ADVERTISEMENT

What’s your favorite “underrated” movie?

Didn't American History X get some awards? I wouldn't call an award-winning movie underrated.
It might have. I don't think he won it, but Edward Norton absolutely deserved Best Actor for it.

But I guess I was thinking in terms of being underrated bythe general populace. There are lots indie as well as "Oscar bait" movies that hardly anyone watches.

Reactions: bayrooster
‘The Town’ with Affleck

‘Once’ with Glen Hansgard of The Frames. A bit obscure, but a nice little international movie. 97% on Rotten.

‘V for Vendetta’ with Hugo Weaving. Government conspiracy theorists would love it so it seems to fit the times. The mask he wore was the predecessor to the iconography that is in the global hit ‘Money Heist’ on Netflix.

‘The Town’ with Affleck

‘Once’ with Glen Hansgard of The Frames. A bit obscure, but a nice little international movie. 97% on Rotten.

‘V for Vendetta’ with Hugo Weaving. Government conspiracy theorists would love it so it seems to fit the times. The mask he wore was the predecessor to the iconography that is in the global hit ‘Money Heist’ on Netflix.
The Accountant with Affleck was really good too.

Two underrateds I haven't seen mentioned:

Defending Your Life (1991)
Albert Brooks, Meryl Streep, Rip Torn
"When you use more than 5 percent of your brain, you don't want to be on Earth; believe me."

Captain Ron (1992)
Kurt Russell, Martin Short, Mary Kay Place
"He said GORilla! Not GUERilla! GOR! GUER! HUGE difference!"

The Apostle is a good one as is anything with Duvall. Or Newman. How about Aomebody Up There Likes Me or Cool Hand Luke?

I thought of this after watching Dazed and Confused last night on Paramount channel. It is not terribly widely known but most people I know that have watched it like it. Absolutely pointless movie but I think is great.
hardly recognize Ben Affleck in it and Matthew McCougnehey (sp?) is great in it.
True Romance
It starred Christian Slater, had some great assist roles by Christopher Walken, and the scene with him and Dennis Hopper is one of the best acted scenes in cinema IMO. Brad Pitt does a great job as the stoner roommate… Tarantino wrote it… Just an absolute ultra violence classic.

And Layer Cake and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Rock N Rolla.
I watched Layer Cake recently at the suggestion of my roommate. It did not disappoint! I could not believe I had not seen this film…

True Romance
It starred Christian Slater, had some great assist roles by Christopher Walken, and the scene with him and Dennis Hopper is one of the best acted scenes in cinema IMO. Brad Pitt does a great job as the stoner roommate… Tarantino wrote it… Just an absolute ultra violence classic.
"It ain't white boy day, is it?" Drexl Spivey

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
True Romance

"You're an eggplant. You're a cantaloupe!" Classic! Some of the best scripting I've ever seen especially when Hopper realizes his fate and gives Walken a history lesson on the Scicilians. Incredible. Also the breakout role for James Gandolfini.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT