ADVERTISEMENT

130,000 Empty Seats at Bristol Yesterday....

There are no Southern drivers anymore. They should get Bill Elliott or Ward Burton to teach these guys how to talk. To me it's as simple as that.
That's exactly right. The blue collar racers have been replaced by drivers with advanced degrees and proper grammar. Likewise the demographic of the racing fan has changed from the fans who love the smell of burnt rubber, hot wings and Budweiser have been replaced by tie wearing businessmen lounging in luxury box seats.

Why the decline in NASCAR attendance?

111414-NASCAR-Brian-France-MISSION-ACCOMPLISHED-SS-PI.vresize.1200.675.high.36.jpg

There are no Southern drivers anymore. They should get Bill Elliott or Ward Burton to teach these guys how to talk. To me it's as simple as that.

Spot on. Went away from their roots & most avid fan base. Elimination of Rockingham, only 1 race @ Darlington, only 1 race at Atlanta, the reconfiguration of Atlanta, etc., etc., etc. Many of the fans that avidly followed the circuit now just tune in on TV. I for one am happy to see it. Once they realize how & why they failed, hopefully it won't be too late & they'll come back to their people. Cut ticket prices in half & come back to the South!

Back in 2011 or 2012 they redid the banking at Bristol which absolutely ruined the racing. Turned it into a one race grove track. Old days running the bottom was the fastest way around usually causing drivers to have to "bump" somebody out of the way. Now it's the top that's the fastest and if you get caught on the bottom you lose multiple position until you get back to the top making passing extremely hard. The place was a sell out usually until they made that change.

You know i turned on FS1 the other night and a soccer game was on and the place was packed and everyone was singing at the top of their lungs and drinking beer. They were watching men run around and kick a ball for 90 minuets with no score. American sports fans are freaking spoiled brats. Bristol is still a hell of a race but if we dont have someone crashing each other every 10 laps people get bored. In other words they arent race fans and dont know whats going on.

Reactions: Cock_Donor
111414-NASCAR-Brian-France-MISSION-ACCOMPLISHED-SS-PI.vresize.1200.675.high.36.jpg

Spot on. Went away from their roots & most avid fan base. Elimination of Rockingham, only 1 race @ Darlington, only 1 race at Atlanta, the reconfiguration of Atlanta, etc., etc., etc. Many of the fans that avidly followed the circuit now just tune in on TV. I for one am happy to see it. Once they realize how & why they failed, hopefully it won't be too late & they'll come back to their people. Cut ticket prices in half & come back to the South!
Rockingham lost that race because they couldn't sell tickets even back when "racing was good". Andy Hillenberg tried to bring it back but the community didnt support it ....again. Atlanta has always been a crappy sports town and Darlington was the same as Rockingham with attendance until they came up with the throwback weekend which was a brilliant move by the track personnel.

You know i turned on FS1 the other night and a soccer game was on and the place was packed and everyone was singing at the top of their lungs and drinking beer. They were watching men run around and kick a ball for 90 minuets with no score. American sports fans are freaking spoiled brats. Bristol is still a hell of a race but if we dont have someone crashing each other every 10 laps people get bored. In other words they arent race fans and dont know whats going on.

I'm not sure why you decided to disparage the world's most popular sport, which provides almost literally non stop action and features the most skilled athletes in the world. But I suspect the issue with car racing is that it's car racing. Not even real car racing in this instance, but restricted car racing mostly on oval tracks. As a sport, it was always going to run its course and settle on a small following anyway.

Rockingham lost that race because they couldn't sell tickets even back when "racing was good". Andy Hillenberg tried to bring it back but the community didnt support it ....again. Atlanta has always been a crappy sports town and Darlington was the same as Rockingham with attendance until they came up with the throwback weekend which was a brilliant move by the track personnel.

Need north Wilks back to

I think high definition big screen TVs are killing attendance at all sports events.

Back when we only played on tv once or twice a year WB was packed. Now u can stay home and watch any game or sporting event. Seating capacity will continue to decrease and stadiums will get smaller in the future as people stay on the couch even more

Reactions: scirish77
I'm not sure why you decided to disparage the world's most popular sport, which provides almost literally non stop action and features the most skilled athletes in the world. But I suspect the issue with car racing is that it's car racing. Not even real car racing in this instance, but restricted car racing mostly on oval tracks. As a sport, it was always going to run its course and settle on a small following anyway.

Most skilled sport... What? Where you referring to soccer?

Reactions: Cock-a-Doo
I think this is true in man ways. Plus, NASCAR is even more corporate now and very predictable.

All the newer guys are basically the same guy with a different sponsor and color scheme.

Personally, I think there are too many races. Winning or doing well in one race isn't a big deal. There is nothing really special about a lot of those races these days. Most of the newer tracks are cookie cutter.

NASCAR has been supported by Middle Class forever. The Middle class is squeezed so tight, they no longer have the resources to go To NASCAR races. The Middle Class is now lower class that can barely make ends meet, let alone spend hundreds to attend a Race..

Reactions: scirish77
It's pretty simple. NASCAR alienated it's base. I remember the article a decade or so ago with them stating they wanted to shed their redneck image. One big problem though was the rednecks they were ashamed of were the ticket buyers, and avid fans. During that time they built tracks out west thinking it would take hold there which in reality just got a initial wave of fans to go to a couple of races and see it wasn't for them. Like others mentioned you no longer have Earnhardt, Elliot, Wallace, The Allison's to name few and when they left the fans went with them. NASCAR is on the fast rack to being a minor sport now. It's heyday is way behind them now.

I used to go to Darlington every year. Been to Bristol once. It's not the same. Just don't care who wins anymore.

It's pretty simple. NASCAR alienated it's base. I remember the article a decade or so ago with them stating they wanted to shed their redneck image. One big problem though was the rednecks they were ashamed of were the ticket buyers, and avid fans. During that time they built tracks out west thinking it would take hold there which in reality just got a initial wave of fans to go to a couple of races and see it wasn't for them. Like others mentioned you no longer have Earnhardt, Elliot, Wallace, The Allison's to name few and when they left the fans went with them. NASCAR is on the fast rack to being a minor sport now. It's heyday is way behind them now.
Not true at all. NASCAR is still a major sport and will continue to be. There werent 130,000 empty seats like the OP said it was more like 80,000 and that means 85,000 in attendance which is nice crowd for any major sport.

lol. Not in the USA buddy. we demand more then running around and kicking a ball from the "worlds most skilled athletes" for 90 minuets to end in a zero-zero tie. NASCAR has been predicted to die every year since the 1950's. Guess what? They just signed another multi year multi Billion dollar TV contract.

NASCAR has been supported by Middle Class forever. The Middle class is squeezed so tight, they no longer have the resources to go To NASCAR races. The Middle Class is now lower class that can barely make ends meet, let alone spend hundreds to attend a Race..

+1 and they dump the old tracks like Rockingham and Darlington should have 2 races .

Not true at all. NASCAR is still a major sport and will continue to be. There werent 130,000 empty seats like the OP said it was more like 80,000 and that means 85,000 in attendance which is nice crowd for any major sport.

I've been to Bristol several times and I can tell you the place was empty. There were probably no more than 25,000 in the stands. My neighbor was there and he couldn't believe it. You sir simply need a dose of reality.

lol. Not in the USA buddy. we demand more then running around and kicking a ball from the "worlds most skilled athletes" for 90 minuets to end in a zero-zero tie. NASCAR has been predicted to die every year since the 1950's. Guess what? They just signed another multi year multi Billion dollar TV contract.
Could you imagine the deal the NFL would get if it was year around?

No way it's a major sport.

Major sport lol. Tell that to the networks and the track hosting these events. It's an utter shell of what it was 15-20 years ago.

And yet somehow people still manage to sell out basketball, football, baseball games, etc. etc.

Major sport lol. Tell that to the networks and the track hosting these events. It's an utter shell of what it was 15-20 years ago.

And one more thing to add. Right now as we speak the tracks are in construction phase. Their taking seats out shrinking the capacity. That's not a sign of a major sport.

Tell that to NBC and FOX that just ponied up Billions for the TV rights? lol. You lose

And one more thing to add. Right now as we speak the tracks are in construction phase. Their taking seats out shrinking the capacity. That's not a sign of a major sport.
Yes. NASCAR tracks overbuilt back in the mid 2000's when they went thru the boom. Even so with the removal of seats they are still massive stadiums that for the most part have a larger capacity the most NFL stadiums.

I've been to Bristol several times and I can tell you the place was empty. There were probably no more than 25,000 in the stands. My neighbor was there and he couldn't believe it. You sir simply need a dose of reality.
Wrong. I've been to and spotted at Bristol for years and that Stadium holds 165,000 so 85,000 empty seats is stunning to see. Maybe you need the reality check.

I watched the lower series race on Sat. and was blown away by the lack of fans at Bristol. Kyle Bush runs most of these lower series races and absolutely dominates them. I thought mainly because of him being in the lower series winning all the time that no one wanted to pay to watch, but dang I also noticed on Sunday all the empty seats, it kinda shocked me. A Bristol ticket 10 years ago was almost impossible to get. Now you can just show up 30 minutes before the race and buy one.

I watched the lower series race on Sat. and was blown away by the lack of fans at Bristol. Kyle Bush runs most of these lower series races and absolutely dominates them. I thought mainly because of him being in the lower series winning all the time that no one wanted to pay to watch, but dang I also noticed on Sunday all the empty seats, it kinda shocked me. A Bristol ticket 10 years ago was almost impossible to get. Now you can just show up 30 minutes before the race and buy one.
How much was the ticket?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT