ADVERTISEMENT

Big ten conf only scheds

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
It will go all over from here. We will do conférence only as well. No Clemson this year which will be strange but a break at least. Their season will be absolute cakewalk if ACC goes the same route

It will go all over from here. We will do conférence only as well. No Clemson this year which will be strange but a break at least. Their season will be absolute cakewalk if ACC goes the same route
This per ESPN just moments ago

The Big 10 does not have a situation like the SEC VS ACC rivals. The Big 10 annual rivals are actually conference games like Ohio State vs Michigan, Purdue vs Indiana, Minnesota vs Iowa or Wisconsin. Where the SEC and ACC has annual rival games which is South Carolina vs clemson, Georgia vs Georgia Tech, Florida vs Florida State, Kentucky vs Louisville. I think that these SEC vs ACC rival games will still happen this upcoming football season.

Well boys, Dallas School Superintendent just stated he doubts HS football would be played in Texas this year. Let me repeat that for effect, No HS football in TEXAS.
That should pretty much remove the last sliver of hope for any CFB this year.

No not really. Maybe let’s just see how this plays out on college level.

Doubt it will be cancelled. I feel like this is how season will play out. There now is a plan

Yeah, limiting travel is a non starter as to why to do this. Perhaps.............get ready........conferences feel their fellow schools share the same political viewpoints regarding Covid, masks, etc?

Would be a shame if we play football and don’t play Clemson. Longest consecutively played rivalry in the South and 2nd longest in the country. (Major college football). Hope they find a way to keep rivalry games if there is a season.
  • Wisconsin vs Minnesota: 1906-present
  • Clemson vs South Carolina: 1909-present
  • Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State: 1910-present
  • North Carolina State vs Wake Forest: 1910-present
  • Kansas State vs Kansas: 1911-present
  • Mississippi State vs Ole Miss: 1915-present
  • Ohio State vs Michigan: 1918-present
  • Minnesota vs Iowa: 1918-present
  • North Carolina vs Virginia: 1919-present
  • Indiana vs Purdue: 1920-present

I think there is absolutely no way college football or high school football is played this year. Pro football maybe.

How could any high school or college take a chance on law suits that would follow if any player dies from Covid-19? It's just not worth the risk. Plus, no one knows the long term effects Covid-19 has on young people that are asymptomatic. There could be law suits ten years down the road or even longer.

There very well may a vaccine in January or February, I think it is prudent that football is delayed until at least Spring.

I agree Freddie. The Big Ten is just punting the ball down the road. I fear that kicking will be the only football kicking we see this fall at the college level. Otherwise, it makes no sense unless there is a TV reason. Maybe they think they can better guarantee games this way.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Some conferences play nine games, some play eight. Schools in eight-game conferences should be allowed to pick up a ninth game. We should have played UPC. I realize it isn't necessarily our fault if we don't. Don't they have a game with ND this year?

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Each conference should only allow teams to play inside their division - therefore allowing the conference championship to be fair and to continue. Teams in the division can play each other every 2 weeks.

How could any high school or college take a chance on law suits that would follow if any player dies from Covid-19? It's just not worth the risk. Plus, no one knows the long term effects Covid-19 has on young people that are asymptomatic. There could be law suits ten years down the road or even longer.

There very well may a vaccine in January or February, I think it is prudent that football is delayed until at least Spring.
I wonder how anyone can determine where a person contracts the virus.....football, rioting, walking into a 7-Eleven. A very easy defense against law suits.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I wonder how anyone can determine where a person contracts the virus.....football, rioting, walking into a 7-Eleven. A very easy defense against law suits.

Well, when a lot of players on a team contract Covid-19 within a matter of days like Clemson and Alabama one can be assured that the players are spreading the virus to each other. And you could be rested assure that a jury would hold the high school, college, university, etc responsible.

This is simply step one. Pac 12 is set to announce the same this week.

Lost some great matchups
Ohio St @ Oregon
Penn St @ VT
Michigan @Washington
Notre Dame Wisconsin

It's starting to set in now.
Deaths are going to really peak in the next 3 weeks from these numbers also

I understand that cancellation of OOC games is to limit long distance travel, and I have no opposition to that theory. So with that in mind, and focusing just on our schedule, It would have been interesting if the following could be considered.
The travel distance for Mizzou, TAMU, and LSU exceeds travel to Clemson, Charleston and ECU. What if conferences could alter schedules to keep travel truly limited by dropping some conference games but keeping short distance OOC games. I realize that in reality this is an impossibility given the nightmarish negotiations that would be involved in the limited time window that we are in now.
Oh well, just a thought.

I understand that cancellation of OOC games is to limit long distance travel, and I have no opposition to that theory. So with that in mind, and focusing just on our schedule, It would have been interesting if the following could be considered.
The travel distance for Mizzou, TAMU, and LSU exceeds travel to Clemson, Charleston and ECU. What if conferences could alter schedules to keep travel truly limited by dropping some conference games but keeping short distance OOC games. I realize that in reality this is an impossibility given the nightmarish negotiations that would be involved in the limited time window that we are in now.
Oh well, just a thought.

I think the point of limiting the schedule to conference games is so that the conference can have better individual control over scheduling. It's not a travel or distance concern.

Conferences can mix and match the schedule much easier and on an ongoing/real time basis if they are dealing with their own conference teams. Dealing with teams from other conferences, including any restrictions that are unique to those other conferences, just complicates things all the more.

It's a twist on circling the wagons, if you will.

Nebraska plays at Rutgers this year. That's the widest geographical separation within the conference. 1,300 miles. We are closer to A&M than that.

In contrast, they have canceled Nebraska's games against:
Central Michigan: 770 miles
South Dakota State: 290 miles
Cincinnati: 752 miles

I agree that traveling and distance is not the concern, these flights are chartered and everyone on it will have been recently tested and temps constantly taken. It is just easier to deal with the logistics of teams within your conference that you play most every year.

I agree that traveling and distance is not the concern, these flights are chartered and everyone on it will have been recently tested and temps constantly taken. It is just easier to deal with the logistics of teams within your conference that you play most every year.

I don't see how it's any less complicated to coordinate with Rutgers than Cincinnati.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT