ADVERTISEMENT

130,000 Empty Seats at Bristol Yesterday....

You do know Bobby started a series for his Allison boys. Davey's son races in it. I don't know the weekend yet, but brings the series to timmonsville speedway. If you are interested I'll let you know
Allison legacy series was started by Donnie. Robbie is racing now in the limited late model series at different tracks. My buddy Lorin Ranier whos dad gave Davey his first shot in Cup racing is helping him now. Thanks for the heads up on Timmonsville.

No, I was just trying to do a comparison. I do still enjoy NASCAR just not as much as I used to for many reasons. Cost to attend live events is just one. As I said; for me personally, a lot of it has to do with the loss of #3. It just will never be the same for me.

All that said, I recently moved to Boston after spending 38 years of my life in South Carolina. I look forward to being able to see some races at tracks I never had access to before. New Hampshire, Dover, Pocono and Watkins Glen are now on my bucket list.

No, I was just trying to do a comparison. I do still enjoy NASCAR just not as much as I used to for many reasons. Cost to attend live events is just one. As I said; for me personally, a lot of it has to do with the loss of #3. It just will never be the same for me.

All that said, I recently moved to Boston after spending 38 years of my life in South Carolina. I look forward to being able to see some races at tracks I never had access to before. New Hampshire, Dover, Pocono and Watkins Glen are now on my bucket list.
New Hampshire is a great track and not really a bad seat for a 1 mile track like Dover. Our crew used to stay in Boston after the race and flew out the next day. Takes about and hour and a half to get there from Boston. If you go to NH be sure to take in the Modified race.

Reactions: biggs#
I am going to try to get to New Hampshire this season and work on the rest over the next few years. Thanks for the advice on the modified's. I miss seeing them on some of the small dirt tracks in the south.

Cake Yarborough
Bobby Allison
Buddy Baker
Richard Petty
David Pearson
James Hylton
Bobby Isaac
David Parsons
Benny Parsons
Darrell Waltrip
AJ Foyt

Some of the greatest names in NASCAR history. And the cars were distinguishable, had character, and were simply assume...not bland antiseptic copies of each other.

Great answer.

Poor USC-1.........he's losing the debate but he's giving a heisman-worthy effort.

Reactions: LAST MANGO
The most skilled athletes comments is a classic...At the top level of all professional sports the top guys are crazy skilled and gifted no matter the sport, but to say that NASCAR has the most skilled to me is a joke, unless you are negating athletic ability as part of this equation (although, yes, i know it takes a toll physically driving the cars)

Can we please stop the soccer nonsense. They average 21,000 in 75,000 seat stadiums, tv ratings are abysmal for MLS.

Worlds best athletes, please. They are in good shape but to call them the worlds best athletes is absurd. Guy runs down field kicks ball 20 yards wide of net and announcers and fans holler, "great run." Let a guy dribble down court and throw up air ball and see how much excitement that creates.

Soccer is popular in US about every 4 years. It is a spoiled sport for spoiled kids with spoiled parents. Don't believe it, go attend a hs soccer match or a club soccer match.

Many of the MLS teams do not play in 75000 seat stadiums....

MLS is a very fast growing league.

Soccer will pass baseball in America within 20 years.

The leadership of the sport has finally started to show signs of opening up their eyes this year with the new rules package for the cars.

The low downforce package has improved racing a good bit this year and they are also working on a car that makes the body the same on both sides instead of the way it is now with the passenger side being nearly flat. This will reduce aero dependence even more. They are also looking into putting some more of the power back into the cars.

These changes should make it more about the drivers than the aero package and the engineers in the shop.

We will see if it is too late for this or not.

IMO they also need to remove races from some of these cookie cutter tracks and move them to other places like maybe Road Atlanta or some of the old short tracks that are now gone.

NASCAR is one sport that is better in person than on TV... in fact any kind of racing is better in person whether machine, animal or human.

I dont care for soccer or nascar....my list would go- USC football, Redskins, USC men's hoops, USC baseball, NCAA tourney, other NFL teams with QB's like Rodgers, Brady ect, Panthers....no longer watch Braves. Just cant fit 'em in any more....but NASCAR? Could care less...same with soccer.

Thanks for caring.

Great answer.

Poor USC-1.........he's losing the debate but he's giving a heisman-worthy effort.
You act like that little dog in the cartoon that ran around the big dog acting all tough lol
There is no winning or losing since its all subjective but if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy go with it.

I'm not sure why you decided to disparage the world's most popular sport, which provides almost literally non stop action and features the most skilled athletes in the world. But I suspect the issue with car racing is that it's car racing. Not even real car racing in this instance, but restricted car racing mostly on oval tracks. As a sport, it was always going to run its course and settle on a small following anyway.

No way you believe that.

You know when you're watching Real Madrid or Barcelona or Bayern Munich that you are absolutely, without question watching the world's most skilled athletes. You can't say that about any NFL or NBA or MLB. You might want to say you're watching America's most skilled athletes, and if your point of view is so limited that's where you stop... then maybe broaden your horizons. If you think that some wide receiver for the Panthers is more skilled than Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, who literally have to compete with tens of millions of more people to be the best in their sport, then you are beyond reason.

You seem to be misquoting me. I didn't say that a typical NFL wide receiver was a better athlete than a typical premier leaguer; I said that I wasn't going to make that comparison. But since you did make the comparison as a retort to my comment, I'll respond. The USA has the best athletes of any country in the world. The evidence of that can be seen in the medal count of every summer olympics. And the USA wins those medals in sports in which the best athletes aren't even competing. The best athletes go where the money goes, which is basketball, football, and baseball in the US. So we're dominating the Olympics against countries that put a premium on the "olympic sports" and we're still beating them.

Messi and Ronaldo are great athletes no doubt. But I can't say they're "better" than the best US professional athletes. Look at Lebron. That guy is incredible and he's over a foot taller than Messi as well. Who's the better athlete? I don't know. Is Messi better than Calvin Johnson? Who knows. Messi had to compete against a lot of people to get to where he is, but so did your typical NFLer. The NFLer did it against the best athletes in the US. Messi did it against the best athletes in South America and part of the EU and Africa and Asia. Is that more impressive than what a typical NFL player does? Could Messi have made it in the NFL or NBA? Who knows.

Somebody explain to me how this thread morphed from a comment about the attendance at a NASCAR race in Bristol to a pissing contest between the soccer hoodlums and NFL meatheads! The debate about who has the better athlete is pointless, and highly subjective based on what sport you like best, and what part of the world you live in. Trying to compare athletes across different sports, and even different era's in the same sport, is just dumb. You might as well be a dog chasing it's tail! There are Elite athletes in every sport and there is no possible valid test you can apply to determine who is better. Cant we all just agree that sports are fun and we like them for different reasons?

It has gone from racin' to racing.
Bingo! We have a winner. Cale used to say "Yeah, Saturday night I won the race AND the fight." As a sales manager for Goody's and BC I took The King to a myriad of dinners and social gatherings, not to mention races during the 80s and 90s. Believe me I saw the sport change into what it is today and its not the same. Having said all that, what major sport is the same today as it was in the 80s?

NASCAR has been supported by Middle Class forever. The Middle class is squeezed so tight, they no longer have the resources to go To NASCAR races. The Middle Class is now lower class that can barely make ends meet, let alone spend hundreds to attend a Race..

You are correct. The middle class is getting screwed everywhere. I have income above 6 figures and good credit., but because I am self employed, I cannot refinance my home. Then I see where people who have no job at all get loans. Then we wonder why there are so many default mortgages.

TV Numbers are in for Bristol and over 5.5 Million people tuned in making it the most watched sporting event of the weekend. Thats over everything, NBA, MLB and Soccer

TV Numbers are in for Bristol and over 5.5 Million people tuned in making it the most watched sporting event of the weekend. Thats over everything, NBA, MLB and Soccer
Individual games in the NBA and the MLB or the games combined? I would be surprised that the MLB games combined didn't draw more than 5.5 million viewers. Same with NBA.

Individual games in the NBA and the MLB or the games combined? I would be surprised that the MLB games combined didn't draw more than 5.5 million viewers. Same with NBA.
It was the most watched Sporting event of the weekend.

It was the most watched Sporting event of the weekend.
Event....one race for race fans to watch. Tons of baseball games for fans to watch. Not a good comparison. If a stockcar race beats out a World Series game...then it is a good comparison.

Event....one race for race fans to watch. Tons of baseball games for fans to watch. Not a good comparison. If a stockcar race beats out a World Series game...then it is a good comparison.
Bottom line and the point is NASCAR isnt dead and not going anywhere like some people think. Its a Major player in sports and has more Fortune 500 companies involved the any other sport in the Country.

Bottom line and the point is NASCAR isnt dead and not going anywhere like some people think. Its a Major player in sports and has more Fortune 500 companies involved the any other sport in the Country.
I never said it was a dead sport....I just said it's not as enjoyable and interesting to watch today as it was in the seventies. Personal preference. And I definitely don't believe it is more popular than MLB and, even though I don't care for it or watch it anymore, the NBA.

Dont have t believe me. Here ya go. From Sports Business

http://www.sportbusiness.com/directory/nascar
You keep going to "Event." A baseball game is an "event." Three baseball games are three "events." There is one "event" for NASCAR each weekend. How many "events" each weekend are there for baseball? You are comparing apples to oranges. A race fan ONLY has ONE "event" each weekend to watch. A baseball fan has several "events" each weekend to watch.

You keep going to "Event." A baseball game is an "event." Three baseball games are three "events." There is one "event" for NASCAR each weekend. How many "events" each weekend are there for baseball? You are comparing apples to oranges. A race fan ONLY has ONE "event" each weekend to watch. A baseball fan has several "events" each weekend to watch.
What part of this do you not understand?

. NASCAR is the No. 1 spectator sport - holding 17 of the top 20 highest attended sporting events in the U.S., and is the No. 2 rated regular-season sport on television.

What part of this do you not understand?

. NASCAR is the No. 1 spectator sport - holding 17 of the top 20 highest attended sporting events in the U.S., and is the No. 2 rated regular-season sport on television.
But it doesn't say what criteria they used to determine the rating. The article was talking about "events", so a reasonable assumption would be that is what they used to determine that rating. Show me a report that says NASCAR has more viewers than the NFL games combined, the MLB games combined, or the NBA games combined.

But it doesn't say what criteria they used to determine the rating. The article was talking about "events", so a reasonable assumption would be that is what they used to determine that rating. Show me a report that says NASCAR has more viewers than the NFL games combined, the MLB games combined, or the NBA games combined.
lol. Its right in front of your eyes. #2 rated sport on TV. Damn son

Sports Business clealry states its season long which is exactly what you were talking about. Not events
It also limits it to regular season. I'd be willing to bet that they considered all of the NASCAR races "regular" season. Like I said, they have to explain their numbers (which they don't). Looking at a large list of individual events and each ones TV viewership, shows that at least in that larger sampling, NASCAR is behind the NFL, college football and MLB.

It also limits it to regular season. I'd be willing to bet that they considered all of the NASCAR races "regular" season. Like I said, they have to explain their numbers (which they don't). Looking at a large list of individual events and each ones TV viewership, shows that at least in that larger sampling, NASCAR is behind the NFL, college football and MLB.
ok. Whatever dude.We can argue this 10 different ways. Bottom line, contrary what was said in this thread earlier not by you but others, this is a Major Sport and its not going away.

I get more then you can comprehend. Enjoy the race sunday lol

I won't be watching, just like 95% of the rest of the time. You still don't get it, even though it's right in front of you. You're the only one in this entire thread posting on the "side" you're posting on, yet somehow we're still wrong. That's exactly what I said in my original comment, that people who work for Nascar just don't get it and don't want to really listen to and believe what the public has to say, even those of us who watched it from a toddler's age. We're just wrong, no matter that we're the paying customer and the seats are empty, we're just wrong. The numbers continue to decline, even TV, but we're wrong.

I won't be watching, just like 95% of the rest of the time. You still don't get it, even though it's right in front of you. You're the only one in this entire thread posting on the "side" you're posting on, yet somehow we're still wrong. That's exactly what I said in my original comment, that people who work for Nascar just don't get it and don't want to really listen to and believe what the public has to say, even those of us who watched it from a toddler's age. We're just wrong, no matter that we're the paying customer and the seats are empty, we're just wrong. The numbers continue to decline, even TV, but we're wrong.
I dont change my positions because "im the only one in this thread" thats different. You dont like it, take off.

ok. Whatever dude.We can argue this 10 different ways. Bottom line, contrary what was said in this thread earlier not by you but others, this is a Major Sport and its not going away.

Is NASCAR really a sport? A traditional sport requires some type of physical ability and usually, if not always, pits men vs. men and women vs. women. NASCAR is an event, not a sport.

By the way, do NASCAR drivers wear diapers or do they just pee in their pants when nature calls? I'm sure you know.

Somebody explain to me how this thread morphed from a comment about the attendance at a NASCAR race in Bristol to a pissing contest between the soccer hoodlums and NFL meatheads! The debate about who has the better athlete is pointless, and highly subjective based on what sport you like best, and what part of the world you live in. Trying to compare athletes across different sports, and even different era's in the same sport, is just dumb. You might as well be a dog chasing it's tail! There are Elite athletes in every sport and there is no possible valid test you can apply to determine who is better. Cant we all just agree that sports are fun and we like them for different reasons?
True - for instance I consider bill dance a world class athlete

Is NASCAR really a sport? A traditional sport requires some type of physical ability and usually, if not always, pits men vs. men and women vs. women. NASCAR is an event, not a sport.

By the way, do NASCAR drivers wear diapers or do they just pee in their pants when nature calls? I'm sure you know.
Its obvious you have no idea what it takes to compete at the top level of sports. See, you are just an observer, a ticket buyer, a person who pays to watch others do things that only you could dream of. It matters not if you think its a sport. The important people do, the ones who understand competition and skill and strategy.

Over 8,000 posts and less then 100 likes. Says a lot about your personality. Have a great day!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT