (not anyone else) didn't he would be gone. -additions mine again
"Sin must realize in 6 months he is out in the real world with no Frank or Ray Tanner to protect him".

Hmmmm.

Well what do you know? You didn't happen to catch Frank's comments today, did you?
A few highlights......
"I (not anyone else) hate to have to suspend a kid". -the addition is mine.
"Sin made mistakes. I (not anyone else) trust him, and if I (not anyone else) didn't he would be gone. -additions mine again
"Sin must realize in 6 months he is out in the real world with no Frank or Ray Tanner to protect him".

Hmmmm.

If that is indeed the case, CFM could have said that a month ago rather than the "it's nothing serious" crap...My guess is today is company line time...But it's obvious something troubled Frank about this issue a month ago

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT