ADVERTISEMENT

App State 10-2 this year

The game is Nov 9. Not an optimum time to play a good ooc team. And we have anywhere near the injuries as this year, we'll be suiting up intramural kids by then anyway.

If they are on the schedule, then play the game... You can say that for any teams... Not an optimum time to play a good team when you have injuries...

What exactly is the benefit? A powerhouse team with a under appreciated stature. If you are going to play an App state type program why not play a Penn State,,,,basically the same quality of opponent. An even trade of home and away is bordering on incompetence,

Folks need to make sure they are aware of the facts before concocting opinions. This is a 2 for 1 deal, not an even trade. Your post is incompetent.

App State-South Carolina Football Series Game Dates
Game 1: Nov. 9, 2019 (Columbia, S.C. – Williams-Brice Stadium)
Game 2: Sept. 20, 2025 (Boone, N.C. – Kidd Brewer Stadium)
Game 3: 2027 (Columbia, S.C. – Williams-Brice Stadium)

We play in Boone in 2025. Clemson is a home game that year. Plus 4 SEC home games. There will be an FCS home game for sure. That makes six home games with one unknown OOC game at this point. Pretty sure that will be a home game too. So we will have 7 home games the year USC plays at App State.

Not sure how you think we are losing a home game.

There are legitimate reasons to criticize any Athletic Director, especially for performance on the field, court, diamond, etc. But sometimes I think people are looking for the most ridiculous reasons to criticize Coach Tanner. It’s similar to an obsession. This thread is an example.

Boone will be a great road trip.

I like Tanner. You’ll never see me criticize him anywhere else. Love the guy. Scheduling wise this was a blunder.

I’ve made clear if you are going to give away home games, do a home and home with a power 5 opponent. My point is there is zero reason to give that game to App State. Give it to a big opponent as part of a home and home. In the past we’ve we’ve done neutral site games when clemson is a home game. Against NC State, next season against UNC. But we thought it was a good idea to play in Boone?

Reactions: rogue cock
My God. Its App St. A decent program thats capable of winning but when one starts fretting App state .... good grief.
Play the game, enjoy the snow in however many years and move on.

I like Tanner. You’ll never see me criticize him anywhere else. Love the guy. Scheduling wise this was a blunder.

I’ve made clear if you are going to give away home games, do a home and home with a power 5 opponent. My point is there is zero reason to give that game to App State. Give it to a big opponent as part of a home and home. In the past we’ve we’ve done neutral site games when clemson is a home game. Against NC State, next season against UNC. But we thought it was a good idea to play in Boone?

Again, no home game was “given away”. We will play 7 home games that year, I promise. So you have nothing to worry about.

Again, no home game was “given away”. We will play 7 home games that year, I promise. So you have nothing to worry about.

Hell, we could have 8 home games. My issue isn’t the number of home games. But you are focusing on terminology rather than the point, which I understand why. We are going to Boone rather than scheduling a home and home with a decent team. That’s the point. If you are willing to play a team on the road...go schedule a power 5 team. That’s the point. As I said, in the past we used that extra game, which I have called a home game...because it very well could be...to play a neutral site game. Again, if we are willing to use that game to go on the road instead of home or neutral, go schedule a home and home with a power 5 team. If not, rather have the extra home game than Boone unless NCAA limits number of home games, which I am unaware if they do or not. The way I see it we have 4 road games we have to play. Therefore every other game is a game we can choose to play at home unless I am missing a limit from the NCAA. I wouldn’t want 8 home games. But sure wouldn’t have scheduled a road game there.

Enjoy your trip to Boone if it happens. It would be embarrassing for our football team to play a road game there. I bet Tanner does everything in his power to buy out and find a neutral site game that season when the time comes.

Let me know if I missed the limit of home games. Very possible.

Hell, we could have 8 home games. My issue isn’t the number of home games. But you are focusing on terminology rather than the point, which I understand why. We are going to Boone rather than scheduling a home and home with a decent team. That’s the point. If you are willing to play a team on the road...go schedule a power 5 team. That’s the point. As I said, in the past we used that extra game, which I have called a home game...because it very well could be...to play a neutral site game. Again, if we are willing to use that game to go on the road instead of home or neutral, go schedule a home and home with a power 5 team. If not, rather have the extra home game than Boone unless NCAA limits number of home games, which I am unaware if they do or not. The way I see it we have 4 road games we have to play. Therefore every other game is a game we can choose to play at home unless I am missing a limit from the NCAA. I wouldn’t want 8 home games. But sure wouldn’t have scheduled a road game there.

Enjoy your trip to Boone if it happens. It would be embarrassing for our football team to play a road game there. I bet Tanner does everything in his power to buy out and find a neutral site game that season when the time comes.

Let me know if I missed the limit of home games. Very possible.

I can respect you don’t like the optics of it. And you are correct, the repeated phrase “losing a home game” is problematic because it is simply inaccurate.

We are doing App State a solid. They are relatively new to FBS. To gain more and more legitimacy, they need to play the big boys OOC. Look at how we played UCF in Orlando a few years ago. Now look at UCF.

Miami also has played at App State. I just don’t feel there is any shame in it. It is a quirky road trip for a team like USC for sure, but that is part of what makes it interesting.

Reactions: Cybercock
I can respect you don’t like the optics of it. And you are correct, the repeated phrase “losing a home game” is problematic because it is simply inaccurate.

We are doing App State a solid. They are relatively new to FBS. To gain more and more legitimacy, they need to play the big boys OOC. Look at how we played UCF in Orlando a few years ago. Now look at UCF.

Miami also has played at App State. I just don’t feel there is any shame in it. It is a quirky road trip for a team like USC for sure, but that is part of what makes it interesting.

But UCF won the Fiesta Bowl the year we played there. Also, we recruit Florida players and it’s nice to have more games there which was the reason we did it. The game at App State won’t impact recruiting at all.

I’m not a fan of helping out App State personally. If this were the case I’d rather help out Coastal who is in the exact same position. It is also worth noting Mark Richt wasn’t happy about having to play at App State in his 3rd game as coach. Probably for the same reasons some here don’t like it.

You are correct, we are doing ASU a "solid." My problem is we shouldn't be doing ANYONE a "solid" as we already do that for our instate schools who need the money. Would much rather schedule a home and home against say a Maryland or a Virginia who are both in a fertile recruiting area that we need to exploit. We need to do things solely to benefit us.

Reactions: Carolina4
I'd rather be in the NC mountains than about anywhere - up at the cabin where there is a trout stream and plenty of trails. Would rather go to ASU to watch us play a game than any big city. And the ride down to Boone to any of the many restaurants is a good experience. Never had a bad one. Just hope we win. Last time we played them, long ago, we did not.

So wait... people bitch that we play bad cup cake teams when we beat them, then complain when we play good teams? Just go win the damn game. Don't be scared, for Christ's sake. Just go win. If you can't then do your best. What is wrong with just playing the games? Stop overthinking it. It's football. Suit up and dress down. March onward to victory!
They aren't good enough for us to get credit for beating them but they are good enough to beat us. The very definition of a bad game to schedule. You either break even or lose, there is no way to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT