ADVERTISEMENT

What was / is your favorite Sitcom of all time? I know this is going to be

Why? All in the Family made Archie look like a fool for his racially insensitive beliefs. (Carroll O’Connor was actually quite liberal in real life)

my favorite episode was when Archie went on tv to argue for handing out pistols to everyone when they got on a plane.
The wildest episode to me was when George Jeffersons' son brings home his biracial fiance and her white father and black mother. Hilarious and one of those episodes where they really pushed the boundaries....

Reactions: Brace1
The wildest episode to me was when George Jeffersons' son brings home his biracial fiance and her white father and black mother. Hilarious and one of those episodes where they really pushed the boundaries....

Agree because George and Archie were the same guy and they didn’t realize it.

I revise my earlier statement. There was an episode (Everyone Tells The Truth) where Archie, Edith, Mike, and Gloria we’re sitting at Kelsey’s bar. Both Archie and Mike tell radically different stories regarding a repairman and his helper coming to Archie’s house to do some work on the refrigerator.

in Archie’s telling, Archie is super nice and the repair man’s helper was a 60s radical who was threatening, and disrespectful. In Mike’s telling, the helper was an Uncle Tom and Archie was a jerk.

The Late actor Ron Glass steals this episode in my opinion.

Edith finally gets to tell her version, which seems to be the accurate one. A brilliantly funny episode that also sheds some real life truth about how people view other people through their own prejudices.

Good Times was one of my favorites that I haven’t seen mentioned. It was Dynomite!
Two Guys a Girl and a Pizza place if you like Ryan Reynolds.
If you have AppleTV check out Mythic Quest it is my current favorite.

1. Married with Children
2. Sanford and Son
3. The Jefferson’s
4. King of the Hill (I guess this qualifies)
5. Fresh Prince

Married with Children takes the cake for me . Al reminds me of the uncle that everybody has that peaked as a senior in high school . Peggy was the OG “cougar”. Bud reminded me of .. well me . And Kelly ... any teenage boy that was not totally floored by Kelly Bundy ?!!! I remember thinking she was so smoking and then when I learned that In real life Christina Applegate was like the valedictorian of her high school and applying to Ivy League schools ... kinda ruined it . Lol. Like learning wrestling was fake as a kid .

Ok this is a stretch as a sitcom but did anybody watch Californication on Showtime . First off , it is probably the raunchiest show to ever be put on television but I can’t ever remember laughing so hard watching anything . David Duchovony is just ridiculously funny in that show . Again , not for the squeamish but it’s freaking hilarious . Especially the season with Kathleen Turner in it .

Reactions: importcock
M*A*S*H
Married With Children
My Name Is Earl (i complain they didn't end it about once a week)
Night Court
The Office
Chico and the Man
Sanford and Son
Dont know if Flip Wilson counts but dang that was a great variety show
Big Bang Theory

think Night Court was underrated. Markie Post. Yum

Cheers is my all time favorite and it's not even close.

Others:
Seinfeld
The Honeymooners
Always Sunny In Philadelphia
WKRP in Cincinnati
The Office
30 Rock
Curb Your Enthusiasm

Married with Children takes the cake for me . Al reminds me of the uncle that everybody has that peaked as a senior in high school . Peggy was the OG “cougar”. Bud reminded me of .. well me . And Kelly ... any teenage boy that was not totally floored by Kelly Bundy ?!!! I remember thinking she was so smoking and then when I learned that In real life Christina Applegate was like the valedictorian of her high school and applying to Ivy League schools ... kinda ruined it . Lol. Like learning wrestling was fake as a kid .
giphy.gif

My favorite is The Andy Griffith Show.

I’ve read nearly every book about the show, as well as nearly every book written by actors that appeared regularly on the show, been to the Andy Griffith Museum several times, have an original Playbill of Andy’s first broadway show, have approximately 20 pictures of backstage scenes from the show hanging in my garage, and have communicated personally several times (including recently) with one of Don Knotts’ brothers in law pertaining to some personal details which was very insightful.

I was born just after the show went off the air. My youngest child is now a big fan. She can recite lines and often watches it with me each night.
Rollerdude, are you actually John Boy, from the John Boy and Billy Show? If not, you should call in and compete against him in an Andy Griffith trivia contest.

Reactions: Rollerdude123
This is a nearly impossible question to answer. There was a myriad of high quality sit-coms from the 1970s and 1980s when I was a regular viewer. The one sit-com that I would consider to be my favorite was "Night Court." The cast was diverse and uber talented. Also, the story lines were the wackiest in the history of television!!!

Not even close. All in the Family is #1, with Sanford & Son coming in 2nd. I might vote #3 as The Jeffersons and #4 as I love Lucy.
I guess that some of the posters around here will call me a racist because of my love for Archie and Edith. My girls love to watch that show. Some of those episodes were ground breaking. If you have ever seen the episode where George Jefferson's son brings home his biracial fiance, along with her white father and black mother, it is one of the funniest things I have ever seen, particularly when George Jefferson has a conversation with Archie Bunker at the punch bowl. They would not dare to show that today. The snowflakes would melt down.....
Don’t worry about being called racist for liking All in the Family. I’m a black male and I love that show, everybody in my family used to watch it back in the 70’s and we laughed our tails off! Archie Bunker was a mess, along with George Jefferson and the thing is, I knew white and black men who was like both of those guys in real life. I grew up with white kids back in the 70s, So I spent a lot of time at my friends houses, and they did at mine; So their was some racist words that flew on both sides! The funny thing though, is every white family who’s child was a friend of mine treated me like I was one of their own, and my family treated my white friends the same way! I miss those days.

Finally, I've ran across someone else that has watched that show! You're the only one. I don't know if you ever watched Absolutely Fabulous, but Jennifer Saunders from AbFab was on an episode of The Young Ones. She played the girlfriend of one of them.
I have seen a couple of episodes of Absolutely fabulous, but dont remember much about it. I will have to revisit it. I had all the Young Ones episodes on VHS at one time....One of the best shows on TV, although a lot of Americans might not quite get some of the humor....

I revise my earlier statement. There was an episode (Everyone Tells The Truth) where Archie, Edith, Mike, and Gloria we’re sitting at Kelsey’s bar. Both Archie and Mike tell radically different stories regarding a repairman and his helper coming to Archie’s house to do some work on the refrigerator.

in Archie’s telling, Archie is super nice and the repair man’s helper was a 60s radical who was threatening, and disrespectful. In Mike’s telling, the helper was an Uncle Tom and Archie was a jerk.

Edith finally gets to tell her version, which seems to be the accurate one. A brilliantly funny episode that also sheds some real life truth about how people view other people through their own prejudices.

Thanks Roller. I think I have seen this one but will be rewatching it tonight. See, liberals and conservatives can agree occasionally!

Three’s company
The Jeffersons
Alice
What’s Happening
One day at a time
Sanford and Son
All in the Family
Good Times
The Andy Griffith Show
Gilligan's Island
The facts of life
King of Queens
The Neighborhood (New Show)
Mom (Active today)
Young Sheldon (New Show)
There’s a few more out there I’m sure. But these are the ones I would be willing to sit down and watch reruns.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky

I went ahead and watched that one Roller. Thanks for the post. I had seen parts of that but dont think I have ever seen the whole thing....

It’s not fair to bring Jackie up.......half the rednecks on here were still packed in their parents loins.

Laughing Watch it mister, I resemble that remark.

Used to watch it mainly in high school on WGN. I don't know if everyone knows or not but that show was filmed completely live. No second takes. No overdubs. Gleason didn't even want the shows to be fully rehearsed. You could really tell when they started going off script and ad libbing with each other. That approach created some really incredible spontaneous moments.

Seinfeld
Everybody Loves Raymond
MASH
All in The Family
Andy Griffith
Jackie Gleason & The Honeymooners
My Name is Earl

My all time favorite is Andy Griffith, Just great small town characters and humor. Characters that made you care about them, and share in their lives. Next would be Frasier, another great bunch of characters. Others would be Two and a Half Men, Mash, All in the Family, Cheers, Sienfeld, Green Acres, Leave It to Beaver.............

The Office and The Andy Griffith Show are the two best new and old school comedies IMO. Non-Comedy, between The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad. “Stranger Things” is one that I think has potential to be an all time great. But they are only 3 seasons in.

All four of those shows I binge watch over and over. There aren’t many other shows that can keep me drawn in to stick around for the entire series.

If I had to pick over all.... BREAKING BAD, but not by much.

Last edited:
Finally, I've ran across someone else that has watched that show! You're the only one. I don't know if you ever watched Absolutely Fabulous, but Jennifer Saunders from AbFab was on an episode of The Young Ones. She played the girlfriend of one of them.

My wife bought me the complete series on DVD. She hates the show but bought it anyway cause I love it.

I'm a fan of British comedy. Loved Dads Army and Fawlty Towers too.

Doc Martin is great. Not sure ot qualifies as sitcom but funny nonetheless.

Reactions: Bad seed
a generalization thing but it will be fun to see the differences in likes for TV Sitcoms in different generations.

Going way back I have to start with

Father Knows Best
Leave it to Beaver
moving forward in no particular order
Sanford and Son
All in the Family
Frazier
Home Improvement
Goldbergs
Schooled
Friends

I'm leaving out a lot but I feel sure many of you will add a lot to the list.

Seinfeld was my best, followed closely by Cheers.

A lot good ones over the years, but The Andy Griffith Show is my favorite.

Some mentioned MASH. I always liked the Colonel Potter episodes more than the Colonel Blake ones.

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95

I did not like Andy Griffin. I hate to admit it but their depictions of southerners being hayseeds did not allow me to enjoy it. Just me I guess.

I did not like Andy Griffin. I hate to admit it but their depictions of southerners being hayseeds did not allow me to enjoy it. Just me I guess.

The only hayseeds were gomer, goober and Ernest T- and they were depicted as good at heart.

the ones depicted with less than redeeming qualities were the out of town big city folks. They were always too smart for their own good.

and don’t forget, most of that cast was made up of southern or small town midwestern types: Andy- North Carolina, Don Knotts- West Virginia, George Lindsey- Alabama, , Jim Nabors- Alabama, Francis Bavier- Borrn In Manhattan but retired to Siler City, NC, Betty Lynn- Missouri, Aneta Coursant- Kansas

Last edited:
I don't think I have one all-time favorite, but some of the contenders would be:

Andy Griffith is hard to beat for longevity. Even my 13 year old watches it on his own.
Seinfeld
King of Queens
Everybody Loves Raymond
Cheers
Frasier
The Goldbergs
The Middle
Arrested Development
The Office
Parks & Rec

Ah! Raymond, and The Middle!!

I swear, The Middle, IS our family!!!! Our son is way too much like Axel, and our daughter a lot like Sue.

Heck, almost two years ago we moved, and now we even live across from a family of Donahues!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT