ADVERTISEMENT

zone read.

wygamecock

Jul 30, 2015
We have got to stop running this play unless the qb can keep the ball and actually run with it.

I thought we would have a zone read capable quarterback ready to go after Shaw graduated. I guess they're hard to find, for our coaching staff anyways. Not so difficult for Ohio State's.

Agree with the OP. QB needs to keep it 3-4 times per game to keep the DLine honest, otherwise, they crash down hard on the RB. Dylan's TD run vs. UF was successful because we had pounded MD at them several plays in a row. They crashed down leaving the QB wide open to the outside. I've heard the coaches say that we don't always run a Zone Read even though the formation and play may resemble it. Sometimes it is a pre-determined hand-off with different blocking schemes employed.

Reactions: Tigerof66
You can't predetermine if the QB keeps the ball. That's why its called a "READ". If the opponents take away the QB option you have to hand the ball off. The defense determines what you do, not the offense.

Need a QB that is a threat to run, like Shaw was or the play is worthless.

You can't predetermine if the QB keeps the ball. That's why its called a "READ". If the opponents take away the QB option you have to hand the ball off. The defense determines what you do, not the offense.
Only in theory. There is no doubt Dylan was running that play the majority of the time as a predetermined handoff.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT