ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2022 WBB Team

Beating Stanford

• Will be much easier if Henny plays. The offense will function much smoother.
No slow ball movement, better transition offense, Henny is shooting 50% from 3, her threat will open up Cooke for better 3s and benefit both in their slashes to the hoop.

•Both games Stanford lost they only scored in the 50s. They can be defended. USF and Texas both played man to man and forced tough shots and turnovers.
USF pounded them on the boards but let Brink score 23. UT got beat badly on the boards but held Brink to 5 points. They did that by denying her the ball.
Stanford is like us in that they have 7 or 8 players that can beat you on any night.
We have the size and 10 fouls to neutralize Brink.
With Beal, Grissett, Amihere, Hall, and Rivers we have the length to defend their size. We can rotate enough of them to shut down Lexi Hull and Jones.
Who worries me is Belibi and Prechtel. Prechtel cannot be allowed the 3. I imagine we see a lot of pick and roll/pop with her and Jones when she is in the game. Belibi did not play against UT but she is a physical beast. She reminds me of
Aleighsa Welch.
Stanford does not have a true PG. They mainly use Jones and at times Wilson. They have more TOs than assists. I don’t think either one can stand up for 40 minutes.

• On offense, they do not have anyone who can stop Boston. Brink is not strong enough and is foul prone. Prechtel has height and size, but is a step slow. Belibi is physical enough but only6’1”
Will Stanford go man or zone or both?
We make 5 or more 3s and this game is over.

Well maybe more later but work calls

DePaul beat UK, lost to Arizona by 9 and lost to A&M by 20.
They have no one over 6’1” that plays any minutes.

I am enjoying watching UCONN lose and don’t believe Bueckers makes it back this year.

Bu even with just the 6 player rotation they used Sunday they win conference undefeated and make elite 8 or final 4.
I need to see consistency before I come to that conclusion. If Ducharme doesn't have the night she has this could easily been a blow out. Too many players keep disappearing and bring underwhelming performance on that team. I think undersized DePaul could give this current UConn team a run for their money.

Matchup
i
i
FG24-6725-60
Field Goal %35.841.7
3PT9-205-8
Three Point %45.062.5
FT8-1211-12
Free Throw %66.791.7
Rebounds4036
Offensive Rebounds2217
Defensive Rebounds1819
Assists911
Steals67
Blocks512
Total Turnovers1112
Fouls1515
Technical Fouls00
Largest Lead99

Matchup
i
i
FG24-6725-60
Field Goal %35.841.7
3PT9-205-8
Three Point %45.062.5
FT8-1211-12
Free Throw %66.791.7
Rebounds4036
Offensive Rebounds2217
Defensive Rebounds1819
Assists911
Steals67
Blocks512
Total Turnovers1112
Fouls1515
Technical Fouls00
Largest Lead99
What game are these stats from? Last year's NCAA?

Matchup
i
i
FG24-6725-60
Field Goal %35.841.7
3PT9-205-8
Three Point %45.062.5
FT8-1211-12
Free Throw %66.791.7
Rebounds4036
Offensive Rebounds2217
Defensive Rebounds1819
Assists911
Steals67
Blocks512
Total Turnovers1112
Fouls1515
Technical Fouls00
Largest Lead99
They had 12 blocks because they were able to play 2 bigs. The big guarding Saxton allowed her an open 12 foot shot from the basket. In effect, creating a double team on Boston/Amihere and clogging the lane.

I doubt Stanford will play two bigs this year, unless Haley Jones gets in foul trouble, because Dawn could counter by playing Boston and Cardoso at the same time. No opposing coach wants that, if they can avoid it.

The addition of Cardoso for this year's matchup with Stanford can't be overemphasized. First and foremost, Amihere is no longer the backup center, which allows her to guard Haley Jones. Understand this about Stanford: they have a lot of depth; Vanderbeer has a lot of chess pieces to work it. No doubt. But the queen is Haley Jones. She played 39 minutes against UT and the only reason she came out for a minute was because she was struggling to get back on defense. Otherwise, she was playing the whole game.

With Boston's increased range, I expect her to work out of the high post and Saxton/Amihere to post up Jones. I also expect us to pressure Jones when she brings the ball up court. The goal is to make her work as hard as possible.

*interesting note: When Tamari Key was on the court against Stanford, the Vols were +19. Stanford DESTROYED them when she wasn't. Boston and/or Cardoso will always be on the court tomorrow night (unless the officiating is completely out of control). That makes me feel optimistic.

🏀🏀Revenge Tour 2021-2022 🏀🏀continues

NCSU✔️6️⃣6️⃣➖5️⃣7️⃣
UCONN✔️7️⃣3️⃣➖5️⃣7️⃣
Stanford
Texas A&M
UCONN
Tennessee
Texas A&M

And in conjunction with the beat every active coach who has a national championship tour

Geno Auriemma ✔️
Brenda Frese ✔
Tara VanDeVeer
Kim Mulkey
Gary Blair

Not sure how to read this. Dawn could just be messy with the Stanford coaching staff and Henney starts and just plays reduced minutes. But I can't help but wonder if DS will brings her in when Anna Wilson comes in. Stanford has been starting a big lineup without a true point guard.

Let's go. I can't wait for this game.

In terms of the revenge tour - this one will be the last big one in my opinion (uconn part 2 - yeah whatever). It's not uncommon to lose games in conference time.....really who knows you better.

Ole Miss is 12-1...take note. 11 game win streak for them. South Fl is a good team - great win for them and also IUPUI.
Yes Ole Miss is 12-1 with a dreadful loss to Belmont and a SOS of #187. USF Is a good victory but the only other game they played against a top 50 team was #49 Texas Tech.
Think about this we have played six top 15 teams .... and S. Dak. is #22 and Buffalo yes Buffalo is 39in RPI.

Ole miss has talent but I’m in wait and see mode.

Observation about last night and going forward:

It was 21-13 at the end of the 1st quarter. Coach rested Boston to start the 2nd. The score was 30-15 when she reentered the game 2 minutes into the quarter.

During the conference season, Cardoso needs to work on her offensive game. If Boston gets in foul trouble during the tournament, we need to do better when Boston's not on the floor.

It would also help if Destanni looked for her shot more when Boston's out. She's shooting 48% from 3. FORTY EIGHT PERCENT. Her effective field goal percentage (which takes into account the added value of the 3 point shot) is 60%. She's a weapon.

I'm not saying Destanni could do what she did last night, every night. Stanford has had problems with athletic guards all season. But she could do enough to get through the minutes Boston isn't on the floor. Probably doesn't matter against most teams we play, but it will against elite competition.

Observation about last night and going forward:

It was 21-13 at the end of the 1st quarter. Coach rested Boston to start the 2nd. The score was 30-15 when she reentered the game 2 minutes into the quarter.

During the conference season, Cardoso needs to work on her offensive game. If Boston gets in foul trouble during the tournament, we need to do better when Boston's not on the floor.

It would also help if Destanni looked for her shot more when Boston's out. She's shooting 48% from 3. FORTY EIGHT PERCENT. Her effective field goal percentage (which takes into account the added value of the 3 point shot) is 60%. She's a weapon.

I'm not saying Destanni could do what she did last night, every night. Stanford has had problems with athletic guards all season. But she could do enough to get through the minutes Boston isn't on the floor. Probably doesn't matter against most teams we play, but it will against elite competition.
Excellent observation and recommendation

Reactions: DarkCock
Stats both reveal and lie.
If you look at National stats for points allowed, we are #14 at 51ppg allowed. This is great, but it doesn’t fully express how good we are defensively. We are #1 in blocked shots and rebound margin and #4 opposition field goal %.

Clearly the stats say we are great, but they don’t take into account style of play, quality of opposition. For example Ga. Tech is #1 in points allowed 45ppg BUT #249 in points scored with a SOS of #109. They just don’t have nearly as many possessions per game which depresses scoring and play a clearly lesser schedule.

Let’s look at how the top 6 teams we played fared against their season average

NCSU 57 points. -24 from season average
Oregon 63 points. -12
UConn 57 points. -13
Maryland 59 points. -22
Duke 46 points. -31
Stanford 61 points. -11

That’s an average of -19

In contrast we are -6 in scoring from our average against these teams

Last edited:
Yes Ole Miss is 12-1 with a dreadful loss to Belmont and a SOS of #187. USF Is a good victory but the only other game they played against a top 50 team was #49 Texas Tech.
Think about this we have played six top 15 teams .... and S. Dak. is #22 and Buffalo yes Buffalo is 39in RPI.

Ole miss has talent but I’m in wait and see mode.
Yes, that's the next step Coach Yo needs to take. Scheduling quality opponents. She can start with the mid-level - there are very good teams on that circuit. But of course, we'll beat Ole Miss. But it's not going to look like the past teams of old.

Yes, that's the next step Coach Yo needs to take. Scheduling quality opponents. She can start with the mid-level - there are very good teams on that circuit. But of course, we'll beat Ole Miss. But it's not going to look like the past teams of old.
I take back my remark about the Belmont loss. They had already played a game before Ole Miss. They are 58 in RPI with a SOS of 41. They have played Louisville, Ga Tech, Ark, and Auburn(Play a much tougher OOC than anybody in the SEC other than us and UT) They had a hot night and they have plenty of height to not get overwhelmed.

However I am still wait and see on them and most of the conference.

OOC SOS for the SEC was disappointing to embarrassing. After us and UT#11 the next highest SOS is Mizzou at #60. LSU, Ole Miss#187, Bama#195, Auburn#207 and Miss St #263 well, just pathetic.

I get that nobody wants to over schedule but a lot of teams were just win padding.
I think top 3 is us, UT, and UGA. 4-10 ???? It depends on matchups, where the game is, whose hot, whose hurt. 11-12 is UF and Bama both have played much better than I expected. Progress or Mirage? 13-14 Auburn and Vandy

Soooooo.......... Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Festivus for the rest of us, and Holiday Greetings. May the winter solstice bring back the sun for my pagan friends, joyous Bodhi day ( birthday of the Buddha’s enlightenment. Dec 8) and a gracious Kwanzaa.

No game for a week..... what do we talk about?

Politics??? HELL NO
Covid??? DOUBLE HELL NO

how about a mix.....

Favorite Christmas song. This year King and Country Little Drummer Boy and Sting’s Soul Cake

Worst Christmas Album EVER!! Bob Dylan’s 🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Funniest Christmas story

SEC OOC Awards
All Conference 8 players
COY
POY
DPOY
Biggest good/bad surprise in SEC
Who finishes 2-14
6th Woman
Player you want to see other than gamecock
SEC VILLIAN of the year

I'm looking forward to the conference season starting we can start sorting the contenders from the pretenders. It's hard to tell now because so many teams have played a sorry schedule. I'm glad Destanni had a moment on national television. Maybe she'll finally be recognized as all-conference.

It's hard to imagine a non-USC team having a conference record comparable to A&M's last season. Too many tournament teams for that to happen this season. I'm guessing the 2nd place team could have as many as 4 losses, unless Rae Burrell can return and take Tennessee to the next level.

I'm looking forward to seeing Shakira Austin and Ole Miss is a couple of weeks. That should be a game where Cardoso and possibly even Feagin can finally get some good minutes. We've been playing so many perimeter oriented teams (and another one in Mizzou coming up), that we haven't been able to play BIG since the K State game.

Reactions: Gamekem
I'm looking forward to the conference season starting we can start sorting the contenders from the pretenders. It's hard to tell now because so many teams have played a sorry schedule. I'm glad Destanni had a moment on national television. Maybe she'll finally be recognized as all-conference.

It's hard to imagine a non-USC team having a conference record comparable to A&M's last season. Too many tournament teams for that to happen this season. I'm guessing the 2nd place team could have as many as 4 losses, unless Rae Burrell can return and take Tennessee to the next level.

I'm looking forward to seeing Shakira Austin and Ole Miss is a couple of weeks. That should be a game where Cardoso and possibly even Feagin can finally get some good minutes. We've been playing so many perimeter oriented teams (and another one in Mizzou coming up), that we haven't been able to play BIG since the K State game.
I think conference play will be the time for our Freshman and Cardoso to really shine and get some serious playing time. It will also be a chance to improve our offense and increase our rotational player production. I think these next couple of months may be do or die for Russell and her future here. She has potential, but can she play smart enough to warrant decent playing time. I also believe Rivers having a monster game is coming in the near future.

Ole Miss has a lot of talent besides Austin tha nobody really knows about. But They have played such a weak OOC. How will they respond to Night in night out competition. I expected a much better game from them last year.

I think conference play will be the time for our Freshman and Cardoso to really shine and get some serious playing time. It will also be a chance to improve our offense and increase our rotational player production. I think these next couple of months may be do or die for Russell and her future here. She has potential, but can she play smart enough to warrant decent playing time. I also believe Rivers having a monster game is coming in the near future.
This is my sentiment as well. I think the secondary purpose of our SEC schedule should be to get the backups ready for the tournament. I'm hoping we can be in control of many games by halftime so we can sub out the starters for the majority of the second half.

Reactions: Gamekem
We've had an amazing 3 games stretch against ranked opponents, without Destanni for 2 games and Zia not having a good game in any of the 3. Going forward I think we could see some competition for minutes at guard, if Zia doesn't starting playing better. We need her to start scoring. Brea can shoot 2 of 10 from the field and still be an asset because she's a shutdown defender, fierce rebounder and she doesn't turn the ball over very much. That's not always the case for Zia, depending on the matchup (she's on the small size for a wing). Dawn is not going to change the starting lineup, so Cooke will have plenty of opportunities to play her way out of her funk.

Destiny Littleton made a statement against Duke and Stanford for more playing time. I agree with you that Saniya Rivers is a breakout game away from demanding more minutes. It's clear from the Maryland game that coach likes her length as a defender; she just needs to get comfortable on the offensive end. The raw talent is visible. Russell and Hall will get minutes. Lele will get more minutes at wing as the season progresses. Of course Amihere is already getting minutes at guard.

In fairness to Zia, it should be pointed out that, in the absence of Henderson, coach decided to slow the place considerably to cut down on turnovers. Zia excels in the opens court, less so in the half court. Hopefully she can get going with Destanni pushing the pace more.

Stats both reveal and lie.
If you look at National stats for points allowed, we are #14 at 51ppg allowed. This is great, but it doesn’t fully express how good we are defensively. We are #1 in blocked shots and rebound margin and #4 opposition field goal %.

Clearly the stats say we are great, but they don’t take into account style of play, quality of opposition. For example Ga. Tech is #1 in points allowed 45ppg BUT #249 in points scored with a SOS of #109. They just don’t have nearly as many possessions per game which depresses scoring and play a clearly lesser schedule.

Let’s look at how the top 6 teams we played fared against their season average

NCSU 57 points. -24 from season average
Oregon 63 points. -12
UConn 57 points. -13
Maryland 59 points. -22
Duke 46 points. -31
Stanford 61 points. -11

That’s an average of -19

In contrast we are -6 in scoring from our average against these teams

To add to your point, we are #14 in points allowed, having played the #1 NET, #1 RPI, and the #2 SOS schedule (soon to be #1, once Connecticut starts playing its conference) schedule. A lot of other programs ahead of us in Scoring Defense haven't played on the radar of a tough schedule that we have played thus far.....

I take back my remark about the Belmont loss. They had already played a game before Ole Miss. They are 58 in RPI with a SOS of 41. They have played Louisville, Ga Tech, Ark, and Auburn(Play a much tougher OOC than anybody in the SEC other than us and UT) They had a hot night and they have plenty of height to not get overwhelmed.

However I am still wait and see on them and most of the conference.

OOC SOS for the SEC was disappointing to embarrassing. After us and UT#11 the next highest SOS is Mizzou at #60. LSU, Ole Miss#187, Bama#195, Auburn#207 and Miss St #263 well, just pathetic.

I get that nobody wants to over schedule but a lot of teams were just win padding.
I think top 3 is us, UT, and UGA. 4-10 ???? It depends on matchups, where the game is, whose hot, whose hurt. 11-12 is UF and Bama both have played much better than I expected. Progress or Mirage? 13-14 Auburn and Vandy
I just checked out Florida's standings. Did not know they are 10-3. Of course, things might change once SEC play starts. I'm sure the coaching change is the cause of that. Looking forward to seeing what Vandy looks like in SEC play. They almost beat ranked Arizona.

Yeah, MIss St is beyond sad right now.

Reactions: winloseortie
Yes, Russell's monster game is coming. I've been watching her since high school, and she just has to get those jitters out. I also see Feagin having her special moment during SEC play as well.

Sadly, if Russell's playing time does not increase, I think it will be time for her to move on. Things will not get better with Rivers coming alive and Cooper coming in

Yes, Russell's monster game is coming. I've been watching her since high school, and she just has to get those jitters out. I also see Feagin having her special moment during SEC play as well.

Sadly, if Russell's playing time does not increase, I think it will be time for her to move on. Things will not get better with Rivers coming alive and Cooper coming in
One of the great things about coach is she gives everyone a chance. Those minutes at the end of games matter. Just look at how Feagin has been getting 1st half minutes in some recent games.

Russell, unfortunately, came in late against Duke and proceeded to foul a 3 point shooter that gave Duke an opportunity at a 4 point play. That's the absolute worst play she could have made in that situation. It unlikely Dawn will trust her with 1st half minutes when she makes plays like that. It's a shame because the ability is there. Her decision making just needs to improve.

Someone else stated that Thompson is a great shooter. What makes anyone think that? She's 1 of 6 from the 3 point line. When she gets in the game, she has to capitalize on those minutes and makes shots. If she were draining 3's, coach would use her in end of quarter situations when we have the ball. But, unfortunately, she hasn't shown she can make them consistently yet.

Reactions: vacock#
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT