ADVERTISEMENT

Bush League play or naw?

I expect it will prompt a rules clarification - as it should. If pains are being taken to protect quarterbacks - which they are - then ploys like this will have to be proscribed. The same would apply to any ball-carrier who shows an intention to go down. It's not the same as faking a handoff or a pump-fake.

Should have been ruled down. Started his slide and then backed out of it. ACC refs are trash.
I think this is the way it will eventually be resolved. Assessing a penalty implies intent. Simply blowing the play dead is more about perception. If the official thought the QB was going down, then the same could apply to the defensive players.

I suspect by start of next season, a new rule similar to the fair catch rule will be implemented.

Agreed, and probably should be. They are putting the defender I a no win situation, and now that one qb did it, you can be sure others will rush to copy.

Reactions: DarkCock
The ball would’ve been marked dead where he started to slide. So since he started to slide, this play should be illegal. Defenders clearly let up. This is what happens when you make football soft.
But that is not the rule now. So fair play. I don't disagree that it should be changed

Definitely shouldn't be allowed. Starting the slide is like calling for a fair catch - it changes the rules of what is allowed in terms of contact. You can't take it back when you've made the signal.

Agreed. Also should apply to fake running out of bounds (Aaron Rodgers play comes to mind). Too many flags on guys stepping out at the last second. If it's all about safety then just blow the whistle.

Y'all keep saying he "started the slide." I don't see it. I do think he changed his posture and his pace in order to start the slide - but never actually started it. If you start blowing a play dead every time a player leans back slightly and slows down, you are going to prematurely blow a lot of plays dead right before a nice juke-move.

Y'all keep saying he "started the slide." I don't see it. I do think he changed his posture and his pace in order to start the slide - but never actually started it. If you start blowing a play dead every time a player leans back slightly and slows down, you are going to prematurely blow a lot of plays dead right before a nice juke-move.
"blow a lot of plays dead"...I doubt it. It's only the quarterback who gives himself up.

Rule is if you're not down, or if you don't slide down, you're not down. If they want to change the rule I think it should be that you're down where you faked the slide. I don't think a new penalty needs to be added for a fake slide.

Reactions: ClemDent
The ball would’ve been marked dead where he started to slide. So since he started to slide, this play should be illegal. Defenders clearly let up. This is what happens when you make football soft.
I agree, I heard they're purposing the defense count 1 2 3 mississippi before they rush the QB

• Haha
Reactions: ClemDent
Rule is if you're not down, or if you don't slide down, you're not down. If they want to change the rule I think it should be that you're down where you faked the slide. I don't think a new penalty needs to be added for a fake slide.

I think that’s the rule as it is now.

I don’t see this being a huge issue - I don’t ever remember a fake slide before in my life. But if it ever did become an issue I could also see them adding in a delay of game penalty like they do if you fair catch and start running.

I think that’s the rule as it is now.

I don’t see this being a huge issue - I don’t ever remember a fake slide before in my life. But if it ever did become an issue I could also see them adding in a delay of game penalty like they do if you fair catch and start running.
Then the WFU coach blew it as did the refs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT