ADVERTISEMENT

I don't wanna say I told you so but, I TOLD YOU SO!!!

How is that? You don't believe big schools are willing to wait a season to get a great player?

It's just a pipeline.
No, I don't think they will be willing to do that in many cases. Most of these kids transfer as Jrs and Srs. If they lose a year of eligibility with the transfer that knocks out all Srs. Only a Jr will be able to transfer and play and only for one year. No school is going to pay a kid hundreds of thousands of $ for 2 years so they can play one. They may go after more Fr., but that's a gamble for them not necessarily knowing what kind of player they may turn out to be and still having to pay them to not play for a year. I don't think its a cure but it relieves the symptoms a great deal.

Reactions: Ward Jr
No, I don't think they will be willing to do that in many cases. Most of these kids transfer as Jrs and Srs. If they lose a year of eligibility with the transfer that knocks out all Srs. Only a Jr will be able to transfer and play and only for one year. No school is going to pay a kid hundreds of thousands of $ for 2 years so they can play one. They may go after more Fr., but that's a gamble for them not necessarily knowing what kind of player they may turn out to be and still having to pay them to not play for a year. I don't think its a cure but it relieves the symptoms a great deal.

Why would they lose any eligibility? My understanding was that they just had to sit out a year. If they were seniors, what they typically did was take a lighter class schedule the year they sat and then a few classes again the year following in order to maintain eligibility.

One of my biggest concerns with the NIL/Portal is us becoming a full-time staging school for talent. The entire NIL program is still at it's inception. If it remains this way, why wouldn't the big money schools just wait to see how a player performs their first season versus throwing a bunch of money at them coming out of high school? With this, the big schools can carefully curate teams and maximize their return on investment.

Bucs when are you going to ever stop with chadwell...we have heard a thousand times that he is the greatest of the great....please just stop!...I am sure is is waiting on saban to retire correct?

Its not necessarily that its HIM. Its comparing the 2 choices Ray had, which he chose and why. I can’t remember a coaching hire anywhere in America where there was a more clear choice, and a more puzzling final decision.

My whole stance summed up is we need a different AD. Tanner is a disaster and nothing symbolizes his disastrous decisions than that hire.

BTW, I also think Clay Hendrix would be a better HC for us, so Id be glad to start lobbying for him in 2026 after we go 4-8 in 2024 and 2025.

Reactions: Lurker123
I'll just repost this. I don't think you're really reading my posts anyway.

I think k you underestimate the detractor that sitting is to a player. I admit some will still take the money, I never did say it would fix all of it.

Have fun.

10000% right. Sitting a year is a HUGE detractor for a player. But its also a detractor for boosters who wanna buy an elite player. They dont wanna donate all that money to win “next year”. If the player is that great, hes probably a sophomore who proved it as a freshman. So a donor will pay all that $$ so he will come here, sit as a sophomore, play 1 season then go pro? No way

I don't think its a cure but it relieves the symptoms a great deal.

Agreed. (Obviously)

It won't fix it. To do that, we'd need to unwind NIL completely, and that's not happening.

But as people scramble for all sorts of fixes that get more and more convoluted, it's a sime step that would make a dent, and at least help.

Agreed. (Obviously)

It won't fix it. To do that, we'd need to unwind NIL completely, and that's not happening.

But as people scramble for all sorts of fixes that get more and more convoluted, it's a sime step that would make a dent, and at least help.

All that said, they cant all go to Bama and Georgia and even ones who can may not wanna be a backup. We are a bigger more prestigious program than the Group of 5 and FCS, and half of FBS. We can land the transfers also.

10000% right. Sitting a year is a HUGE detractor for a player. But its also a detractor for boosters who wanna buy an elite player. They dont wanna donate all that money to win “next year”. If the player is that great, hes probably a sophomore who proved it as a freshman. So a donor will pay all that $$ so he will come here, sit as a sophomore, play 1 season then go pro? No way

So all of these coaches who have complained about the NIL/Portal situation don't know what they are talking about?

There's a NIL pool of funds from donors and corporate initiatives. Unlike some of our impatient fans, the big schools are patient playing the long game because they already have talent for miles.

They have their big recruiting classes just like always. Now they top off their talent pool with direct purchases from other D1 schools. This serves to better their team and weaken their competition.

It's not that complicated.

Would Spurrier be able to replicate his success at USC in the current NIL/Portal environment?

I don't see how.

Top players are not going to turn down big money just to say they played for Steve Spurrier.

So all of these coaches who have complained about the NIL/Portal situation don't know what they are talking about?

There's a NIL pool of funds from donors and corporate initiatives. Unlike some of our impatient fans, the big schools are patient playing the long game because they already have talent for miles.

They have their big recruiting classes just like always. Now they top off their talent pool with direct purchases from other D1 schools. This serves to better their team and weaken their competition.

It's not that complicated.
Almost every coach has said the 1 yr sit would fix things

Why would they lose any eligibility? My understanding was that they just had to sit out a year. If they were seniors, what they typically did was take a lighter class schedule the year they sat and then a few classes again the year following in order to maintain eligibility.

One of my biggest concerns with the NIL/Portal is us becoming a full-time staging school for talent. The entire NIL program is still at it's inception. If it remains this way, why wouldn't the big money schools just wait to see how a player performs their first season versus throwing a bunch of money at them coming out of high school? With this, the big schools can carefully curate teams and maximize their return on investment.
Sorry, I probably wasn't clear on that. What you are saying is the old rule of just sitting out a year. I'm not saying revert back to the old rule. I'm saying make a new rule that you sit out a year AND lose that year of eligibility. That would be the discouragement for players from transferring, and for the school being transferred to for the NIL money.

Any portal change wouldn't do a thing about being able to buy your team from Day One via NIL.

The portal situation is a kicker.
Oh it definitely would. Players dont wanna sit and donors dont wanna wait

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear on that. What you are saying is the old rule of just sitting out a year. I'm not saying revert back to the old rule. I'm saying make a new rule that you sit out a year AND lose that year of eligibility. That would be the discouragement for players from transferring, and for the school being transferred to for the NIL money.
That was the old rule. Most guys just took a red shirt year

That might help. It really would depend on if the player was interested in an education or making money. Most are going to go for the money.

The NIL is still the elephant in the room though. Both the NIL and portal need alteration.

If you change the portal, it just means that the blood blues would have a different game plan. They would position most of their buys on the front end versus waiting to see how a player performs at the college level.

The current no-wait portal just allows them to refine their NIL spending.

In terms of football, we are an ACC Team parading as an SEC Team. There's over 30 years of evidence to support this conclusion.

Our Athletic Department must be fine with this. They're content with the money and notoriety that comes along with being in the SEC Conference. It supports many other endeavors.

Carolina Football fans are the ones that take the big hit with this current arrangement. In a perfect world, we would have a Notre Dame setup in reverse. Independent in Football. SEC for everything else.

It's a combination but the NIL is the real poison. Some have 10x++ the NIL budget of other teams.

Take away the no-wait portal -- Most players are going to be willing to sit a year if they are going to receive hundreds of thousands, if not millions more from another school.

Let's say a Harbor or Sellers turn out out to be a stud. Now, we're faced with either trying to match what another school offers or forced to lose them like Bell and Lloyd.

Not to mention, the going rate for a Top D1 QB is probably going to be 60-80% of our total budget, if not more as this continues to evolve.

Top NIL schools don't necessary need to outbid us on an unproven, big name recruit. They can wait it out a year and see what happens at the college level before they throw their riches at him.

Yep. 100% spot on.

I think some folks just want to live in denial because it doesn't fit their agenda that there is some mystery miracle coach out there that is unknown to everybody and just wants to the challenge of winning at South Carolina.

Agreed. Coaching has no impact, and should be ignored as a factor in winning.

We should just hire celebrities to make videos and perform on the sideline. The win total would be the same.

/s. (For those who actually need to be told)

I think the NIL should have a “Max-Limit” per player. I think only Graduate Transfers should be eligible immediately. Also, if you’re going to transfer, you should have to sit out the next year, just like before.

Just for S’s&G’s, what if you could only have “X” amount of players eligible for NIL money per team. That sure would even the field big time.

I think the NIL should have a “Max-Limit” per player. I think only Graduate Transfers should be eligible immediately. Also, if you’re going to transfer, you should have to sit out the next year, just like before.

Just for S’s&G’s, what if you could only have “X” amount of players eligible for NIL money per team. That sure would even the field big time.

Don't disagree with any of these. But limiting the NIL and who gets the NIL is not possible, with my understanding of the SC ruling.

The NCAA would need to make rules about things they can affect. Like transfer rules, imo.

That might help. It really would depend on if the player was interested in an education or making money. Most are going to go for the money.

The NIL is still the elephant in the room though. Both the NIL and portal need alteration.

If you change the portal, it just means that the blood blues would have a different game plan. They would position most of their buys on the front end versus waiting to see how a player performs at the college level.

The current no-wait portal just allows them to refine their NIL spending.
Not likely. If they wanted them on the front end they would recruit them on the front end. Stealing Freshmen from other programs would be risky for them and very expensive - twice as expensive, and without knowing if their investment will pay off.

Oh my. I was not a fan of the hire. And I'm not willing to say that he will eventually work out. But I believe it's pointless to disparage him at this time. He will be given as much time as Muschamp was given, meaning going into a 5th season. If 2024 turns out to be blah. And if it becomes evident in 2025, things are no better..... then you are talking. People have a right to say what they want now. Maybe it makes them feel better to get things off their chest? But, I'd hold my fire now and see what happens. That's my approach.

Have not read all the comments. Will say this about the NIL: The NCAA needs to find a way to keep the NIL from causing an imbalance in the sport. It has to be for the good of the sport. I'm not sure how. And it would have to be a way that the Supreme Court would be fine with. But that's why there are constitutional lawyers.

Not likely. If they wanted them on the front end they would recruit them on the front end. Stealing Freshmen from other programs would be risky for them and very expensive - twice as expensive, and without knowing if their investment will pay off.

I don't follow. Why wouldn't you want a proven commodity that has performed at the level you are hiring them for? The big bidding wars are happening with new recruits. Money schools enjoy the media splash.

I don't follow. Why wouldn't you want a proven commodity that has performed at the level you are hiring them for? The big bidding wars are happening with new recruits. Money schools enjoy the media splash.
Not sure what you don't follow. Also, your statement is contradictory. First you say they want proven commodities, but then you say they would be willing to bid on new recruits (i.e. unproven commodities). Which is it?

Not sure what you don't follow. Also, your statement is contradictory. First you say they want proven commodities, but then you say they would be willing to bid on new recruits (i.e. unproven commodities). Which is it?

What I didn't follow was your point that if they change the portal to 1-year and losing a year of eligibility how that would fix the issue? (this will never happen BTW)

Schools who have tens of millions to throw at building a team are just going to spend more on the front end to get the shiny new objects and make a splash.

The NIL is the big issue.

What I didn't follow was your point that if they change the portal to 1-year and losing a year of eligibility how that would fix the issue? (this will never happen BTW)

Schools who have tens of millions to throw at building a team are just going to spend more on the front end to get the shiny new objects and make a splash.

The NIL is the big issue.
Well, You said they want proven commodities (which I agree with BTW). This is contrary to throwing money at high school seniors. These guys have 85 scholarship players. They're not going to just throw money around hoping something sticks. Alabama spent $3 million on NIL - not "tens of millions" as you suggested. Texas A&M spent about $10 million on NIL for their entire athletic dept. I think you have a misconception there as to how things work and the amount of money involved.

Take away the open ended portal and you severely restrict the impact of NIL.

Well, You said they want proven commodities (which I agree with BTW). This is contrary to throwing money at high school seniors. These guys have 85 scholarship players. They're not going to just throw money around hoping something sticks. Alabama spent $3 million on NIL - not "tens of millions" as you suggested. Texas A&M spent about $10 million on NIL for their entire athletic dept. I think you have a misconception there as to how things work and the amount of money involved.

Take away the open ended portal and you severely restrict the impact of NIL.

But they are. Look at all of the coaches complaining about NIL. I posted one from Kiffin yesterday. He is talking about new recruits. Grabbing players from other schools like what happened with Lloyd and Bell is only a portion of the issue.

Also, where exactly are you getting these figures because there's no transparency at this time? That's not even close to what is happening according to most reports. We have more NIL funding than what you're suggesting BAMA has.

Reactions: Thirdcatgy
Saban stated in 2021 that his QB Bryce Young, who hadn't played a down yet, was approaching 7-figures in deals,

That was when the NIL was just warming up. Wonder what it looks like in 2023?

Many of the BooBirds on this board want to make our issues all about Shane Beamer because they couldn't stand the hire from day one.

I've posted this before, but it bares repeating:

+ We had the toughest schedule in the nation.
+ We've had bad injuries in bad locations...Wells being the big one.
+ We've won every 1st quarter this season with the exception of Missouri.
+ We've been in every game going into the 4th Quarter with the exception(s) of Missouri and maybe UT.

When you consider that the teams we've lost to recruit and have better NIL programs, it's really hard to point the finger at bad coaching when you include the bulletpoint info above.

Once again, I do believe that all position coaches should get a hard look at the end of the year....starting with the OL.

However, buying out another head coach because -- "Look at our record!" --- is really surface level crap as of right now.

That could change at some point and probably will because head coaching stays at USC typically run 5-years. At that point, the AD needs to renew fan interest in a league where we are dealing with a very obvious ceiling.

Saban stated in 2021 that his QB Bryce Young, who hadn't played a down yet, was approaching 7-figures in deals,

That was when the NIL was just warming up. Wonder what it looks like in 2023?

Many of the BooBirds on this board want to make our issues all about Shane Beamer because they couldn't stand the hire from day one.

I've posted this before, but it bares repeating:

+ We had the toughest schedule in the nation.
+ We've had bad injuries in bad locations...Wells being the big one.
+ We've won every 1st quarter this season with the exception of Missouri.
+ We've been in every game going into the 4th Quarter with the exception(s) of Missouri and maybe UT.

When you consider that the teams we've lost to recruit and have better NIL programs, it's really hard to point the finger at bad coaching when you include the bulletpoint info above.

Once again, I do believe that all position coaches should get a hard look at the end of the year....starting with the OL.

However, buying out another head coach because -- "Look at our record!" --- is really surface level crap as of right now.

That could change at some point and probably will because head coaching stays at USC typically run 5-years. At that point, the AD needs to renew fan interest in a league where we are dealing with a very obvious ceiling.
So you’re saying that they spend tens of millions in NIL, but the star Heisman QB got less than a million. Boy he got screwed, didn’t he?

Where did you get your figures of tens of millions from? I got mine from an article in 247 Sports. They quoted Saban saying the players got about $3 million. Since Young got just under a million that would be about right since the QB gets far more than other players and some players get 0.

Jimbo Fisher was quoted as saying T-A&M student athletes got a total of about $10 million. That was ALL student athletes, not just football.

So you’re saying that they spend tens of millions in NIL, but the star Heisman QB got less than a million. Boy he got screwed, didn’t he?

Where did you get your figures of tens of millions from? I got mine from an article in 247 Sports. They quoted Saban saying the players got about $3 million. Since Young got just under a million that would be about right since the QB gets far more than other players and some players get 0.

Jimbo Fisher was quoted as saying T-A&M student athletes got a total of about $10 million. That was ALL student athletes, not just football.

Then post the article? I've posted something Saban told the Texas Coaching Association. Believe it's on video too if you need that.

The idea that his players are getting $3mil total seems a little outlandish given that about what Rattler is getting at USC alone. Saban's players are getting national sponsorship deals - not just local like most of our guys. National sponsors runs the tab up quickly.

The issue is that it's not on a public ledger so we can told trust what they are saying.

I expect the backward SEC to eventually intervene on the Wild West so we can get confirmation.

Then post the article? I've posted something Saban told the Texas Coaching Association. Believe it's on video too if you need that.

The idea that his players are getting $3mil total seems a little outlandish given that about what Rattler is getting at USC alone. Saban's players are getting national sponsorship deals - not just local like most of our guys. National sponsors runs the tab up quickly.

The issue is that it's not on a public ledger so we can told trust what they are saying.

I expect the backward SEC to eventually intervene on the Wild West so we can get confirmation.
You posted one statement about one player only. You still have not disclosed where you got the "tens of millions of dollars" figures you posted.

Here are a few links to articles supporting what I posted.

Also, in 247 Sports Nick Saban is quoted as saying this:
“Someone with one of the best corners in the nation came to me and asked if we’d pay them $800,000 for the player to sign here," Saban said, according to Mobile (Ala.) Baker coach Steve Normand, who attended the event, via Fox. "I told him he can find another place to play. "I’m not paying a kid a bunch of NIL money before he earns it."
That's what I was saying. They aren't going to pay a high school kid that kind of money when they don't know if he will produce or not.

You're on the right track with recruiting. That's the main role of a head coach beyond staff hires.

Beamer doing pretty good so far in 2023 from a raw recruiting standpoint:
https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

We'll have to see how badly we get dinged by the NIL/Portal at the end of the year for balance.

FSU wasn't turned around by Norvell. They were turned around by money.
I think the dinging may have already started with our 4* commit Tight end Michael Smith now going to visit UT and Auburn

You posted one statement about one player only. You still have not disclosed where you got the "tens of millions of dollars" figures you posted.

Here are a few links to articles supporting what I posted.

Also, in 247 Sports Nick Saban is quoted as saying this:
“Someone with one of the best corners in the nation came to me and asked if we’d pay them $800,000 for the player to sign here," Saban said, according to Mobile (Ala.) Baker coach Steve Normand, who attended the event, via Fox. "I told him he can find another place to play. "I’m not paying a kid a bunch of NIL money before he earns it."
That's what I was saying. They aren't going to pay a high school kid that kind of money when they don't know if he will produce or not.

Correct. The one player on a team of up to 125 players. Some of the big schools have most all of their players with deals.

Players like Arch Manning and Silo Saunders reportedly have deals in excess of $10mil.

Last year, it was reported Rattler alone is receiving deals in excess of $2.3mil.

On a team of limited skill players, we lost 2 of our best last season to the NIL.

Correct. The one player on a team of up to 125 players. Some of the big schools have most all of their players with deals.

Players like Arch Manning and Silo Saunders reportedly have deals in excess of $10mil.

Last year, it was reported Rattler alone is receiving deals in excess of $2.3mil.

On a team of limited skill players, we lost 2 of our best last season to the NIL.
125 players? Really? So now you're implying that WALKONS are getting NIL money??? That's pure B/S and you know it. They are only allowed 85 scholarships and most of those get no or minimal NIL money.

You still have not posted the source from where you got that teams are paying tens of millions of dollars. Where is it?

125 players? Really? So now you're implying that WALKONS are getting NIL money??? That's pure B/S and you know it. They are only allowed 85 scholarships and most of those get no or minimal NIL money.

You still have not posted the source from where you got that teams are paying tens of millions of dollars. Where is it?

"SEC coaches Nick Saban and Lane Kiffin were among those who said the Aggies boosters may have offered as much as $30 million to gain that class."

https://www.si.com/college/tamu/football/texas-am-tamu-aggies-nil-ncaa-warning-letters-ross-bjork

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT