ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Bowen?!?!?!?!

Cam played a year at junior college. Bowen is a transfer. How could Bowen be immediately eligible?
Cam played at a JuCo because he was kicked out of Florida. The violation by his dad took place while he was at Blinn College and was being recruited by basically the entire country. So he didn't miss any playing time due to the violation.

Cam played at a JuCo because he was kicked out of Florida.

I understand that. The point is Cam transferred from a 2 year school to a 4 year school. How can Bowen be immediately eligible, if he's transferring from another 4 year school?

Frank has shown time and again he is willing to give players 2nd and 3rd chances as long as they make the effort to clean up their act.
except for the BB gun crew. Only one made it through that mess.

I understand that. The point is Cam transferred from a 2 year school to a 4 year school. How can Bowen be immediately eligible, if he's transferring from another 4 year school?
Didn't play in college I think.If that matters

What are the odds he actually gets the NCAA's blessing to play? Maybe we can get some of that Scam Newton treatment.
Funny how people were so outraged by the Cam Newton fiasco but apparently have no problem welcoming the basketball version of Cam with open arms.

Cam played at a JuCo because he was kicked out of Florida. The violation by his dad took place while he was at Blinn College and was being recruited by basically the entire country. So he didn't miss any playing time due to the violation.

did they ever find the laptop ?

Funny how people were so outraged by the Cam Newton fiasco but apparently have no problem welcoming the basketball version of Cam with open arms.

well Cam at UF was real, lets hear what there is to hear about this.
Pitino has a marked past already, and I think Louisville just cleaned house.
If the young man is ruled eligible, what did he do wrong?

Cam was never ineligible. There's no parallel there.
NCAA transfer rules apply to 4-year schools, not JUCOs. Cam didn't have to sit out a year because he went to JUCO between Florida and Auburn. Bowen is transferring directly from Louisville to SC, therefore he is required to sit out one year.

NCAA transfer rules apply to 4-year schools, not JUCOs. Cam didn't have to sit out a year because he went to JUCO between Florida and Auburn. Bowen is transferring directly from Louisville to SC, therefore he is required to sit out one year.
He hasn't actually played.

Difference being (for me anyway) outrage was at Auburn and the NCAA. They paid for and got to play Cam. Louisville paid for and lost Bowen. We're getting a chance to get him cleanly, and keep him.
Auburn shouldn't have gotten to keep/play Cam. Anger should be directed at the dirty institutions, not the players.

Difference being (for me anyway) outrage was at Auburn and the NCAA. They paid for and got to play Cam. Louisville paid for and lost Bowen. We're getting a chance to get him cleanly, and keep him.
Auburn shouldn't have gotten to keep/play Cam. Anger should be directed at the dirty institutions, not the players.
I'll give credit to Louisville, they did the right thing and released him to transfer anywhere. They were also going to honor his scholarship even though they determined he could not play and suspended him. They are doing their damnedest to get out of this mess unscathed as possible by the NCAA.

Reactions: wentzel25
Correct, this semester and next semester....making him eligible in January of 2019, but not in December of 2018, when the season starts.
I'll bet the school will be working on the NCAA to reinstate him earlier. Their reasoning will be that he ash missed a season. I hope that works for them. Can he practice?

Debunked? He simply said he didn't know, which none of us do. He also said allowing him to play would set a bad precedent

If he said that he basically explained/called that it will happen, remember, "bad precedent" is the NCAA's middle name, LOL

I'll bet the school will be working on the NCAA to reinstate him earlier. Their reasoning will be that he ash missed a season. I hope that works for them. Can he practice?
Well, as someone posted yesterday, the semester actually ends around mid-December, so he may actually be eligible after that. I believe there was also a tweet to that effect yesterday also. Not sure about practice, but would think he could.

While that may seem like an easy comparison, it's not, IMO. Carolina is not getting away with breaking any rules like Auburn was accused. If there were recruiting violations by this kid, he should suffer the consequences. Sounds like he has, as he is not currently eligible.

Before we start praising this pickup make no mistake, this is NOT a good move for the school. The FBI has credible evidence this guy's father was caught red handed taking payments. He's a long shot at best to be reinstated, and at worst this guy is guilty as sin and now is affiliated with the university. Not to say that will bring any sanctions on our program, but it's just awful PR. I suspect this was a desperate move to get Zion's attention, but that ship has all but sailed already.

I think there was a lot of outrage...to the degree that Pitino got fired. If he played at UL, it would have really pissed people off. Cam was not only a thief, but he played at the same school that paid his dad's church. He had also already played the recruiting game in high school...it was his second go around. But since you brought it up, Cam was ruled to be innocent in the eyes of the NCAA, although his story is far more egregious than this one. He won a national championship for the school that supposedly paid him, so there was a lot more riding on it. Plus he beat us twice.

Now if you think that this kid should be punished for life then that is your prerogative. I can say that I would not have batted an eye if this kid ended up at DePaul, and I doubt you would either. I think the kid having to sit out for a year is punishment enough. I feel sorry for these athletes and how adults (and businesses and schools) make money off them. And yes, if he were driving around in a new car or holding up wads of cash in pics online, I would say cut him loose now.

I will say this. If the kid did not know what was going on, but he is never allowed to play college ball, then adidas owes the kid the 75k that they never paid his dad! If everyone is going to say he was bought for 100k, he might as well actually get paid the full sum.

Doubtful that he will ever play college basketball. Sad that we even took him in the first place when other schools had no interest. Reeks of desperation. Although I’m not surprised Frank is never been integrity guy. I love Gamecock b-ball but never been a fan of his. Cussing out players in a rage. Busted twice for cheating at past stops.

Sorry / rant.

Reactions: richardcock5
Before we start praising this pickup make no mistake, this is NOT a good move for the school. The FBI has credible evidence this guy's father was caught red handed taking payments. He's a long shot at best to be reinstated, and at worst this guy is guilty as sin and now is affiliated with the university. Not to say that will bring any sanctions on our program, but it's just awful PR. I suspect this was a desperate move to get Zion's attention, but that ship has all but sailed already.

How is this not a good move? I'm pretty sure the University did their background check before admitting the young man. Even if this was a ploy to get Williamson and doesn't work we are still left with a 5 star, top 15 player in the country!! When was the last time we had one of those? NEVER.
So you are giving this guy a second chance and if the NCAA deems him ineligible then the worst thing to happen is you have an extra student on campus. I'm confused with all the negativity. I see this as a good thing. Holy Crap...

The kid was cleared OF ANY WRONGDOING by the fbi... and in the USA, this means he is innocent. No kid is guilty of the sins of their father.

The kid was cleared OF ANY WRONGDOING by the fbi... and in the USA, this means he is innocent. No kid is guilty of the sins of their father.
Big difference between criminal wrongdoing (FBI) and violation of NCAA rules. Not saying this kid knew anything, but using the resolution of a criminal investigation to establish that no NCAA rules were violated is ludicrous.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT