ADVERTISEMENT

Yes/No question

There's a better chance that 50 dollar bills will fall from the sky tomorrow (literally) than making the NCAA, we will do well to win 1 of the last 4 games, and will be out after the first round of the tourney, sitting home watching other teams play, out athletic teams (save for WB) are just poor.....

Reactions: drawplay000
I actually can't answer it because of the word "deserve." I want him back. But I can understand the criticism and the desire for many to move on.

Sadly, even if I wanted him gone, I have zero confidence that Ray Tanner can hire anyone remotely close to the coach that Frank Martin is. This is a MUCH tougher hire than the baseball and football hires. How are those programs doing?

I am not happy with Martin and I feel we may need to move on, but I think he has a huge buyout also so he may be given another year or so. But that is just me

USCALUMNI

Yes. Martin deserves another year. Based upon the roster he has built and the potential for future success. One NCAA tourney appearance in SEVEN (not eight yet, as this season is not over) seasons is not great, but I will argue the first three seasons don't even count - such was the shit show Martin walked into at USC.

So, toss those first three seasons out for argument's sake, you have the following results:

• Season four. 4th place SEC finish finish. Ties program record for wins (25). Misses NCAA due to weak non-conference schedule. NIT second round.
  • Season five. 4th place SEC finish. Breaks program record for wins (26), breaks 40 year NCAA Tourney win drought, and takes team to its first Final Four.
  • Season six. Program takes a step back after graduations and other roster attrition - 17-16 finish.
  • Season seven. 4th place SEC finish. Misses NCAA and NIT due to a non-winning record (16-16).
  • Season eight... remains to be seen
I don't know how this season will finish up, unlike UGASUX, who seems to have it all figured out. What I do know is that Martin has substantially upgraded our basketball program. He is universally respected (save for this forum), and the future is promising, IMO.

I think Frank is a good coach for the system that he wants to run. The problem is that he needs players to be in the system many years before they can play it well. As we know, Frank typically loses a lot of players every year.

Man, I'd really like him to succeed here but I just don't see it.

I say YES. He’s a good coach. May not make everyone happy all the time. But he’s a good coach. If he’s not here, he’ll go anywhere else and succeed.

I hope he can succeed here, though.
I'm guessing your definition of "succeed" doesn't mean make the NCAA tournament on a regular basis.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
It depends. If we lose most of the games the rest of the way, no. If we win most of the games, yes.

Frank’s teams always do this, and it’s so predictable and frustrating: lose games we shouldn’t before conference play, look competent during the first 2/3 of conference play, then falter down the stretch. It’s just enough to keep me hanging onto hope.

In short, this team needs to go on another winning streak to close the season. If that doesn’t happen, then I say adios.

No. Frank’s strategy is to over train the team early, then taper off mid season. So we lose to bad teams early, then everyone gets their hopes up later in the season. He also overemphasizes defense over offense. It only works when he lucks into signing a Sindarious.

Let me add something to this. He came into a Darrin Horn dumpster fire so I gave him a pass for 2 or 3 years. But this is year 8. If we would have keeped Horn ,he would have took us to 1 tournament. I think.

Last edited:
I actually can't answer it because of the word "deserve." I want him back. But I can understand the criticism and the desire for many to move on.

Sadly, even if I wanted him gone, I have zero confidence that Ray Tanner can hire anyone remotely close to the coach that Frank Martin is. This is a MUCH tougher hire than the baseball and football hires. How are those programs doing?

This. RT knows he can't do any better so he won't let him go.

If we were a better program he would be gone. Sadly, we are an average to below average program.

Frank is a good coach. He can be a great coach at times. He's got to find a way to avoid the early season losses (life lessons) and the late season swoons.

We have 4 games left. I think 2-2 is the most likely outcome.

Sadly Frank is a dinosaur in today's game. I respect him and his choice to sit players for various reasons, especally early in the season. But the ranking system where early games count as much as late doesnt help him. And that's sad. I'd like for him to win out and overcome that but if not, a change is in order if we are to compete imo.

Sadly Frank is a dinosaur in today's game. I respect him and his choice to sit players for various reasons, especally early in the season. But the ranking system where early games count as much as late doesnt help him. And that's sad. I'd like for him to win out and overcome that but if not, a change is in order if we are to compete imo.

But we can't forget the injuries. Losing Minaya just when his game was coming around was a big blow. He was a leader. McCreary isn't back to 100% either.

I say yes, but not as head bb coach. Here’s an idea. Retire Ray, make Frank the AD and let him hire a head bb coach.

I say yes, but not as head bb coach. Here’s an idea. Retire Ray, make Frank the AD and let him hire a head bb coach.
i don’t think frank would even consider that role. he’s bball or bust. if there was a scenario where he couldn’t find another college coaching job, he’d probably go back to a miami high school job.

Let me add something to this. He came into a Darrin Horn dumpster fire so I gave him a pass for 2 or 3 years. But this is year 8. If we would have keeped Horn ,he would have took us to 1 tournament. I think.

Seriously? Horn went from 21-10 (10-6 SEC) in his first season, with Odom's players, to 10-21 (2-14) in season four. And as memory serves, he did his best to further sabotage the program on his way out by encouraging key returning players to transfer. Horn was the ultimate in-over-his-head crash and burn. He has no equal in USC athletic history, surpassing even Brad Scott, IMO.

If we would have "keeped" him for another season or two, USC would have been better served just eliminating men's basketball altogether.

Seriously? Horn went from 21-10 (10-6 SEC) in his first season, with Odom's players, to 10-21 (2-14) in season four. And as memory serves, he did his best to further sabotage the program on his way out by encouraging key returning players to transfer. Horn was the ultimate in over his head crash and burn. He has no equal in USC athletic history, surpassing even Brad Scott, IMO.

If we would have "keeped" him for another season or two, USC would have been better served just eliminating men's basketball altogether.
If he would have remanded our coach for the next 8 years. He wouldnt have make the tournament 1 time? I believe he would have.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
Seriously? Horn went from 21-10 (10-6 SEC) in his first season, with Odom's players, to 10-21 (2-14) in season four. And as memory serves, he did his best to further sabotage the program on his way out by encouraging key returning players to transfer. Horn was the ultimate in-over-his-head crash and burn. He has no equal in USC athletic history, surpassing even Brad Scott, IMO.

Kept lol sorry.

No.

After 8 years, you know what you have and Frank is very consistent. We'll always have an average-to-above-average team that is capable of some head-scratching wins and some head-scratching losses. We will hone in on the head-scratching wins and assume we have a good team that couldn't win the games they needed to down the stretch. The truth is, we usually just have an average team that manages to continue playing average ball down the stretch. We don't blow our NCAA chances down the stretch - their inconsistent play during the regular season just made us think we had something we didn't.

I'm guessing your definition of "succeed" doesn't mean make the NCAA tournament on a regular basis.

You asked and I gave my response, man. You’re welcome. We are all entitled to our opinion.

It doesn’t even matter what I think! Haha! What matters is if Ray wants him here it not.

Ask anyone around the nation. Frank Martin is a heck of a coach.

You asked and I gave my response, man. You’re welcome. We are all entitled to our opinion.

It doesn’t even matter what I think! Haha! What matters is if Ray wants him here it not.

Ask anyone around the nation. Frank Martin is a heck of a coach.
I'm well aware Frank is popular around the country. I think it's his personality more than his coaching/recruiting though. If he ever quits coaching he'll immediately be hired as a commentator.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT