ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Bowen?!?!?!?!

Big difference between criminal wrongdoing (FBI) and violation of NCAA rules. Not saying this kid knew anything, but using the resolution of a criminal investigation to establish that no NCAA rules were violated is ludicrous.

UNC was cleared by the NCAA after having false classes with credit to student athletes (and others) because they did it for both. Cleared by FBI means more to me. NCAA would have this guy playing tonight in UNC! Play here or not, it a shame to waste a kid's future because family and business are corrupt. The media slant may determine how this plays out.

UNC was cleared by the NCAA after having false classes with credit to student athletes (and others) because they did it for both. Cleared by FBI means more to me. NCAA would have this guy playing tonight in UNC! Play here or not, it a shame to waste a kid's future because family and business are corrupt. The media slant may determine how this plays out.
But you are talking two completely different things....one is criminal laws (of which he was cleared), the other civil rules and regulations. The two are unrelated. While the NCAA may care what the FBI uncovers with its criminal investigation, the FBI cares nothing for NCAA rules and regulations.

Before we start praising this pickup make no mistake, this is NOT a good move for the school. The FBI has credible evidence this guy's father was caught red handed taking payments. He's a long shot at best to be reinstated, and at worst this guy is guilty as sin and now is affiliated with the university. Not to say that will bring any sanctions on our program, but it's just awful PR. I suspect this was a desperate move to get Zion's attention, but that ship has all but sailed already.
I think FM could have come up with at least 100M ways to get ZW's attention other than try to get this kid on campus. If not, he's got no creativity at all. (ok, well he does seem to lack in that department).

FM is not desperate; he looks for opportunities because he knows he can't out-recruit anyone in his immediate peer group. That's why we end up with so many "project" players.He has a not-good team right now and knows that going forward he needs better players. Why not look where most people are not?

He is also interested in giving kids a chance to prove they are better than the rumors and suspicions. It's backfired on him remarkably often (Felder is the most recent). That's who our coach is, like it or not.

He'll miss our non-conference schedule and 4-5 SEC games. Even so, just his presence on the practice court will make our players better. He could get reinstated early, too, since he's been cleared of wrongdoing and didn't play at all this year (even though he was eligible), but I won't hold my breath for that.
Actually the Fall 2018 semester ends in mid-December per another poster. That may allow him to play immediately after that semester ends.

Reactions: HI Cock
He'll miss our non-conference schedule and 4-5 SEC games. Even so, just his presence on the practice court will make our players better. He could get reinstated early, too, since he's been cleared of wrongdoing and didn't play at all this year (even though he was eligible), but I won't hold my breath for that.

According to all news reports I've read he would be available in mid December when the fall semester ends. So he would miss a handful of games but no conference games.

Big difference between criminal wrongdoing (FBI) and violation of NCAA rules. Not saying this kid knew anything, but using the resolution of a criminal investigation to establish that no NCAA rules were violated is ludicrous.
What rules are you referring to, specifically?

Given that the fbi established he knew nothing about any pay to play... are you suggesting the ncaa will find something the fbi did not?

It seems you are having trouble grasping facts, one of those being louisville could've played the kid on or around Nov 2nd.

Given that the fbi established he knew nothing about any pay to play... are you suggesting the ncaa will find something the fbi did not?

It seems you are having trouble grasping facts, one of those being louisville could've played the kid on or around Nov 2nd.

This is what I was talking about. And evidently, Louisville could not have played Bowen since they declined to seek his reinstatement. And the FBI was looking at a lot of different things than whether something or someone violated an NCAA rule. BTW, the FBI shares very little, if any, of it's investigation until it is complete. They cleared him of criminal charges....that's ALL they care about.

"Bowen was suspended from the Louisville men's basketball program shortly after news broke of the investigation into an alleged payment involving Adidas, Louisville and his father to steer him toward the Cardinals. The school declined to seek his reinstatement with the NCAA."

"Bowen arrived in Columbia, South Carolina, over the weekend and was officially admitted on Monday. Now the school will submit for reinstatement in hopes he will be able to play next season for the Gamecocks."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ruit-brian-bowen-admitted-play-south-carolina

"Bowen's lawyer, Jason Setchen of Miami, told ESPN he was “elated that South Carolina and Coach Martin have given Brian the opportunity to play college basketball. I have the utmost confidence in South Carolina's compliance and ultimately the NCAA. We believe the NCAA, once they have heard all of the evidence, will promptly reinstate Brian.""

http://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...ina/usc-mens-basketball/article194023839.html

Last edited:

BTW, there is absolutely no problem with my "grasping facts" nor my understanding of the difference between the role of the FBI and that of the NCAA and their differing responsibilities.

This is what I was talking about. And evidently, Louisville could not have played Bowen since they declined to seek his reinstatement. And the FBI was looking at a lot of different things than whether something or someone violated an NCAA rule. BTW, the FBI shares very little, if any, of it's investigation until it is complete. They cleared him of criminal charges....that's ALL they care about.

"Bowen was suspended from the Louisville men's basketball program shortly after news broke of the investigation into an alleged payment involving Adidas, Louisville and his father to steer him toward the Cardinals. The school declined to seek his reinstatement with the NCAA."

"Bowen arrived in Columbia, South Carolina, over the weekend and was officially admitted on Monday. Now the school will submit for reinstatement in hopes he will be able to play next season for the Gamecocks."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ruit-brian-bowen-admitted-play-south-carolina

"Bowen's lawyer, Jason Setchen of Miami, told ESPN he was “elated that South Carolina and Coach Martin have given Brian the opportunity to play college basketball. I have the utmost confidence in South Carolina's compliance and ultimately the NCAA. We believe the NCAA, once they have heard all of the evidence, will promptly reinstate Brian.""

http://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...ina/usc-mens-basketball/article194023839.html
@uscfan789 Read Bowen's lawyers statement regarding the NCAA reinstating Bowen and remind me who is misinterpreting whom. You either don't read we'll or don't comprehend to well...or both.

If he didn’t know anything, and yet Louisville refused to play him, why can’t he play for us immediately?

I don't know what he suggested, but I would suggest that the NCAA has different rules than the criminal rules the FBI must live by. The FBI has to prove you knew and had criminal intent. The NCAA can sanction you whether you knew it was an improper benefit or not, as long as it was. The old "I didn't know the coach couldn't buy my lunch if it wasn't an official visit" won't fly. Same if mom is getting the family home's mortgage paid off and comes home with a new car. The recruit doesn't have to know, if he personally benefits then the NCAA can sanction.

Reactions: rogue cock
I don't know what he suggested, but I would suggest that the NCAA has different rules than the criminal rules the FBI must live by. The FBI has to prove you knew and had criminal intent. The NCAA can sanction you whether you knew it was an improper benefit or not, as long as it was. The old "I didn't know the coach couldn't buy my lunch if it wasn't an official visit" won't fly. Same if mom is getting the family home's mortgage paid off and comes home with a new car. The recruit doesn't have to know, if he personally benefits then the NCAA can sanction.
It seems as if you are suggesting the ncaa has NOT ruled on bowens case... which would be news to @rogue cock

Finance/Accounting major. Use the Roman M for 1,000, not the Greek K. A little old school as I have come to find out.
Not that old school. The major wholesale distribution industry (Electrical, plumbing, Hvac, etc.) prices and costs items per each (E), per hundred (C) and per thousand (M).

It seems as if you are suggesting the ncaa has NOT ruled on bowens case... which would be news to @rogue cock

I am just suggesting that the FBI and NCAA play by different rules. Just because the FBI clears someone from criminal charges doesn't mean squat vis-a-vis NCAA rules violations. Maybe he is cleared of those too, but the FBI determination is irrelevant to that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT