ADVERTISEMENT

130,000 Empty Seats at Bristol Yesterday....

Compared to other Major Sports. I know many that would take their vacations and go Camp in the infield, they have told me that their entertainment dollars are needed elsewhere, so i do think their fan base (Generally middle to lower class) has been hit hard by the Obama economy... But fro me personally, I wouldnt go if you gave me tickets, but that is just me.. I have been to Darlington, Daytona, Charlotte, Old Rockingham and Bristol.. But i would probably still choose Charlotte All-Star race (Old Winston) over an NBA game. I had Hornets season tickets before they even had a team, we were there for every game.. I could not care less about NBA right now, but it is still popular... Maybe NASCAR did a bad job of encouraging the youth, and now their fan base is getting "A little too old" to deal with it.. In other words, NASCAR fans are getting older, maybe, NASCAR didnt do as good a job of getting Youth involved say 15 years ago.
Well they dumped RJ Reynolds and took on Nextel which was the next big thing with the kids at the time and spent millions on research and marketing for future fan support and did exceptionally well considering they had their biggest increase of attendance in history but whats gone wrong after that is a mixed bag of economy, streaming events and not attending, Bristol not wrecking cars every 20 laps, Common Template bodies which turned off the hardcore manufacturer fans, The Chase, etc...

But bottom line its still a great sport if you dont look for stuff to piss you off like some people live to do.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Compared to other Major Sports. I know many that would take their vacations and go Camp in the infield, they have told me that their entertainment dollars are needed elsewhere, so i do think their fan base (Generally middle to lower class) has been hit hard by the Obama economy... But fro me personally, I wouldnt go if you gave me tickets, but that is just me.. I have been to Darlington, Daytona, Charlotte, Old Rockingham and Bristol.. But i would probably still choose Charlotte All-Star race (Old Winston) over an NBA game. I had Hornets season tickets before they even had a team, we were there for every game.. I could not care less about NBA right now, but it is still popular... Maybe NASCAR did a bad job of encouraging the youth, and now their fan base is getting "A little too old" to deal with it.. In other words, NASCAR fans are getting older, maybe, NASCAR didnt do as good a job of getting Youth involved say 15 years ago.
Can we please stop the soccer nonsense. They average 21,000 in 75,000 seat stadiums, tv ratings are abysmal for MLS.

Worlds best athletes, please. They are in good shape but to call them the worlds best athletes is absurd. Guy runs down field kicks ball 20 yards wide of net and announcers and fans holler, "great run." Let a guy dribble down court and throw up air ball and see how much excitement that creates.

Soccer is popular in US about every 4 years. It is a spoiled sport for spoiled kids with spoiled parents. Don't believe it, go attend a hs soccer match or a club soccer match.

What was the "competitive advantage" that was given to Danica that let her win the pole by 3000th of a second. I'll wait......

No clue. Wasn't specifically told.

Well they dumped RJ Reynolds and took on Nextel which was the next big thing with the kids at the time and spent millions on research and marketing for future fan support and did exceptionally well considering they had their biggest increase of attendance in history but whats gone wrong after that is a mixed bag of economy, streaming events and not attending, Bristol not wrecking cars every 20 laps, Common Template bodies which turned off the hardcore manufacturer fans, The Chase, etc...

But bottom line its still a great sport if you dont look for stuff to piss you off like some people live to do.

I literally know 50 tried & true nascar fans. ZERO of them enjoy the racing like they used to. I personally, haven't spent any of my hard earned money attending a race since the '03 Firecracker 400.....yeah....I still call it that.

Reactions: martycat1
Can we please stop the soccer nonsense. They average 21,000 in 75,000 seat stadiums, tv ratings are abysmal for MLS.

Worlds best athletes, please. They are in good shape but to call them the worlds best athletes is absurd. Guy runs down field kicks ball 20 yards wide of net and announcers and fans holler, "great run." Let a guy dribble down court and throw up air ball and see how much excitement that creates.

Soccer is popular in US about every 4 years. It is a spoiled sport for spoiled kids with spoiled parents. Don't believe it, go attend a hs soccer match or a club soccer match.

You lose credibility when you start out your post with a complete fabrication. 14 of the 20 teams play in their own stadiums, with a couple more teams moving in that direction. Of the teams that play on large stadiums, Seattle averages 44K, Orlando 32K and NYCFC 29K in Yankee Stadium.

I will agree somewhat with your "spoiled kid" opinion regarding club soccer in the US. It's a problem that needs to be addressed. But based on attendance and TV viewership for all leagues, soccer's popularity is on the rise.

No clue. Wasn't specifically told.

I literally know 50 tried & true nascar fans. ZERO of them enjoy the racing like they used to. I personally, haven't spent any of my hard earned money attending a race since the '03 Firecracker 400.....yeah....I still call it that.
Wonder why? I've been a fan and a Racer since the early 70's and still find it fascinating and one of the most technical sports out there. The racing is there to enjoy if you want too. Its cars, strategy, speed and close competition. I never thought I would care much more for it when we damn near lost Bobby at Pocono but I stuck with it and have enjoyed it ever since.

Reactions: Jpcooper
You lose credibility when you start out your post with a complete fabrication. 14 of the 20 teams play in their own stadiums, with a couple more teams moving in that direction. Of the teams that play on large stadiums, Seattle averages 44K, Orlando 32K and NYCFC 29K in Yankee Stadium.

I will agree somewhat with your "spoiled kid" opinion regarding club soccer in the US. It's a problem that needs to be addressed. But based on attendance and TV viewership for all leagues, soccer's popularity is on the rise.
Of course, the Spanish population is increasing.

What gets tiresome is the "holier than thou" attitude of soccer fans. Because America doesn't watch and Europe does means they are intellectually superior, sick of that crap. Americans do not watch because you play for 90-95 minutes and end in a freaking tie and everyone tries to tell you how exciting the 0-0 game was. Please, make them play until someone wins and quit the stupid penalty kick ending.

Can you imagine the Super Bowl ending in tie, playing 2 overtimes and no one scoring and then saying,"well let's have a fg kickoff to decide the world champion??"

I watch every once in awhile but detest the attitude that because someone watches soccer they are jsut morally superior. Please.

So, it's obvious that USC-1 works for Nascar, I get it. Those responses are the same responses you get from anyone that works/is associated with that sport. Those people don't listen. They tell you that they want to listen and they do for 30 seconds, but then they spend 20 minutes telling you that you are wrong. So, they pretend they care but they don't.

So, listen, here are my top 10 nit-picks:

1. All those track/schedule changes that were made were done so in the interest of the track owners making more money, I get that. But, they were indeed wrong about what it would do to alienate their Southern base of fans and their ability to hang on to new fans. They didn't realize that the fans going to the races were going to multiple races, for some reason, and that once they eliminated NW and The Rock, that those folks would just decide to stop going to others as well. Then to top it off, not only did those tracks lose races, Darlington's traditional labor day date gets given to California and now 3 races have essentially been eliminated from the South. NW, The Rock, and Darlington weren't sellouts but they balanced the schedule and their tv ratings were better that their attendance (see road courses). The Road Course races never "sell out" either but no one ever brings those up when they say that The Rock and NW can't fill their seats. Those people are now gone, forever, some of which did Bristol the week before and now no longer do that one either, which leads to ...

2. Bristol is an absolute crap show now with the newer, progressive banking. Burton Smith said that they would take it back to where it was before but that was obviously not true as it has never returned to its form from before the re-pave. The fans have spoken. They aren't wrong because the customer is always right and, right now, there are no customers.

3. $110-$250 a ticket is not comparable to most major sports. In 1990, we had tickets in the covered Colvin grandstand at Darlington at the S/F line on the top row, $70. Now, they've switched sides, you have no covered seat, the seats are closer together, and you roast all day for $130 (after taxes). Hello? Charlotte's cost is much higher for the same seats, so is Bristol and LVMS.

4. Toyota. Enough said.

5. All the 1.5 mile tracks are the same. Why did they screw up Atlanta, why??? The same folks that screwed up Bristol.

6. The drivers. No Elliott, Wallace, Earnhardt, Martin, Allisons, Kulwicki, etc. Instead you get JJ, KB part 1 and 2, and TS when he's not killing himself or others. Who are you going to pull for? I tried pulling for Blaney but then Nascar doesn't give the oldest team in the garage a "charter" and gives a couple away to teams that don't exist anymore. LOL.

7. The teams. Hendrick, Penske, and Gibbs. Everyone else is just fighting to stay alive. If Roush didn't have Yates motors, Ford would be gone.

8. The engine rules and top 35 rule guaranteeing entry into the race ruined qualifying day. When they did that rule, they ticked off a whole load of people. We used to go to Charlotte on Pole Night and the place would be packed. You could watch qualifying and then Arca or some other type of race would be after that. Now watch who shows up for Pole Night. It's basically empty now because no one really cares anymore. They know that the teams are afraid of having to change engines so they don't give it their all and they don't have to because they're more or less guaranteed to make the race. Guess what? The fans know this too.

9. The cars. They aren't based on normal street cars anymore (other than decals). In 1986, you could go to your nearest interstate bridge and within a matter of an hour count 10 T-Birds that looked like the one Bill Elliott was driving on Sunday. Now, you couldn't stand there for a week and count even 1 Chevrolet SS or Ford Fusion that looks like what's on the track now.

10. Race rules. The Lucky Dog and free pass is an abomination. Double file restarts. Overtime lines. My Lord.

What gets tiresome is the "holier than thou" attitude of soccer fans. Because America doesn't watch and Europe does means they are intellectually superior, sick of that crap. Americans do not watch because you play for 90-95 minutes and end in a freaking tie and everyone tries to tell you how exciting the 0-0 game was. Please, make them play until someone wins and quit the stupid penalty kick ending.

Can you imagine the Super Bowl ending in tie, playing 2 overtimes and no one scoring and then saying,"well let's have a fg kickoff to decide the world champion??"

I watch every once in awhile but detest the attitude that because someone watches soccer they are jsut morally superior. Please.

I get tired of that attitude as well, actually. I could not care less if someone likes it or not. However, I don't like when others put it down or get on me for watching it, because I love it.

Kyle Bush winning the championship after finishing 27th in the point standings to start the chase turned some people off. Yes I know he was given a medical waver (which I do not agree with because he choose to race in a lower series and got hurt) and missed a third of the season, and yet he won some races and finished above 30th in the points so here you go. You miss a third of the season and win the championship, because you won the last race of the season. That IMO is crap, but sure made for a wonderful feel good story. Just my .02 cents sorry if I offended any KB fans.

So, it's obvious that USC-1 works for Nascar, I get it. Those responses are the same responses you get from anyone that works/is associated with that sport. Those people don't listen. They tell you that they want to listen and they do for 30 seconds, but then they spend 20 minutes telling you that you are wrong. So, they pretend they care but they don't.

1. All those track/schedule changes that were made were done so in the interest of the track owners making more money, I get that. But, they were indeed wrong about what it would do to alienate their Southern base of fans and their ability to hang on to new fans. They didn't realize that the fans going to the races were going to multiple races, for some reason, and that once they eliminated NW and The Rock, that those folks would just decide to stop going to others as well. Then to top it off, not only did those tracks lose races, Darlington's traditional labor day date gets given to California and now 3 races have essentially been eliminated from the South. NW, The Rock, and Darlington weren't sellouts but they balanced the schedule and their tv ratings were better that their attendance (see road courses). The Road Course races never "sell out" either but no one ever brings those up when they say that The Rock and NW can't fill their seats. Those people are now gone, forever, some of which did Bristol the week before and now no longer do that one either, which leads to ...

2. Bristol is an absolute crap show now with the newer, progressive banking. Burton Smith said that they would take it back to where it was before but that was obviously not true as it has never returned to its form from before the re-pave. The fans have spoken. They aren't wrong because the customer is always right and, right now, there are no customers.

3. $110-$250 a ticket is not comparable to most major sports. In 1990, we had tickets in the covered Colvin grandstand at Darlington at the S/F line on the top row, $70. Now, they've switched sides, you have no covered seat, the seats are closer together, and you roast all day for $130 (after taxes). Hello? Charlotte's cost is much higher for the same seats, so is Bristol and LVMS.

4. Toyota. Enough said.

5. All the 1.5 mile tracks are the same. Why did they screw up Atlanta, why??? The same folks that screwed up Bristol.

6. The drivers. No Elliott, Wallace, Earnhardt, Martin, Allisons, Kulwicki, etc. Instead you get JJ, KB part 1 and 2, and TS when he's not killing himself or others. Who are you going to pull for? I tried pulling for Blaney but then Nascar doesn't give the oldest team in the garage a "charter" and gives a couple away to teams that don't exist anymore. LOL.

7. The teams. Hendrick, Penske, and Gibbs. Everyone else is just fighting to stay alive. If Roush didn't have Yates motors, Ford would be gone.

8. The engine rules and top 35 rule guaranteeing entry into the race ruined qualifying day. When they did that rule, they ticked off a whole load of people. We used to go to Charlotte on Pole Night and the place would be packed. You could watch qualifying and then Arca or some other type of race would be after that. Now watch who shows up for Pole Night. It's basically empty now because no one really cares anymore. They know that the teams are afraid of having to change engines so they don't give it their all and they don't have to because they're more or less guaranteed to make the race. Guess what? The fans know this too.

9. The cars. They aren't based on normal street cars anymore (other than decals). In 1986, you could go to your nearest interstate bridge and within a matter of an hour count 10 T-Birds that looked like the one Bill Elliott was driving on Sunday. Now, you couldn't stand there for a week and count even 1 Chevrolet SS or Ford Fusion that looks like what's on the track now.

10. Race rules. The Lucky Dog and free pass is an abomination. Double file restarts. Overtime lines. My Lord.
I dont work for NASCAR. I work for a race team. I will not address what you wrote above because its obvious you have your mind made up and even though most of it is ridiculous. Heres the thing though about you haters, and Ive known plenty, they claim to hate NASCAR yet they can tell you everything that happened in the race last sunday lol.

I get tired of that attitude as well, actually. I could not care less if someone likes it or not. However, I don't like when others put it down or get on me for watching it, because I love it.
I have no problem with those who choose to watch it. I enjoy watching golf but know for many that is a boring sport to watch . My issue is those who think if you don't watch it or enjoy watching, it is because you don't understand the game. I do understand the game and just don't find it worth spending my time or money on.

I think it is just like the NFL trying to grow our football in Europe, tried before and it just doesn't interest the majority of people in Europe.

Kyle Bush winning the championship after finishing 27th in the point standings to start the chase turned some people off. Yes I know he was given a medical waver (which I do not agree with because he choose to race in a lower series and got hurt) and missed a third of the season, and yet he won some races and finished above 30th in the points so here you go. You miss a third of the season and win the championship, because you won the last race of the season. That IMO is crap, but sure made for a wonderful feel good story. Just my .02 cents sorry if I offended any KB fans.
I look at it a different way. Kyle Busch qualified and did it in half the amount of races. He met the stipulations put on him and that was finish in the top 30 which when he came back he was well out of, and win a race to advance. He did it and did it convincingly. So , no he didnt win the Championship by winning the last race of the season.

I don't watch NASCAR ever. Just never got into it.

Soccer is definitely on the rise. Anyone who spends any time with young people can see that. Someone mentioned up in the thread that MLS attendance and ratings are low. True, but if you add up U.S. viewing for La Liga, Premier League, and MLS, you're talking about a pretty good audience. Nothing remotely approaching NFL or CFB, but yeah, it's catching on. The question is whether the teenagers who are watching soccer now will care about it in 10 years (enough to buy tickets, watch it on TV, etc.).

I'm saying this as someone who generally finds soccer boring. I will never see a day in which I enjoy watching a soccer match more than a baseball, football, or basketball game. There is definitely a spoiled baby strain among some soccer players and some of their fans can be annoying. And I HATE flopping. But I can see the appeal and see why it is gaining popularity while, say, baseball is continuing to lose relevance.

Soccer players are pretty impressive athletes. Not gonna sit here and say that your typical premier leaguer is a better athlete than a typical wide receiver, but anyone who watches a high level soccer match can see that soccer players combine speed, strength, agility, and skill of the highest order. I found this article interesting about how much different sports competitors run during a game. Soccer leads the way by a long shot. To run 7 miles a game and still be able to play at a fast pace from beginning to end is pretty impressive. http://www.runnersworld.com/newswire/distance-run-per-game-in-various-sports

4. Toyota. Enough said.

Profound post!

Concur.

I look at it a different way. Kyle Busch qualified and did it in half the amount of races. He met the stipulations put on him and that was finish in the top 30 which when he came back he was well out of, and win a race to advance. He did it and did it convincingly. So , no he didnt win the Championship by winning the last race of the season.

First, I think it's awesome that you work for a race team. I watch NASCAR every weekend. I can see where you are coming from, but a lot of fans will not. Also, I respect your opinion on KB. Thanks for the response.

First, I think it's awesome that you work for a race team. I watch NASCAR every weekend. I can see where you are coming from, but a lot of fans will not. Also, I respect your opinion on KB. Thanks for the response.
You're welcome. Glad you are watching and enjoying!

I dont work for NASCAR. I work for a race team. I will not address what you wrote above because its obvious you have your mind made up and even though most of it is ridiculous. Heres the thing though about you haters, and Ive known plenty, they claim to hate NASCAR yet they can tell you everything that happened in the race last sunday lol.

That's right, there's no argument because you have none, just name calling. None of it is ridiculous to someone who grew up going to races to see what it has become now. It is sad. I never said I hated Nascar too, by the way. I just hate what it's become lately. People don't like what's going on in Washington now too but that doesn't mean they don't keep up with what's going on. LOL @ you because you still don't get it.

This is the stupidest post I've ever read on this board.

Soccer is definitely on the rise. Anyone who spends any time with young people can see that. Someone mentioned up in the thread that MLS attendance and ratings are low. True, but if you add up U.S. viewing for La Liga, Premier League, and MLS, you're talking about a pretty good audience. Nothing remotely approaching NFL or CFB, but yeah, it's catching on. The question is whether the teenagers who are watching soccer now will care about it in 10 years (enough to buy tickets, watch it on TV, etc.).

I'm saying this as someone who generally finds soccer boring. I will never see a day in which I enjoy watching a soccer match more than a baseball, football, or basketball game. There is definitely a spoiled baby strain among some soccer players and some of their fans can be annoying. And I HATE flopping. But I can see the appeal and see why it is gaining popularity while, say, baseball is continuing to lose relevance.

Soccer players are pretty impressive athletes. Not gonna sit here and say that your typical premier leaguer is a better athlete than a typical wide receiver, but anyone who watches a high level soccer match can see that soccer players combine speed, strength, agility, and skill of the highest order. I found this article interesting about how much different sports competitors run during a game. Soccer leads the way by a long shot. To run 7 miles a game and still be able to play at a fast pace from beginning to end is pretty impressive. http://www.runnersworld.com/newswire/distance-run-per-game-in-various-sports
I dont care for soccer or nascar....my list would go- USC football, Redskins, USC men's hoops, USC baseball, NCAA tourney, other NFL teams with QB's like Rodgers, Brady ect, Panthers....no longer watch Braves. Just cant fit 'em in any more....but NASCAR? Could care less...same with soccer.

Last edited:

4. Toyota. Enough said.

This ^^^^^ Especially #6 and #9. IMO the seventies were by far the best....the cars and the drivers.

You don't even have to watch soccer to know it's the sport featuring the most skilled athletes on planet Earth. All you have to do is apply some logic.

Soccer is THE sport almost anyone with a shred of athletic ability aspires to play in South America, Western Europe and Africa. It's the sport almost everyone in Asia wants to play, with baseball and cricket competing. It's the sport that competes with hockey in Eastern Europe and Russia. It's THE sport in Mexico and Central America and most of the Caribbean along with baseball. It's really only America where it's fourth or fifth in line.

You know when you're watching Real Madrid or Barcelona or Bayern Munich that you are absolutely, without question watching the world's most skilled athletes. You can't say that about any NFL or NBA or MLB. You might want to say you're watching America's most skilled athletes, and if your point of view is so limited that's where you stop... then maybe broaden your horizons. If you think that some wide receiver for the Panthers is more skilled than Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, who literally have to compete with tens of millions of more people to be the best in their sport, then you are beyond reason.

Reactions: RickyRooster
That's right, there's no argument because you have none, just name calling. None of it is ridiculous to someone who grew up going to races to see what it has become now. It is sad. I never said I hated Nascar too, by the way. I just hate what it's become lately. People don't like what's going on in Washington now too but that doesn't mean they don't keep up with what's going on. LOL @ you because you still don't get it.
I get more then you can comprehend. Enjoy the race sunday lol

4. Toyota. Enough said.

Brian France taking over certainly didn't help. Hell he couldn't run a truck series

Cake Yarborough
Bobby Allison
Buddy Baker
Richard Petty
David Pearson
James Hylton
Bobby Isaac
David Parsons
Benny Parsons
Darrell Waltrip
AJ Foyt

Some of the greatest names in NASCAR history. And the cars were distinguishable, had character, and were simply assume...not bland antiseptic copies of each other.
You do understand that I come from that generation and everyone you mentioned I watched and admired. Fact is each generation will judge there generation to be the best. If you followed NASCAR back in that era, you will remember the constant battle of each manufacturer complaining that the other make had an advantage. NASCAR had to deal with the constant whining of each team and constantly tweak the rules to make each car competitive. This is why you have common templates today. Blame the teams, not NASCAR. Did you know "back in the day" that Chevys ran a Ford 9" rearend and Fords ran a GM 10 Transmission? Nothing has ever been Stock in NASCAR.

Cake Yarborough
Bobby Allison
Buddy Baker
Richard Petty
David Pearson
James Hylton
Bobby Isaac
David Parsons
Benny Parsons
Darrell Waltrip
AJ Foyt

Some of the greatest names in NASCAR history. And the cars were distinguishable, had character, and were simply assume...not bland antiseptic copies of each other.
Dale earnhardt

NASCAR losing Winston was a huge blow to stock car racing from the bottom to the top. All of the young drivers that were racing on dirt/asphalt two or three days a week dreaming of stepping thru the ranks. There was so many stepping stones with Winston short track racing, ALL Pro Races, Busch league, arca and truck racing. The local home tracks are closing faster than I have ever seen. Stock car racing lost a generation or more of drivers when Winston pulled out on the short tracks and then all of the other sponsors followed suite. Once those generation is lost you don't get them back they have moved on to something else. Local short track racing is straggling by and it's all but under. In SC alone in the Chas area we had 3 tracks, Conway had 1, Columbia had 1, gaff net, timmonsville, myrtle beach and I know dozens more but most of those tracks are gone. I do think Brian does not know how to fix it and Jim Hunter (deceased) had he lived may have been able but I don't think so. NW, Rock, Bristol, darling ton rtc those were the money tracks back a good while a go. Maybe they should restart those tracks to see if they can pull the people back in. See if the still have it in their blood

You do know Bobby started a series for his Allison boys. Davey's son races in it. I don't know the weekend yet, but brings the series to timmonsville speedway. If you are interested I'll let you know

You do understand that I come from that generation and everyone you mentioned I watched and admired. Fact is each generation will judge there generation to be the best. If you followed NASCAR back in that era, you will remember the constant battle of each manufacturer complaining that the other make had an advantage. NASCAR had to deal with the constant whining of each team and constantly tweak the rules to make each car competitive. This is why you have common templates today. Blame the teams, not NASCAR. Did you know "back in the day" that Chevys ran a Ford 9" rearend and Fords ran a GM 10 Transmission? Nothing has ever been Stock in NASCAR.
Probably true....have no reason to doubt your obvious expertise on what the teams were doing. The 70s were my preteen thru teen years and David Pearson's brother lived up the street from me. I just like the driver's during that era and the fact that the casual fan could tell the cars apart from each other...Plymouth, Dodge, Chevy, Ford, etc.... And yes I remember the complaints over which new car had an advantage over another.

Sport is fading fast. Ratings are falling. Ticket prices are rising. Corporate America had an infatuation with NASCAR when FOX came on the scene. They are over that now. FOX forced a lot of the local people who had been so loyal to NASCAR out at the tracks. Now they are paying the price. What goes around comes around. A lot of the core base has left the sport. It's just not the same anymore. Like already mentioned...have faded out some of the southern local tracks. Bruton Smith is responsible for a lot of that. Things have been fading ever since Bill France passed away. Lots of empty seats at all the tracks.

NASCAR losing Winston was a huge blow to stock car racing from the bottom to the top. All of the young drivers that were racing on dirt/asphalt two or three days a week dreaming of stepping thru the ranks. There was so many stepping stones with Winston short track racing, ALL Pro Races, Busch league, arca and truck racing. The local home tracks are closing faster than I have ever seen. Stock car racing lost a generation or more of drivers when Winston pulled out on the short tracks and then all of the other sponsors followed suite. Once those generation is lost you don't get them back they have moved on to something else. Local short track racing is straggling by and it's all but under. In SC alone in the Chas area we had 3 tracks, Conway had 1, Columbia had 1, gaff net, timmonsville, myrtle beach and I know dozens more but most of those tracks are gone. I do think Brian does not know how to fix it and Jim Hunter (deceased) had he lived may have been able but I don't think so. NW, Rock, Bristol, darling ton rtc those were the money tracks back a good while a go. Maybe they should restart those tracks to see if they can pull the people back in. See if the still have it in their blood

I came from the short tracks in SC. I worked with one of the best drivers ever, Charles Powell III (CP3)

Let me relay my experience in 1986 when I went to my first race in Darlington vs. my last race in 2014 in Bristol.

1986-I was a student at Francis Marion with a very limited entertainment budget and just looking for a good place to party for the weekend. Me and 3 of my friends decided to go to Darlington. We went in Thursday morning when they opened the gates to the tunnel under the track and came out Monday afternoon when we arose from 4+ days of drinking. Cost? $10 dollars for the pickup truck we were in and $20 per head for the whole weekend! We came with a few coolers, food, a grill, a keg of beer, and sleeping bags. Total cost per person for the whole weekend was less than $100.00 a piece.

2014-I was making pretty good money but I still had a budget. No camping this time. Me and one other couple rented a cabin for the weekend up on Roan Mountain about a 45 minute drive from the track. We had beds, a hot tub, and an incredible view. Cost? $230 per night for the cabin, $100 a piece for tickets to the race, about $150 a piece for food, and that did not include alchohol. Total price tag for the weekend? about $600 per person once gas for the trip was bought (that cost did not include souveniers at the track for those that decided to buy them).

My point is, back in the 80's and early 90's I could afford to go to 4-6 races a year because they were all within reasonable driving distance and it did not cost an arm and a leg to make it happen. And yes...the racing was much better back then, and the drivers had personalities. Dale Earnhardt, Davey Allison, Rusty Wallace, Darrell Waltrip, Jeff Gordon, Jimmy Spencer....I could go on and on with the list of drivers that you could relate to. Todays Drivers are just too buttoned up and afraid of the negative press and losing a sponsor if they even step a little bit over the line. I was a Dale Earnhardt #3 fan back in the day and NASCAR died with him. When he died it left a really bad taste in my mouth, and I have not been able to enjoy it the same way since. NASCAR has not been the same since he died and I doubt they will ever get back what they had back then.

Sport is fading fast. Ratings are falling. Ticket prices are rising. Corporate America had an infatuation with NASCAR when FOX came on the scene. They are over that now. FOX forced a lot of the local people who had been so loyal to NASCAR out at the tracks. Now they are paying the price. What goes around comes around. A lot of the core base has left the sport. It's just not the same anymore. Like already mentioned...have faded out some of the southern local tracks. Bruton Smith is responsible for a lot of that. Things have been fading ever since Bill France passed away. Lots of empty seats at all the tracks.
FOX forced people out??? What?? Bruton did what to force people out? By building the most fan friendly tracks on the circuit?

Let me relay my experience in 1986 when I went to my first race in Darlington vs. my last race in 2014 in Bristol.

1986-I was a student at Francis Marion with a very limited entertainment budget and just looking for a good place to party for the weekend. Me and 3 of my friends decided to go to Darlington. We went in Thursday morning when they opened the gates to the tunnel under the track and came out Monday afternoon when we arose from 4+ days of drinking. Cost? $10 dollars for the pickup truck we were in and $20 per head for the whole weekend! We came with a few coolers, food, a grill, a keg of beer, and sleeping bags. Total cost per person for the whole weekend was less than $100.00 a piece.

2014-I was making pretty good money but I still had a budget. No camping this time. Me and one other couple rented a cabin for the weekend up on Roan Mountain about a 45 minute drive from the track. We had beds, a hot tub, and an incredible view. Cost? $230 per night for the cabin, $100 a piece for tickets to the race, about $150 a piece for food, and that did not include alchohol. Total price tag for the weekend? about $600 per person once gas for the trip was bought (that cost did not include souveniers at the track for those that decided to buy them).

My point is, back in the 80's and early 90's I could afford to go to 4-6 races a year because they were all within reasonable driving distance and it did not cost an arm and a leg to make it happen. And yes...the racing was much better back then, and the drivers had personalities. Dale Earnhardt, Davey Allison, Rusty Wallace, Darrell Waltrip, Jeff Gordon, Jimmy Spencer....I could go on and on with the list of drivers that you could relate to. Todays Drivers are just too buttoned up and afraid of the negative press and losing a sponsor if they even step a little bit over the line. I was a Dale Earnhardt #3 fan back in the day and NASCAR died with him. When he died it left a really bad taste in my mouth, and I have not been able to enjoy it the same way since. NASCAR has not been the same since he died and I doubt they will ever get back what they had back then.
Understand but has any successful business charged the same price as when they started?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT