ADVERTISEMENT

Whats your take on this Clemson fan reasoning for saturday?

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
Was talking with a fan the other day and his response to why the game went the way it did was because all week long Clemson and their players had heard about how they would kill Carolina and it would not even be a game at all. For that reason, they came to the game and didnt even play very hard because they didnt think they had to and by the time they realized we were playing good, they decided to shut it down and took over, hence only 2 scores in 2nd half.
Im not sure I buy that but if it helps them sleep better at night then so be it

Was talking with a fan the other day and his response to why the game went the way it did was because all week long Clemson and their players had heard about how they would kill Carolina and it would not even be a game at all. For that reason, they came to the game and didnt even play very hard because they didnt think they had to and by the time they realized we were playing good, they decided to shut it down and took over, hence only 2 scores in 2nd half.
BS, as usual.

You mean the worlds greatest defense took the night off? That's not what worlds greatest defenses do! Can't take games off in the NFL, guess their fat d-lineman aren't first round material if they admit to mailing it in during the biggest game of the regular season.

We walked down the field on the first drive and shocked the &#^ out of them ( first time all year for them) and they really never stopped us after that a team doesn't give up 35 freaking points after deciding to shut us down. When did the shut down start? They never imagined they'd have to win in a shootout.

Reactions: roosterbell
I was at that chit hole Saturday night keeping a 45 yard lower bowl seat away from a TATER so when i tell you they were pissed that we scored 35 (49, leaving 2 TD’s on field) please believe me. i am not show boating those words, they were pissed. One said that was the worst defense quempsin put on a field in their 55 year life span. I said, your memory is selective and short.
Little chits were damn near crying like kids

That’s a giant load of BS. All Carolina did was watch film and identify 2 weaknesses of our defense. 1) we are weak over the middle. This makes sense when you realize they practice all week against an offense that doesn’t utilize (nor needs to) the middle that much. 2) our defense always seems to be making last minute adjustments. I’ve been waiting all year for someone to take advantage of this. Carolina did this. I lost count of how many times our guys were running around making adjustments when USC snapped the ball.
Now, with this said, you guys may have done us a huge favor. One thing Venables typically does do is make adjustments when a weak point is leveraged in a game (see Pitt shovel pass to TE). If he does straighten the secondary out y’all can rest well knowing you played a part ;)

Last edited:
You have a serious deficiency at the safety position. Muse is awful. For a school that produced guys like Brian Dawkins, Muse might be the worst safety I've seen at Clemson in 30 years.

Reactions: ClemDent
You have a serious deficiency at the safety position. Muse is awful. For a school that produced guys like Brian Dawkins, Muse might be the worst safety I've seen at Clemson in 30 years.
Of all the comments I have ever read on this board I cannot understate how much I agree with yours. I nearly lost my voice yelling at Muse. He plays DB like Boulware played LB, always looking for the big hit, over pursuing the play, etc. He is ALWAYS out of position. I keep hoping he gets called for targeting (just wanting what’s best for the team).

Reactions: ecrumpton
I’ll use a Dabo saying from a few years back.
We didn’t lose. We just ran out of time.

Of all the comments I have ever read on this board I cannot understate how much I agree with yours. I nearly lost my voice yelling at Muse. He plays DB like Boulware played LB, always looking for the big hit, over pursuing the play, etc. He is ALWAYS out of position. I keep hoping he gets called for targeting (just wanting what’s best for the team).
He has ZERO coverage skills. We ran routes right by his face all night and he constantly went for the interception over playing coverage. There's no way BV can fix that in a week or a month. He's been playing like that all year and no one had taken advantage of it yet. Alabama runs the same routes with Jeudy so get ready to see more of the same unless you do some position switching.

That’s a giant load of BS. All Carolina did was watch film and identify 2 weaknesses of our defense. 1) we are week over the middle. This makes sense when you realize they practice all week against an offense that doesn’t utilize (nor needs to) the middle that much. 2) our defense always seems to be making last minute adjustments. I’ve been waiting all year for someone to take advantage of this. Carolina did this. I lost count of how many times our guys were running around making adjustments when USC snapped the ball.
Now, with this said, you guys may have done us a huge favor. One thing Venables typically does do is make adjustments when a weak point is leveraged in a game (see Pitt shovel pass to TE). If he does straighten the secondary out y’all can rest well knowing you played a part ;)
So Clemson doesn't watch film of it's opponents? If they did, they would have seen that Carolina uses the middle of the field. Why didn't Mandables plan for it?

He has ZERO coverage skills. We ran routes right by his face all night and he constantly went for the interception over playing coverage. There's no way BV can fix that in a week or a month. He's been playing like that all year and no one had taken advantage of it yet. Alabama runs the same routes with Jeudy so get ready to see more of the same unless you do some position switching.
Like I said, I keep waiting for a targeting call (obviously don’t want anyone to get hurt). That’s our only hope. But you’re spot on again. He always goes for the interception.

So Clemson doesn't watch film of it's opponents? If they did, they would have seen that Carolina uses the middle of the field. Why didn't Mandables plan for it?
I’m sure they did. Our guys didn’t execute. I think the DBs are also use to the DL getting more pressure. But Bentley did a nice job of getting the ball out fast.

I noticed he also shoved USC players a couple of times after the whistle without any provocation. No risk of physical harm but it was just stupid because it could have easily been called for 15.

Reactions: Judson1
a tater fan's 'reasoning?'

do not have a take...

don't give a rat's ass

go cocks!

42e8b99fd89b25eb256031505a091025--orange-bowl-wvu.jpg
That was the worst defense they have ever played! That's funny they really have short memories of having a word coined Clemsoning and Orange Bowl 2012 loss to West Virginia score 70 - 33.

Last edited:
Like I said, I keep waiting for a targeting call (obviously don’t want anyone to get hurt). That’s our only hope. But you’re spot on again. He always goes for the interception.
I'll be honest, I was very surprised how well we picked up your pressure 90% of the time. I know BV likes to blitz and when those didn't get home it left the middle wide open. We were able to take advantage of that somehow. We stupidly tried to block your DE's with a tightend a couple of times which led to the flood gates opening up. Glad we didn't continue to do that.

Reactions: Judson1
That’s a giant load of BS. All Carolina did was watch film and identify 2 weaknesses of our defense. 1) we are week over the middle. This makes sense when you realize they practice all week against an offense that doesn’t utilize (nor needs to) the middle that much. 2) our defense always seems to be making last minute adjustments. I’ve been waiting all year for someone to take advantage of this. Carolina did this. I lost count of how many times our guys were running around making adjustments when USC snapped the ball.
Agreed. You can believe every player on that field was playing hard, it’s rivalry week! Doesn’t matter if you are favored by 50 it’s one of the biggest games of the year.

I’m sure they did. Our guys didn’t execute. I think the DBs are also use to the DL getting more pressure. But Bentley did a nice job of getting the ball out fast.

The dynamic QB was the achilles heels of Saban's defenses for years.

For Brent Venables' D, it's the quarterback who can stand in the pocket and throw to a receiver (often wide open) down field.

iu

But you need a solid O line as well. Like you said, Venables will bring the pressure.

Lowered expectations are a great coping mechanism... Unrealistically high expectations are a proven path to disappointment... Both extremes are being demonstrated by the two fan bases. In reality both teams had their moments good and bad but the final outcome of this game never felt in question.

Reactions: Zann77
That’s a giant load of BS. All Carolina did was watch film and identify 2 weaknesses of our defense. 1) we are weak over the middle. This makes sense when you realize they practice all week against an offense that doesn’t utilize (nor needs to) the middle that much. 2) our defense always seems to be making last minute adjustments. I’ve been waiting all year for someone to take advantage of this. Carolina did this. I lost count of how many times our guys were running around making adjustments when USC snapped the ball.

This guy understands the game.......

“Everybody’s got such a high expectation for what our team should be. I was just happy to see our players be happy about playing a game and winning,” Saban said.

“It really, if you want to know the truth about it, pisses me off when I talk to people that have this expectation like they’re disappointed that we only won the game 14-13 and the way we played. That’s frustrating. You want to talk about something that’s frustrating? That’s frustrating to me, for our players, who play with a lot of heart in the game.”

Nick Sagan after a 1 point win at Arkansas.

It went that way due to the talent level on both teams. We have great OLinemen and WRs. They lack speed in their secondary. I don't know if that's because they are really slow or they're lazy because they don't play much competition. They're probably spoiled by their DLine getting constant pressure. Either way, they were outclassed by the WRs. They were two steps behind hour WRs all night. Jake was deadly accurate. BMac planned extremely well for their weak spots and the execution was there. Their D was good enough to get some stops. Ours wasn't.

I'm trying to be objective.

I thought the same. He plays that position like it's MLB. He looks like a guy who was converted from another position so he can get on the field.

And the other safeties kept getting caught in a matchup with a good WR. I guess that's because we have too many good WRs. The clemons D was slow getting up to the line and often out of alignment when we snapped the ball.

Last edited:
Vince Lombardi said that years ago.

Vince Lombardi said that years ago. What do you think about him?

Much more than I think about a coach who repeats the statement verbatim and doesn’t give credit to the original statesman.

I stopped reading after "I was talking to a fan".
As if they would know what the players were thinking at game time.

Some of this too is the lack of competition you face... raw speed can make up for a lack of discipline when you are playing Wake, Duke, and BC because you are just better than them. It gets into your muscle memory and it's hard to correct.

Reactions: ClemDent
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT