ADVERTISEMENT

What Beamer needs on this staff (serious post. Not bashing.)

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
Initially I was glad that Beamer did not just go to usual route of hiring a bunch of retread SEC coaches. However, while I am not in the favor of firing him at the end of this year, It does appear he’s in a bit over his head. I think he needs to look for some veteran, seasoned SEC guys to add to the staff. He needs to do what some young coaches do, which is hire a veteran guy to give him some tutelage. He does not need to revamp the entire staff, but just look for one or two older, veteran guys who can give the staff some wisdom of experience.

Why would they want or need to come work for him though? That’s the problem.
That I don’t know. Even if you get a couple guys on board as analysts. The staff just needs a little bit of… Teaching I guess…I don’t know.

First thing I’d recommend at this point: when this season ends, Beamer needs to go out and hire an OC. He isn’t going to get a successful P5 OC to come to Columbia. He needs to find someone at the Group of 5 or lower who has at least 3 years of offensive success.

Disagree, Satterfield is calling what he can. When the oline is inconsistent it limits you on your play call. The adjustment he made at the half was brilliant and most didn't even see it. But carolina went to a modern day triple option out the gun/pistol. This opened up the off tackle runs for Harris and the swing pass was nasty and gave UT fits. The problem is Doty doesn't scare anyone with his legs. But I loved this adjustment he made as the triple option is used when you don't have a very big line so you use speed over size.

Last edited:
Disagree, Satterfield is calling what he can. When the oline is inconsistent it limits on you on your play call. The adjustment he made at the half was brilliant and most didn't even see it. But carolina went to a modern day triple option out the gun/pistol. This opened up the off tackle runs for Harris and the swing pass was nasty and gave UT fits. The problem is Doty doesn't scare anyone with his legs. But I loved this adjustment he made as the triple option is used when you don't have a very big line so you use speed over size.

It took 5 1/2 games?

First thing I’d recommend at this point: when this season ends, Beamer needs to go out and hire an OC. He isn’t going to get a successful P5 OC to come to Columbia. He needs to find someone at the Group of 5 or lower who has at least 3 years of offensive success.
That’s exactly what he needs to do.

He just need at least one guy on the staff who’s been around the block or time or two and knows what he’s doing.

Initially I was glad that Beamer did not just go to usual route of hiring a bunch of retread SEC coaches. However, while I am not in the favor of firing him at the end of this year, It does appear he’s in a bit over his head. I think he needs to look for some veteran, seasoned SEC guys to add to the staff. He needs to do what some young coaches do, which is hire a veteran guy to give him some tutelage. He does not need to revamp the entire staff, but just look for one or two older, veteran guys who can give the staff some wisdom of experience.
This was a recipe for disaster from the jump. The lack of big time experience is being exposed in front of our eyes. Our 3 most important coaches have nothing on their resume that screams ready for big boy football.

Beamer- Never called plays, no HC experience, couldn’t get the ODU job.

Satterfield: Hasn’t called ball plays in nearly 5 years and that was as HC for a 1-10 Tenn Tech disaster.

Clayton White: Has only been a DC at WKU, primarily a ST/DB coach prior to that. He has potential but will need to make adjustments as SEC OCs see more tape on his SEC defenses. The longer the season goes, the more risk we have his defense will be exposed.

I think Lembo is supposed to be the adult in the room, so to speak. You're thinking we need one or two more? Maybe someone to help with the offense?

This was a recipe for disaster from the jump. The lack of big time experience is being exposed in front of our eyes. Our 3 most important coaches have nothing on their resume that screams ready for big boy football.

Satterfield: Hasn’t called ball plays in nearly 5 years and that was as HC for a 1-10 Tenn Tech disaster.

Clayton White: Has only been a DC at WKU, primarily a ST/DB coach prior to that. He has potential but will need to make adjustments as SEC OCs see more tape on his SEC defenses. The longer the season goes, the more risk we have his defense will be exposed.
I mean what could go wrong lol

Part of the problem is that hiring an unproven HC is likely to lead to few takers at OC and DC. The more unproven the HC is the probability of good coordinator hires is even less. We are paying a price for stupidity.

As a longtime fan, can't remember ever going through a season hoping that each game had been a learning experience for the coaching staff moreso than a learning experience for the players. Weird being in the SEC and feeling that way.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Pete Lembo is the guy he should lean on the most because he has experience leading teams. I don’t think Beamer will go the route of trusting to much in him though, because he believes he’s made the right decisions with his coordinators. He is pointing out deficiencies on the team that he and his coaches have failed to improve. He needs to admit to himself that they have to get better as a staff. He needs to build confidence and motivate them to make the player’s believe in themselves. If he can do that he’s gonna be successful no matter where who he coach.

This is everything many of us were worried about, and have said over and over.

Beamer's claim to head coaching fame is to be a CEO coach. He is going to have to make some
CEO decisions in the off season around OC and OL coach. If he does not make changes here is the off season and results are not much better next year, I am off of the Shane train.

Beat me to it.
Disagree, Satterfield is calling what he can. When the oline is inconsistent it limits you on your play call. The adjustment he made at the half was brilliant and most didn't even see it. But carolina went to a modern day triple option out the gun/pistol. This opened up the off tackle runs for Harris and the swing pass was nasty and gave UT fits. The problem is Doty doesn't scare anyone with his legs. But I loved this adjustment he made as the triple option is used when you don't have a very big line so you use speed over size.

It took 5 1/2 games?

Beamer's claim to head coaching fame is to be a CEO coach. He is going to have to make some
CEO decisions in the off season around OC and OL coach. If he does not make changes here is the off season and results are not much better next year, I am off of the Shane train.
I didn’t know there were any passengers still left on the Shane Train. It has gone off the rails.

Reactions: alaskagamecock
Shouldn’t he have made that adjustment sooner? It doesn’t matter what adjustments you make when you’re down 38-0 or whatever it was, the game had been decided.

Reactions: Brace1 and SOSUSC
I don't 🤔 you can seriously consider replacing him unless you fire Tanner, then all bets are off the table. Beamer will get at least 3 years is my guess but he better be willing to fire some assistants in the off-season.

You can’t do it when you lack the skill players to run that offense. Who on our team besides Bell, Vann and JuJu?
Tennessee had almost half the team transfer last year . Just stop. Through first five games we had one rushing TD with a load of backs returning and linemen what the heck

Reactions: SOSUSC
Tennessee had almost half the team transfer last year . Just stop. Through first five games we had one rushing TD with a load of backs returning and linemen what the heck
Ok, name our offensive players that would start on Tennessee’s team, or any SEC team not named Vanderbilt.

Ok, name our offensive players that would start on Tennessee’s team, or any SEC team not named Vanderbilt.
Harris for sure coming off of last year. That’s my point they have been coached down and Tennessee has been coached up Every year we say that we have talent issues and every year we have players get drafted. You only get drafted if you got talent

Harris for sure coming off of last year. That’s my point they have been coached down and Tennessee has been coached up Every year we say that we have talent issues and every year we have players get drafted. You only get drafted if you got talent
He doesn’t look like the same player this year, his injury must have been more serious than first reported

Trust me, neither of hi coordinators, nor I doubt most of his assistants were his first choices. Probably not 2nd, or 3rd, choices. But no coach with a place on a good staff was/is going to come to USC and take a chance on Beamer succeeding as a head coach. So you have what you have. Reminds me of the heady days when Sparky Woods brought his in over their heads staff with him from App St

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT