ADVERTISEMENT

Beamer top candidate at Oklahoma.

Didn't Venables' kid want to play somewhere else his last season? I think I read that somewhere. If his kids are finishing up school and moving on he might not desire the stability that kept him at Clemson so long.
His kid is done with football. He recently decided to end his fb career due to injuries and is going to grad school.

If you think the staff here was hand-picked then I have some land to sell you. He did a decent job with the personalities he wanted, the time he had, and the location he was picking coaches to come to for a new job. His new hires will be more about chemistry than just getting a "big" name.
Aha...so he's bad at chemistry then?

Nor does it equate with our recruiting being “so bad”. Let’s see what happens during this recruiting cycle before declaring it a failure.

That's why I literally typed it is not "so bad" or even "bad".

It's almost like you didn't read my post. I said I was trying to get past the back and forth, not keep recycling it.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
As far as recruiting goes, USC is exactly where it usually is, in the #20-25 range, no difference that I can see.

It's interesting USC annually brings in top 25ish type classes but rarely does its' on the field ranking come close to that.

Last edited:
My problem with this class is that it literally doesn't address any of our glaring weaknesses. You combine that with last years class and its a recipe for failure unless you have a staff that can out scheme and out coach our opponents. Sadly, I can't see Satterfield or Beamer doing that on offense.

As far as recruiting goes, USC is exactly where it usually is, in the #20-25 range, no difference that I can see.

It's interesting USC annually brings in top 25ish type classes but rarely does its' on the field ranking come close to that.

Mainly because we haven't ever had the coaching (other than under Spurrier) to overcome being 8th to 10th in recruiting vs the rest of the conference. In another conference we could be a top 3 or 4 most talented team.

Proves nothing.

Here's an award for trying.

you_tried_trophy_customer_grande.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: caughtlookin
I get his point. My point is I don't see many examples besides Dabo where a coach is a CEO without extensive experience as a Head Coach. His example of Saban, still rules the roost. He just delegates some responsibility to others. Dabo's success is basically an isolated example of the principle. Not sure from watching the coaching carousel every year that coaches are hired for their ability to be a CEO. Most are hired either for their offensive or defensive acumen and their ability to recruit.
I can think of quite a few off the top of my head. Mel Tucker, Chip Kelley, Fickell, Brian Kelley, Dino Babers, Peterson, Orgeron, Mendenhall. They haven’t achieved Saban status but who has?

Or perhaps the new coach is a better evaluator and developer of talent than the previous washed up has been we had last go round. I mean, he can’t be worse.

I actually foresee that being repeated often over the next year or two.

Recruiting was Beamers thing, but if the class rankings slide, or end up staying right where they've historically been, I think the unprovable "better evaluator" will be repeated a lot.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I actually foresee that being repeated often over the next year or two.

Recruiting was Beamers thing, but if the class rankings slide, or end up staying right where they've historically been, I think the unprovable "better evaluator" will be repeated a lot.
it’s all speculation. No one knows what will or won’t happen. Im hopeful beamer gets it done through both evaluation and development

Reactions: WingchunCock
it’s all speculation. No one knows what will or won’t happen. Im hopeful beamer gets it done through both evaluation and development

It is all speculation. But I feel resigned to the back and forth being drug into unprovable, unquantifiable areas, like evaluation.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Even if Shane Beamer is the greatest recruiter to ever set foot on the South Carolina campus, he won't bring in a significant number of elite players UNTIL he proves to be a good "Game Day" coach. Beating "down" Florida or Auburn teams does not do that. Bringing in a good Offensive Coordinator to pair up with Clayton White will give Shane Beamer a good chance to get "signature" wins in order to get the attention of a lot of big time recruits.

Reactions: Lakecock1
and yet our offense is #116 in the nation and our defense is atrocious against the run.
RIght....so is this Beamer's fault or Muschamp's? Beamer and company have been in Columbia about one year now. At some point....if you are the cook you have to answer for the food. He's had a year to add or subtract ingredients.

I can think of quite a few off the top of my head. Mel Tucker, Chip Kelley, Fickell, Brian Kelley, Dino Babers, Peterson, Orgeron, Mendenhall. They haven’t achieved Saban status but who has?
This is a terrible list you have made. I know the question asked...referring to CEO HCs.
But, leaving out the important parts are misleading.
*First and most importantly... this list is full of people who have never set foot in the SEC as a ballboy much less a coordinator or HC. Big point. Only Orgeron has been in the conference. He could be your only "point" to make.
-Mel Tucker....no comment. We will see. He keeps GETTING jobs for a year or two....but....
-Chip Kelly was an innovative and very successful OC for ten years prior to being a HC. He is still an "offensive" guy as 95% of HCs in college consider themselves one or the other (offense or defense minded).
-Fickell was a DC for 10 years and even an interim HC for a year at OSU. Defensive guy.
-Bronco was a DC for over a decade. Defensive guy.
-Kelly was a HC at smaller institutions for a decade and half before getting a big HC job.
-Dino Babers..offensive guy...and I know he's coached since 1924....and wasn't an OC for long before getting a small HC job. BUT...he had 4 years at 2 places as that small job HC. Now in big boy football....what's his record again?

The only coach I know that hasn't been a mercenary has been Snyder at K State. The rest seemingly move at will with a significant pay increase. Most workers do the same.
For the most part that's true. You could also throw in Kirk Ferentz, Gary Patterson, Pat Fitzgerald, or Mike Gundy on that list.

Just like with coaches, we aren't going to pull the top recruits, especially with NIL. Our coaches are going to have to evaluate better and develop better, and then hope they can keep those players on the roster once they develop.

and yet our offense is #116 in the nation and our defense is atrocious against the run.
I agree that the defense against the rush has been poor. But, we are 44th in Total Defense and 48th in Scoring Defense. That's out of 130 teams. That's good overall defense. Thus, while the rushing defense has been poor, it more than makes up for that in other areas. The offense on the other hand................................

Surely, you're not comparing Coach Saban's background to Beamer's and where you are coaching does matter. Most top programs have history as such and prime recruiting grounds or can recruit nationally because of who they are, none of which SC possesses.
Exactly. Smart may be a great recruiter, but any back slapping excitable hard working coach can recruit to Georgia. Georgia recruits itself. Oklahoma recruits itself. Bama recruits itself.

Exactly. Smart may be a great recruiter, but any back slapping excitable hard working coach can recruit to Georgia. Georgia recruits itself. Oklahoma recruits itself. Bama recruits itself.
Really? Then do tell why each of them has a recruiting coordinator that makes great money? Have you informed each one of these programs how they are idiots?

South Carolina seems to me to be kind of neutral to me when it comes to NIL money for players. Can't see any big money makers right now, but those with talent like Jadeveon Clowney could make some big bucks by endorsing products. Clowney would have done quite well at least.

There are pluses and minuses with every coach and Muschamp was obviously a good recruiter. But potential and production all too often do not match and developing the higher ranked players is a prerequisite to success. Beamer's total numbers so far are holding him back a little in the recruiting ranks but he is bringing in some talent. Let's see what he can do with them through his assistants.

There is an obvious dichotomy with Coach Beamer. Other schools obviously are interested in him already but some Gamecock fans can't wait to get rid of him. Some are afraid he will leave, others are afraid he won't. Go figure.

Last edited:
Per SportsLine, Vegas odds on the next Oklahoma head football coach:

• Brent Venables +400
  • Lane Kiffin +500
  • Mark Stoops +500
  • Matt Campbell +600
  • Luke Fickell +700
  • Jay Norvell +800
  • Bob Stoops +900
  • Josh Heupel +1000
  • Shane Beamer +1100
  • Mario Cristobal +1500
  • Dave Aranda +1500
  • Kliff Kingsbury +2000
Definition of a sucker's bet.

Remember: Vegas exists to profit, not to predict things with accuracy.

I don't think Beamer goes to OK but let's play that thought out . OU was probably blind sided with Riley leaving & I'm not sure that have / had a short list to replace him . Were Beamer to leave , I am certain that Tanner would not have a list at all .

I don't think Beamer goes to OK but let's play that thought out . OU was probably blind sided with Riley leaving & I'm not sure that have / had a short list to replace him . Were Beamer to leave , I am certain that Tanner would not have a list at all .
It would be like my wife when she goes grocery shopping without a list. Lots of the stuff winds up in an old pan outdoors that the buzzards eat out of.

Yeah and our talent level is going to get worse 😳

Tanner probably started a list when Bobo became available. I pray we get better in baseball, it is our only chance for relevance in the college sports world.

Tanner probably started a list when Bobo became available. I pray we get better in baseball, it is our only chance for relevance in the college sports world.
The SEC = football. It's fun to win at other things, but the only SEC stakeholders that don't want success at football are those who have surrendered to the idea that they never can attain it. Are we there yet?

Beamer will not go to OK... He loves Carolina and want to make his mark on this program... Unlike some coaches who comes to Carolina for a paycheck and leave a brown stain mark on the program....
Or you could say that we hired a guy that no one else would hire and paid him way too much. We knew exactly what we were getting with Muschamp. The entire nation saw the disaster at Florida. He milked us for everything he could, with very little success. So who really leaves the brown stain mark on the program?

The SEC = football. It's fun to win at other things, but the only SEC stakeholders that don't want success at football are those who have surrendered to the idea that they never can attain it. Are we there yet?
At this point, It’s virtually impossible for a team to win the SEC for the 1st time. We couldn’t do it. Mizzou couldn’t do it. It’s probably as unlikely to win the SEC for the 1st time as it is to win a NC for the 1st time. I know it sounds like we’re in dire straits, but it’s reality. What team has the best chance? aTm for sure. They take their football seriously and are committed to improving their program and winning. They’re very disappointed at going 8-4.

Ok. Maybe it’s not impossible, but I think our program has to commit to getting out of the cellar. Hell, we’re not consistently competing with Tennessee, Kentucky and Mizzou right now.

After all that.....,.yes, we’re there.

Reactions: king ward
IF he were to leave, the obvious safety net for Ray is up in Conway.

ADVERTISEMENT