ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson professors planning walkout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you are infectious disease experts, I am not. I have read many conflicting reports about the efficacy of masks and vaccines. Still, I chose to get vaccinated and wear a mask when required to do so. I received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine in March, and have never contracted Covid-19 or the Delta variant to my knowledge.

I have spent the last 25 years on college and university campuses, and my students cannot afford to be sent home again. They do not perform as well in online learning environments as they do in on-campus classrooms.

My son attends a different school and is a college senior. I want him to enjoy all the benefits of campus life: campus ministry, fraternity, hanging out with friends, in-person learning, intramural sports, living on-campus, etc.

If masks and vaccines increase the odds of students remaining on campus for the entire academic year, I am for it. I do not like wearing a masks, but I do not want my students or my son to be sent home again.

Some say wearing a masks sacrifices freedom, yet abiding by mask mandates has allowed to me eat in restaurants, shop in stores, and go to work. Wearing a mask, when required, has allowed me keep doing the things I enjoy.

I do not trust either political party. I am a moderate, democrats and republicans stopped caring about my vote awhile ago. I am tired of the mixed messages about Covid, but I make the best decisions I can with information available.

I'll seat back and wait to be attacked.
Completely agree!

Some of you are infectious disease experts, I am not. I have read many conflicting reports about the efficacy of masks and vaccines. Still, I chose to get vaccinated and wear a mask when required to do so. I received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine in March, and have never contracted Covid-19 or the Delta variant to my knowledge.

I have spent the last 25 years on college and university campuses, and my students cannot afford to be sent home again. They do not perform as well in online learning environments as they do in on-campus classrooms.

My son attends a different school and is a college senior. I want him to enjoy all the benefits of campus life: campus ministry, fraternity, hanging out with friends, in-person learning, intramural sports, living on-campus, etc.

If masks and vaccines increase the odds of students remaining on campus for the entire academic year, I am for it. I do not like wearing a masks, but I do not want my students or my son to be sent home again.

Some say wearing a masks sacrifices freedom, yet abiding by mask mandates has allowed to me eat in restaurants, shop in stores, and go to work. Wearing a mask, when required, has allowed me keep doing the things I enjoy.

I do not trust either political party. I am a moderate, democrats and republicans stopped caring about my vote awhile ago. I am tired of the mixed messages about Covid, but I make the best decisions I can with information available.

I'll seat back and wait to be attacked.

Completely respect your position, However, if you don't trust political parties, why would you trust the health beaurocrats attached to them? And if you've been a professor for 25 years, certainly you understand the importance of safety data (or lack thereof) and indemnity? One of the most vaccine hesitant groups are PHDs.

Reactions: chief2791
My God. The ignorance of a large portion of the fans on here is shocking. You anti-vax, anti-mask, pro Maga folks are completely ignorant folks who've been duped into thinking that you're somehow being oppressed. Give me a break. You guys make me embarrassed to be a Gamecock. Take your shot and wear your mask or we really will never get past this. You idiots think some post on Facebook or Instagram or some page on duck duck go make you smarter than the doctors and professionals who have been studying this stuff for years. This ignorant stupidity is what I thought we would have been making fun of the taters for. I've been here since the very beginning under 3 or 4 different usernames and I'm done. Instead of gamecock sports, this page has turned into a political cesspool.

QB4YAWDWGBBEPMIVQHHT2GBKBY.jpg

Millions of people have a lung condition that prohibits them from wearing a mask. From the start, the cdc has not recommended they wear one... that is to say unless they have recently changed that recomendation to fit their most recent narrative.
We that are unable to wear masks were subjected to more than a year of lockdown during the last mask mandate. Lockdown as in stay home. Many of us eventually got the vaccine when our time finally came and luckly around that same time most mask mandates were lifted. So for the last several months we have been free to live our lives outside of our homes. Hallelujah we could pick and choose places to go where masks are not necessary. Free at last after more than a year.
Now the govt seems hellbent on bring back masks on everyone. So millions of us can go back to lockdown? A vaccinated lockdown? Are you kidding me? All because some arent vaccinated? Unbelievable.
Screw all of you who want to use the govt to force it's or your's will on people. And to those that dont want to get vaccinated, fine. I shouldnt have to change my life because of it.

Reactions: Thirdcatgy
Millions of people have a lung condition that prohibits them from wearing a mask. From the start, the cdc has not recommended they wear one... that is to say unless they have recently changed that recomendation to fit their most recent narrative.
We that are unable to wear masks were subjected to more than a year of lockdown during the last mask mandate. Lockdown as in stay home. Many of us eventually got the vaccine when our time finally came and luckly around that same time most mask mandates were lifted. So for the last several months we have been free to live our lives outside of our homes. Hallelujah we could pick and choose places to go where masks are not necessary. Free at last after more than a year.
Now the govt seems hellbent on bring back masks on everyone. So millions of us can go back to lockdown? A vaccinated lockdown? Are you kidding me? All because some arent vaccinated? Unbelievable.
Screw all of you who want to use the govt to force it's or your's will on people. And to those that dont want to get vaccinated, fine. I shouldnt have to change my life because of it.

"We have to cover our faces because other people didn't cover their ass." ~ Bill Maher on Delta Variant

"We have to cover our faces because other people didn't cover their ass." ~ Bill Maher on Delta Variant
Ol’ Bill has been surprising me lately. I guess he’s and old liberal where Liberty still mattered. He’s taken some surprising stances lately.

My favorite was on the cultural appropriation of sports after the Olympics surfing story.

“How do we know that they were the first to stand on a board on water? It seems like its something that any person near any ocean would eventually do.”

Reactions: Thirdcatgy
Ol’ Bill has been surprising me lately. I guess he’s and old liberal where Liberty still mattered. He’s taken some surprising stances lately.

My favorite was on the cultural appropriation of sports after the Olympics surfing story.

“How do we know that they were the first to stand on a board on water? It seems like its something that any person near any ocean would eventually do.”

Maher has been kinda surprising lately...perhaps he is practicing some intellectual honesty in the midst of so much liberal nonsense.

His interview with Shapiro and the MSNBC guy a week or two ago was interesting. Very interesting.

Maher has been kinda surprising lately...perhaps he is practicing some intellectual honesty in the midst of so much liberal nonsense.

His interview with Shapiro and the MSNBC guy a week or two ago was interesting. Very interesting.
Saw that. If we’re going with truthfulness, Shapiro won. If we’re going with say whatever you want, that guy was a pit bull.

My God. The ignorance of a large portion of the fans on here is shocking. You anti-vax, anti-mask, pro Maga folks are completely ignorant folks who've been duped into thinking that you're somehow being oppressed. Give me a break. You guys make me embarrassed to be a Gamecock. Take your shot and wear your mask or we really will never get past this. You idiots think some post on Facebook or Instagram or some page on duck duck go make you smarter than the doctors and professionals who have been studying this stuff for years. This ignorant stupidity is what I thought we would have been making fun of the taters for. I've been here since the very beginning under 3 or 4 different usernames and I'm done. Instead of gamecock sports, this page has turned into a political cesspool.

Just STFU. Has nothing to do with MAGA. MAGA was led by the guy that pushed these vaccines to market faster than any of the left wing nut jobs said it would happen. Questions about masks and vaccines are from people all over the political spectrum. Some of the highest level of resistance is from minority communities that certainly weren't MAGA.

And you are the idiot if you take something without considering the possibility of negative consequences, especially something that hasn't been fully approved. I took it because I weighed the risks vs the benefit based ON MY PERSONAL SITUATION. And that should be the case for everyone. Stop being a narcissistic ahole that thinks you know what is best for everyone else, because you don't.

Last edited:
Just STFU. Has nothing to do with MAGA. MAGA was led by the guy that pushed these vaccines to market faster than any of the left wing nut jobs said it would happen. Questions about masks and vaccines are from people all over the political spectrum. Some of the highest level of resistance is from minority communities that certainly weren't MAGA.

And you are the idiot if you take something without considering the possibility of negative consequences, especially something that hasn't been fully approved. I took it because I weighed the risks vs the benefit based ON MY PERSONAL SITUATION. And that should be the case for everyone. Stop being a narcissistic ahole that thinks you know what is best for everyone else, because you don't.
In a recent poll 30% of Republicans say they won't take the vaccine compared to 5% of Democrats. At least things have improved for Republicans as it was 41% in March.

No masks, no class. Clemson professors plan walkout over lack of COVID precautions​

BY LYN RIDDLE
UPDATED AUGUST 16, 2021 11:09 AM

Some Clemson University professors are planning to walk out of their classrooms Wednesday to protest the school administration’s decision to not require masks in classrooms.

Kimberly Paul, an associate professor of genetics and chemistry, announced the protest on Facebook.

“The lack of a mask mandate is endangering the health and lives of all of us. University leadership is not listening to us. It’s time to take action,” she wrote.

Wednesday is the first day of classes. The protest was scheduled to last for eight hours on Bowman Field, a large field near the center of campus. Among the nearby buildings is Sikes Hall, where the university president’s office is located. It’s where ESPN sets up when College GameDay comes to town..

Pickens County, one of two counties in which Clemson is located, has a high incidence of COVID-19 cases, like all counties in South Carolina, and local schools went to virtual learning beginning this week.

On Monday morning, about 100 parents and children showed up at the Pickens County school district office to protest virtual schooling.

Clemson announced it would return to full-time face-to-face classes without a mask mandate. The S.C. General Assembly aimed to block mask mandates in public schools earlier this summer, though that effort has been thrown into some legal question. The University of South Carolina attempted to institute a mask mandate inside campus buildings but walked back the requirement in light of an opinion by the state Attorney General that said state lawmakers had intended to ban such mask mandates.

Clemson officials said, however, they encourage mask wearing.

Andrew Pyle, associate professor of communication at Clemson, tweeted, “Struck by this right now - if @ClemsonUniv is unwilling to burn some political capital over a major public health issue, is there anything we’ll burn political capital for? I mean, what’s the point of having a huge amount of clout in the state if we won’t use it... to save lives?”

He also replied to a tweet from Clemson President James Clements, who said he was looking forward to the new student convocation. His tweet included two photos of a large student assembly in which no masks were apparent.

Pyle said, “Just to be totally clear - this [type of] gathering, w/o masks - this will be why we have to go online in a week. I hope, desperately, that none of our students, faculty, or staff contract long COVID - or, heaven forbid - die from this preventable illness.

Pyle said he was specifically asking tenured professors to walk out because their jobs are secure.

“I know many lecturers and staff will feel vulnerable,” he tweeted.

The organizers of the walkout noted Pickens County School District’s decision to go to virtual learning due to a high number of positive tests among students and staff.

On Friday, after nine days of school, 163 Pickens County students had tested positive, one was hospitalized, and 634 students were in quarantine. Also as of Friday, 26 employees had tested positive, and four had been hospitalized in the last month. Thirty employees are quarantined.

All Pickens County schools are closed and all school activities are canceled through Friday. District officials said they would announce plans for next week by Thursday.

“We have learned in the first nine days that we are dealing with a very different challenge than last year,” the district said in a statement. “Currently, in our state and county, the coronavirus Delta variant is spreading rampantly.”

Tell all professors around the country... Go get you F'ing vaccines... They are one of the ones with higher education who refuse to get their vaccines along with they puppet students who refuse to be vaccinated...

And if you want face mask in the class room, then by golly, wear your mask and don't worry about others who don't want to wear face mask in class rooms... It's a Free Nation as of today... Tomorrow, maybe a different story...

In a recent poll 30% of Republicans say they won't take the vaccine compared to 5% of Democrats. At least things have improved for Republicans as it was 41% in March.

And yet those lagging behind according to the cdc are minorities. Those aren't bastions of republican voters.

Perhaps the political divide over vaccines is a bit more manufactured than previously thought.

While I'm not one to believe that masks prevent epidemics/pandemics, and I wholeheartedly endorse vaccines, I will disagree that "millions of people have lung conditions that prohibits wearing masks". That is simply wrong information. Masks do not inhibit oxygen exchange. Even people with severe COPD and asthma can wear masks.

And yet those lagging behind according to the cdc are minorities. Those aren't bastions of republican voters.

Perhaps the political divide over vaccines is a bit more manufactured than previously thought.
The CDC doesn't gather data based on party affiliation.

Reactions: PC31
While I'm not one to believe that masks prevent epidemics/pandemics, and I wholeheartedly endorse vaccines, I will disagree that "millions of people have lung conditions that prohibits wearing masks". That is simply wrong information. Masks do not inhibit oxygen exchange. Even people with severe COPD and asthma can wear masks.
Many people with copd can wear a mask, I'll give you that. Many people cant. Explain why the cdc website would not recommend children under the age of two and those with chronic lung conditions wear masks if it doesnt inhibit oxygen exchange. I can put one on, I cant move with one on... but I'll try to remember your theory the next time I have to use a rescue inhaler moments after I do.

In this context, age has little to do with anything. Please explain what "stats" I am supposed to "check", and how those stats support whatever it is that you think age has to do with this thread's context. A person has the right to take measures to protect their personal health and well-being, regardless if they are 38 yrs old or 74 yrs old. And people of both ages have died to covid.

Again, you are straying from the context of this thread. Even people with vaccinations are still getting covid afterwards. People with pre-existing co-morbidities who are vaccinated, are still dying to recent strains of covid due to the strain placed on those co-morbidities.

No one has EVER publicly labeled a vaccine of ANY KIND as a "prophylactic", and certainly the vaccines for covid have NEVER been described as such by any credible physician. Prophylactics are intended to prevent or ward off the spread or occurrence of disease or infection. A vaccine is designed to build antibodies in the human body to better fight against INFECTION - so that even though the host body becomes INFECTED (NOT a prophylactic), said infection is not as intense and is therefore not ultimately fatal.

In the case of viral infections that are known to result in fatalities, such vaccines mean a LOT more than "next to nothing" to those who have been vaccinated.

Again, your logic strains interpretation: are YOU suggesting that Clemson University are forcing their professors by policy to involve themselves in automobile accidents on a daily basis? Because that is based on YOUR logic here, entirely. With automobiles, there are COUNTLESS safety features and devices required BY LAW to be utilized by operators, as well as driving laws that are required BY LAW to be complied with with every minute someone is operating a motor vehicle on a public roadway. Because of the inherit dangers to public safety such operation of machines present.

In the act of operating motor vehicles, people like the professors have many options of safety to rely on, while at the same time, they can expect OTHER operators to be held to lawful compliance as well. That's NOT THE CASE with having to teach in classrooms full of un-vaccinated students who don't have to wear masks.

So now you say that I am mongering fear in this thread? Have I truly made you afraid? Just by debating your position makes you afraid? That is NOT my intention.

People have been suggesting at least to double-layer masks for more than a year now. This isn't news for many beyond you. When non-N95 masks were being promoted, and people started making their own custom cloth masks, tons of DIY tips came out to use two layers, and use different materials for each layer - like linen cotton for the outer layer, but microfiber or silk for the inner layer so that little fiber fuzzies would form inside the mask, and tickle your mouth or nose. They said that multiple varying materials provided better filtering means for moisture that may pass through the mask materials.

People have been using multiple-layer masks for months now - people were wearing two masks - a N95 under a cloth mask - for months now. They seem to be breathing OK....
You are wasting your time trying to convince these morons of what should be plainly obvious. Their heels are dug in because they have a politically driven alternate reality built for them to retreat to.

Reactions: Forever Fowl
You are wasting your time trying to convince these morons of what should be plainly obvious. Their heels are dug in because they have a politically driven alternate reality built for them to retreat to.

Ha. The funny thing is, as a stand alone post, both sides would read this and nod their heads "yes".

Reactions: vacock#
Ha. The funny thing is, as a stand alone post, both sides would read this and nod their heads "yes".
The main difference between anti-maskers and believers of science is that one is self-serving and the other cares about humanity as a whole. Ironically, using a mask and getting a vaccine serves yourself just as much as everyone else.

“People” on here want to paint me as a scared, virtue signaling granola eater. I despise both ends of the American political spectrum. I believe in gun ownership. Unchecked abortion rights make me uncomfortable. I was wary of the vaccine until the clinical trials came out. I am a pragmatist. I am not a bleeding heart. I have a PhD in genetics. The vaccine is as safe as any vaccine we’ve ever created. Masks do prevent transmission, even if only a little in some situations. The right thing to do for everyone’s health is to get vaccinated and wear a mask when transmission is high. If these are actions that you refuse to take, you are selfish, a moron or both.

Reactions: Forever Fowl
The main difference between anti-maskers and believers of science is that one is self-serving and the other cares about humanity as a whole. Ironically, using a mask and getting a vaccine serves yourself just as much as everyone else.

“People” on here want to paint me as a scared, virtue signaling granola eater. I despise both ends of the American political spectrum. I believe in gun ownership. Unchecked abortion rights make me uncomfortable. I was wary of the vaccine until the clinical trials came out. I am a pragmatist. I am not a bleeding heart. I have a PhD in genetics. The vaccine is as safe as any vaccine we’ve ever created. Masks do prevent transmission, even if only a little in some situations. The right thing to do for everyone’s health is to get vaccinated and wear a mask when transmission is high. If these are actions that you refuse to take, you are selfish, a moron or both.
Glad you’re here to straighten us morons out

You dont care about anything but yourself you lying sack of shit.

Reactions: PC31
The masks are made in China, just like the virus was. What could possibly go wrong? The more vaccines are losing their effectiveness, the more our government is pushing them. When you “follow the science”, the trend says we should be putting resources into better treatment protocols. But the government will not do that but they will push masks. I can’t fault anyone for not trusting the government on this issue.

So in a county of 350 million, millions by definition would equal 2 million. 37 million actually have lung issues.

https://www.lung.org/about-us/mission-impact-and-history/our-impact

A masks would harm some percentage of this group's breathing per the CDC.

So I hear your point, but your emphatic “wrong information “ is a bit misinformation.

Did you watch Pee Wee’s Playhouse and moron is the word of the day or something?

• Haha
Reactions: kawalski
Dr Scott Gotlieb, former FDA Commissioner, was on TV this morning & said masking absolutely helps, not stops, the spread of Covid. Little does he know that all he needed to do was check the FGF & he would immediately find that all of his years of expertise, education, & experience was nothing compared to our resident make believe experts who get their information from facebook.
BTW for our tin foil hat posters, Gotlieb is a member of a conservative think tank, nonetheless, he is part of this massive conspiracy to get you to wear mask because well ......I'll let ya'll fill in your own BS. I don't have that much imagination.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33

Okay genetics professor. What’s your take on what’s happening in Israel? Or Hawaii for that matter? Oh and as a control group would you also pontificate on Sweden?

I’m serious. I’m a moron and you’re a scientist. I need some scientific splainin’

Dr Scott Gotlieb, former FDA Commissioner, was on TV this morning & said masking absolutely helps, not stops, the spread of Covid. Little does he know that all he needed to do was check the FGF & he would immediately find that all of his years of expertise, education, & experience was nothing compared to our resident make believe experts who get their information from facebook.
BTW for our tin foil hat posters, Gotlieb is a member of a conservative think tank, nonetheless, he is part of this massive conspiracy to get you to wear mask because well ......I'll let ya'll fill in your own BS. I don't have that much imagination.
During a segment on CNN, University of Minnesota Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy Director Michael Osterholm said cloth or paper masks don't work to stop the spread of the disease.

"The typical mask you buy in the drug store is not really effective in keeping out virus, which is small enough to pass through the material. It might, however, provide some slight benefit in keep out gross droplets if someone coughs or sneezes on you. I do not recommend you wear a mask," Fauci wrote in an email on February 5, 2020.

During a segment on CNN, University of Minnesota Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy Director Michael Osterholm said cloth or paper masks don't work to stop the spread of the disease.

"The typical mask you buy in the drug store is not really effective in keeping out virus, which is small enough to pass through the material. It might, however, provide some slight benefit in keep out gross droplets if someone coughs or sneezes on you. I do not recommend you wear a mask," Fauci wrote in an email on February 5, 2020.
Doctors also used to endorse certain cigarettes. As more information becomes available smart people will evolve and modify their thinking. You seem to have lots of trouble understanding that concept.

So in a county of 350 million, millions by definition would equal 2 million. 37 million actually have lung issues.

https://www.lung.org/about-us/mission-impact-and-history/our-impact

A masks would harm some percentage of this group's breathing per the CDC.

So I hear your point, but your emphatic “wrong information “ is a bit misinformation.
Personally I am very uncomfortable talking conditions such as mine. I only do so out of frustration because people like me dont appear to have a voice in the decisions being made... and that includes the medical community. I can hardly keep up with the number of procedures I havent had done because I have to walk in to a medical facility with a mask.

Doctors also used to endorse certain cigarettes. As more information becomes available smart people will evolve and modify their thinking. You seem to have lots of trouble understanding that concept.
Ah. Rebutted. Change the subject. Got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT