ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2022 WBB Team

I'm not positive but I believe the missing player could be Hall, if it's not her it's Russell. But glad to see Amihere back.

Boston is just a freaking beast. A woman among girls if you will. She's one rebound short of a double double at halftime. She's certain to reach her 11th straight game of double doubles today.

Reactions: 92Pony and Gamekem
The team is winning, but could be much better cleaning up turn overs, missed lay ups and missed defensive assignments. Sometimes Dawn needs to play zone whether she likes it or not. Playing like this won't get you a title.
Arkansas shot 28% from the field. Really did a great job keeping Ramirez in check. Why would we play zone?

Reactions: shiverz
The team is winning, but could be much better cleaning up turn overs, missed lay ups and missed defensive assignments. Sometimes Dawn needs to play zone whether she likes it or not. Playing like this won't get you a title.
Please help me with why DS should ever play zone against Ark?
They are an offense predicated on the 3. They have picked apart zones ever since Neighbors got there.
We held them 22 points under their season average. They shot 17-60 28% from the floor. 7-29 24% from 3pt! We out rebounded them by 20. You want to play a defense that is not our best D, to protect the inside against a team with no post presence, and gives them better outside shots and make it easier for them to rebound on the offensive glass. Please explain your rationale.

Cleaning up turnovers, God yes!! Making more shots... layups and jumpers, God yes!!

We gave up 16 points on turnovers, most of those live ball leading to fast breaks or scramble opportunities. Early on they were 5-12 on 3s. We,Dawn Staley, made adjustments and Arky finished 2-17 from 3.

Last edited:
Arkansas shot 28% from the field. Really did a great job keeping Ramirez in check. Why would we play zone?
To prevent guards from getting uncontested lay ups. Several teams have made it a point to do this. On better teams, they get beat a good deal. Just play a 1-3-1 to have it as part of your defensive play book.

To prevent guards from getting uncontested lay ups. Several teams have made it a point to do this. On better teams, they get beat a good deal. Just play a 1-3-1 to have it as part of your defensive play book.
Arkansas had 16 paint points..... 6 on fast breaks, 4 on offensive rebounds........ that means their set offense generated THREE yes 3 layups in 40 minutes. Try again.

I don't know about zone but Dawn should press more. Those two quick scores on the inbounds broke a tight game open.
I agree, but I think DS views the press as a surprise or when we are behind tactic. We have used it twice that I can think of this season; yesterday and second half against Stanford.

Did a little digging....The only possible open date we have is Sunday Feb 6. There are four other teams with open dates on the 6th; Ark, Aub, Miss St and.........Mizzou. It SHOULD be a home game for us.
Miss st is down 2 games H&A but they have already played us here
Aub is down 1 game H and play us here
So they should be eliminated

Both Ark and Mizzou are down 1 game away. both have played us at their place. Either would be a logical replacement for Ole Miss.

We need and deserve a game so the standings are even.
Will the SEC do this or just eff us?? And which opponent will they choose?

That a game may be cancelled due to health protocol or who knows weather.
Of course, I also may win the lottery this week.

IF the conference doesn’t plan now, we could get punished because our opponent was in health protocol. I have proposed a plausible solution. I am sure DS and the gamecocks have proposed this already. If the conference doesn’t do this than Dawn is right....South Carolina vs the world

Of course, I also may win the lottery this week.

IF the conference doesn’t plan now, we could get punished because our opponent was in health protocol. I have proposed a plausible solution. I am sure DS and the gamecocks have proposed this already. If the conference doesn’t do this than Dawn is right....South Carolina vs the world
The conference tournament concludes over a week before the dance begins. If it's possible to postpone the tournament by a few days...........there's your time for make-up games.

The conference tournament concludes over a week before the dance begins. If it's possible to postpone the tournament by a few days...........there's your time for make-up games.
doesnt really work as the venue and hotels in Nashville have been booked for over a year. Too much money involved. It’s either Feb 6 or nothing

doesn't really work as the venue and hotels in Nashville have been booked for over a year. Too much money involved. It’s either Feb 6 or nothing
And that's why I stated if it's possible......

Going forward, the league may do well to build "make-up dates" into the schedule....for all sports.

And that's why I stated if it's possible......

Going forward, the league may do well to build "make-up dates" into the schedule....for all sports.
You make a good point for a Covid world.

As it stands now in WBB, the league plays a 16 game schedule in roughly Jan. and Feb. (9 weeks) this gives 2 open dates. At present I believe only us and UT use one of those open dates for OOC.

These open dates are staggered for TV. Make the two open dates league wide, game 9 and 18. If you missed a game in the first 8, 9 becomes makeup or bye, same with 18.

The other or both/and option is to move the SEC Tourney back a week and just give further permutations.

Of course all this changes with Texas and Oklahoma. 15, 16 or 18 game schedule? Two divisions or one league?

You make a good point for a Covid world.

As it stands now in WBB, the league plays a 16 game schedule in roughly Jan. and Feb. (9 weeks) this gives 2 open dates. At present I believe only us and UT use one of those open dates for OOC.

These open dates are staggered for TV. Make the two open dates league wide, game 9 and 18. If you missed a game in the first 8, 9 becomes makeup or bye, same with 18.

Of course all this changes with Texas and Oklahoma. 15, 16 or 18 game schedule? Two divisions or one league?
Thank you. And maybe other unforseen circumstances, e.g., bad weather impacting travel.

A few thoughts and questions for y’all

Poll is out #1 for 11th straight week. 28 out 30 first place votes. Louisville got the other two, I get that so no beef. BUT one of those two voters voted us third! Really!!

Since 2014 this is week 36 at #1. Only UConn is better 71 weeks.

Does anyone subscribe to her hoops stats? It’s a real deep dive into NCAA and WNBA stats/analytics. It’s 20$ a year and I’m contemplating.

UCONN @ Oregon today 5pm. Should be a good game

Reactions: vacock#
Did a little digging....The only possible open date we have is Sunday Feb 6. There are four other teams with open dates on the 6th; Ark, Aub, Miss St and.........Mizzou. It SHOULD be a home game for us.
Miss st is down 2 games H&A but they have already played us here
Aub is down 1 game H and play us here
So they should be eliminated

Both Ark and Mizzou are down 1 game away. both have played us at their place. Either would be a logical replacement for Ole Miss.

We need and deserve a game so the standings are even.
Will the SEC do this or just eff us?? And which opponent will they choose?
We must be planning on a makeup game on Feb 6 since my season tickets list that day as a game vs TBD.

Reactions: winloseortie

Poll is out #1 for 11th straight week. 28 out 30 first place votes. Louisville got the other two, I get that so no beef. BUT one of those two voters voted us third! Really!!

Does anyone subscribe to her hoops stats? It’s a real deep dive into NCAA and WNBA stats/analytics. It’s 20$ a year and I’m contemplating.

Apparently it's a Chad Conine from a Waco newspaper with the ranking. I'm not sure how you can justify a one loss Gamecock team below a Stanford team that we beat with three losses.
He also has an unranked Kansas State at 18 and a UConn team whose recent games have been against the two worst teams in the Big East all the way up to #6. Overall it looks like we mostly regained the trust of the voters with more first place votes every week.

Is that the name of it? "Her Hoops Stats"??

Is that the name of it? "Her Hoops Stats"??
🤣🤣🤣🤣 I thought of you when I posted this. You will probably love it. They have a stat for overall defense, I’m not sure the metric but we have been #1 in this stat almost all year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT