ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Steele

I don't think he did. Kirby wanted the UGA job. Maybe on Herman, but I for one am glad we didn't the crap show that is Tom Herman. And Rich Rod was never a real candidate.
Will will do it. If he doesn't he will leave a fully stocked cupboard unlike our "legendary" quitter.And yes I am still angry at Spurrier for not manning up and quitting before the season.

That “Legendary” Quitter is the only reason this program has been relevant in the last thirty years . Hate him all you want , we may never have a run like 2010-2013 or never win an east title again . Never happened before him and probably won’t happen after him either . As far as leaving the cupboard bare , his recruiting classes were pretty much the exact same as they are now under our “Legendary” Recruiter of a Coach . Real question .. What if Spurrier didn’t quit and stayed on for years past his use , like Bowden or Paterno ?? Honestly would we be in different position than we are right now in year 3 of Muschamp ?? I think so . He thought by quiting mid season it would give the AD a jump start in finding a new HC . Was it a good decision ? Probably not but he knew he wasn’t getting it done anymore . I think Muschamp is a good coach and will be successful but all the Spurrier bashing is ridiculous. Just Sick of hearing it . He’s the greatest coach we’ve ever had at USC and that’s not even questionable .

A former Clemson LB diagrammed one their offensive plays against us for me. We had a CB covering an ineligible receiver and not a soul on our sideline saw it. That's coaching.
Coaches can't see it until the player does it. And they can't call a timeout on every play where inexperienced players get caught. I feel relatively sure it was the player's mistake. We tend to think each player has one job out there. But they actually have a different job on every play. A guy who has never played or hardly played in CFB, who has to go against a perennial playoff team, is not that hard to confuse. He doesn't have enough experience to get a gut feeling that something is going to happen. He can have all the natural athleticism in the world but little experience to draw from. Coaches can't go out there and do it for them.

Reactions: rogue cock
We took too long to get out second choice, if that's what he was. I do place a little more faith in your reasoning, though, based on that last paragraph. You had some good stuff in there. Although I say eight wins tops and five years instead of six, depending on how badly things were to go south.

I base the 6th season on the fact that Spurrier did not have a 9 win season until his 6th season. Muschamp is the only coach besides Holtz (9-3) and Brad Scott (6-5) in the past 60 years to post a winning record in his 3rd year coaching here. Only Spurrier (7-6) had a winning record in year 4 in the last 50 years (Dietzel in 1969 was 7-4). So the 3rd and 4th seasons at SC have not been good to our coaches. Which is why several were gone after year 5 (Scott and Woods)

Nobody likes losing to UK, even though they are arguably better than they have been since we joined the conference. I am glad that we are upset because we blew games against TaM and UF...because we used to just get blown out. So maybe we are holding Muschamp to a higher standard, which is good. With the talent Muschamp seems to be bringing in, I have a hard time predicting losing seasons, although I would not be completely shocked if we only win 6 games in 2019 just based on the away games in "toss-up" games. The only way I foresee a firing after 5 seasons would be back to back losing seasons. If that happens, it will be hard to defend Muschamp, unless recruiting is top 15 those years and we have high hopes for the future.

But that's why we play the games, and often agonize over them!

Reactions: dssgateway1
I base the 6th season on the fact that Spurrier did not have a 9 win season until his 6th season. Muschamp is the only coach besides Holtz (9-3) and Brad Scott (6-5) in the past 60 years to post a winning record in his 3rd year coaching here. Only Spurrier (7-6) had a winning record in year 4 in the last 50 years (Dietzel in 1969 was 7-4). So the 3rd and 4th seasons at SC have not been good to our coaches. Which is why several were gone after year 5 (Scott and Woods)

Nobody likes losing to UK, even though they are arguably better than they have been since we joined the conference. I am glad that we are upset because we blew games against TaM and UF...because we used to just get blown out. So maybe we are holding Muschamp to a higher standard, which is good. With the talent Muschamp seems to be bringing in, I have a hard time predicting losing seasons, although I would not be completely shocked if we only win 6 games in 2019 just based on the away games in "toss-up" games. The only way I foresee a firing after 5 seasons would be back to back losing seasons. If that happens, it will be hard to defend Muschamp, unless recruiting is top 15 those years and we have high hopes for the future.

Great post . You bring up some really good points . The thing we gotta be very careful of is turning the excuse wheel every year . It’s so easy to do because they are valid . 2016-Spurrier left a dumpster fire , 2017-Tons of Inexperience and Bad OC, 2018- Terrible Injury issues, 2019- Brutal Schedule , 2020- Breaking in Inexperienced QB . It’s so easy to fall into this trap . At Bama, LSU , OSU etc etc it doesn’t matter , win anyway . Now we are nowhere near their level or reputation but if we want to be there that’s the attitude we need to take as a coaching staff , a fan base and an administration.

Great post . You bring up some really good points . The thing we gotta be very careful of is turning the excuse wheel every year . It’s so easy to do because they are valid . 2016-Spurrier left a dumpster fire , 2017-Tons of Inexperience and Bad OC, 2018- Terrible Injury issues, 2019- Brutal Schedule , 2020- Breaking in Inexperienced QB . It’s so easy to fall into this trap . At Bama, LSU , OSU etc etc it doesn’t matter , win anyway . Now we are nowhere near their level or reputation but if we want to be there that’s the attitude we need to take as a coaching staff , a fan base and an administration.

I earnestly agree. I dislike excuses, however, we must also be rational in regards to expectations. Like I said above, IF we get a few game changers at LB and DB in this class, to mix in with what we have coming back, I foresee a dramatic improvement in the defense. Anything less than top 7 in SEC scoring defense will be a disappointment. I think our DL depth will rival what we had in Spurrier's best 3 seasons, although I do not see a Clowney or Ingram in the bunch at this point. The combination of no speed rusher of the ends and weakness in the secondary is a very bad combination. We all know that speed rushers make the secondary look good and vice versa. Much like improved play at DT will make the LBs look better and vice versa.

Looking at our projected 2-deep and some wishful thinking in regards to how Muschamp may finish this class, one should conclude that the defense will be vastly improved. If not, we will have a major discussion in regards to TRob and Muschamp.

I know that we will miss Bailey and Deebo on offense, but I can tell you that we may be even better next year. I have high hopes for our running game, and think that we should be pretty good at WR still. Ortre will be back, and hopefully Edwards. We have some injured WRs who we don't really know how good they can be (Davis specifically). The OL may take a step back (thought they graded out pretty well this year) and we should be par for the course at TE and QB.

Like I said, finishing strong in recruiting and a solid bowl win would go a long way in exciting the fan base, despite a somewhat disappointing season.

Waaaay back when this thread was about Chris Steele...................

trainn.jpg

See, the farther we go, the , the more people want to fudge. We'll know after five seasons have been completed whether it's worth going on. I'm not saying he has to win the East in five, but I am saying it has to be reasonably foreseeable at that that point. As for this year, A&M was clearly better, although we could have beaten them. There was no excuse for losing that Florida game - none whatsoever.

See, the farther we go, the , the more people want to fudge. We'll know after five seasons have been completed whether it's worth going on. I'm not saying he has to win the East in five, but I am saying it has to be reasonably foreseeable at that that point. As for this year, A&M was clearly better, although we could have beaten them. There was no excuse for losing that Florida game - none whatsoever.

I think after 5 years, many (most?) people were bemoaning the fact that if spurrier could not win here, nobody could. We had just lost to UConn in the pizza bowl and had been thrashed by Iowa the previous season. We were coming off back-to-back 7-6 records. Now maybe you knew what the next 4 years would bring, but I sure as heck did not, despite remaining hopeful.

Thus, I respectfully disagree with you slightly (by 1 year) that we will know for certain whether Muschamp will be the coach to get us back to the SEC championship (which is really all a reasonable fan should hope for until we challenge for it yearly). There were some people who still believed that Spurrier could get it done after 5 years despite a record that would certainly argue against it. The 2009 (Gilmore) and following 2010 recruiting classes (Lattimore) would be the ones to get us SEC championship caliber. If history is repeated, the 2020 and 2021 (pre 6th season and will require current coach in place) recruiting classes will be very important in Muschamp's future at SC. Which would also suggest that he should get a 6th season, unless the wheels are completely off (6 wins or less back to back). Hilinski would project as a RS soph or junior at that point, fwiw.

I don't intend to fudge, so I apologize if I am doing so. I also know that it is doubtful that I can change your mind, as I am aware you are relatively dogmatic in your opinions, which I respect greatly.

Ultimately, I worry a little less about wins and losses and more about recruiting the next few years. If Will is not recruiting a bit better than we are now, that will be a better predictor than records for whether he can get it done.

I do know that he is missing his son's basketball games to recruit, so I guess he has his priorities in the order we want them!

I think after 5 years, many (most?) people were bemoaning the fact that if spurrier could not win here, nobody could. We had just lost to UConn in the pizza bowl and had been thrashed by Iowa the previous season. We were coming off back-to-back 7-6 records. Now maybe you knew what the next 4 years would bring, but I sure as heck did not, despite remaining hopeful.

Thus, I respectfully disagree with you slightly (by 1 year) that we will know for certain whether Muschamp will be the coach to get us back to the SEC championship (which is really all a reasonable fan should hope for until we challenge for it yearly). There were some people who still believed that Spurrier could get it done after 5 years despite a record that would certainly argue against it. The 2009 (Gilmore) and following 2010 recruiting classes (Lattimore) would be the ones to get us SEC championship caliber. If history is repeated, the 2020 and 2021 (pre 6th season and will require current coach in place) recruiting classes will be very important in Muschamp's future at SC. Which would also suggest that he should get a 6th season, unless the wheels are completely off (6 wins or less back to back). Hilinski would project as a RS soph or junior at that point, fwiw.

I don't intend to fudge, so I apologize if I am doing so. I also know that it is doubtful that I can change your mind, as I am aware you are relatively dogmatic in your opinions, which I respect greatly.

Ultimately, I worry a little less about wins and losses and more about recruiting the next few years. If Will is not recruiting a bit better than we are now, that will be a better predictor than records for whether he can get it done.

I do know that he is missing his son's basketball games to recruit, so I guess he has his priorities in the order we want them!
Agree. And I was one of those who believed Spurrier could no longer get it done. Thought keeping Hunt too long was going to be his downfall because it takes a few years to build a quality OL, and was ready for younger blood as a HC. Learned to have patience with coaches on that one, because there was very little indication he was going to turn it around.

Reactions: patback33
That “Legendary” Quitter is the only reason this program has been relevant in the last thirty years . Hate him all you want , we may never have a run like 2010-2013 or never win an east title again . Never happened before him and probably won’t happen after him either . As far as leaving the cupboard bare , his recruiting classes were pretty much the exact same as they are now under our “Legendary” Recruiter of a Coach . Real question .. What if Spurrier didn’t quit and stayed on for years past his use , like Bowden or Paterno ?? Honestly would we be in different position than we are right now in year 3 of Muschamp ?? I think so . He thought by quiting mid season it would give the AD a jump start in finding a new HC . Was it a good decision ? Probably not but he knew he wasn’t getting it done anymore . I think Muschamp is a good coach and will be successful but all the Spurrier bashing is ridiculous. Just Sick of hearing it . He’s the greatest coach we’ve ever had at USC and that’s not even questionable .

you're full of crap. But thanks for your opinion. Spurrier was hired and paid for his best efforts through out his tenure. After a couple of great season without any championships, he punked out on us and kicked up his heels. The great recruits went elsewhere and the program took a sharp dive. He destroyed it as soon as he got it close to the top of the SEC. We can hold him accountable while appreciating the four years of achievement. Considering how many players from those teams are doing well in the NFL, it's very revealing he didn't win the SEC. He only won the East once. All those wins, and he still underachieved

Reactions: rogue cock
you're full of crap. But thanks for your opinion. Spurrier hired and paid for his best efforts through out his tenure. After a couple of great season without any championships, he punked out on us and kicked up his heels. The great recruits went elsewhere and the program took a sharp dive. He destroyed it as soon as he got it close to the top of the SEC. We can hold him accountable while appreciating the four years of achievement. Considering how many players from those teams are doing well, it's very revealing he didn't win the SEC. He only won the East once. All those wins, and he still underachieved
Got us some great wins, but could not consistently beat the teams he was supposed to. The Auburn and UK games really got me sick....how the hell do you lose those?

Reactions: lawcalcock
you're full of crap. But thanks for your opinion. Spurrier hired and paid for his best efforts through out his tenure. After a couple of great season without any championships, he punked out on us and kicked up his heels. The great recruits went elsewhere and the program took a sharp dive. He destroyed it as soon as he got it close to the top of the SEC. We can hold him accountable while appreciating the four years of achievement. Considering how many players from those teams are doing well, it's very revealing he didn't win the SEC. He only won the East once. All those wins, and he still underachieved

Ok thanks for your opinion now I’m gonna give you FACTS . Now I know that is a very difficult phenomenon for some of you guys to understand but here you go :

In 100 + years of football before SOS we went to 11 Bowls and Won 3 . 0-9 until 1995 . Spurrier coached 11 years , we went to 9 Bowl Games winning 6 of those . So in 11 years he won DOUBLE the amount of bowls this program had won in 100+ YEARS !!!

Steve Spurrier’s Winning Percentage at USC was .637 . Not one Coach with more than 20 games coached had a winning percentage over .600 . The closest one was Warren Giese in 1956-1960 at .570 . Guess who the second closest is ... Will Muschamp at .579

USC had NEVER beaten Florida , Clemson and UT in the same season since joining the SEC in 91 . Spurrier did it three times . Not to mention beating Clemson 5 years in a row which had never happened .

USC had won more than 10 games once in 100+ years . SOS did it Three times not to mention being ranked in the top ten of final coaches 3 years in a row . Never happen before . In 1984 we finished 11th at 10-2

Should I keep going ...... Hate him all you want for leaving mid season , he’s still the greatest coach in USC history .

Last edited:

To put the case more succinctly, here's the deal: it never was going to matter how long it took Spurrier or even Holtz to get the program turned because a place like the University of South Carolina was never going to be in a position to fire either one of them for coaching alone. Those were Hall of Fame coaches with national championships to their credit. Neither Muschamp nor any other journeyman coach is going to get the kind of latitude the other two received, especially a man who has already been fired from one SEC job.

To put the case more succinctly, here's the deal: it never was going to matter how long it took Spurrier or even Holtz to get the program turned because a place like the University of South Carolina was never going to be in a position to fire either one of them for coaching alone. Those were Hall of Fame coaches with national championships to their credit. Neither Muschamp nor any other journeyman coach is going to get the kind of latitude the other two received, especially a man who has already been fired from one SEC job.

Well, we are not in a position to fire coaches with winning records either.

Reactions: PC31 and rogue cock
Back to the original topic... doesn’t sound great on the Chris Steele front. Sounds like most think he’s headed to UF at this point

He was off the radar until 2 weeks ago. Should not be a big disappointment if he goes to UF. Now there are a few others that will be disappointments if we miss. We have to shore up the defense to be successful. All the best USC teams won with defense. We have a number of above average teams who won some with offense.

If that's the ceiling over time, it wouldn't be good enough, no, sir.

100% agree long term...but it gets a 6th year.

I am bored of this...we are splitting hairs as we basically agree. I think we both prefer that Muschamp succeeds. Doomsday scenarios are unhealthy.

I doubt we get him. I have a feeling we probably have about a 30% chance. I think UF leads and we're in 2nd. The others are just there because the kid likes the attention. I will assume we aren't getting him. Then, if we do, it will be a really pleasant surprise.
Gamecock wisdom: Expect very little. It's difficult to be disappointed.

Wake you up ?? Grow up.
Muschamp has been here only 3 years. SOS was here many years and it took him over 5 years before he stared to turn the program around
But you go get your rest. lol

He beat Florida and UT his first year . That had never happened before . That Florida team won the national Title the next year . He beat a ranked UGA and a Ranked Clemson team his second year . Even in the 6-6 year he beat a top ten ranked Kentucky team . You are right , it was year 5 before he really got the ball rolling but he was knocking off teams that he shouldn’t have won against very early . Think it’s a little unfair to be comparing Will Muschamp to Steve Spurrier and I’m sure Muschamp would say the same thing . Spurrier will go down as one of the greatest college coaches of all time and Muschamps career in really just getting started . Muschamp has many many years left to prove what he can and can’t do .

Wake you up ?? Grow up.
Muschamp has been here only 3 years. SOS was here many years and it took him over 5 years before he stared to turn the program around
But you go get your rest. lol
You must be either a new fan or senile. Go back and look. Apology accepted.

He beat Florida and UT his first year . That had never happened before . That Florida team won the national Title the next year . He beat a ranked UGA and a Ranked Clemson team his second year . Even in the 6-6 year he beat a top ten ranked Kentucky team . You are right , it was year 5 before he really got the ball rolling but he was knocking off teams that he shouldn’t have won against very early . Think it’s a little unfair to be comparing Will Muschamp to Steve Spurrier and I’m sure Muschamp would say the same thing . Spurrier will go down as one of the greatest college coaches of all time and Muschamps career in really just getting started . Muschamp has many many years left to prove what he can and can’t do .
Exactly. Year 3 with champ and we have a win over a TN team that self destructed in the locker room that night. With Spurrier you knew it was just a matter of time...with champ...Meh

I agree with you . His first two years were a miracle . I stated that he’s done a really good job here . Also the FACTS are this class is ranked 9th in the conference . The FACTS are we still can’t beat ranked teams especially our rivals . What Champ did with the first recruiting class was a damn miracle . He works harder than any coach we’ve ever had. He was dealt a tough hand but to turn it around he’s gotta start pulling in classes that can compete with the big boys . Now if 7-5 or 8-4 is gonna be our ceiling then we are right where we need to be . Every press conference after a losing game what does he say ?? “Gotta Recruit Better “.

Played 6 ranked teams this season and won 1. Unfortunately, the offense did not become effective until the 2nd half of the Texas AM game with Bentley as QB. Also, when the offense was rolling, the defense was decimated with injuries and we could not stop anyone.

We do have a talented roster though that is good enough to beat ranked opponents and this class will add more talented depth. Average stars / player of the 16 commits is 3.5 and if you breakdown the offensive and defensive classes by each recruits rating, our defensive class is slightly ahead of Clemson's and our offensive class is slightly behind.

you're full of crap. But thanks for your opinion. Spurrier was hired and paid for his best efforts through out his tenure. After a couple of great season without any championships, he punked out on us and kicked up his heels. The great recruits went elsewhere and the program took a sharp dive. He destroyed it as soon as he got it close to the top of the SEC. We can hold him accountable while appreciating the four years of achievement. Considering how many players from those teams are doing well in the NFL, it's very revealing he didn't win the SEC. He only won the East once. All those wins, and he still underachieved

I am glad you and I plus majority on here can clearly see this ! But as you noted the guy is full of crap and obviously very immature or just does not follow it closely

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT