ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson's play off expectations

If directed at my take....It has always appeared that they look more at the type of wins you have than the loss(es). Clemson has made it a couple of times with a "bad" loss but having a signature win or two.
Won’t argue that but when you lost matters as well. They will be sitting at the top of the one losers in my opinion

Reactions: rogue cock
If Clemson runs it out the rest of the season, you are going to see them get compared to the Alabama 2017 team. Obviously not the exact same scenario but pretty darn close.
Alabama lost to Auburn for the final game of the year and missed out on the SECCG.
Obviously it took some other losses in other conferences but what pushed Alabama over to the #4 spot was their previous years results.

Without a doubt Clempson will get the same respect this year.
With that said; if they barely beat a few teams that end up 7-6 or something. That will give people more to talk about.
I feel bad for the ACC teams they are about to play. (And possibly their first string players)
Dabo isn't going to pull his first string until they are winning by 35+ points every game now.
You might actually see an uptick in Clempson injuries this year if Dabo resorts to trying to crush every team to get put back into NCP discussion.

They need to lose another game. They lost by 7 to a top 5 team. If they win out they are likely in. Hate it, but that’s probably what would happen.

That said, I feel like they have issues and will slip up somewhere. Another loss and they are done.

Good chance. They just don't play anyone with a pulse. They always have that 1 ACC game were it gets dicey every year and unlike other years dont have the luxury off dropping it. Clemson has started a gradual drop-off. Its not showing up in normal games against inferior competition but its has shown up against the last 3 bigtime opponents they've played. They have a super pedestrian oline. The skill players have dropped off bigtime from the 5 year run they had. They're still a heck of a program but I believe they've fallen from that level.

Man I nailed it other than thinking they had a chance at the playoff......

Clemson still has Florida State next week - they are 3-4 and 2-2, but have won their last 3 games including @ North Carolina. They play @ Clemson but maybe starting to gain momentum??

Then they play @ Louisville Nov. 6th - UL is 4-3 like Clemson and 2-2 in the ACC. They play @ NC State this next Sat. They beat Florida State and Boston College.

Then they play a hapless Connecticut which will be a win for them. But after THAT, they host Wake Forest who is the surprise team of the ACC and is currently undefeated at 7-0, 4-0. Wake first plays UNC and then NC St., so things could change, but right now Wake Forest looks to be the toughest conference team Clemson will face this season. That could be the next loss for the Tigers.

And then they come to Williams-Brice to play us. Perhaps they will be 7-4 at best when they come.....

Won’t argue that but when you lost matters as well. They will be sitting at the top of the one losers in my opinion

Clemson has now lost three games. I doubt they go anywhere. Those one loss teams of the past few years made it by winning the ACC. But, I have been feeling the earth move under my feet recently. I think strength of schedule is becoming much more important. When a mid major school makes the playoffs and is blown out in an unwatchable game, things will change even more. It’s your job to select the best team, let’s say. Which will you choose, a one loos Alabama team or Cincinnati?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT