ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to the Carolina Basketball program???

You see that Georgia team last year make that amazing tourney run?
Or Syracuse with Carmelo. Hakim Warrick was the only other guy on that team to play in the NBA. Davidson's tourney runs with Steph Curry, Wally Sczerbiak and Miami (OH), Big Country w OK St., Tim Duncan took Dave Odom to a final 4 ... Dave Odom.
I'm sure there are other examples, but these are the ones I remember well from my youth. You get a big time talent, and just surround them w solid D1 guys (even ones with no NBA hopes), and you can do some real damage.

Or Syracuse with Carmelo. Hakim Warrick was the only other guy on that team to play in the NBA. Davidson's tourney runs with Steph Curry, Wally Sczerbiak and Miami (OH), Big Country w OK St., Tim Duncan took Dave Odom to a final 4 ... Dave Odom.
I'm sure there are other examples, but these are the ones I remember well from my youth. You get a big time talent, and just surround them w solid D1 guys (even ones with no NBA hopes), and you can do some real damage.
Not to keep hammering the point, but just remembered our own Frank Martin when he landed Michael Beasley at K-State.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
This attitude perpetuates and probably even is at the root cause of our (current) mediocrity in basketball and in football, because it doesn't demand change or excellence.

Many here remember the 70s and mid to late 1990s when South Carolina was very good in basketball. It's happened before and it can happen again. We have a great basketball facility and resources to support the program, but the latter years of Odom and the hiring or Darrin Horn realllllly set us back.

Our coaching hire will be very important to the success of the program, along with fan support. But it CAN be done.

Wish I could agree. We are what we are and what we’ve always been with the exception of early McGuire. Until we figure out a way to get the players in here, the name of the coach will be irrelevant.

Reactions: caughtlookin
Those teams also had elite long-standing coaches. And Tim Duncan is possibly the best forward of all time.

Reactions: caughtlookin
Those teams also had elite long-standing coaches. And Tim Duncan is possibly the best forward of all time.
I'm too lazy to go look exactly when each of those years were and who coached at the schools, but as a pretty big hoops fan, the only ones I can name from that bunch are Boeheim and Odom. I know for damn sure Odom isn't elite.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Those teams all had really good players around them many of those teams are making the tourney without those stars

I'm too lazy to go look exactly when each of those years were and who coached at the schools, but as a pretty big hoops fan, the only ones I can name from that bunch are Boeheim and Odom. I know for damn sure Odom isn't elite.

Eddie Sutton and Bob Mckillop.

No Odoms not elite, but there’s only one Tim Duncan.

Reactions: wentzel25
Seems like whenever Beasley talks about recruiting he brings up Frank. But I guess you know more than him
Well two things, A- Huggins brought him to K State, via hiring Hill. B- Martin was the only coach he played for at K State.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I always look back at how disrespectful we treated McGuire at the end. Very disrespectful. I remember talking to All McGuire on an elevator at the old Carolina Inn. He was in town for a broadcast.

He didn't like that USC "was monkeying with Frank's contract". Word spread fast and we would spend the next 40 years in hoops purgatory.

We had alienated folks like Al McGuire but more importantly we alienated all of Frank's players. Right then we had lost continuity. Sons of McGuire players wouldn't give us a whiff (Dunleavy, Gregor and others).

Think if we had shown McGuire some respect instead of putting out vicious rumors about him. We would have had some continuity and influence. Instead we ended up with what I consider the symbol of USC hoops decline. Getting dominated by Clemson of all teams. A team we had a commanding series advantage over; once won 11 in a row against. Since that time they have dominated us.

Well, that's what I think happened TO USC hoops. We never recovered.
Thank you. This is what Dave Odom tried to recover for us by celebrating 100 years of men's hoops. He successfully brought many of McGuire's troops back to campus.

Go further back. Bill Bradley at Princeton.

Reactions: wentzel25
This attitude perpetuates and probably even is at the root cause of our (current) mediocrity in basketball and in football, because it doesn't demand change or excellence.

Many here remember the 70s and mid to late 1990s when South Carolina was very good in basketball. It's happened before and it can happen again. We have a great basketball facility and resources to support the program, but the latter years of Odom and the hiring or Darrin Horn realllllly set us back.

Our coaching hire will be very important to the success of the program, along with fan support. But it CAN be done.
Agreed. Look no further than Dawn Staley as an example.

I
That's what I heard as well. What we needed was a smooth transition from McGuire to Cremins. Oh, and we should have stayed in the ACC.

I get that but was there to do? We had not been to the tournament in something like six years and it was not getting any better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT