ADVERTISEMENT

130,000 Empty Seats at Bristol Yesterday....

Its obvious you have no idea what it takes to compete at the top level of sports. See, you are just an observer, a ticket buyer, a person who pays to watch others do things that only you could dream of. It matters not if you think its a sport. The important people do, the ones who understand competition and skill and strategy.

Over 8,000 posts and less then 100 likes. Says a lot about your personality. Have a great day!!
Lol o come on dude nobody cares about getting "likes".

I'm assuming you've never seen a soccer match and are just regurgitating some hot taek you heard once on local radio saying soccer is "boring."

To your primary point, Soccer has already taken its place as one of the most popular sports in this country and it will eclipse some of the more traditional sports sooner or later. There are two profitable professional US soccer leagues, both with TV deals. MLS averaged more than 21,000 fans a game last season-- that's more than the NBA. There are multiple teams in MLS that can and have put 40,000+ in the stadium for a game. All the major European leagues have significant TV deals in the US market. Hell, when Euro club teams come for friendly games in the US, they get 110,000 at Michigan in the big house. Soccer is here to stay my friend. All the indicators are rising, whereas NASCAR is falling. If soccer in the US was a stock, you'd buy.

Soccer is the most boring sport I have ever seen. It is an Unamerican waste of time, sissy sport. Its for the guys who could not make the football team.

Compared to other Major Sports. I know many that would take their vacations and go Camp in the infield, they have told me that their entertainment dollars are needed elsewhere, so i do think their fan base (Generally middle to lower class) has been hit hard by the Obama economy... But fro me personally, I wouldnt go if you gave me tickets, but that is just me.. I have been to Darlington, Daytona, Charlotte, Old Rockingham and Bristol.. But i would probably still choose Charlotte All-Star race (Old Winston) over an NBA game. I had Hornets season tickets before they even had a team, we were there for every game.. I could not care less about NBA right now, but it is still popular... Maybe NASCAR did a bad job of encouraging the youth, and now their fan base is getting "A little too old" to deal with it.. In other words, NASCAR fans are getting older, maybe, NASCAR didnt do as good a job of getting Youth involved say 15 years ago.

There is great book about Nascar beginnings called: Driving With The Devil. The original idea was to race name brand cars against each other. The wiskey runners supped up their cars to out run the law. After they ran their whiskey into Atlanta from north Georgia, they would go out of the town and brag, their car could outrun yours. It answered the questions could an Oldsmobile out run a Ford of a Chevy? They lost me a long time ago, when name brands of cars became unimportant.

USC-1 what series does the team you work for run? Also, what manufacturer do you guys support? You do not have to name the team you work for, if you do not want to. I'm just curious as a fan.Thanks in advance for your responses.

Wow. I am so glad I came over to see what was going on with USC and found this. USC-1 makes some very valid points, and yes I watched the race today. Everybody has valid points on why nascar pissed them off. From pricing to where the drivers are from. I used to be a valet parker at a very nice hotel in the Disney area in my younger days. (80s) Alot of stars from the nfl to nascar used to stay there. I have been to multiple tracks many times. My favorite was to sit in the wooden bleachers on the back stretch in Daytona. Yes I was there for the Waltrip flips. But I always wanted to go to Bristol. Finally I got a connection and awesome parking. Then they changed the track in Bristol, I hated it. Kentucky finally got a race, I thought it was awesome and couldn't believe what I was watching. By the way, When I parked Bobby Allisons Red Ford Grenada at the hotel I was a king that day. Probably need to go, I could go on and on.

Its obvious you have no idea what it takes to compete at the top level of sports. See, you are just an observer, a ticket buyer, a person who pays to watch others do things that only you could dream of. It matters not if you think its a sport. The important people do, the ones who understand competition and skill and strategy.

Over 8,000 posts and less then 100 likes. Says a lot about your personality. Have a great day!!

Feel better now? From NASCAR Hall of Famer and now a shrink. Bless your little heart.

I watched the race today in Richmond and for the first time in a while, I was very entertained. Multiple racing grooves meant good side by side racing and some 3 and even 4 wide stuff on the restarts. There were a lot of long green flag runs, so there was a lot of coming and going because some cars were good on the short run and crap on the long run and vise versa. All of that and an outstanding finish with Carl Edwards driving it in deep on the bottom on the last lap to bump teammate Kyle Busch out of the way for the win.

I am a long time fan of NASCAR but not as much as I used to be for many reasons already discussed. That said, if we could get more races like I saw today...they could pull me back in!

TV Numbers are in for Bristol and over 5.5 Million people tuned in making it the most watched sporting event of the weekend. Thats over everything, NBA, MLB and Soccer

participationtrophy-jpg.67707

I won't be watching, just like 95% of the rest of the time. You still don't get it, even though it's right in front of you. You're the only one in this entire thread posting on the "side" you're posting on, yet somehow we're still wrong. That's exactly what I said in my original comment, that people who work for Nascar just don't get it and don't want to really listen to and believe what the public has to say, even those of us who watched it from a toddler's age. We're just wrong, no matter that we're the paying customer and the seats are empty, we're just wrong. The numbers continue to decline, even TV, but we're wrong.

I concur.

Soccer is the most boring sport I have ever seen. It is an Unamerican waste of time, sissy sport. Its for the guys who could not make the football team.

Yeah! America!

Clown show.

70 percent of the Players in the NFL are black. Blacks; who make up about 13 percent of the American population. So you're talking about a tiny fraction of the world's population aspiring to, and with a real chance to play, football at the highest level.But I guess American black people are the only elite althetes in the world and everyone else is just playing a sissy sport.

Yeah! America!

Clown show.

70 percent of the Players in the NFL are black. Blacks; who make up about 13 percent of the American population. So you're talking about a tiny fraction of the world's population aspiring to, and with a real chance to play, football at the highest level.But I guess American black people are the only elite althetes in the world and everyone else is just playing a sissy sport.

Curling is not a sissy sport. It takes skill

Curling is not a sissy sport. It takes skill

There's a good debate. What takes more skill, NASCAR or Curling?

Look, Football requires the weakest combination of athletic ability, coordination and mental acuity of all the major sports. Most of the players never even interact with the ball and it features as much standing around as baseball.

America's most well rounded and skilled athletes are almost certainly playing basketball... Which is the American sport that has the most significant requirement for total athletic skill.

There's a good debate. What takes more skill, NASCAR or Curling?

Look, Football requires the weakest combination of athletic ability, coordination and mental acuity of all the major sports. Most of the players never even interact with the ball and it features as much standing around as baseball.

America's most well rounded and skilled athletes are almost certainly playing basketball... Which is the American sport that has the most significant requirement for total athletic skill.

Dude, Im with you. But its hard to change the opinions of a bunch of country boys, who think Soccer is stupid.

They just dont get it. Its very frustrating to try to argue that Soccer is a great sport with skilled athletes. Even when 98% of the world agrees with you

Dude, Im with you. But its hard to change the opinions of a bunch of country boys, who think Soccer is stupid.

They just dont get it. Its very frustrating to try to argue that Soccer is a great sport with skilled athletes. Even when 98% of the world agrees with you
Right. Soccer isnt popular in the US because of country boys.

Event....one race for race fans to watch. Tons of baseball games for fans to watch. Not a good comparison. If a stockcar race beats out a World Series game...then it is a good comparison.

Daytona 500 viewership and World Series Viewership has been about equal for the past 5 years.

Didnt say anybody cared. But it is indicative of how much people respect your opinion, dude.

not really on websites "like" or "thumbs up" or "upvote" systems tend to be more of a sign of who goes along wtih the trend or the current circlejerk.

The economy is not good, despite what some might say. People cannot afford all these high prices for sports events. At the end of the day, it is just entertainment! Look at the USC vs. UNC game in Charlotte last year. I heard that ticket prices were high. Look in the stands. Many from both fan bases stayed home. We don't need more Charlotte games. It is just a rip off of fans!

not really on websites "like" or "thumbs up" or "upvote" systems tend to be more of a sign of who goes along wtih the trend or the current circlejerk.
No its an agreement of opinion, not a sign of "going along".

Well I'll throw this against the wall..
"Stock Cars"? not. All the cars are shop built tube frame cookie cutters with Ford Chevrolet or Toyota stickers on them. My brother in law was a Busch series crew chief for many years told me the only part of the car from the factories is the engine crank and they highly modify those.
The drivers of today are corporate pretty boys who say whatever their media reps tell them to say. The "racing" is so boring the when monotony sets in you can bet on a fantom caution flag. Agressive driving or fighting gets drivers fined then NASCAR turns around and uses the film from the incidents in promotions.
I once followed the sport religiously, then occasionally, then rarely, now I couldn't tell you who won the Daytona 500 if my life depended on it. To each his own. But for me, boring is boring.

Reactions: rogue cock
"Stock Cars"? not. All the cars are shop built tube frame cookie cutters with Ford Chevrolet or Toyota stickers on them. My brother in law was a Busch series crew chief for many years told me the only part of the car from the factories is the engine crank and they highly modify those.
The drivers of today are corporate pretty boys who say whatever their media reps tell them to say. The "racing" is so boring the when monotony sets in you can bet on a fantom caution flag. Agressive driving or fighting gets drivers fined then NASCAR turns around and uses the film from the incidents in promotions.
I once followed the sport religiously, then occasionally, then rarely, now I couldn't tell you who won the Daytona 500 if my life depended on it. To each his own. But for me, boring is boring.

Enter USC-1 in five....four....three.....two.....one....

The cars havent been stock since the early 70's if not before that. Just curious, i hear people say all the time that racing now is boring compared to back in the day. Clarify for me what you considered good racing back then and what is different today. I'm not talking driver personality or the sanctioning body, I mean the cars on the track, whats different that made you quit watching?

The cars havent been stock since the early 70's if not before that. Just curious, i hear people say all the time that racing now is boring compared to back in the day. Clarify for me what you considered good racing back then and what is different today. I'm not talking driver personality or the sanctioning body, I mean the cars on the track, whats different that made you quit watching?

I will bite on this one. For me it started with the "Car of tomorrow". In the 80's and 90's when I enjoyed the sport the most it was "win on sunday, sell cars on monday". We all know that "stock cars" have not been stock since the 70's, but at least back in the day, the cars actually resembled the car you found on the showroom floor. But that has nothing to do with racing other than the way they look. The only thing they did right with the COT was the safety elements they introduced in response to the death of #3.

The biggest problem with the COT was the changes that occurred in aerodynamics. Aero push and aero tight completeley changed the way the cars drove. It made it much harder to do side by side racing and became a lot more follow the leader racing and wait for a mistake. Once a guy got out front in "clean air" he could open up a huge gap that only the "phanton caution" could close. Then, on the restart, a guy that had been behind by half a track before the caution could take the lead and open a similar gap. It became more about the car engineers and less about the driver skill because of the changes they made to the COT. It has gotten much better, but it is still a long way from getting back to what it was before the COT. That coupled with the 1.5 mile cookie cutter tracks that were springing up everywhere and the move away from unique tracks like N. Wilkesboro, Rockingham, Darlington, and others. I cant speak for others but those are the reasons for me that the racing is not as good.

Reactions: rogue cock
I will bite on this one. For me it started with the "Car of tomorrow". In the 80's and 90's when I enjoyed the sport the most it was "win on sunday, sell cars on monday". We all know that "stock cars" have not been stock since the 70's, but at least back in the day, the cars actually resembled the car you found on the showroom floor. But that has nothing to do with racing other than the way they look. The only thing they did right with the COT was the safety elements they introduced in response to the death of #3.

The biggest problem with the COT was the changes that occurred in aerodynamics. Aero push and aero tight completeley changed the way the cars drove. It made it much harder to do side by side racing and became a lot more follow the leader racing and wait for a mistake. Once a guy got out front in "clean air" he could open up a huge gap that only the "phanton caution" could close. Then, on the restart, a guy that had been behind by half a track before the caution could take the lead and open a similar gap. It became more about the car engineers and less about the driver skill because of the changes they made to the COT. It has gotten much better, but it is still a long way from getting back to what it was before the COT. That coupled with the 1.5 mile cookie cutter tracks that were springing up everywhere and the move away from unique tracks like N. Wilkesboro, Rockingham, Darlington, and others. I cant speak for others but those are the reasons for me that the racing is not as good.

I HATED the COT. It looked stupid and made racing a complete joke. Thank goodness it's gone. I miss N Wilkesboro, and Rockingham.

And even more nascar horsecrap. Today's Busch race at talladega. Rewarding a car that was about 5th to the finish line the win because of their stupid new age rules. I'm so satisfied they don't get a dime from me anymore. Poole won that race, at least, the way racing was intended....you know, first to the finish line and all.

And even more nascar horsecrap. Today's Busch race at talladega. Rewarding a car that was about 5th to the finish line the win because of their stupid new age rules. I'm so satisfied they don't get a dime from me anymore. Poole won that race, at least, the way racing was intended....you know, first to the finish line and all.
lol

USC-1 what series does the team you work for run? Also, what manufacturer do you guys support? You do not have to name the team you work for, if you do not want to. I'm just curious as a fan.Thanks in advance for your responses.
Cup Series. Right now Chevrolet.Never know in the future though. ;)

Yeah! America!

Clown show.

It is what it is. Football is, by far, Americas number one sport. I really think the roots of its popularity come from the way the US has sovereign states with local pride. That was a common bond in the college sport. The NFL is more of a city sport but still can claim that intercity loyalty. Thinking about NASCAR, by making the auto manufacturers irrelevant; it seems we have been pushed to identify with the individual drivers. Surely they don't expect us to identify with Papa Johns Pizza or Home Depot. In the early days it was easy because you drove a ford, you were a Ford man, and your favorite drivers drove Fords. Curtis Truner drove a Ford, Fireball Roberts drove a Chevy. Etc.

Why does anyone watch any sport? Because they CARE about the people participating. When people stop caring about the participants, people stop attending, watching, etc.

I grew up a NASCAR fan (80's and 90's), as did all my friends. As others have said, when the group started moving away from its southern roots and personalities people, in the South, at least, stopped caring.

Every single driver in today's circuit is a vanilla, cookie-cutter version of the previous one. There are no real personalities...just marketing strategies and sound bytes.

I don't follow the sport at all any more...lost all interest.

Why does anyone watch any sport? Because they CARE about the people participating. When people stop caring about the participants, people stop attending, watching, etc.

I grew up a NASCAR fan (80's and 90's), as did all my friends. As others have said, when the group started moving away from its southern roots and personalities people, in the South, at least, stopped caring.

Every single driver in today's circuit is a vanilla, cookie-cutter version of the previous one. There are no real personalities...just marketing strategies and sound bytes.

I don't follow the sport at all any more...lost all interest.
How do you know anything about the personalities if you dont follow the sport anymore?

Reactions: clemtiger117
How do you know anything about the personalities if you dont follow the sport anymore?

There's a recent invention called ESPN and local news....they sometimes mention it.

Would you consider this, "following?"

Its probably losing popularity for the same reason baseball is...
this generation of fans literally cant sit still for over 3 hours to watch a sport.
Its not gonna happen, no matter what they do.

Its not worth it to people to wait for those few "moments" of excitement during a race and or baseball game

Football can drag on but at least your getting something new every 35 seconds. Basketball is non-stop as well as soccer and hockey.

So, when they shorten races I think they will see increased viewership. Maybe do those quick races like they do at Daytona , with heats etc.... idk, its just too long and boring for 20-30 somethings to sit down and watch

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT