ADVERTISEMENT

Who would want the UGA job?

TheRoosterGuru

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2009
Those idiots and their idiot fans bitching just probably set their program back half a decade.

I just don't see how they can hire Smart or Herman after this. Imagine either of those guys comes in and goes 9-3 their first year but doesn't win the East. The "Why did we fire Richt? He did better than this?" voices fire up IMMEDIATELY. I'm not saying they'd actually be on the hotseat but I mean, come on... the money can't be that good if you literally can't win enough games to keep that job. IMO they HAVE to have a deal worked out already with an established, big name coach and for whatever reason they are just sitting on it. The problem is, I can't think of anybody they would need to sit on. I just can't wrap my brain around firing Mark Richt this late in the season with the hopes of getting someone who's never coached at all or is in their first season at Houston.

Reactions: nikolas22
USC Jr? Our University was established well before the one on the West Coast so I would say they are Jr.

Richt at USC would be fine with me.
Just asking because over the years, and including this year, this board has called him a moron, a choker, and a warden watching over thuga. There are many more unflattering names too - just can't remember them at the moment. But if you'd take him as a HC then okay.

Who could they get? Obvious answer is Kirby Smart, simply because he has coveted that job for so long. Outside of him, you bring up a good point. They bet the house on Smart IMO.

Smart, who is an alum wants it. Every fan base has unreasonable expectations.

I was saying the same thing about the LSU job if they fired Miles, and people were talking trash to me about how it's a great place. I said it before and I'll say it again, I know I'm pretty good at my job, but there's ALWAYS someone better, and going to a place where the only solution is being the absolute best out of over 100 competitors is not a good job.

I know it's been covered, but Richt has other things in his life, and he's hardly hurting for money.

I don't think he jumps back into coaching. Actually I could see him at Miami maybe, but otherwise it wouldn't surprise me if he never coaches again.

He will stay busy though.

Idotic UGA fans can't be happy with 9+ wins a season, bowl games and top 25 rankings. They won't do any better than that. I agree with others, this will set them back for years.

This is good for us.

I really don't think this is good for us. UGa will get all the prize recruits from GA like Richt and all his predecessors did. Richt was not a very good game coach. I have heard this from numerous friends in the coaching profession. UGa won many games just because they lined up with more talent than anyone else. If they get a good game day coach to go along with all this talent, we might not beat them like we have ever again.

I know it's been covered, but Richt has other things in his life, and he's hardly hurting for money.

I don't think he jumps back into coaching. Actually I could see him at Miami maybe, but otherwise it wouldn't surprise me if he never coaches again.

He will stay busy though.

From what I have heard from well-connected UGa fans is that they made a settlement with Richt that requires him to stay out of coaching in order to get the full amount of the $4+ million they are going to pay him. So they have offered him a job with the University that permits him to work with young people but requires him not to coach for a year or two. They don't want him coming back and recruiting the state of Georgia for a while. So they will pay him to not compete in effect. Don't look for him as an option here this year.

From what I have heard from well-connected UGa fans is that they made a settlement with Richt that requires him to stay out of coaching in order to get the full amount of the $4+ million they are going to pay him. So they have offered him a job with the University that permits him to work with young people but requires him not to coach for a year or two. They don't want him coming back and recruiting the state of Georgia for a while. So they will pay him to not compete in effect. Don't look for him as an option here this year.

I do not believe your "well connected uga fans."

Richt will end up at Liberty University maybe as coach, probably as AD with the goal of getting them in FBS.

Why would Richt agree to such a settlement to stay out of coaching. He is entitled to the 4+ million anyway. UGA is breaking the contract, not Richt.

Who could they get? Obvious answer is Kirby Smart, simply because he has coveted that job for so long. Outside of him, you bring up a good point. They bet the house on Smart IMO.

Safe money is on Smart for sure..... Don't bet it all there though.... Put some $$$ on the longshot of Chip Kelly.

Richt will end up at Liberty University maybe as coach, probably as AD with the goal of getting them in FBS.

Why would Richt agree to such a settlement to stay out of coaching. He is entitled to the 4+ million anyway. UGA is breaking the contract, not Richt.

Richt never signed his contract. Why, I don't know. Under GA law, that makes him an employee at will although you can argue the contract is binding due to part performance. FWIW, I did just hear that Richt is very unhappy with the way this went down. Perhaps this makes him mad enough to do something unexpected. Really stupid of him not to sign his contract though.

Richt never signed his contract. Why, I don't know. Under GA law, that makes him an employee at will although you can argue the contract is binding due to part performance. FWIW, I did just hear that Richt is very unhappy with the way this went down. Perhaps this makes him mad enough to do something unexpected. Really stupid of him not to sign his contract though.

I don't think his previous contract has expired.

I don't think his previous contract has expired.

You are right. Under the unexpired contract, his buyout is down to $1 million. They are honoring the extension that he never signed which had a $4+ million buyout.

Just asking because over the years, and including this year, this board has called him a moron, a choker, and a warden watching over thuga. There are many more unflattering names too - just can't remember them at the moment. But if you'd take him as a HC then okay.

Actually most people on this board have spoken very highly of him. They may have knocked the school for all of the suspensions but I think everyone here (other than the few jack@sses that every school has) has shown a lot of respect for Richt as a person and a coach. Although he most likely isn't coming here I think most people would be thrilled if he did.

You are right. Under the unexpired contract, his buyout is down to $1 million. They are honoring the extension that he never signed which had a $4+ million buyout.

That's almost insulting in a way. If I understand the details of this, he makes 3 million extra and gets some kind of admin job with Georgia if he takes the deal as the UGA administration wants it.

Or if he wants to coach again, he can pocket one million and sign a contract in this very unusual current coach's market.

That doesn't seem very clever on UGA's part. Ball is in Richt's court, because their bribe doesn't make the slightest bit of sense. If it is pure money Richt will make more than three million by signing with whoever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT