ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Ray Tanner Do Everyone A Favor and Resign As AD That is What Is Best For The University of South Carolina.

Crazy Cock 89

Nov 27, 2011
Most of our fans have lost confidence in your Ability To Hire Good Coaches and Manage Our Athletic Dept.

You have had your chance. The University of South Carolina has fallen further and further behind especially in Men's Sports. Except in Women's Basketball, Women's Soccer, Equestrian, and other Women's Sports. The University of South Carolina Athletic Department has become a laughing stock.

All of this while Clemson is consistently Competing for and Winning National Championships in Football from Year to Year. You are a Great Baseball Coach and We appreciate your contributions by winning Two Baseball National Titles.

The AD job isn't working out for You and It isn't working out for The University of South Carolina.

This is the Hard Truth.

Couldn't agree more. The era of placing coaches in AD positions effectively ended in the 1980s. We need a professional AD, not a guy who negotiated a cushy retirement after great success as a baseball coach. If our next football coach doesn't succeed, apathy will kill football at USC. It's too important to let Ray be involved.

So far, there is not much to go on. If Tanner makes a great hire this time (assuming he learned something the first time) all is forgiven. If he makes another bone-headed hire then I'm probably going to lose interest in football. I'm certainly not going to give them money.

Bone-headed hires:

Les Miles
Charlie Strong
Chad Morris
Mark Richt

Give it a rest.
I agree, enough! Men’s basketball made the Final Four and is in the top half of the SEC every year. Give Kingston a chance for crying out loud. I do agree with the Muschamp hire being a head scratcher but pulling the plug this year showed a lot of intestinal fortitude!

The fact that Tanner gets another hire is a joke, the fact that by all accounts he is extremely close to hiring Shane Beamer as HC is sad, the Dabo comparisons are ridiculous, he's a discount dabo, and his alma matar VT wants nothing to do with him. Tanner hires whoever Jimmy Sexton tells him too.

Maybe in 5 years when we are in this same position again we will have a competent AD who will hire the best candidate who will win games rather than the nicest person, but I won't get my hopes up. Beamer isn't qualified to be cheerleader coach much less Head Coach. It defies all reason and logic just like the Muschamp hire.

I agree, enough! Men’s basketball made the Final Four and is in the top half of the SEC every year. Give Kingston a chance for crying out loud. I do agree with the Muschamp hire being a head scratcher but pulling the plug this year showed a lot of intestinal fortitude!
If Muschamp wasn't let go now there was a good chance of losing the entire fanbase.

You can't make this up. Tanner has been a failure as AD. He has done nothing to improve the athletic department. It has been in a steady decline since his hire. All the facility upgrades were already planned under Hyman's watch with the exception of changing some commodes Williams-Brice.

But now that he finally, and I mean FINALLY, pulled the plug on the Muschamp debacle he has the "intestinal fortitude" to make the move. This has to be the funniest thing I have read on these boards.

You can't make this up. Tanner has been a failure as AD. He has done nothing to improve the athletic department. It has been in a steady decline since his hire. All the facility upgrades were already planned under Hyman's watch with the exception of changing some commodes Williams-Brice.

But now that he finally, and I mean FINALLY, pulled the plug on the Muschamp debacle he has the "intestinal fortitude" to make the move. This has to be the funniest thing I have read on these boards.

This is completely false, but keep pushing the narrative.

Reactions: rogue cock

That is the most laughable statement I've heard on here or any other site....absolutely ridiculous. You definitely do not know what the hell you are talking about.

Reactions: gamecockluke
Most of our fans have lost confidence in your Ability To Hire Good Coaches and Manage Our Athletic Dept.

You have had your chance. The University of South Carolina has fallen further and further behind especially in Men's Sports. Except in Women's Basketball, Women's Soccer, Equestrian, and other Women's Sports. The University of South Carolina Athletic Department has become a laughing stock.

All of this while Clemson is consistently Competing for and Winning National Championships in Football from Year to Year. You are a Great Baseball Coach and We appreciate your contributions by winning Two Baseball National Titles.

The AD job isn't working out for You and It isn't working out for The University of South Carolina.

This is the Hard Truth.
B.S.
You guys act like we have a great tradition in football. With the exception of a few years under Spurrier (one of the greatest college coaches of all time), USC football has been consistently bad or mediocre at best.

What has Ray done? Kept USC as one of less than 2 dozen athletics departments that operates in the black every year (non-Covid years). Continued to successfully upgrade all athletics department facilities for all sports. He kept Dawn Staley from going on interview to another power 5 school a few years back and locked her up long term.

Football has been crap from most of its history, yet the program still lives on. Muschamp wasn't the greatest hire (although it looked pretty good the first couple of years), but it's what we got left with after Kirby Smart ditched USC at the last minute (That's a fact.) And don't tell me that hiring Holbrook was a bad hire: it was absolutely the right hire at the time, but it just didn't work out. It was still the right hire to make at the time.

The better question is who do you think USC could have gotten instead of Muschamp at that time that fans would have accepted (Tom Herman wasn't coming here and he will likely get canned from Texas because he's not cutting it there, nor was Lincoln Riley.)

Football sucks right now, but that's nothing new. All the other sports have had success under Ray's watch and many of them are consistent winners. We no longer have our head coaches leaving to take other power 5 jobs because of Ray.

Making the decision during the pandemic did show a determination! We all agree that the plug would have been pulled last year except for the buyout (which Tanner negotiated, I know). Still, making the decision this year was the right move and we were basically the first school to do it this year

The better question is who do you think USC could have gotten instead of Muschamp at that time that fans would have accepted (Tom Herman wasn't coming here and he will likely get canned from Texas because he's not cutting it there, nor was Lincoln Riley.)

Football sucks right now, but that's nothing new. All the other sports have had success under Ray's watch and many of them are consistent winners. We no longer have our head coaches leaving to take other power 5 jobs because of Ray.
There are 130 head coaches in the FBS. I will never understand why some people suggest muschamp is the only one we could of hired after Herman and Smart opt out. It was a lazy hire. Muschamp earned respect as a DC at Texas but after he left Texas his resume is empty.
Football is the most important sport. It puts 80,000 in the stands. Mens basketball is a distance second. Nobody outside of USC cares about our womens basketball team, or our baseball team. You screw up the football hire and you have screwed up everything.

Again, I refer you to last time. Firms bring conflicts of interest.

For starters, why does it always have to be us paying "an outside firm" ?
That's our #1 problem. We think we can just pay our way to anything.
We used to think we were superior to Clemson because we had more money.

Don't you think we have a network that could function just like some "outside firm", and probably much more surreptitiously at that?
This is not rocket surgery.
People know who is available.
And we could very easily contact anyone we wanted without raising red flags.

We are not very creative if we really think "an outside firm" is the solution.

How are you going to go about doing the search then? Have the AD call a coach who is under contract in the middle of the season?

Go ahead...try it.

Again, I refer to you to last time.

For starters, why does it always have to be us paying "an outside firm" ?
That's our #1 problem. We think we can just pay our way to anything.
We used to think we were superior to Clemson because we had more money.

Don't you think we have a network that could function just like some "outside firm", and probably much more surreptitiously at that?
This is not rocket surgery.
People know who is available.
And we could very easily contact anyone we wanted without raising red flags.

You must not be a very creative individual if you think "an outside firm" is the solution.
The outside firm is used to vet the candidate or candidates. Same firm Ole Miss used last year to vet Kiffin.

And, no, you can not make direct contacts. Which is often why there are several layers of go-betweens.

So, a firm vetted Muschamp last time?

I think my point is proven.

The outside firm is used to vet the candidate or candidates. Same firm Ole Miss used last year to vet Kiffin.

And, no, you can not make direct contacts. Which is often why there are several layers of go-betweens.

The fact that Tanner gets another hire is a joke, the fact that by all accounts he is extremely close to hiring Shane Beamer as HC is sad, the Dabo comparisons are ridiculous, he's a discount dabo, and his alma matar VT wants nothing to do with him. Tanner hires whoever Jimmy Sexton tells him too.

Maybe in 5 years when we are in this same position again we will have a competent AD who will hire the best candidate who will win games rather than the nicest person, but I won't get my hopes up. Beamer isn't qualified to be cheerleader coach much less Head Coach. It defies all reason and logic just like the Muschamp hire.

If Tanner hires Beamer we are right royally screwed. But then again count on Tanner to make the dumbest move. We get this opportunity and like we did 5 years ago, and mark my words we will make the worst decision if Tanner has input. Incompetent administrators reside at USC.

And then folks say you cannot win at Carolina. Nah! It is the extremely poor decision making. For heaven sake get Tanner out of there. It is a feeling of dread knowing that he is leading this search, let alone being involved.

There are 130 head coaches in the FBS. I will never understand why some people suggest muschamp is the only one we could of hired after Herman and Smart opt out. It was a lazy hire.
Yep and laziness was why he begged SS to stay on after he was burned out and ready to retire. He would have had to do a little work to replace SS.
He and WM were in a race to see who could get fatter while pulling in those big unearned checks from USC.
RT has been a disaster at hiring coaches which is his most important job.

How are you going to go about doing the search then? Have the AD call a coach who is under contract in the middle of the season?

Go ahead...try it.
Doesn’t this happen all the time? I recall coaches not finishing a season with their current team after accepting another position, right?

Reactions: Tyrannosaurus cox
Doesn’t this happen all the time? I recall coaches not finishing a season with their current team after accepting another position, right?
No, zero contact between school and coach during the season....it's done between third parties. During the season or prior to the bowl game? I remember a lot prior to the bowl game but none prior to the end of the season unless its not a head coach.

B.S.
You guys act like we have a great tradition in football. With the exception of a few years under Spurrier (one of the greatest college coaches of all time), USC football has been consistently bad or mediocre at best.

What has Ray done? Kept USC as one of less than 2 dozen athletics departments that operates in the black every year (non-Covid years). Continued to successfully upgrade all athletics department facilities for all sports. He kept Dawn Staley from going on interview to another power 5 school a few years back and locked her up long term.

Football has been crap from most of its history, yet the program still lives on. Muschamp wasn't the greatest hire (although it looked pretty good the first couple of years), but it's what we got left with after Kirby Smart ditched USC at the last minute (That's a fact.) And don't tell me that hiring Holbrook was a bad hire: it was absolutely the right hire at the time, but it just didn't work out. It was still the right hire to make at the time.

Let's just become a Ladies Basketball School like UConn. If we aren't going to have standards let's just shut down Our Football Program. Why even bother.

Excuses are for losers. Coastal Carolina is better than we are. Something is wrong with this picture.

We suck in Football, Men's Basketball and Baseball. We as Loyal Fans Deserve Better than This. If you can't see this I don't know what to tell you.

We didn't Suck in Football under Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier. A good Coach can win here. And Could win Big. Spurrier proved that, himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: SOSUSC
Let's just become a Ladies Basketball School like UConn. If we aren't going to have a standards let's just shut down Our Football Program. Why even bother.

Excuses are for losers. Coastal Carolina is better than we are. Something is wrong with this picture.

We suck in Football, Men's Basketball and Baseball. We as Loyal Fans Deserve Better than This. If you can't see this I don't know what to tell you?

We didn't Suck in Football under Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier. A good Coach can win here. And Could win Big. Spurrier proved that, himself.
Would this be "sucking"?

7-5
8-5
6-6
7-6
7-6

Just curious.

Why not? To most it would.
Um, Ray Tanner gave Muschamp a contract extension after winning 7 games. Putting that aside, take a look at our history. That's better than average. You also, for obvious reasons, left out the other seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT