ADVERTISEMENT

When will Tanner be held accountable?

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
Way too many Gamecock fans continue to give him a free pass because he won two national titles. Stepping into the job he had zero experience and it shows. Being a successful coach and a nice guy aren't very high on the list of skills needed to be an AD in today's high finance, super competitive world of college athletics.

In case you aren't keeping track, USC lost all three major men's sports to Clemson this year. Two of those you could argue we had the better team and still lost. Football and baseball have now lost three straight. Thank goodness for USC women's teams who have had recent success. I believe women's basketball, soccer and golf have all recently won SEC regular season or tourney championships. Does anyone know the last time a Carolina men's team has won an SEC regular season, divisional or conference title? Not trying to be funny, i really can't remember.

Either the fanbase is ok with it or they are not. If we aren't ok with it, the AD has to go.

GO COCKS!!!

Its now clear our University is flat out just not committed to winning as much as other schools who win are. Its really that simple they need sweeping changes starting with the AD and Holbrook, then Muschamp and Martin need to have clear objectives that their job is on the line with specific criteria to remain at their position. You hold the standard until you find someone who can deliver then you will win. But that takes difficult actions and decisions. Or we can just continue to make excuses and keep losing.

Was 2 national championship worth sinking the ship? That's what's happening. Tanner is lost...he has not made one good hire. The Muschamp hire works, but there is nothing marquis about it. Results will determine whether that was a good hire. Martin? Also remains to be proven. He's turned a dumpster fire into a decent team, but we all want more than a decent team. Time to get some balls and make big decisions or get out!

Was 2 national championship worth sinking the ship? That's what's happening. Tanner is lost...he has not made one good hire. The Muschamp hire works, but there is nothing marquis about it. Results will determine whether that was a good hire. Martin? Also remains to be proven. He's turned a dumpster fire into a decent team, but we all want more than a decent team. Time to get some balls and make big decisions or get out!
Agree. The Muschamp hire may turn out to be a great hire....but it's not a hire that you wouldn't expect him to be able to make. IMO Martin has done enough to get at least another 2 years....I also say that knowing that is what many fans thought was our other choice wanted to get the program turned around (it wasn't the $$$ it was the length of the contract that was demanded that was the problem).

OK, I'm over my rage about today.
Thre's no doubt Tanner has some hard issues to deal with but right now this baseball team is NOT one of them. As much as it sucks to lose to the inbred from the northeast the season is still young and I refuse to give up on this group of players. They battle in spite of their less than adequate coaching they're receiving...which is where Tanner needs to be taking a hard look. I'm going to stick with the same attitude I always have. It's a long season and the goals are to win more series than you lose and make the NCAA tournament...and advance from there. No reason to throw in the towel when conference play hasn't even started. We have a very talented group of players...we always do. We can just about get any player we want. So it's obviously not a talent problem. If we don't finish in the top 3 in the conference and land a SR this season...which we still can accomplish...I believe we'll all know where the problem lies.
And if we don't it will be time for Tanner to make a decision. If he let's this drag on much longer we won't have the luxury of recruiting at the level we have now. Hell this weekend alone has probably taken a chip out of the solid advantage we've had.
I think it's a little overboard for people to be calling for Tanner's head. But it is definitely time for him to step up and start holding his coaches accountable or making moves to improve our programs to prove he is the right man for the job.

Its now clear our University is flat out just not committed to winning as much as other schools who win are. Its really that simple they need sweeping changes starting with the AD and Holbrook, then Muschamp and Martin need to have clear objectives that their job is on the line with specific criteria to remain at their position. You hold the standard until you find someone who can deliver then you will win. But that takes difficult actions and decisions. Or we can just continue to make excuses and keep losing.
That's well and good to set the expectations but it might be a little difficult to find anyone to tak the job. It's a fine line

Reactions: atl-cock
USC athletics in a gif:
Ly9tZWRpYS5paGVhcnQuY29tL2NjLWNvbW1vbi9tbGliLzIxMzUvMjAxNS8wMy9kZWZhdWx0L2RsZF8xXzBfMTQyNzIxNzU2OC5naWY=

I remember when Tanner was named as AD. I was telling a friend of mine I thought this was not a wise choice due to the fact he did not have enough experience on the administrative aspect in addition to how to go about raising funds, and that being a successful baseball coach did not bring the type of skill set required for this job

I got serious pushback and he repeated what many said on this board at the time of his hiring. "He's a good guy, and he knows how to win".
Well, those are correct statements. i don't begrudge Tanner as from all appearances he seems to be a decent person, but this job may be beyond his skill set

If you're going to have a temper tantrum, pointing fingers because you're disappointed in a baseball series, you might as well point it at the BOT. They hired Pastides, who hired Tanner.

Klemzun hired the Georgia Tech Athletic Director. They interviewed, or considered, 30 candidates. They hired someone with experience in athletics administration, associate athletics director experience, and athletics director experience. We did the same thing that LSU did several years ago, and we are in the same mess they got in. We are a much more prestigious university than Klemszun, and we should expect nothing but the best.

OK, I'm over my rage about today.
Thre's no doubt Tanner has some hard issues to deal with but right now this baseball team is NOT one of them. As much as it sucks to lose to the inbred from the northeast the season is still young and I refuse to give up on this group of players. They battle in spite of their less than adequate coaching they're receiving...which is where Tanner needs to be taking a hard look. I'm going to stick with the same attitude I always have. It's a long season and the goals are to win more series than you lose and make the NCAA tournament...and advance from there. No reason to throw in the towel when conference play hasn't even started. We have a very talented group of players...we always do. We can just about get any player we want. So it's obviously not a talent problem. If we don't finish in the top 3 in the conference and land a SR this season...which we still can accomplish...I believe we'll all know where the problem lies.
And if we don't it will be time for Tanner to make a decision. If he let's this drag on much longer we won't have the luxury of recruiting at the level we have now. Hell this weekend alone has probably taken a chip out of the solid advantage we've had.
I think it's a little overboard for people to be calling for Tanner's head. But it is definitely time for him to step up and start holding his coaches accountable or making moves to improve our programs to prove he is the right man for the job.

It's a long season and the goals are to win more series than you lose and make the NCAA tournament.

If your goal for South Carolina baseball is simply to win more series than we lose, you are part of the current problem. This program has fallen from one of the top 2-3 premier program in the entire nation to a 4th or 5th best team in our own conference. Its amazing that expectations among many of our fans have actually lowered since winning back-to-back national titles.

Reactions: cockyferg
Tanner I stand by my stance on him even before he was named AD. Great baseball coach but a horses butt I know him personally and lm sorry but he thinks way to highly of himself.

Tanner I stand by my stance on him even before he was named AD. Great baseball coach but a horses butt I know him personally and lm sorry but he thinks way to highly of himself.
Really...that has not been my experience.

I remember when Tanner was named as AD. I was telling a friend of mine I thought this was not a wise choice due to the fact he did not have enough experience on the administrative aspect in addition to how to go about raising funds, and that being a successful baseball coach did not bring the type of skill set required for this job

I got serious pushback and he repeated what many said on this board at the time of his hiring. "He's a good guy, and he knows how to win".
Well, those are correct statements. i don't begrudge Tanner as from all appearances he seems to be a decent person, but this job may be beyond his skill set

Agreed. It's obvious. He leveraged his success as a great baseball coach to become a prime example of the Peter Principle. Sad, but not surprising. Could see it coming from the moment it happened.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT