ADVERTISEMENT

Beamer OC question...

kappa kock

Jun 10, 2000
I haven't seen this yet, but is there a chance GA Mangus could be OC with Shaw QB coach. GA was here with Beamer. Shaw got along great with GA. I always liked GA. Your thoughts...

Reactions: patback33
His name was thrown out there somewhere. I’m leery of digging too much into the Spurrier era well. Part of what doomed Spurrier was lazy hires.

Reactions: lakemurraycock1
I’m betting ole Ray has made a deal with Bobo that new HC keeps him as OC. Prove me wrong. I hope Beamer can bring in his own staff

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I’m betting ole Ray has made a deal with Bobo that new HC keeps him as OC. Prove me wrong. I hope Beamer can bring in his own staff
I have heard he is being told he will be retained by school and new staff could use him as offensive analyst like Ellis Johnson was for defense for a while. He may not accept that but as for on field coach they are not telling new guy who they MUST keep other than encouraging to keep Shaw in some capacity.

Man oh man. I hope Beamer is not the hire (number 1). But, one of the few silver linings I see with Beamer is that he appears to be sold on Air Raid (offense). IF that's the case...yes he would probably bring Garrett Riley or someone like that...that is familiar with coaching that offense.
It would mean Bobo is pointless to keep. Once you commit to the Air Raid....that's what you run. No bouncing back and forth with I, etc.

3 years ago I would have thought (and we would have seen) hire a Bobo type to come run the offense. Even Saban (bastion of defense and all those thoughts that accompany ball control, possession, TOP, limited number of offensive plays for EITHER team in a game) has acknowledged that with the present rules you can't "do" that type of football anymore. So, the Kurt Ropers (spread ball control 4-5 yards dink/dunk), Bobos of the world are truly dinosaurs on offense nowadays. It can work some.....but ultimately if the other team is scoring on 3 plays and often quickly...it totally negates the field position football game. So, Air Raid (*and other similiar offensive systems) uses these principles front and center. It works and with present rules not going away....we had better get on board now.
We were way out front with run and shoot in the mid 80s....We need to return to wide open offense with defined rules that works.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
The word was Garrett Riley, brother of Lincoln, who is the OC at SMU.
That sounds pretty good. There is a thread over on TBS where there is discussion that he might be fired by SMU even though he has produced record breaking offenses. It sounds like he is not popular among fans for some reason. Frankly, I don't really care if he is popular at SMU.

Indeed we need a special preparation style offense. Riley is running mostly Rhett Lashley's offense, since that's who he took over from but he comes from that same mold of blending power run with air Raid principles. This offense if it happens, could be potentially awesome with Harris and Lloyd and recruit some good , don't have to be great receivers.

That sounds pretty good. There is a thread over on TBS where there is discussion that he might be fired by SMU even though he has produced record breaking offenses. It sounds like he is not popular among fans for some reason. Frankly, I don't really care if he is popular at SMU.
He has produced record breaking players everywhere he has coached. Smu hc is a candidate for the vandy job so riley has options

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Indeed we need a special preparation style offense. Riley is running mostly Rhett Lashley's offense, since that's who he took over from but he comes from that same mold of blending power run with air Raid principles. This offense if it happens, could be potentially awesome with Harris and Lloyd and recruit some good , don't have to be great receivers.
The problem with Lashley's offense is that it wasn't effective against the better defenses. It was great against average or less defenses. Werner's offense was more effective....wish we could have used him differently. BMac was an idiot not to take advantage of that offense and experience.

I think that Mangus would be a good TE coach working with Connor as QB coach. Maybe give him assistant head coach of offense or co-offensive coordinator. He knows a ton of football, and has always been out in front in terms of play-calling and plays....2 different things btw.

I think that Mangus would be a good TE coach working with Connor as QB coach. Maybe give him assistant head coach of offense or co-offensive coordinator. He knows a ton of football, and has always been out in front in terms of play-calling and plays....2 different things btw.
When he was at Delaware Valley, he ran a spread version of Spurrier's offense. Believe he ran the same when he was OC under Stockstill at Middle Tennessee State.

Reactions: patback33
I think he won a national coach of the year award at Del Val....which is more than any of our other candidates.

Hopefully, the search committee is trying to put together a staff, and not just a head coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT