ADVERTISEMENT

Another Damn Recruiting Thread

Care to name those 5-6? Were any of them all American candidates?

And you can’t link hill in there he was a d1 three star recruit that I bet Brown out performs
No...I don’t care to name them. But, unless your paid committee for online advocacy group didn’t have you watching Carolina games until mid December...you should do some homework and find out:
1) know who they are 2) know how bad they were at this level of football and 3) know that most players that try to make the fcs to major college football jump fail miserably.
so...like the other Carolina fans on here that already know this....we fully expect to see another couple years of 2-3 wins and this is a major reason why. Glad you’re on board with It though...thanks for reaching for The stars

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
You mean 80% of our recruits who are 3 stars turn out to sometimes be good players? Outstanding perspective.

Now look at the three stars in each class and see what percentage actually contributed meaningfully. My guess would be less than 20%
Well while you guess...I remember. Go look at Carolinas top players Over the last 20-30 years. Conner shaws, Eric Norwood’s, Kenny mckinleys, TJ Johnson’s, Brinkley twins, darian Stewart, etc that made teams go....3 star players. It isn’t perspective. It is absolute facts and if you are a usc fan, you already know this.

It’s hard to even comment on this because the truth will be perceived/revealed/accepted as negative.
First off...you don’t have facts, you have opinions.
also-your assumption is that a random 3 star recruit is a “warm body”just like your assuming that these FCS transfers are great pickups and not warm bodies. My argument is this: go look at the majority of our best players ever have been the last 40 years....3 star players. Meaning- we have had many more solid 3star contributor recruits than we have 4/5 stars...and more solid 3 star guys than all 2 star and unrated combined players . So I hate your usage of random 3 star players as warm bodies. USC is a 3 star football program...mixed in with some higher profile guys.

secondly- the whole which other coach could’ve done better. Obviously there is no way to answer this because literally nobody else was the HC for usc in late 2020 into 2021 to compare against. You are obviously set on defending him without reason or analyzation being applied. We will see how he does because whether you like it or not- one big fact is a HCs record IS what he is in college football. The reasons, excuses and scenarios don’t matter...results do and he will need them to keep this job.
I wasn't saying 3-stars are warm bodies, I'm saying fishing for them when you can't scout and evaluate them then you are saying to hunt warm bodies for the sake of getting them, whereas FCS is a higher level of competition then high school meaning you can get better evals when limited to tape. You don't offer someone you can't evaluate in person unless they're an obvious can't miss. Did you want us to fill it with numbers or go after the best guys we had a shot at because that's what we did and transfers don't show on the ranking, that's the whole argument. The facts in wanting to hear is a realistic counter factual of what can't miss prospect we could reasonably expect to get that wasn't already committed elsewhere on December 6th and would be willing to commit sight unseen? Most were committed and we couldn't evaluate and we did only have a week and a half, those are facts!

Added: when I asked who could do better it was who do you think could put together 10 signees in 10 days and bank on none of them being busts because that's the alternative to the approach we had. That would be an opinion, yes, that would have to be rooted in facts.

Last edited:
I'm not sure there was any chance he was going to be successful in the class of 2021, but it's far too early to say he was successful in transfer by signing a guy who couldn't play for Nebraska and kids from an FCS school we have never heard of before.
How many times do I have to say it? He didn't knock it out of the park, he did the best that could be done is the only thing I've said.

I want saying 3-stars are warm bodies, I'm saying fishing for them when you can't scout and evaluate them then you are saying to hunt warm bodies for the sake of getting them, whereas FCS is a higher level of competition then high school meaning you can get better evals when limited to tape. Most were committed and we couldn't evaluate and we did only have a week and a half, those are facts!
I appreciate your opinion that you seem to prefer FCS kids over HS kids....but it is not a fact that you can have time to evaluate a FCS kid but not a HS player in over a months time of being HC.
an actual fact is that you need SOMEbody in the recruiting class...so a warm body that a previous staff and other competing SEC schools recruited is better than players that have already proven to be passed on by those same universities. I’m not saying that ALL FCS kids can’t play in the SEC...but it is a fact that ZERO other SEC schools including vandy offered these kids just 1-2 years ago. That scares a lot of people...it scares me.

New Vanderbilt coach Clark Lea wrapped up his first recruiting class Wednesday.

In December, he signed the bulk of the class two days after being hired, and they were mostly players committed to fired coach Derek Mason. He finished it Wednesday by signing four players.

Google is a great source.

Vandy fired a coach after us. Where are they ranked?
In addition, we recruited only 4 of the 25 Vandy signed and only offered 2. One was the 4* DT and their highest rated player, and also a RB. The RB we signed, McDowell is a much better RB and the DT was a 6'3"/270 lb 'tweener'. We already have a plethora of 'DTs' with similar measurables.

And, just for the sake of this argument, let's assume Beamer decided to go in a different direction, and instead of signing 7 transfers, signed 7 available high school recruits. It would not be inconceivable for him to sign only 3 star recruits at that stage - one rated 5.7, three rated 5.6, and 3 rated 5.5.

Using Rivals formula, that would add 495 points to our current 915 points for a total of 1410 points - which in my opinion would be the worst case scenario. Wouldn't be ahead of Vandy, but we would be tied with Cincinnati for 36th, instead of 78th.

EDIT: OH! And, IF Beamer had awarded the last scholarship to a 5.5 rated 3 star, then that recruit would have replaced the 2* for ranking purposes and we would end up with the same score as Vandy at 1425 and tied for 35th place.

That ranking would calm a lot of people down, but I would prefer the 7 transfers who have college experience, all of whom fill critical positions of need, and all of whom could conceivably come in and make an immediate impact in year one.

Quite frankly, I have seen higher rated classes in the past that I wouldn't trade this class for.

Last edited:
I appreciate your opinion that you seem to prefer FCS kids over HS kids....but it is not a fact that you can have time to evaluate a FCS kid but not a HS player in over a months time of being HC.
an actual fact is that you need SOMEbody in the recruiting class...so a warm body that a previous staff and other competing SEC schools recruited is better than players that have already proven to be passed on by those same universities. I’m not saying that ALL FCS kids can’t play in the SEC...but it is a fact that ZERO other SEC schools including vandy offered these kids just 1-2 years ago. That scares a lot of people...it scares me.
No, I'm saying the standard of competition is more reliable in FCS than HS. I'll walk you through it, do you disagree with that statement? If you accept that, than you can glean more from FCS tape than High School tape, agree it disagree? Btw, if you disagree that FCS is a higher level of competition then high school, you're wrong.

No, I'm saying the standard of competition is more reliable in FCS than HS. I'll walk you through it, do you disagree with that statement? If you accept that, than you can glean more from FCS tape than High School tape, agree it disagree? Btw, if you disagree that FCS is a higher level of competition then high school, you're wrong.

You're ignoring that there is a reason those players are playing against FCS competition...

No...I don’t care to name them. But, unless your paid committee for online advocacy group didn’t have you watching Carolina games until mid December...you should do some homework and find out:
1) know who they are 2) know how bad they were at this level of football and 3) know that most players that try to make the fcs to major college football jump fail miserably.
so...like the other Carolina fans on here that already know this....we fully expect to see another couple years of 2-3 wins and this is a major reason why. Glad you’re on board with It though...thanks for reaching for The stars
So you just made them up?

JoeMo:
Just for fun...since you have framed this as “I can’t be wrong but feel free to respond”...you’re wrong.
like I said ...one absolute fact is the overwhelming majority of fcs transfers don’t do well coming into SEC....and not many do especially if you take Usc in the last 2 years out of the search.
also/ recruited players aren’t based off of competition primarily...but many other things (their measurables, their projection by the staff, their ability to comprehend and play fast with lots of info).
lastly/ many top recruited players come from powerhouse programs...and the competition to play on those teams is fierce...as is the teams they play. If I could only choose for my beloved Gamecocks to recruit NW Hs in rock hill every year OR st. Francis....that is no brainer...because NW has produced more NFL players than ST Francis university has in the last 20 years.

I guess bama, Ohio state and Clemson are late to this FCS party over going after this sh!tyy HS players, huh? how’s that for facts junior ?

Last edited:
So you just made them up?
No they’re on the team...but you’re real smart so you can figure it out. Google it.

sidenote....are you saying that 2001 is feeble? Or are you saying that you are feeble and you were born in 2001? What’s the storybehind the name?
You could always go with “thehill2003”

Okay, I'm willing the acknowledge we've only gotten players from places like GT and Nebraska. 6 of FSU's 8 transfers were Florida boys. Name one other school that had 9 commits and a new coach on December 6th with a week and a half to find and SCOUT QUALITY recruits while coming off of a 2-win season.

Also we have been the most injured SEC team over the last 3 years and that's not a question. Alabama was similarly injured 2018 and 2019 and got a new s&c coach and stayed healthy last year, don't know why our new hire didn't work out for us.

Also, I didn't say Muschamp couldn't coach, I said safety is notoriously hard to play in his system and our safeties have plainly not played to their talent. Muschamp has said safety is really demanding in his system and it was the weak link on defense every year despite bringing in good opponents.

So you told me a bunch of things I didn't say, ignored must of the real scenario I did paint, only acknowledge the 3 players that came from lower divisions to suit your point, said we haven't had unusual injury rates when we barely ended any of the last 3 years with starters left and after all of that stupid crap called me brainless.

I didn't think we just topped the 2010 class, this isn't a very good class, what I said was we did what could be expected given the circumstances, all of them not just the ones you acknowledge, we did the best one could reasonably expect and it isn't proof that Beamer is already a wash.

I know what we lost, I know we had more talent last year, but with two 5-star DL and two early round NFL DBs our defense sucked, which means we didn't maximize that talent. A couple of years ago we had 3 NFL WRs and some pro talent on OL and didn't maximize that talent, unless you think that 2018 offense should'nt have been capable of more. So I stand by it, we're replacing a defense that is too complicated to play fast and was made to beat pro-style and are replacing it with a cutting edge defense that is built for modern offenses and an offense the coaches are trying to structure around the concepts of the two most cutting edge offenses in recent years.

Forgive me if I feel people are wrong for not giving Beamer a chance before we even have Spring Practice because that's what this is about.
Glad you are finally beginning to acknowledge reality. You're still a little shaky on the facts though. It was 4 FCS players not 3. We reeled in 2 from St Francis.

You also mischaracterize the talent we had. You say we had 2 5* DL. You are another one of those people who lump DL into one category. A DE is far different from a DT especially a NT. That's like saying TE is the same as a WR because they are both receivers. We had DEs playing DT because we lacked talent at the DT position. Now with KT gone it is even less. Guess what? We did not really improve our situation there. I don't blame Beamer for not being able to recruit HS kids since he had a short field. But he should've addressed the positions of need with better quality transfers. We will still be lacking on the Dline because we still don't have any SEC quality DTs. We still have no SEC quality LBs. We have a sorely lacking Defensive backfield as well and no receivers. Our Oline can't pass block and if not for Harris making his own plays they aren't that great at run blocking either. There are many gaping holes on this team. I know there is no way Beamer could address all this in the first short period recruiting, but it seems we didn't even make a dent. He has a lot of work to do for 2022 and 2023 in terms of recruiting.

Please also explain this cutting edge defense you speak of. I've seen nothing of this. There hasn't even been a spring practice yet from the new coaching staff so how do you know what kind of defense they will have? All I've seen is that the new DC likes the 4-2-5. You know, the same nickel defense that has been run for years by teams trying to counter the spread offenses. Nothing cutting edge there. We started running that when Ellis Johnson was DC. I do think the DC was a good hire in the long haul though. Probably his best hire assuming the guy can recruit in the SEC. But, we don't know that yet either.

It's not a question of giving Beamer a chance. We have no choice but to give him a chance. The problem is with the current state of the program and an uncertain future considering the path we are taking thus far.

Just for fun...since you have framed this as “I can’t be wrong but feel free to respond”...you’re wrong.
like I said ...one absolute fact is the overwhelming majority of fcs transfers don’t do well coming into SEC....and not many do especially if you take Usc in the last 2 years out of the search.
also/ recruited players aren’t based off of competition primarily...but many other things (their measurables, their projection by the staff, their ability to comprehend and play fast with lots of info).
lastly/ many top recruited players come from powerhouse programs...and the competition to play on those teams is fierce...as is the teams they play. If I could only choose for my beloved Gamecocks to recruit NW Hs in rock hill every year OR st. Francis....that is no brainer...because NW has produced more NFL players than ST Francis university has in the last 20 years.

I guess bama, Ohio state and Clemson are late to this FCS party over going after this sh!tyy HS players, huh? how’s that for facts junior ?
You just compared us to teams who have had multiple years to recruit and build relationships. Do the FCS guys not have the measurables? Do you remember two years ago we had a RB that looked kick ass on film but the competition sucked and we pulled the offer when he sucked in person? You can't rely on level of competition and measurable alone don't make a great player.

Now let me simplify the other point because you seem to be having trouble with it. Who is better in average, a hs players or an FCS player? Which is the higher level of competition, hs or FCS? Don't comment on anything else, answer that question? And why would FCS transfers that we're 3-stars in hs and shown out at FCS will magically be less than a 3-star now? Also, why do you think they all need to be difference makers, the only one we need to be more than depth is the WR.

Glad you are finally beginning to acknowledge reality. You're still a little shaky on the facts though. It was 4 FCS players not 3. We reeled in 2 from St Francis.

You also mischaracterize the talent we had. You say we had 2 5* DL. You are another one of those people who lump DL into one category. A DE is far different from a DT especially a NT. That's like saying TE is the same as a WR because they are both receivers. We had DEs playing DT because we lacked talent at the DT position. Now with KT gone it is even less. Guess what? We did not really improve our situation there. I don't blame Beamer for not being able to recruit HS kids since he had a short field. But he should've addressed the positions of need with better quality transfers. We will still be lacking on the Dline because we still don't have any SEC quality DTs. We still have no SEC quality LBs. We have a sorely lacking Defensive backfield as well and no receivers. Our Oline can't pass block and if not for Harris making his own plays they aren't that great at run blocking either. There are many gaping holes on this team. I know there is no way Beamer could address all this in the first short period recruiting, but it seems we didn't even make a dent. He has a lot of work to do for 2022 and 2023 in terms of recruiting.

Please also explain this cutting edge defense you speak of. I've seen nothing of this. There hasn't even been a spring practice yet from the new coaching staff so how do you know what kind of defense they will have? All I've seen is that the new DC likes the 4-2-5. You know, the same nickel defense that has been run for years by teams trying to counter the spread offenses. Nothing cutting edge there. We started running that when Ellis Johnson was DC. I do think the DC was a good hire in the long haul though. Probably his best hire assuming the guy can recruit in the SEC. But, we don't know that yet either.

It's not a question of giving Beamer a chance. We have no choice but to give him a chance. The problem is with the current state of the program and an uncertain future considering the path we are taking thus far.
I was making fun of you, Nebraska and GT are power 5 schools and Pickens is over 300 lbs and that is not a DE, I don't care what he played in high school. MI6 was an undersized ILB coming out of high school, was he out of position at DE?

Also, Muschamp said safety is hard on his system, he put emphasis on stopping the run first too and shaped the defense around it. Do you think you know about how he models his defense better than he does?

You just compared us to teams who have had multiple years to recruit and build relationships. Do the FCS guys not have the measurables? Do you remember two years ago we had a RB that looked kick ass on film but the competition sucked and we pulled the offer when he sucked in person? You can't rely on level of competition and measurable alone don't make a great player.

Now let me simplify the other point because you seem to be having trouble with it. Who is better in average, a hs players or an FCS player? Which is the higher level of competition, hs or FCS? Don't comment on anything else, answer that question? And why would FCS transfers that we're 3-stars in hs and shown out at FCS will magically be less than a 3-star now? Also, why do you think they all need to be difference makers, the only one we need to be more than depth is the WR.
Ok...then not bama, Clemson and Ohio state.
many other and every other D1, P5 school the last 20 years then.....
I answered the FCS vs HS point already....and that fact you seem as unwilling to admit as you are the fact that Shane Beamer is in over his head as HC at usc right now.
go look at it again. I will use a different fcs school this time....but the same SC HS (NW). I will take only NWs kids to recruit the last 40 years each and every year ahead of Charleston Southern’s kids. You can have Scottie spurrier...but I get mason Rudolph, ok? Deal?
we can keep doing this. I can name another 20 FCS schools that don’t produce as much talent as ONE SC HS has in the last 40 years.....so no- you can keep the FCS route. I prefer for our coaches to focus on just one 4a HS in the state over your way. If we bring in other SC Hs powers beyond just the one then I am just bullying you, so I will not do that.
Is that simple enough to understand?

if this debate were rocky 4...there would be that bald dude yelling at rocky to “stop the d@mn fight!!!” When Apollo was getting murdered....you are Apollo.

Last edited:
I answered the FCS vs HS point already....and that fact you seem as unwilling to admit as you are the fact that Shane Beamer is in over his head as HC at usc right now.
go look at it again. I will use a different fcs school this time....but the same SC HS (NW). I will take only NWs kids to recruit the last 40 years each and every year ahead of Charleston Southern’s kids. You can have Scottie spurrier...but I get mason Rudolph, ok? Deal?
we can keep doing this. I can name another 20 FCS schools that don’t produce as much talent as ONE SC HS has in the last 40 years.....so no- you can keep the FCS route. I prefer for our coaches to focus on just one 4a HS in the state over your way. If we bring in other SC Hs powers beyond just the one then I am just bullying you, so I will not do that.

if this debate were rocky 4...there would be that bald dude yelling at rocky to “stop the d@mn fight!!!” When Apollo was getting murdered....you are Apollo.
What players did we get from CSU? How about you take their most recent qb and I take Tony Romo, who went to the same school as Debo.

You guys are failing to acknowledge the male human being can mature physically and mentally a lot from being 17/18yrs old coming from high school vs being 19/20yr old coming from a low level college. I know 20yr old me would of beat the shit out of 18yr old me. We need players ready to play now. Immediately, from day 1. The experience and age alone I imagine is a huge reason why Beamer went after the transfers. Beamer did exactly what we needed. Is it ideal, no, but it's where we are. You got to completely forget about the recruiting rankings for this year.

Reactions: Joe MorrisonLives
First off, I’m not a time traveler but we will win four games this year and that will be our average when Beamer leaves. Clemson’s success kills us on our top rated high school players in this state for a long time. Copy this and tell me I’m wrong in five years if that.

Okay you take NW and I will take Eastern Illinois

Reactions: Joe MorrisonLives
You guys are failing to acknowledge the male human being can mature physically and mentally a lot from being 17/18yrs old coming from high school vs being 19/20yr old coming from a low level college. I know 20yr old me would of beat the shit out of 18yr old me. We need players ready to play now. Immediately, from day 1. The experience and age alone I imagine is a huge reason why Beamer went after the transfers. Beamer did exactly what we needed. Is it ideal, no, but it's where we are. You got to completely forget about the recruiting rankings for this year.
Ask I've been saying with the commentary that we are doing reverse recruiting against our own team.

Now this is a good point. Of course...those same players may have been forward mature coming out of HS...and just Not nearly good enough to play in the SEC...which is what I think we will see.
I hope you’re right though.

Okay you take NW and I will take Eastern Illinois
Ok...I and every other South Carolinian living would take that in a heartbeat.
romo....who else you got in the last 40years from eastern Illinois that SC could use as a recruit?

Feeble and JOeMo....I will make this easy.
I will skip the 100s of legit d1 , P5 college players they’ve produced the last 40 years at NW ...
Will just go with pros since you mention Tony romo.

Players
PlayerPosTeamsFromTo
Johnathan JosephDBCIN,HOU,ARI,TEN20062020
Cordarrelle PattersonWRMIN,OAK,NWE,CHI20132020
Mason RudolphQBPIT20192020
Ben WatsonTENWE,CLE,NOR,BAL20042019
Derek RossDBDAL,MIN,ATL20022004
Jeff BurrisDBBUF,IND,CIN19942003
Rick SanfordDBNWE,SEA19791985

Also, Muschamp said safety is hard on his system, he put emphasis on stopping the run first too and shaped the defense around it. Do you think you know about how he models his defense better than he does?
What are you even talking about? I made no mention of Muschamp's system. You keep ranting about it like a broken record. Can't you even stay on topic?

Yes this is right. I guess he went from running a 4.9 at 5’11 and after a year or two grew 8 inches and got NFL caliber speed.
I know nothing about this kid...but beside Harold carmichael...let me know when you come across a 6’7-6’8 receiver that does well in any level of football.
Ps- I know full well y’all don’t know who that is...and I think he was 6’6 ...but the point still stands
He played for the Eagles. Are you claiming the bio on the kid is wrong?

I was making fun of you, Nebraska and GT are power 5 schools and Pickens is over 300 lbs and that is not a DE, I don't care what he played in high school. MI6 was an undersized ILB coming out of high school, was he out of position at DE?
Once again you reply to my post with nonsensical drivel that has nothing to do with anything I said. Also, an M16 is a rifle.

He played for the Eagles. Are you claiming the bio on the kid is wrong?
Lol. Yes...google still works...that is excellent.
no/ what I am claiming is that if this kid is a good WR at usc or beyond....he will be the first 6’8 receiver that runs a 4.5....and also the first 6’8 receiver to just be good at football. That is what I’m claiming.

Hey look...another 3 star usc recruit just played in the super bowl...Ryan succop.

Grades and Geography....or maybe in the case of the kid from Delaware, undersized. But I am glad he’s coming to SC.
I don’t disagree with the size part; And IF that’s the reason he’s at Delaware...and has proven he can play- then awesome. I don’t care too much about size ...prefer talent. So I’m hopeful that kid in particular can legit play...and maybe went fcs because he is 2 inches shorter than what most SEC programs require out of their Lbs.
the likelihood of all these FCS guys were passed on because size and not talent though...is unlikely.

I don’t disagree with the size part; And IF that’s the reason he’s at Delaware...and has proven he can play- then awesome. I don’t care too much about size ...prefer talent. So I’m hopeful that kid in particular can legit play...and maybe went fcs because he is 2 inches shorter than what most SEC programs require out of their Lbs.
the likelihood of all these FCS guys were passed on because size and not talent though...is unlikely.
Not saying they are all undersized. Some may have been due to grades or injuries their senior year, causing many schools to take a pass. I guess we will see in the fall

Positive is good. Ignoring the reality around you is bad.

I think most of the posters here are realistic and optimistic.

Funny thing is, guys like you, the fake Deboer and others are actively rooting for SB to fail as HBC.

If he succeeds, you guys will never admit you’re wrong, you’ll just start a new posting name and post freely.

If it doesn’t work out, I’d say most of the posters here will agree it all failed.

Personally, I think you (and others) are sad, pathetic people.

In addition, we recruited only 4 of the 25 Vandy signed and only offered 2. One was the 4* DT and their highest rated player, and also a RB. The RB we signed, McDowell is a much better RB and the DT was a 6'3"/270 lb 'tweener'. We already have a plethora of 'DTs' with similar measurables.

And, just for the sake of this argument, let's assume Beamer decided to go in a different direction, and instead of signing 7 transfers, signed 7 available high school recruits. It would not be inconceivable for him to sign only 3 star recruits at that stage - one rated 5.7, three rated 5.6, and 3 rated 5.5.

Using Rivals formula, that would add 495 points to our current 915 points for a total of 1410 points - which in my opinion would be the worst case scenario. Wouldn't be ahead of Vandy, but we would be tied with Cincinnati for 36th, instead of 78th.

EDIT: OH! And, IF Beamer had awarded the last scholarship to a 5.5 rated 3 star, then that recruit would have replaced the 2* for ranking purposes and we would end up with the same score as Vandy at 1425 and tied for 35th place.

That ranking would calm a lot of people down, but I would prefer the 7 transfers who have college experience, all of whom fill critical positions of need, and all of whom could conceivably come in and make an immediate impact in year one.

Quite frankly, I have seen higher rated classes in the past that I wouldn't trade this class for.
You're beautiful, I love you! If my wife dies, wanna see where this goes?

• Haha
Reactions: Lakecock1
They don't need to start, just provide depth!

Well pal....we just had about 5-6 starters from fcs teams on last years team...how did you like it?
Apologies in advance for grouping c. Hill in with the other fcs guys....but he played like an fcs guy attempting to play in the SEC.
I didn’t like it....but they couldn’t compete. 2 wins says it all

But C Hill played better than the other guys, earning the starting position.

Maybe if your boy Hilinski did what was asked instead of apparently pouting because he was told he needed to work on fundamentals things may have worked out differently. Instead, he wound up 3rd string.

Doty apparently did what was asked of him, he rose from 3rd string to starter by the end of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT