ADVERTISEMENT

Women's basketball or men's baseball

CarolinaHeaven

Dec 16, 2006
if you had to choose, would you rather have another national championship in men's baseball or a first national championship in WBB. I vote WBB. It's a more exciting sport and more popular nationally!

Would love to see it in WBB, but I believe we've seen evidence that we aren't as good as we thought we were. WBB is currently better than baseball, however.

WBB
cool.r191677.gif

In this order:

I would rather have one football NC than 10 MBB NCs or 10 baseball NCs.
MBB and baseball are roughly even, and I would rather have 1 title in either of those sports than 5 in WBB.

And I would contest the idea that WBB is more popular than college baseball nationally. I'd say both are largely regional phenomenons: the the Northeast and Midwest, where the weather isn't conducive to baseball, WBB is more popular, and hockey might be even more popular still. In the South and West Coast, college baseball is favored. I will say that ESPN pushes WBB harder, but they need content featuring female athletes and basketball is massively more popular than most other women's sports (volleyball, soccer, softball, etc.), so that's what we get.

I would suspect that at your average SEC school the priority list might look like this (with the obvious exception of Kentucky):
1. Football
2. Baseball/MBB, depending on the school
3. MBB/Baseball, depending on the school
4. WBB

While in the Big 10 the list might look like this:
1. Football
2. MBB
3. WBB
4. Baseball

EDIT: 1000 posts. Looks like I'll never be able to post again.
This post was edited on 3/2 10:04 PM by 4thgengamecock

If we could win one in football I'd be satisfied for life. To win one in men's basketball I would be happy for a decade. Since we've already won two in baseball, I want WBB to win one while the men's sports are mediocre and not as entertaining as they have been recently. It's doable while Aja Wilson is here.

Originally posted by CarolinaHeaven:
if you had to choose, would you rather have another national championship in men's baseball or a first national championship in WBB. I vote WBB. It's a more exciting sport and more popular nationally!
I agree; I'm more of a basketball than a baseball fan and viewership is higher, so it's a more prestigious championship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT