ADVERTISEMENT

After this next game ...

Chopper007

Jan 20, 2013
I'll bet the go fund me accounts to buyout Will Muschamp's contract starts... It is nauseating to think how much money is being wasted on this guy... There should be something in the contract about incompetence to void the contract...

I saw an article about Rutgers allowing alcohol sales in their stadium to fund a coach buyout. Sounds intriguing...

A loss to UK means we will start the season 1-6. I don't like our chances at Neyland either...still a tough place to play...so looking at 1-7.

It is impossible for me to see how Tanner can continue to voice support for Champ with a 1-6 or 1-7 start in his 4th season. Even if we beat UK, we're looking at 2-5 to start.

You don't have to show a total turnaround by Year 4, but it also shouldn't be your worst year.

Reactions: Brace1
A loss to UK means we will start the season 1-6. I don't like our chances at Neyland either...still a tough place to play...so looking at 1-7.

It is impossible for me to see how Tanner can continue to voice support for Champ with a 1-6 or 1-7 start in his 4th season. Even if we beat UK, we're looking at 2-5 to start.

You don't have to show a total turnaround by Year 4, but it also shouldn't be your worst year.

1 or 2 wins is going to be tough for the school to deal with, but a lot will depend on what the big money donors say. USC doesn't give a hoot about what average fans on a call in show or a sports board say. If the donations stay steady Muschamp will be here for at least 1 more year.

One lesson I hope SC has learned (maybe 2) is never hire a coach fired by another school in your division, and pay for the best assistants with track records of developing top players. Don't go cheap by promoting unproven assistants to coordinator jobs.

Another failure (it appears) is to allow the head coach to be the recruiting coordinator. The head coach needs to spend more time working with assistants to develop and motivate players and hire someone to manage recruiting.

Reactions: heydave101
1 or 2 wins is going to be tough for the school to deal with, but a lot will depend on what the big money donors say. USC doesn't give a hoot about what average fans on a call in show or a sports board say. If the donations stay steady Muschamp will be here for at least 1 more year.

One lesson I hope SC has learned (maybe 2) is never hire a coach fired by another school in your division, and pay for the best assistants with track records of developing top players. Don't go cheap by promoting unproven assistants to coordinator jobs.

Another failure (it appears) is to allow the head coach to be the recruiting coordinator. The head coach needs to spend more time working with assistants to develop and motivate players and hire someone to manage recruiting.

Think about that for a moment. I would say the average fan spends a few hundred dollars a year on Gamecock football. The average fan, if local, might go to a game or two a year. Your rabid fans, probably spend a few thousand, contribute to Gamecock Club, get season tickets and all that. If these fans who spend, at the most a few thousand dollars a year are frustrated at not seeing any return on their investment, how can the big money donors, who invest hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars be content? I imagine most of the big money donors are folks with good business acumen, so it makes no sense that they'd be fine with the return on investment they're getting.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Think about that for a moment. I would say the average fan spends a few hundred dollars a year on Gamecock football. The average fan, if local, might go to a game or two a year. Your rabid fans, probably spend a few thousand, contribute to Gamecock Club, get season tickets and all that. If these fans who spend, at the most a few thousand dollars a year are frustrated at not seeing any return on their investment, how can the big money donors, who invest hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars be content? I imagine most of the big money donors are folks with good business acumen, so it makes no sense that they'd be fine with the return on investment they're getting.

Good question. Here's what I think. They don't care all that much about winning. They give money to have the best seats with air conditioned skyboxes to hang out with each other and to watch the likes of Alabama, Georgia, aTm, Florida and Clemson play. I can't prove it, but I suspect that many of them are not even SC graduates, and do not have other allegiances to the program. It is the same at every SEC school though. Big corporations have executive offices in the area and their executives want to watch SEC football. Just like pro sports. I worked for a company in Memphis that owned a skybox in the FedEx arena. I got to go to a couple of Grizzlies games entertaining clients. They only watched about half the game.

Good question. Here's what I think. They don't care all that much about winning. They give money to have the best seats with air conditioned skyboxes to hang out with each other and to watch the likes of Alabama, Georgia, aTm, Florida and Clemson play. I can't prove it, but I suspect that many of them are not even SC graduates, and do not have other allegiances to the program. It is the same at every SEC school though. Big corporations have executive offices in the area and their executives want to watch SEC football. Just like pro sports. I worked for a company in Memphis that owned a skybox in the FedEx arena. I got to go to a couple of Grizzlies games entertaining clients. They only watched about half the game.
Can confirm ^^

Was fortunate to be asked to attend a Hornets game with seats in a fancy corporate box. These things are set up as a room for entertaining with 20 or so boxed off seats outside of the room.

Room stayed full with a bunch of folks drinking and socializing. During the entire game there were maybe 3 butts in seats. I have to imagine it's the same everywhere.

I said on another post, my wife's family is some of those big donors. They got a jet and all that stuff. Now, the big home games, they hire a bus to take them in. But they take clients to those games and sit in a box. Most of its just wining and dining they're clients and they're on the road before the game is over. It's a social thing, winning would be fun, but most of them don't care. They're also big hunters, so they start spending a lot of time in Montana and South Dakota this time of year. Footballs turned into a social thing a couple Saturdays a year and they'll keep doing it regardless of the W-L record.

A buyout like Muschamp was given would only make sense if there was a stipulation that it would be voided if he didn’t meet a certain number of wins a year. Such as 5 or 6. It’s crazy to have to pay a coach 18 million if he only had 1 win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT