ADVERTISEMENT

Bama players test positive for COVID-19

My gut feeling.....the season MAY go down the tubes. This isn't a good start. But what do you expect out of these "kids" ….. aka, most at Alabama are going to be millionaires before too long. They think they are invincible and can't be smart and stay away from parties, …. just being stupid. Am I wrong? Example, the place in Missouri (pool with 50 kids in it). Gees.

Reactions: vacock#
One thought I had, what if this happens in Week 2 or beyond on a Thursday? Obviously the players get quarantined, and if some or all are starters you're screwed. But beyond that now the question is could they have infected others ? Results take 2 days. Do you take the chance of exposing the opponents players, in a stadium full of people ?

It's a good example of how difficult it will be to have a college football season. Pro leagues can essentially sequester their athletes, or nearly so. Not so for college athletes. And with 85 scholarship players per team (and who knows how many coaches, trainers, and assistants on the sideline), and 120-something FBS teams, it's hard to imagine all of them staying covid-negative for the season. And then when somebody tests positive, what will the protocols be for their teammates? How many players must self-quarantine based on their close contact to a covid-positive person somewhere on campus?

Say a roommate of a star player tests positive two days before a huge late-season game. Who's going to enforce the self-quarantine of that star player? Can anyone imagine Dabo forcing Trevor Lawrence to self-quarantine for 14 days in that situation? And if he does, and other coaches make similar moves, how much less interesting will that make the game?

I really hope we see college football this fall, but I'm afraid if it does, it's going to look so different from what we're used to that it won't be all that compelling to watch.

I said it before and I will say it again. The virus is weakening itself. It’s not nearly as deadly as thought. Is a 2 week quarantine even necessary? Will it be by then? Most believe therapeutics will be available by fall. Will that change things?

my prediction is you see stadiums available to be filled to max capacity and a normal season.

Considering the coaches and staff that are in the high risk bracket what happens to the team if Saban tests positive? Zoom sidelines?

I said it before and I will say it again. The virus is weakening itself. It’s not nearly as deadly as thought. Is a 2 week quarantine even necessary? Will it be by then? Most believe therapeutics will be available by fall. Will that change things?

my prediction is you see stadiums available to be filled to max capacity and a normal season.
No right thinking coaching staff is not going to follow strict protocol on quarantine. Just imagine several players contract the virus and the staff knew about another player testing positive and they did not follow guidelines. How many parents are going to be ok with that. The lawsuits would be crippling.

No right thinking coaching staff is not going to follow strict protocol on quarantine. Just imagine several players contract the virus and the staff knew about another player testing positive and they did not follow guidelines. How many parents are going to be ok with that. The lawsuits would be crippling.

You are not following what I’m saying. The guidelines will change just like they have changed since February. It’s still 3 months before football season basically.

I don't disagree with you about the virus. Fortunately, it seems like nearly every new thing we learn about the virus is encouraging news. But I'm very skeptical that officials in every part of the country will all get on the same page about protocols by the start of September. It's not hard to imagine schools like So Cal, UCLA, Northwestern, Boston College, etc. operating in a very different local regulatory environment than most of the SEC schools. What effect will that have on schedules, conferences, and the overall NCAA season? I don't know. But it's a lot of moving parts that have to align.

I do think we'll know a lot more about the potential for crowds in a month or so than we do now.

I don't disagree with you about the virus. Fortunately, it seems like nearly every new thing we learn about the virus is encouraging news. But I'm very skeptical that officials in every part of the country will all get on the same page about protocols by the start of September. It's not hard to imagine schools like So Cal, UCLA, Northwestern, Boston College, etc. operating in a very different local regulatory environment than most of the SEC schools. What effect will that have on schedules, conferences, and the overall NCAA season? I don't know. But it's a lot of moving parts that have to align.

I do think we'll know a lot more about the potential for crowds in a month or so than we do now.

I think you may see rules and protocols set by conference. Maybe even only conference games at the worst. That’s really the only changes I see accruing if that.

Reactions: ClemDent
I halfway think they just need to rip the bandaid off this thing. Bring all the players back. Quarantine them together. Give Covid19 a month to run its course through the players and then be done with it. Local herd immunity. Just keep old people away.
The reality is this is what will need to be accepted in order for schools to stay open this Fall and Spring. The students are going to test positive. They aren’t going to isolate themselves (many won’t even know they have it). They will pass it around.

Thinking college football is going to be played with full capacity is about as crazy as me playing 1st baseball for the Red Sox

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Why do we care if a kid in perfect shape gets covid19?

Sign a release to play football and understand that you have a less than 0.05% to die from covid19 and move on. Wait another football season and watch the people who actually pay for it disappear.

Old people projecting their fears on young healthy kids who are more likely to die of other diseases or trauma.

They should have a big party with all of the university’s athletes so that all could get infected and get it behind us quickly. It is no threat to these kids.

You get it. Too many have the blinders on. We already are on 3 months with this virus and we have no sports (unless you count NASCAR which I don’t). Yes the NBA is coming back but it’s going to be isolated at Disney. You cannot do that with college football.

While the players themselves are at less risk, there are a lot of coaches that would be at higher risk. The NCAA can’t afford to have a coach die every month for their decision to open it back up. There’s a lot of people that won’t like reading it but it’s the truth.

And for the “there’s too much revenue not too” crowd you need to look up how much money was left on the table from March Madness. You think the NCAA wanted to walk away from billions? They even announced the no fans route before cancelling. They had already cancelled conference tournaments but still tried to have the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT