ADVERTISEMENT

Candidates for new HC

Heupel looks a little too much like Brad Scott for my liking.

I still think you start at the very top and give Meyer a call. Only if we want to be a top 10 program within 2 years though

Damn!! He sure does. I guess I could go along with it but the resemblance is uncanny.

Like this guy?

0df1faa843f5378f058a68a4ff6801c1

Look at that guy. He looks like he would tear your head off, eat your brains, and put the empty skull back on your neck before you took your last breath.

Seriously, all I heard about Muschamp was how intimidating he was and how he would have to calm down to coach here. I don't find him intimidating at all. (Apparently, the players are not afraid of him either.)

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
And we have all celebrated the Championships we won with them. Oh right.
Holtz had a first-back to back bowl game wins
Spurrier had many first 1st East division win, 3 times in a row 11-2, until his last season...NO losing record in his first 10 years and if he had stuck it out...who knows...probably got tired of us whining...lol...we do that well...I means seriously when you have NO football history you have to take steps forward...sometimes they are just not as fast as we would like...jmho

Reactions: howard13
Holtz had a first-back to back bowl game wins
Spurrier had many first 1st East division win, 3 times in a row 11-2, until his last season...NO losing record in his first 10 years and if he had stuck it out...who knows...probably got tired of us whining”

Spurrier wanted to retire the year before. Our “brilliant” AD, Tanner begged him to stay one more year. When a coach is tired and ready to retire, DON’t try and talk them into staying. We love Coach Tanner, but he is not qualified to be an AD.

Everyone does realize that if any of these names are approached about the job, it will be through back channels and if there is no mutual interest, you will never hear of it......assuming it is done properly. Which then will result in many complaining that the AD didn't do his job and he should've gone after so-and-so.

Not every search is like Tennessee's where everything was in the public eye....thank goodness.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
Everyone does realize that if any of these names are approached about the job, it will be through back channels and if there is no mutual interest, you will never hear of it......assuming it is done properly. Which then will result in many complaining that the AD didn't do his job and he should've gone after so-and-so.

Not every search is like Tennessee's where everything was in the public eye....thank goodness.

Every big school coach these days has agents. Pretty easy to informally talk about whether there is interest. If not, then it is like it never happened. Plus the coach can deny ever talking to anyone. "I just want to win here at XYZ ..."

Every big school coach these days has agents. Pretty easy to informally talk about whether there is interest. If not, then it is like it never happened. Plus the coach can deny ever talking to anyone. "I just want to win here at XYZ ..."
Yeah, that was kinda my point. Fans seldom, if ever, know who or how many candidates were ever approached about an opening.

@masterscock "the not USC"

Laughing
Money talks.

Yep. That's why these coaches are in the business and @stillcocky's budget hires is the reason USC has been unable to attract top notch coaches, Lou and SS exempted.
With SEC money being bank vaulted in that is no longer an excuse. That's how Bama and Mich were able to hire NFL coaches away from pro jobs and there's no reason USC can't do it except for AD and BOT and lame duck president who don't mind forking over others millions to keep a mediocre coach.

My list in order:

Urban Meyer
Mike Leach
Dino Barbers
Les Miles
Bob Stoops
Bobby Bowden (he had Clemson’s number)
Jeff Fisher
Mark Diantonio
Bill Cowher
Brett Venables
Chip Kelly
Charlie Strong
Jim Tressel
Mark Richt
Art Briles

We're going to have to be realistic. There have been some high profile names mentioned, but I seriously doubt we can entice some names I've seen to leave their present situation.
Especially any B1G coaches. No incentive whatsoever to leave and come here and start another buildup job.
Most likely candidate would be an assistant coach or a HC from a G5 school.

We're going to have to be realistic. There have been some high profile names mentioned, but I seriously doubt we can entice some names I've seen to leave their present situation.
Especially any B1G coaches. No incentive whatsoever to leave and come here and start another buildup job.
You didn't think we would get Holtz or Spurrier I guess. A coach with any measure whats to coach and beat the best. The SEC is that place. Had Ga. not hired Smart he was coming to SC. You have an asst. now and a high school coach would be a foolish mistake.

You didn't think we would get Holtz or Spurrier I guess. A coach with any measure whats to coach and beat the best. The SEC is that place. Had Ga. not hired Smart he was coming to SC. You have an asst. now and a high school coach would be a foolish mistake.

Please re-read my post. Again, to leave their present situation. Holtz and Spurrier were not enticed to leave a school they were currently the HC.

You said entice some names. 2 pretty good names that had previous head coaches jobs. You seem to think a top shelf coach would not come here. Some guys want a challenge.
Yes, BUT THEY DID NOT LEAVE A CURRENT HC POSITION. THAT IS MY POINT.
And right now, no I don't think a top shelf coach is going to leave his current gig to come here to clean up a mess.

Reactions: rogue cock
Mike Houston and Josh Heupel should be on the interview list. Someone other than tanner should be doing the hiring.

I expect Tanner is looking closely at the NC High School Football coaches.
Laughing
That might be an upgrade from what we have now.
Lister left off Iowa St. coach. I'll bet he would love the SEC. USC is less of a challenge than Iowa St.

I would like to see Mike Leach on our sidelines.

He's brutally honest, wins and recruit with the best of them. He's also an offensive genius. Any QB worth his weight would love to play for him.
Me, too. Love the way he talks and he could build a winner here and would leave that god forsaken place for the SEC. BUT we need an AD with intestinal fortitude(AKA as......:))to make a hire like that. USC would have been better off to have hired him in the first place. Grade D- for AD's search and hire.

BOZO the CLOWN,,,,,because why would anyone coach here knowing that if they dont have a record like UG or Alabama with in 4 years they would be fired.
Noone said he had to be there in 4 years, Just make better coaching moves and win the games we're suppose to win and the rest will take care of it's self.

Rhule down at Baylor would be someone to look at. He has taken an interesting approach to addressing the inherent difficulty in recruiting down there and it seems to be paying off so far.

Hire Sean McVay as HC away from LA Rams and while at it hire Wade Philips of same team as DC.
If SC can afford an 18M$ buyout of a so far mediocre HC then they sure as hell can afford McVay and Philips.

And oh the SEC Championships Spurrier showered on our school. Spurrier proved the point you can only sort of win at South Carolina. 3 11 win seasons where we didn't play for an SEC championship. That says it all.
and he had the team to win it all...look at the nfl talent on that team...what yall need to realize is spurrier got lucky with all the instate talent with Lattimore,clowney,swearinger,gilmore etc....Clemson and uga fans warned us it would be shortlived but we didn't believe them...and for all you champ haters, I remember when Clemson fans wanted dabo fired after 5 in a row..and we were making fun of their coach..we cant keep changing coaches every 4 yrs and get anywhere... by yalls standards we shoulda fired sos after 4 yrs....we might need some changes next year but we don't need to be starting over yet again..and yea I know, yall didn't like it when they hired him...

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT